Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coronovirus?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
carmella
Perhaps my thoughts are a bit off the wall, but here goes.

This virus started life in China as we all know. However, here’s the thing. It has now spread far and wide we assume by human contact in the vicinity of it.

I wondered with China exporting world wide in massive quantities, how do we know this virus has not been transported to the rest of us, when being packed by people in China who may have had the virus before symptoms appeared or, through businesses large and small who sell on Ebay?

Just a thought, or do the rest of you think this unlikely?

Hmmmmmm!
zascot
Don`t pop the bubble wrap. The air inside comes from China. biggrin.gif
Dave Grieve
We have a friend of my daughter staying with us at the moment.
She works in China as an English teacher and was in SA when the latest virus broke out.
She has been stuck here ever since as the airline have cancelled all flights.
Yesterday she was told she can go back next week.
A 13 hour flight to Hong Kong a 5 hour layover at the airport a 3 hour flight to Shanghai and because she lives close to the province that is infected the flights into her province are also stopped so its a 5 train journey.
Dont know what she earns but it must be worth it.
carmella
Oh my Dave what a time of it. I actually think foreign workers in China are quite well paid, plus I don’t imagine the cost of living for westerners is high.

Regardless, that is not a journey I would want, with the train part being the exception laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
Apparently its a high speed bullet train on top of it. The part she's not looking forward to is the cross city trip from airport to train station with two suitcases.
carmella
Oh she must be fit, that would be too much for me these days!
DannyH
QUOTE (carmella @ 26th Feb 2020, 11:50am) *
Perhaps my thoughts are a bit off the wall, but here goes.

This virus started life in China as we all know. However, here’s the thing. It has now spread far and wide we assume by human contact in the vicinity of it.

I wondered with China exporting world wide in massive quantities, how do we know this virus has not been transported to the rest of us, when being packed by people in China who may have had the virus before symptoms appeared or, through businesses large and small who sell on Ebay?

Just a thought, or do the rest of you think this unlikely?

Hmmmmmm!

Carmella, your thoughts are not off the wall. The effect of the Coronavirus, is now being felt by the financial sectors across the world. Such is the world’s dependence on China for our non-food products, that the halt on Chinese exports worldwide has sent the stock markets plummeting.

It has also had an affect on the travel industry. Airlines must be very worried.

Could we be on the road to a return to 1928?

I wonder if this will result in return of manufacturing to the UK?

Danny
carmella
Only time will tell, Danny. You know when stocks and shares are involved, the Markets are really concerned. I think many businesses will be suffering.

As for your last point, wouldn’t it be wonderful if manufacturing did indeed return to these shores, giving the jobs to our people. Alas, I can’t see it though.
Dave Grieve
My daughter told me this morning if she could get a job in China at the same rate as her friend she would be off like a shot leaving me to look after her daughter.
lol
carmella
Oh now there’s an idea LoL. It might be cheaper for you, nah you would miss her too much.

Watching the news this morning, and despite all the countries affected now, we have been told not to change travel plans, and perhaps we have been scared with all we’ve heard.

I’m not easily scared, however, I am not a gambler so I don’t think I would take a chance.

This is rapidly becoming a pandemic, and each country will deal with it in a different way. Some better than others.

I certainly think public gatherings should be cancelled. They are saying too this could go on for yeas. Gosh, I hope not?
taurus
the big supermarkets here are limiting hand cleansers 2 per customer. Well that`s the Dettol variety, I couldn`t believe the shelf was bare yesterday,but I still bought the other handwipes,made in China !! I hope for the best.
carmella
No cases in Scotland yet, hope it stays that way.

I have a thing about germs so I’m constantly using hand gel, particularly when I’m out.
taurus
we are the same Carmella,escalators,public toilet doors,we`re a bit OCD regarding that. Our 2 big supermarkets have hand cleaner dispensers,which I use to clean the trolley handle every time. I have only ever seen one young woman do it in the 3 years we`ve lived in this suburb. I was so pleased to think that someone else would be thinking along the same lines as me I went over and spoke to her. According to the news this morning the experts are saying every one in the world can expect to get it. I hope that`s just media beat up.
we are soon going in to winter,flu season anyway,so I imagine the doctor`s will be packed out this year with everyone panicking even if it`s just a cold.They say it`s to do with the Chinese eating wild animals,we see them on Border Security getting the bags searched and bringing in some weird and horrible stuff in the name of medicine.
carmella
Well taurus there’s a thing I have never seen hand sanitiser at out sipermarkets. Just a detail that would help over here too.

