Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Global Warming
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
DannyH
I was watching the BBC news channel a few minutes ago. There was a stark warning from Nature that mankind is going to destroy the world, as we know it, because of what we are doing to the planet.

The ice in the Northern hemisphere is melting 9 times faster than it was a relatively few years ago.

Obviously if this goes on happening, low lying towns like Ayr and Troon will be underwater.

We in the Western world have become Americanised. We have become a ‘must have’ society, but we have ignored the Far East and what we have done to it. The skies in the industrial towns China and India are polluted, just like our skies were when I was younger.

Lately when I have been in department stores I have lost count of the number of products on display that were made in the Far East. I couldn’t figure out how it can be cheaper to manufacture a product in China, package it, send it across the world by ship, then onto motorised delivery vehicles and still make a profit. Then it dawned on me. The answer is POLLUTION!

Manufacturers in the West wouldn’t be allowed to have the volume of factories there are in the Far East. So we kid ourselves on that we have rules which will give us pollution free skies, but we condemn China for the pollution it creates making products which we want!

So what have we got, Wind Turbines. Pollution free. Well actually not all Wind Turbines are pollution free. According to the BBC News website, many of these installations use a gas which is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

The gas is 23,500 times more warming than carbon monoxide (CO2). It is known as SF6. It persists in the atmosphere, warming the Earth for at least 1000 years.

The BBC were quoting an article written by Matt McGrath, Environmental Correspondent.

The leaks of the little known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were equivalent to putting an EXTRA 1.3 million cars on the road.

I sincerely hope this a a hoax. If not, who can we trust.

Danny
Dykejumper
Danny, I feel sure one of the gnats will be along to reassure you that our wind turbines are pollution free.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 11th Dec 2019, 10:16am) *
Danny, I feel sure one of the gnats will be along to reassure you that our wind turbines are pollution free.

I don't know anything about wind turbines or if they create pollution or not DJ, but what i do know is the planet is probably more at risk of global warming with all the hot air you Britgnats produce every time you open your mouths. laugh.gif
taurus
Going back to Glasgow a lot in the 58 years we have been away,,i have only copped a handful of days where I can say I am REALLY hot or even warm. My nephew who lives there,wryly said,all this talk of global warming,we don`t get any of it in Glasgow.
DannyH
QUOTE (taurus @ 11th Dec 2019, 07:37pm) *
Going back to Glasgow a lot in the 58 years we have been away,,i have only copped a handful of days where I can say I am REALLY hot or even warm. My nephew who lives there,wryly said,all this talk of global warming,we don`t get any of it in Glasgow.

Hello Taurus

In days gone by we could probably all have found his opinion to be funny. Unfortunately it is a serious matter. I didn’t find it to be funny.

Danny
wombat
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Dec 2019, 07:04pm) *
I don't know anything about wind turbines or if they create pollution or not DJ, but what i do know is the planet is probably more at risk of global warming with all the hot air you Britgnats produce every time you open your mouths. laugh.gif

rolleyes.gif yep that baked bean gas is a problem sad.gif
DannyH
QUOTE (wombat @ 11th Dec 2019, 10:03pm) *
:rolleyes: yep that baked bean gas is a problem :(

Hello Wombat

I expected you to treat Global Warming as a serious matter, given all the problems fighting fires, Australia has to deal with right now.

Danny
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (taurus @ 11th Dec 2019, 07:37pm) *

"ba-dum-Tshhh" Come on now Glasgow, put your hands together for Taurus, he's here till Sunday. laugh.gif
taurus
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Dec 2019, 11:10am) *
"ba-dum-Tshhh" Come on now Glasgow, put your hands together for Taurus, he's here till Sunday. laugh.gif

????
taurus
lighten up Danny for God`s sake,your posts are depressing.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Dec 2019, 10:30am) *
????

Did it go over your head Taurus? laugh.gif
DannyH
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Dec 2019, 10:32am) *
lighten up Danny for God`s sake,your posts are depressing.

