Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pigs Trotters Tripe
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
stuarty
Remember pigs trotters tripe and onions ham ribs wae cabbage potted heid that was the scran that put hairs one yer chist if yae wur a man and meat on yer bones if yea wur a wummin! tongue.gif
Rabbie
Ah remember awe that Stuarty, an ah can tell ye, it did a lot mair than pit hairs oan ma chist!

Ah Jist loved pottiedheid peices and sugar pieces tae, its a wunner that I still goat ainy teeths left, Mind ye, ah goat a gubfo o pearlies thats like an auld NAAFI piano. Sum blick, sum white, sum missing.

biggrin.gif
sumac
I can just taste all those, except the pigs trotters. Yuck! I hated them - poor wee pigs running about with no feet. Shameful!

I still love to buy tripe and potted meat at the butchers and cook the tripe, just for me. Hubby complains bitterly about the smell of the combined tripe/onions/milk but too bad, I say. Just because he came from the posh side of the tracks in Riddrie Knowes. tongue.gif
stuarty
oh scottish pie oh yommy yum yum laugh.gif
weelew
Gosh pigs trotters great stuff .When i was a boy my mother used to take me down to the ham curers in the Ladywell and i would stand in a queue with a big bag and 2/6p .I would get the bag filled with pigs trotters ,ham bones ,ham ends, ribs and ham hocks. She would go for the rest of the shopping and then come back for me .We ate like royalty .The pots of soup she would make were gigantic and it was passed to all the houses in the tenement where we stayed .great .
wombat
rolleyes.gif had tripe cooked for me by a chef in oz,still couldny eat it tongue.gif
Rabbie
If ye want tripe, try Twitter! wink.gif
Dave Grieve
My son in-law owns a frozen meat wholesalers here in Joburg and must sell at least over twenty tons of tripe a week, personally after watching my step faither droolin ower his tripe and poached eggs all those years ago I cant stand the stuff.
zascot
Ah think thats a load of tripe Dave. biggrin.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (zascot @ 7th Feb 2012, 07:48am) *
Ah think thats a load of tripe Dave. biggrin.gif

I run his cold storage warehouse for him now Zascot and we cant get enough of the stuff especially sheep tripe.
We offloaded two truck loads of sheep heads and tripe from Namibia in this past week and it is almost finished already.
zascot
Having worked on the gold mines here it does`nt surprise me Dave. When you see someone ordering a "smiley" and they get a cooked sheeps head it`s no wonder there is such a demand. I could not see me eating it.
benny
Ah always loved the smell of tripe and onions cooking in milk, but ah couldnae eat it - ah always felt ah wis gonnae choke on it, it wis that slippery. Ah did use tae drink the brae though. Loved pigs feet (never heard them called trotters in Glesga) an ham ribs, an ah used tae go doon wi ma Ma tae the Meat Market fur them, years ago. Makin decent potted heid seems tae be a lost art nooadays. If ye can find it at aw. it's usually jist tasteless mush.
Tricia281
QUOTE (weelew @ 6th Feb 2012, 02:52pm) *
Gosh pigs trotters great stuff .When i was a boy my mother used to take me down to the ham curers in the Ladywell and i would stand in a queue with a big bag and 2/6p .I would get the bag filled with pigs trotters ,ham bones ,ham ends, ribs and ham hocks. She would go for the rest of the shopping and then come back for me .We ate like royalty .The pots of soup she would make were gigantic and it was passed to all the houses in the tenement where we stayed .great .

Weelew,

Was there a ham curers off Saltmarket somewhere? I remember going there for ham hoochs and ribs with my mum and even when I was first married, 25p so no increase in price! biggrin.gif

Tricia
andypisces
Worked for a while in aberdeen. Lived with a family n amed thomson. The father was a butcher and had his own shop on midstocket road. He made the best "potted heid" i ever tasted

Worked for a while in aberdeen. Lived with a family n amed thomson. The father was a butcher and had his own shop on midstocket road. He made the best "potted heid" i ever tasted
mlconnelly
I've never tried pigs feet or tripe. The few time I've ssen tripe in a shop it reminded me of polar bear fur.
I've just had a lovely plate of ham ribs and cabbage for my dinner. Yummy.
Mary
weelew
The wife and i go to Turkey at least twice a year sometimes three .On one occasion we took our two daughters ,their husbands and kids with us .It was their first time in turkey so as it was an all incvlusive hotel with buffet service they all got up to get their food starting with their soup which they all got stuck into and really enjoyed .My eldest daughter said to me Dad that white soup was brilliant i have never tasted anything like it ,what was it called ,tripe i replied ,tripe what is that when i told them everyone of them ran to the toilet and spewed it back up What made it worse for them was when they returned i was on my third plate . Lovely jubely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.