Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Make Mince And Potatoes-- Glasgow Way.
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Dugald
I'd be obliged to anyone who can enlighten me to this... my favourite dinner, mince 'n totties.

Thank you.
ashfield
Nice to see your post Dugald. How I would cook this now bears no resemblence to how my mother or grandparents cooked it when I was little. My mother was not the most astute in the culinary arts so she would make the grey version, beef mince, chopped onion and an oxo cube for stock, all simmered for at least an hour. My grandparents were a little more exotic with the ingredients, the mince was browned first before the chopped onion, finely diced carrot, oxo cube and (wait for it) a dash of Worcestershire sauce were added. It was also simmered for about an hour.

Our potatoes were always mashed so it was a floury variety, boiled (probably too long), drained and knocked senseless with a fork a after a liberal application of margarine (which was likely Stork). Butter was too precious to waste on mashed totties rolleyes.gif

Both were fine as long as there was plenty of either Heinz tomato or HP sauce available tongue.gif
Dugald
Thank you very much Ashfield. It was decent of you to send me the recipe. It seems a bit complicated for me, but I'm sure my friend will be able to handle it. It is good to hear from you again Ashfield.
Cheers, Dugald.
bigdrew
Mince n' tots

buy beef mince with a 15% fat content
brown mince in a pot (careful not to burn)
when browned......
chop a large onion or 2 small onions.
make sure the onion is chopped fine,
add to mince with a cup of water Boiled...
stir really well
prepare 3 oxos, and add to mixture,
a small amount for brown sauce (if to taste)
pot is boiling, stir to avoid sticking, lower to simmer,
stirring every 2/3 minutes, simmer for about 45 minutes,
tinned baby carrots could be added at this time,
simmer for 15 minutes
oxo gravy granules to taste can be added,
simmer for another 15/20 minutes.
switch off cooker leaving lid on pot....
prepare potatoes, skinned and chopped fine
boil potatoes.....
test potatoes, putting on mince for another 10 minutes,
to be ready at the same time as the potatoes
mash potatoes or whatever
serve and on you go
Dugald
Thank you Bigdrew for your recipe, I’ll pass it on to my better half with the hope that she’ll be able to understand all this cooking jargon a lot better than I can. Cheers, Dugald
Dykejumper
Cant see too many modern mums doing all that lol more likely to buy one of those ready made meals.
Drew
I love mince and potatoes and my mother and grannies were ace at making this delicious family meal. I find supermarket mince has a lot of water in it, making it difficult, if not impossible, to brown. Better getting your mince made by a butcher. I add a little flour to the mince to help thicken the gravy and always make suet dumplings which I put on top of the mince. Lid on and a half hour or so in the oven and it is pure heaven.
ExPOW
Had my version of what we call "School Dinner" only last night.

I use an Ikea GRADSASS Sauce as it is tasty, thick and creamy unlike the watery or oily drippy stuff that
brown unthickened gravy can be.
That's usually way too salty anyway.

Using only the leanest half pound of ground beef, chopped finely and fried up in an iron skillet using Olive Oil. Add garlic and pepper and a dash of salt to taste.
Prepare the saucemix per instructions.
Add the cooked ground beef to the sauce and keep warm.
An occasional stir won't go amiss while you prepare your own version of mashed/creamed potatoes.
Add a spoonful or two of buttered small garden peas and dish it up.

Using Ikea sauce is a quick and dirty alternative.
bilbo.s
Colonial rubbish! A Scot would never use garlic in their mince'n'totties. Apart from that, it looks revolting in your foti! Sorry, FAIL! And to add insult to injury, IKEA! WTF!
ExPOW
Quick on the draw with criticism aren't you?

If adding enhancements like garlic, salt to the beef and butter and milk to the mash is such
"Colonial rubbish", prompting the outburst and personal attack then I think you need to return
to your beloved homeland asap and check yourself into Gartnavel Royal Hospital and undergo the
lobotomy you oh so desperately deserve.
Click here if you dare: I dare you

I did not call the dish "mince and totties" but my version of "school dinner".
Other more open-minded than you may be willing to try it.

