Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Rogers In Glasgow 1954
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow Discussions
Dexter St. Clair
Last year in Times past The Evening Times printed a photograph of Roy Roger and Trigger ascending the stairs in the Central Hotel Glasgow in 1954.

Did any of you actually see Roy in Glasgow and would you mind sharing your memories?
carmella
I didn't see him in Glasgow Dexter, but all I can remember as clearly now as it was at the time, was his plane landing at Prestwick Airport out he came with Dale onto the steps, and then from the back of the plane came Trigger.

It was a marvellous thing for a wee lassie to see. My father had me on his shoulders so that I could see Roy Rogers hahaha - this was where he landed - or where everyone landed in those days when they came to Scotland from the States. Of course, I had no idea then that he was going to Glasgow.

It's a great memory for me!
andypisces1
Did not see his stage show, however they stabled trigger just off of parliamentary rd. I was 15 at the time and worked for john menzies. I used to collect books from collins the publishers. I happened to be walking by the stable when they were getting trigger ready to go to the rehearsals or something and roy was there too. Like Carmella it was a great thrill to see them......andy
Rab-oldname
Roy Rogers, 'King of the Cowboys'. Apparently he glued his white stetson hat on his head when acting. When he went into a fist-fight, his hat never came aff! laugh.gif
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (andypisces1 @ 24th Jun 2005, 03:12 AM)
Did not see his stage show, however they stabled trigger just off of parliamentary rd. I was 15 at the time and worked for john menzies. I used to collect books from collins the publishers. I happened to be walking by the stable when they were getting trigger ready to go to the rehearsals or something and roy was there too. Like Carmella it was a great thrill to see them......andy

thanks Andy

But you've bust anothr myth. I always believed Trigger had his own room at The Central and slept in a King size bed. I mean I've seena photo of him and Roy signing the register wink.gif
Riddrieperson
In 1954 I was only seven and still living in Coalsnaughton but,I do remember my father going in there on some kind of bus trip to see him.My first memory of seeing anything like a superstar was Connie Francis at the Alhambra theatre in 1960,or maybe 1961.I also recall seeing Brenda Lee and Dionne Warwicke in Glasgow in the early 60s.Dionne,at the Apollo,and Brenda,I don`t remember where.
herbie
my sister presented roy rodgers with a bunch of flowers at the door of the central hotel i am lookjng a copy of the photo anybody help please reply?
TeeHeeHee
Didn't see him in Glasgow.
At that time I, as a ten year old, was being held for questioning of "rustling" (pit ponies) in Blantyre police station with my mate.
Remember a copper bringing Roy Rogers and Trigger into the conversation as a threat, tongue.gif
auldbutcher
ah wis a hoppy fan him an silver ,in the late 40s at 9 or 10 , there wis ah lotta cowboys ,tex ritter ,gene autry ,cisco kid etc me an my pals luved darango kid we thought roy was too soft the wie he dressed . hey man we wis kids o the streets wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
Whit aboot the 24 hoor cowboy?
Aw day Murphy. rolleyes.gif
RonD
There was plenty of Westerns at the pictures and on the Tellie but Roy wasn't my favourite because he would sometime use jeeps or trucks when chasing baddies. Even as a child I was history buff and felt they all should be on horses. So my favourites were ol' Hopalong and the Lone Ranger. I remember in the Autumn getting home in the dark from being at the Saturday matinee, after running home to see the Lone Ranger. biggrin.gif
Tommy Kennedy
You got me fantasising:

Me and Carmella playing Cowboys & Cowgirls;
I'm Roy Rogers, Carmella Dale. rolleyes.gif

Now here's my wee daft 'Cowboy poem' I wrote

'When I was a lad I went to the movies
and was enraptured by the OLd West.
I first rode with Gene Autry
Down Mexico Way - Smiley Burnette bumbled behind.
Then with Roy Rogers, singing his songs, Gabby Hayes mumbled along.
I helped Randolph Scott clean up Kansas City,
Rode with Errol Flynn into old San Atone, killing baddies dead by the dozen.
I helped John Wayne save wagon trains from Injun attacks, Jimmy Stewart helped some as well

I fought at the Alamo with Davy Crocket and Jim Bowie
Giving old Sam Houston time to muster forces

I wasn't always a goody, I rode with the Wild Bunch as well
Racing for the Rio Grande with a posse in pursuit.