Hello Taurus

You will have no argument from me regarding your request for me to lighten up. If that is how you see me, so be it.

Regarding my posts being depressing, that is a different matter. My posts, in general, on this topic have been to write what has been reported regarding global warming. It is not me that is depressing, it is the facts about what is happening throughout the world because of global warming.

I will now give you a wee ‘parable’ illustrating human behaviour.

Yesterday afternoon I was at a small Glasgow theatre for it’s annual pantomime. The deal is you get a pie and a pint before the show starts. Actually you get a choice of what to eat and drink. You form a queue and take your snack to your seat.

So there is a large queue forming, when suddenly something unexpected happened. A gentleman near the front of the queue suddenly collapses to the floor. Paramedics arrive on the scene. Everything stops.
Glasgow banter comes to the fore. “The pie must have choked him”, “Naw, he had too much bloody beer”, etc, etc.

After about half an hour the medics give up. The man is dead. He was with the small party I was with.

So, just like at that incident, some of us can laugh while the world is dying. If Wombat and Jagz sense of humour is what you prefer rather than a serious discussion, so be it.

Danny
taurus
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Dec 2019, 11:22pm) *
Did it go over your head Taurus? laugh.gif

afraid it did .I hang my head in shame if I dared to bring some levity .seems like its not allowed tongue.gif.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Dec 2019, 06:40pm) *
afraid it did .I hang my head in shame if I dared to bring some levity .seems like its not allowed tongue.gif.

No it's allowed, clearly my humour doesn't travel very far. laugh.gif
taurus
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 13th Dec 2019, 06:04am) *
No it's allowed, clearly my humour doesn't travel very far. laugh.gif

oh c`mon Jagz say it again,so I can get the joke,I`m dying for a laff. I`m not usually so dim,but "he`s here til Sunday" still not with it.
Anyway my contention is ,try to smile,even although things are looking grim and getting grimmer. None of us living on cloud 9,just getting on the best way possible.
carmella
I remember really icy cold winters, often starting in November and getting worse in stages right up until March. I did once get caught in a snow drift at 7am or thereabouts on the back road from Kilmarnock going through a back road in Symington on way to my early shift. This was in the middle of April in the early 80s.

Now, for the past few years the weather during these months is warmer than ever. Not hot by any means but certainly not freezing cold.

I can only put this down to global warming!
ashfield
QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Jan 2020, 08:03am) *
I remember really icy cold winters, often starting in November and getting worse in stages right up until March. I did once get caught in a snow drift at 7am or thereabouts on the back road from Kilmarnock going through a back road in Symington on way to my early shift. This was in the middle of April in the early 80s.

Now, for the past few years the weather during these months is warmer than ever. Not hot by any means but certainly not freezing cold.

I can only put this down to global warming!

But....Mr Trump says it's all lies about Global Warning and we all know he's never wrong unsure.gif
JAGZ1876
I remember those winters too that Carmella mentioned, but we also had mild wet winters too, we may see the temperatures plummet before the end of the winter.
Dykejumper
Presumably Carmella was out of the country winter 2018 ....the Beast from the East and then the mini beast from the east.
carmella
No I was right here in Ayrshire, and I do remember it, perhaps it was milder where I am👍
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 22nd Jan 2020, 03:44pm) *
Presumably Carmella was out of the country winter 2018 ....the Beast from the East and then the mini beast from the east.

One of the few times i'm with you DJ. wink.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Jan 2020, 04:39pm) *
No I was right here in Ayrshire, and I do remember it, perhaps it was milder where I am👍

Well seeing that you stay in South Ayrshire, we were frozen here in the North. laugh.gif
carmella
Well being rural it’s often colder, just as in summer it is often warmer, personally I much prefer colder weather, so this is a good time of year for me!
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Jan 2020, 10:35pm) *
Well being rural it’s often colder, just as in summer it is often warmer, personally I much prefer colder weather, so this is a good time of year for me!