Unless I have my gloves on, or it is summer time, I won’t touch anything without using the sanitiser!

Good point thumbup.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (carmella @ 28th Feb 2020, 10:13am) *
Well taurus there’s a thing I have never seen hand sanitiser at out sipermarkets. Just a detail that would help over here too.

Unless I have my gloves on, or it is summer time, I won’t touch anything without using the sanitiser!

Good point thumbup.gif

Have it here at all the bigger supermarkets. but then Taurus and I live on backward continents. unlike the ultra modern UK
tongue.gif
carmella
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 28th Feb 2020, 08:31am) *
Have it here at all the bigger supermarkets. but then Taurus and I live on backward continents. unlike the ultra modern UK

LoL too funny! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Aye that’s right you murny as sophisticated as whit weez ur ower here! That’s whit ye get fur leavin’

On a serious note, Britain thinks it is streets ahead in many diverse areas, but it’s not the case.

I think we are all doomed!
carmella
On the plus side we don’t have deadly insects and snakes
clown.gif
taurus
too right Carmella,the one thing I really enjoyed on my many trips to the UK was to sleep with the windows open,(except when my daughter had a plague of rats in her garden in Surrey ,too scared they could climb the wall),no mozzies,ants,spiders, cocroaches,hordes of flies,snakes,and whatever else. Summer here is a full time job with the insect spray,so tired of that.Laughing at you with your gloves,one plus in the winter i can hold on to the escalator.and the pole in the train carriage,because I have on my gloves. LOL. Just watching the news tonight and thinking the Pope might have the virus,he`s not well and been out mixing with the crowds.
Scots Kiwi Lass
It's just been announced that New Zealand has our first confirmed case, now in Auckland Hospital - the 48th country worldwide. The affected person had recently returned to NZ from Iran.

I don't believe I have ever had a virus or 'flu, so here's hoping, but I am a bit fearful of this situation.
zascot
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 28th Feb 2020, 08:31am) *
tongue.gif

I know you are in a backward part of the world Dave but you could always come back up here to Johannesburg. laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Dave Grieve
Not backward at all Queen Vic is still our monarch tongue.gif
taurus
not too far off the mark Dave,the present queen is resembling her more and more as she ages,especially when she puts on that sulky hate everything face.
carmella
QUOTE (taurus @ 28th Feb 2020, 07:11pm) *
not too far off the mark Dave,the present queen is resembling her more and more as she ages,especially when she puts on that sulky hate everything face.

laugh.gif thumbup.gif
taurus
you are so lucky Kiwilass never to have a flu or virus,NZ must be healthier than OZ. I must be honest when I lived and grew up in Glasgow I had an odd cold but never the flu ,ever. As soon as I arrived,within weeks, I got so ill,never experienced a throat infection like it in my life,and I had 2 little babies to worry about. Been like that too for 59 years,so this hot cimate is not a healthy one,and the coronavirus will love it I fear.
DannyH
I hate to say it folks, but the latest news about the affect Coronavirus is having on the world is not good. There are so many issues to be looked at. Individually they sometimes seem insignificant, but collectively they are a threat to us all.

Let’s take the Middle East for example. Millions of unfortunate people have been caught up in situations which have changed their lives forever. Up until recently, Italy, Turkey and Greece have been the three countries that have bore the brunt of this regional unrest. They have been deluged by innocent people seeking refuge. Up until now, there has been no International coordination to deal with these unfortunate refugees. It is all very well for every individual nation to have a coordinated plan to for its own citizens to deal with Coronavirus, but who is taking any action to deal with the potential danger that these unfortunate people may bring with them when they are smuggled into Europe? Italy is more or less in lockdown for its own citizens. Will they be given any assistance by the rest of Europe to deal with the never ending influx of refugees? Or will it be the usual, “Every man for himself”?

Danny
taurus
our government has banned entry to people from China,our economy was getting in to dire straits with the bushfires,now the influx of Chinese students due to start Uni in March will not happen and they bring millions in to the country for their educaton. I know it`s wrong to think about dollars when lives are at risk,but it`s just another side issue no one could have predicted 2 months ago.There will always be some plague or other to keep the population down,I have feeling I read that in the Scriptures at one time.Floods and famine or somesuch it said.
beth
ON the upside, the Chinese, reportedly, have banned the import of our wildlife,dead and alive, on the downside, the investments that provide our income have dropped drastically. Don't know how on earth our Health System (Joke), would deal with an outbreak here
wombat
QUOTE (beth @ 29th Feb 2020, 02:52pm) *
Don't know how on earth our Health System (Joke), would deal with an outbreak here

unsure.gif local witch doctor perhaps? unsure.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (wombat @ 1st Mar 2020, 08:24am) *
unsure.gif local witch doctor perhaps? unsure.gif