Now I'm a grandad, grandkids sitting on my knee
We're blasting aliens left and right on the computer
But it's ne're so much fun as when I was a lad
And rode with the best in the West
TeeHeeHee
Well, Tommy, I couldn't let you bring the"Duke" intae this without quoting his line from True Grit where he eventually faces the fugitive Jeb (Robert Duval) and calls down to him in the gully;-

Rooster Coburn: "JEB"

Jeb: ... "Ah hear ya, Rooster"

RC: ... "Jeb, Ah've come ta take ya in, and see ya stand trial, and hang, at Judge Carters convenience. What do ya say?"

Jeb ... "Well that's mighty big talk fer a one-eyed fat man,"

RC ... " Well fill your hands you sonovabitch"
Gallusbisom
I noticed in an earlier post that Hopalong Cassidy had been mentioned. Did he not make an appearance in Glasgow too at some point? I seem to remember him travelling in a open limo from Prestwick Airport through Kilmarnock and on to Glasgow. He was wearing cowboy apparel and a very large stetson hat. A lot of people stood at the kerb to wave etc. Circa 1952???

Mind you I could be just having a senior moment and it could have been one of the others, they memory of it is fleeting, just like the brain these days.
Tommy Kennedy
Thinking of taking a trip to Ayr rolleyes.gif But since Carmella indicates she was into cowboy films, had a cowgirls outfit, I don't know whether I should get a 'Fireman's Outfit' or a 'Cowboy's outfit' laugh.gif

Yes, THH, , The 'Duke' could deliver the B****t lines

'Mess wi' me', he tells the baddie, 'An' I'll send you to hell'

And to one of the baddies henchmen: 'Tell ya boss am a comin' an' hell is comin wi' me'
carmella
If you were a Fireman's outfit with a cowboy hat Tommy - you can't fail to lose LOL

Oh and there were the Roy Rogers Annuals.....
Tommy Kennedy
Sounds like I'm on a promise rolleyes.gif
Tommy Kennedy
Remember 'The Son's of the Pioneers' - choir- that used to sing a long wi' Roy Rogers'

When 'Trigger' died Rogers had it stuffed and put on display. Bit gruesome I thought.

There was a great scene in the Bob Hope/Jane Russel film 'The Paleface'

Hope is being attacked by Injuns.... you see all the 'Cowboys of the day' including Rogers rushing to his aid. Rogers says: 'This guy needs all the help he can get'
Tommy Kennedy
Yes, 'Sons of the Pioneers' were wonderful singers, Carmella. Of course they bored the kids when they came on the screen.
carmella
You know Tommy, we have all said on the boards at one time or another, but although there was a lot of poverty around in those days, parents tried awful hard to give their children as many nice times as they could.

I had a very happy and I suppose a fortunate upbringing, in that I didn't suffer from living in poverty, but we still didn't have an awful lot, but we were thankful for what we did have. I have some wonderful memories from when I was very young, and I know that times at least for us children, were a lot happier and simpler broadly speaking, but I sometimes think kids today miss out, as they expect and take too much for granted.

Christmas mornings in my house were a magical time, as they were in many houses all over the country. My father used to go to extreme lengths so that I would know Santa had been there - years later the same for my brother who is ten years younger than me.

We went to the pictures on a Saturday morning, and we had A and B movies, and Cowboys and Injuns LOL - I just love to think back sometimes. In Ayr we had the Odeon Club of which I was a member, so i got something for my Birthday, and we always got a little something for Christmas too.