I like my seasons to be seasons too, i like my summers to be warm and sunny and winters to be cold and frosty, i hate mild wet and windy weather.
carmella
If our summers get warmer I will want to get air conditioners in my house, 20c is as high as I can tolerate!
wombat
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Jan 2020, 06:23am) *
If our summers get warmer I will want to get air conditioners in my house, 20c is as high as I can tolerate!

rolleyes.gif thats cold here carmella cool3.gif
Dave Grieve
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Last week I fell asleep in the afternoon with all the windows open. Woke up drenched in sweat.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Jan 2020, 06:39pm) *

Where it was in Glasgow was just as mild. I stayed with my brother right through winter and never had the heater on once. Only time I felt the cold was when having a shower.
carmella
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 23rd Jan 2020, 08:32am) *
Where it was in Glasgow was just as mild. I stayed with my brother right through winter and never had the heater on once. Only time I felt the cold was when having a shower.

My goodness you must have been way too hot. I could take the heat when I was younger but not now.
carmella
QUOTE (wombat @ 23rd Jan 2020, 07:21am) *
rolleyes.gif thats cold here carmella cool3.gif

I know wombat, especially right now. My friend’s son lives in OZ and today he said where he was it was 43c wow horrendous!
Dykejumper
A couple of pics of glasgw during the beast from the east attack, the second one is west george st.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/...t-east-15885504
carmella
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 24th Jan 2020, 01:01am) *
A couple of pics of glasgw during the beast from the east attack, the second one is west george st.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/...t-east-15885504

I didn’t see anything like this where I live. But, these are gorgeous pictures. 👍👍👍👍☃⛄🌫🌫❄❄
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 24th Jan 2020, 03:49pm) *
I didn’t see anything like this where I live. But, these are gorgeous pictures. 👍👍👍👍☃⛄🌫🌫❄❄

I remember schools in North Ayrshire being closed, were the South Ayrshire schools not closed at that time too Carmella?
carmella
You know jagz, I think some were. I can honestly say again. In recent years I think it has been mild. I remember a lot of cold weather in 2010 and snow.

I do remember terrible short spell of weather in 2018. Again I have to say, although I remember seeing the inages on the news. It wasn’t where I am.

DJ, I wish I could have been out of the country, however, no chance because of my husband’s severe disabilities, last time I was out of the country was in 2004, April. I have not had so much as a weekend since!
Dave Grieve
I tried uploading a photo I took of my cars dasboard last night but no joy. it decided not to play with me.
Anyway taken last night at just over nine at night it showed a temperature of 27c.
Don't think I will ever buy a car without air-conditioning again.
wombat
rolleyes.gif theyre called windows dave tongue.gif
carmella
I couldn’t have a car without AirCon, even over here.

Wombat, that is because AirCon without opening windays husny reached Aus yit LoL.... thumbup.gif

Gawn yursel wee man😂😂😂😂
zascot
No Aircon, No Windows, No ProblemClick to view attachment
wombat
QUOTE (zascot @ 25th Jan 2020, 02:05pm) *
No Aircon, No Windows, No ProblemClick to view attachment

rolleyes.gif meals on wheels? yes.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (wombat @ 25th Jan 2020, 05:58pm) *
rolleyes.gif meals on wheels? yes.gif

I thought it was an Asston Martin unsure.gif
wombat
sleep.gif the irish model? rolleyes.gif
Dave Grieve
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Some photos from the Beast of the East winter. Not as bad as the newspapers made out.
Coming out of the bath it was to hot and as I said earlier my brother never had a heater on all winter.
wombat
inside the neighbours "shack"was 53 deg last year yes.gif
wombat
rolleyes.gif CELCIUS sleep.gif
wombat
mellow.gif celsius sleep.gif
taurus
i have 3 winter coats and the winter just gone I never even opened the wardrobe they were in.
carmella
laugh.gif 👍
carmella
I hear we will have snow very soon😀👍bring it on, I say!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.