Not enough Whites in the country for that to work.
'Muti' Witch doctor medicine is strongest when the main ingredient, body parts from a human sacrifice is taken while the victim is alive.
Strongest 'Muti' of all is taken from a White victim.
Scots Kiwi Lass
QUOTE (taurus @ 28th Feb 2020, 11:35pm) *
you are so lucky Kiwilass never to have a flu or virus,NZ must be healthier than OZ. I must be honest when I lived and grew up in Glasgow I had an odd cold but never the flu ,ever. As soon as I arrived,within weeks, I got so ill,never experienced a throat infection like it in my life,and I had 2 little babies to worry about. Been like that too for 59 years,so this hot cimate is not a healthy one,and the coronavirus will love it I fear.

I've had colds of course but never diagnosed with 'flu. Too many people get a cold and call it 'flu, I suppose it sounds better. I've been getting 'flu injections for 20+ years now and this year's shots will be available I think in April. Whether there will be a vaccine for this latest virus, who knows?

My husband and I, with two young kids, moved to Sydney in 1977. It was originally going to be for one year but ended up another 2 years. Hubby was a truck driver so was out of Sydney most of the time. He was well paid and I had a full time job too. I couldn't tolerate the heat in Australia so we saw as much of the country as possible and moved back to Christchurch. The climate here suits me better, though it's been very hard with all the major earthquakes we have had.

Kia Ora,
Betty
wombat
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 1st Mar 2020, 07:24am) *
Not enough Whites in the country for that to work.
'Muti' Witch doctor medicine is strongest when the main ingredient, body parts from a human sacrifice is taken while the victim is alive.
Strongest 'Muti' of all is taken from a White victim.

laugh.gif so thats how yie got that neck scar tongue.gif
bilbo.s
Completely agree with you re. cold vs flu. I have not had flu for the past 40 years, but loads of colds, but a lot fewer since we moved to Spain and they only last 2 or 3 days. When I last had flu, I had no respiratory symptoms, only felt it an effort to do anything like lifting an arm.
wombat
rolleyes.gif since i quit boozin i sail thru that flu crap, usually only get a snotty nose for a few days .

I exercise daily .
Dave Grieve
Flu and myself are strangers as is the cold. Cant remember the last time something like that affected me.
Malaria thats something else lost 16 kilos the last time and had comebacks for the next three years I think it was.
taurus
kiwilass,I think I personally will stick with the unhealthy hot climate in lieu of the chance of an earthquake. The very thought of a building falling down on me gives me the horrors,I don`t go in lifts or shut the toilet door,imagine me in an earthquake.
Scots Kiwi Lass
For the first 15 years here in Christchurch, I never gave earthquakes a second thought. Roll on 2009 and our lives changed forever. I agree, it is very hard to live with the big ones, then putting up with 12,000 or so after-shocks. It is taking time to rebuild the city and some buildings, including the Cathedral, won't be repaired in my lifetime. Still, the city is looking great and there are some fabulous new buildings.

Unbelievably, there are still many people who have chosen to settled here, one friend moved from Hamilton to Christchurch just after the February 2010 big one that did the most damage.

Dave Grieve
Never experienced a full blown earthquake as such but many years ago I was woken by what I can only describe as a steam locomotive thundering towards me as I lay in bed.
I could hear it and feel it as it came from a great distance until it eventually passed under th flat I was in and carried on northwards.
My bedroom window covered the entire wall and I watched as the very fast vibration slowly died down.
My wife slept right through.
carmella
I remember my bed moved for about 3 minutes or less. I had gone to bed after a night duty, dog tired, just about ready to fall over when it happened. Got the fright of my life. Found out later there was a tremor somewhere near Dumfries.

I recall thinking that was just a tremor, wonder what an earthquake would feel like
ashfield
I've never experienced an earthquake either and would happy pass on the experience. We were on a camping holiday in Wales, back in the 80s, and planned an early rise. This was to take photographs and drive over to Snowdon to catch the first train of the day to the summit. As we drove over, we were a bit bemused to see folk wandering around outside their houses in their night attire. Takes all sorts we thought cool.gif . It was only when we got to the top of Snowdon, we overheard a guy broadcasting on a CB radio saying there had been an earthquake. We missed it all, presumably because we were in the car in transit, never felt a thing.