Do you remember Crimpy Crisps, well I was a member of the Crimpy Club as well LOL
oh here jings stop me now, I'm getting too nostalgic - the wee bottom lip is starting to tremble.
Tommy Kennedy
I can remember in the 30s there was a cinema, top of Castle St. - we lived in the Garangard at the time, that had what they called 'The penny rush'
If you got to the cinema before 4.30pm you got in for jus one 'Penny' (So kids would rush home after school, ask Ma for a penny or a jam jar)
Or, believe it or not a jam jar or an H.P sauce bottle

You could get tuppence back on a 2lb jam jar or an H.P sauce bottle so you got a penny change if you took either.

Corny joke about it:

A toff comes a long to the pictures; puts a pound down.

'Do you mind large change?'

'Naw'

'Hope you've got a lorry, there's a load of jam jars round the back!'

Your references to what kids have to day, Carmella:

It's to be remembered that the masses of yesteryear never shared in the new technology of the day - that was for the upper classes.
The first major technology the masses shared in was the cinema and it was very cheap to get into; the poorest of families could at some time get to the cinema.

Now kids have their mobile phones/computers/playstations etc., so all taken for granted. To-day's Capatalism depends on the masses having money for consumer goods

Hey, only a million cars sold last year and the motor car industry is in trouble!!!
carmella
Of course what you say is right Tommy, we didn't have all the technology today's children have so I agree wholeheartedly with you, they all have TVs and Widescreens as well - we didn't have a TV till I was in my early teens, but we used to sit and listen to the Radio. I still think the best thing today about BBC is, although I'm against the licence fee - Radio 4 for me is worth every penny. I love it, and have it on a lot.

Pictures and even a bag of chips either before or after the pictures you're right it was cheap.

I wonder what equates to a 6d back of chips these days - wheeesht - don't even go there LOL
Tommy Kennedy
Carmella, I've just put an advert on E-Bay:

Wanted: 'One fireman's outfit and one ten gallon white hat. rolleyes.gif
I will pay any amount of money for these items laugh.gif

carmella
Heather
Ah Roy Rogers, my first love. Living in the street where the Endrick was, we went to the Saturday Matinee every week.

Wasn't it funny that after watching a Western Film the boys would run down the road riding an imaginary horse, slapping their backside and shooting each other with their pointed fingers. laugh.gif

We were so easily pleased in those days, and for all the modern technology, are the children of today any happier than we were???

From loving Roy I then moved on to Mario Lanza. Lovely man and lovely singer that he was.
I have a couple of his songs in my Favourite's.
possilboy
hi all roy rogers i remember my da taking me to see him i had all the gear on bring back a few memories here his him signing in glasgow
possilboy
and here is one of gene autry
carmella
Aye those were the days.

thanks for putting these on possilboy laugh.gif
Tommy Kennedy
Of course they were a pure Hollywood invention. Why were they called 'Cowboys'? You never saw them in any cattle drives. They dressed in 'Costume'
Still the kids loved it.

Autry & Rogers were astute business men and made millions in real estate in California

By the way; the reason I wrote that daft poem: I showed my G/kids a couple of their old movies - they found them boreing wanted to do something else.

Mind, they loved 'Laure & Hardy'
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 11th Oct 2009, 01:18am) *
Autry & Rogers : I showed my G/kids a couple of their old movies - they found them boreing wanted to do something else.

Yer G/kids found that boring? I'll send you a video of me and my big mate, daughter, her guy and my grand daughter and the twins playing ten pin bowling in the living room with [i] Wii. [/i]
Must be 20 to 30 minutes long.
" Come on dad, you're playing too."
Wii/10 pin ?
" You carry on, doll. I'll watch."
"Yeah! Come on grended." Choir.
It was great. What a laugh.
Get the Wii goin' wi' the kids. Keep them amused all night.
carmella
It was all pure Hollywood invention right enough - but at the ages we're talking about of course, we didn't know any better - so naive back then and we didn't have anything to compare and contrast.

I can understand kids these days not being into that stuff, because they are not surrounded by it - theirs is a different time.
Tommy Kennedy
Well of course it wasn't just the kids cowboys films that were a Hollywood invention so were the so called 'Serious' Westerns they produced.

The vast majority of 'cowboys' in the Old West were Hispanic. The wagon trains were pulled by 'Steers' not horses.

