Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Johnstone
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Sport & Leisure
Gwynplaine
I recall Glesga mothers in the high street, warning their children not to cross the street until the light was green. Specifically, I recall them telling their weans: 'Wait for Jimmy Johnstone.' This refers to the fact that the green crossing light is shaped like a little man. Johnstone's "fitba" strip was green, and he was very short ... so, the wee green man in the crossing light was cried Jimmy Johnstone! I wonder if the townies in other British cities have comparable nicknames for their crossing signals.
prince21
QUOTE (Gwynplaine @ 7th Jul 2005, 04:23am) *
I recall Glesga mothers in the high street, warning their children not to cross the street until the light was green. Specifically, I recall them telling their weans: 'Wait for Jimmy Johnstone.' This refers to the fact that the green crossing light is shaped like a little man. Johnstone's "fitba" strip was green, and he was very short ... so, the wee green man in the crossing light was cried Jimmy Johnstone! I wonder if the townies in other British cities have comparable nicknames for their crossing signals.

Jimmy ( Jinky) was the greatest and bravest footballer of all time. He was a true Lisbon Lion. On another point i had a pleasant 2 hours in Woodside baths yesterday. The last time i was there was over 50 years ago when the school took us there every Friday afternoon for our swimming lessons. I will certainly be back there more often.
taurus
you were so lucky to get swimming lessons at school. Believe it or not,when I wen to Charlotte St ,we lay on a board thing on the gymnasium floor,,and the teacher showed us how to move our arms and legs,swimming lesson over !! and we were only metres from Greenhead baths too. Too much time wasted teaching religion and swimming lessons would have been better. I`m terrified of water ,but got all my kids taught.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.