There had been some structural damage to property but, thankfully, no one was hurt.
taurus
in 1989 the days before Email,I lways eagerly looked forward to my snail mail ,especially from my brother in Glasgow,and this day I just got in from the mail box,sat on the chair to open it,when the whole floor rumbled in a terryfying way. I laughed for a minute thinking his letters are always good but not that good. ha ha. Sadly it was a real earhquake in Newcastle,a couple of hundred miles away. Their local club bore the brunt of it,when it was pensioners day,a lot of couples returning to their cars in the underground carpark,and killed. That`s the only earthquake I am familiar with,we don`t get them like NZ
Scots Kiwi Lass
I often wonder if I had known about the earthquakes in NZ, I might have thought twice about emigrating here. The damaging shakes of 2010 and 2011 were the biggest since the shakes in Napier in the 1920s, I think. Wellington will be hit hard in a strong earthquake, and there is only one major road out of the city, so God help them in a tsunami.

Now, after the volcanic eruption on White Island, that is one more thing to worry about, if you are a worrier! Thankfully, we don't have that threat, only extinct volcanoes. We are mostly now very well informed about what to do in an earthquake or a tsunami. Fortunately I live far enough away from the seaside communities so feel safe enough.

The last big quake here was over a year ago and it was a biggie, 7.8 magnitude I think. It was centered on the Kaikoura coast and did massive damage to roads and railways but no loss of life. I did feel it here in Christchurch and initially thought it must have been the Alpine fault that could rupture at any time.

It is still a beautiful country, so any prospective visitors shouldn't be put off.
beth
Allan visited Christchurch on business, just before the big one and was well impressed. He felt so sad seeing the devastation after the quake. He would love to go back on holiday,but it is just a flight too far for us. Friends have also visited and love it, but their children live in Tasmania so it is not so far for them when visiting their children
taurus
It`s the same thing in California,they have this fault line hanging over their lives always,but they just go on living normal lives and hope for the best. Life is not perfect anywhere,so it`s just make the best of it.
beth
Well it has finally reached SA and right here in our own province KZN 38 year old man just back from Italy
carmella
This past two days one victim in my county, but no idea where due to patient confidentiality, they won’t divulge!

Iam in South Ayrshire, and have heard it may be someone in East Ayrshire.
Dave Grieve
10 or 12 years ago I had a hip replacement. It was only much later I found out that in the same hospital there was an Ebola Virus patient from Zambia.
beth
Dave as long as there are no panic situations, and we take the necessary precautions, all will be well. Folk just need to stop kissing, cuddling and shaking hands every two minutes
taurus
going shopping this morning,the check out chick in Woolies wont be getting her usual kiss and cuddle ,...as if.. sometimes it`s hard to get a smile out of them. !
DannyH
So Coronavirus has come to Scotland. Yesterday Nicola Sturgeon said Scotland is well prepared to deal with this. Really? What does that mean?

On a UK level, advice is being given to people on their financial position if they self impose staying off work because they think they are showing symptoms of Coronavirus.

The one thing missing from my above two paragraphs is that there has been no input from the UK medical profession. The medical professionals and their support staff are finding it impossible to keep up with the demands put on them by the people of the UK, without Coronavirus. They are already well past being stretched to the limit by the sheer volume of work being placed upon them 24 hours a day.

Last year there were about 1100 drug related deaths in Scotland, The greatest proportion of them being in the West of Scotland. We also have an obesities crisis on our hands. I suppose this is what Nicola Sturgeon means when she says we are well prepared.

It is also worth mentioning to our overseas readers that part of Nicola Sturgeon’s constituency is Govanhill. It is infested with rats and various other vermin. The garbage bins left in the streets are overflowing. In some other areas of Glasgow, the refuse collection service is abysmal

The advice we have received from the politicians is to wash our hands!

I am certain that many workers in the NHS, must be shaking their heads at the politicians of this country.

Danny
taurus
same with this country,the PM tells us go about your business,go on holiday and spend money in the places that are suffering hardship,"we are well prepared for a pandemic ". Really ?? today, health care workers ,doctors, a schoolboy which shut down a whole school and an 8 mnth old baby,our PM is just trying to boost morale.I washed the handle of the trolley in Woolies today with the wet wipes they provide. For 3 years I see myself being the only one to do this,but today was surprised to see every other person who walked in went and used a wipe. Sad that it takes a world crisis,but at least it`s happening. Just living in hope as we all are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.