The cinema goer of yeseryear sought escapism from rather dreary lifes - what other form of entertaiment was available to them. Those that were fortunate enough to have a radio only got the BBC - Commercial radio/telly wasn't available 'till the late 50s,

Hollywood 'The Dream factory' provided that 'Escape'. Remember how people would queue for the cinema, even go in when 'Standing room' only was announced AND Half way thru a film!.

To-day the cinema goer goes to be 'Entertained' and Hollywood pruduces 'Block busters' for that.

Australia produced a couple of more realistic 'Westerns' in the late 50s - Remember Chips Raferty. Of course there were no 'Shoot outs' in their films.
Old Australia also had their 'Outllaws'
A great classic Holywood film made in Oz was: 'The Sundowners' (More sheepboys - than cowboys) with Robert Mitchum & Deberor Kerr (Both did the Oz accent well) He, Mitchum, was a sheep shearer; the family went from station(Ranch) to station in there covered wagon, pulled by one horse - to shear sheep. There were punch ups but no shoot outs.

I saw some real Oz cowboys in Oz - I was purser/cheif Stewrad on a cargo ship the 'Port Lyttelton' that traded bewteen Canada/U.S/Oz/NZ.
In and out of every port in OZ.

It went up to 'Port Wyndham' N.W. OZ. 93 miles up the Wyndham River, swamp land and THH, dozens of Crocs. All that was there was a 'Slaughter House' For 3 months of the year cattle was driven to port Wyndhan, slaughtered and straight on the ship.

It was a very small town - only occupied for 3 months. John Wayne would have been completley at home in it. It had the cowboy saloon, aye Carmella complete with 'Cowgirls' waiting for the Cowboys. Once the cattle were herded into the corals the cowboys got roaring drunk in the saloon.

( I was waiting for one of the cowboys to say: 'Gimme a bottle o' whisky, 'ave been spitting nutton but trail dust for 3 weeks' -Like wot John Wayne said - but none ever did) I never saw any of the cowboys pay for their big schooners of beer; was told what happend before the cowboys left the saloon owner gave the trail boss the bill and he paid up.

Seeing them leaving was a sight to see - all slumped over their horses with their hangovers.

None of them carried 'six guns' but they all carried a rifle, this I was told was mainly for shooting snakes...oh, they did have big floppy hats on

I was very impressed with these tough looking cowboys; asked one where he was from-
'Blackpool, mate' he anwsered!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 11th Oct 2009, 02:02pm) *
There were punch ups but no shoot outs ...

It went up to 'Port Wyndham' N.W. OZ. 93 miles up the Wyndham River, swamp land and THH,

She-it. I don't remember that contract rolleyes.gif
Rab-oldname
Pure Hollywood right enough Tommy - like the way their white hats were glued to their heads in the roughest fist fights - they never came off! The 'cowboys' never bled either!
auldbutcher
i that was ah funny thing thae hats no comin aff luved the cowboy pics. as ah boy the vogue in govan always showed ah western some times two on ah setterday matinee fer us kids . have a big collection o western films , an yep tommy the sundowners was an excellent movie. there was few westerns that ever were factual and near true tae life ,that great tv series lonesome dove was close tae real life , i liked the mountain man ah novel by vardis fisher that was made intae ah movie starring robert redford , soldier blue was another great pic . read ah lot aboot american history and the way the native american was exploited by the europeans from the time o columbas ,even tae this present day ,leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
carmella
Aye - ye canny beat cowboys and injuns.

Quck run n' hide, the Apache's are comin' fae doon the road.

Pure Hollywood, but great imagination for us kiddos.
possilboy
these where taken in glasgow in the 1930s when buffalo bill was touring
possilboy
some more
auldbutcher
brilliant photos possilboy
Tommy Kennedy
Click to view attachment

I coulda been a 'great western star' - can just imagine me saying
'Ya mess wi' me an' I'll send ya tae hell' an' I'm a lot better looking than John Wayne. rolleyes.gif
carmella
laugh.gif
Gallusbisom
Well Tommy, would that be as John looks the now? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.