To quote a line from "Scent of a Woman".....to express an opinion of the quality of your response....
Al Pacino's character was heard to say;

"Hooo-ahh, we got us a moron!"

Take a pill pal and wash it down with a couple of hundred gallons of untreated Spanish sewage.
You may add salt and garlic to taste.
taurus
"school dinner" so right Ex POW. Nothing I can do with my mince can ever compare to the smell and taste of their mince. 60 years married and still trying !
I could smell it all the way up London Road on the way to the dinner school in a church hall at Brook St. My Australian son added garlic and anything else he could think of to make my Scottish mince suit his taste.
bilbo.s
Dearie me! You don't like criticism, do you. I stand by what I wrote about your abortion of a dish. I have never seen such an unattractive presentation of mince in all my life. Whoever cooked that unsightly, lumpy mess should be banned sin die from the kitchen.

I assume that the crap firm of IKEA, in your neck of the woods, inflicts on the populace "foodstuffs" as well as their rubbish furnishings. We in Europe are spared that and have much to be thankful for.

I cannot share your apparent nostalgia for school dinners, as I never partook of them. AS a kid in Shettleston I used to see, and smell, the van going down to the school with its load of galvy containers of swill. It gave me the boak, not always of the dry variety.
bilbo.s
tongue.gif
taurus
Bilbo ,regarding school dinners,living through rationing I was always hungry,and the smell and thought of a good meal after a morning at school,was very welcome to me. Not all the food was appetising,mince and soup were the only 2 I could warm to. My Glasgow friends here still talk of "dinner school mince",with nostalgia. Then,the big excitement of the day was ,when leaving the room,a lady was standing at the door handing out an APPLE to each child. In days when that was non existant in the shops,what a delight.
I heard a story (maybe a myth not sure ) about a woman who did very well in Canada and sent home boxes of Mackintosh Reds for the children of Glasgow who were deprived of such luxuries during rationing. I didnt go very often to the dinner school,my mum couldn`t afford the cost,and when she did buy me a weekly ticket ,it was spoiled by the nasty boys at the end of the table,spitting in the food as they passed it up the table. I never went back,such a waste of my mother`s hard earned money.
bilbo.s
Taurus, I share most of your memories, a I was born in 1942 and spent my "formative years" in Shettleston. I fondly remember the Mackintosh Reds from Canada ( they were no myth, although I cannot verify the source), and various other free goodies from Australia and the States.

Until the age of 9, my school was only a hundred yards or so from the house and so I came home for dinner. I have few memories of what that meal consisted, but we were not rich by any standards and mince was the only butcher meat affordable. Chicken was a luxury for Christmas only and I was well into my late teens before I ever had a steak, although I was fortunate enough to be taken to Belgium on holiday in 1953, and I was amazed to see what looked like a week's ration of beef being served at dinner.

I still maintain that POW's version of mince'n'totties looks like an abomination compared to what my mammy and her mammy before her used to serve me. Typically, that member has chosen to personally attack me, not to mention a slur on my adopted country. He would be better employed improving his culinary skills.

Regards.

DannyH
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 24th Apr 2018, 10:41pm) *
Dearie me! You don't like criticism, do you. I stand by what I wrote about your abortion of a dish. I have never seen such an unattractive presentation of mince in all my life. Whoever cooked that unsightly, lumpy mess should be banned sin die from the kitchen.

I assume that the crap firm of IKEA, in your neck of the woods, inflicts on the populace "foodstuffs" as well as their rubbish furnishings. We in Europe are spared that and have much to be thankful for.

I cannot share your apparent nostalgia for school dinners, as I never partook of them. AS a kid in Shettleston I used to see, and smell, the van going down to the school with its load of galvy containers of swill. It gave me the boak, not always of the dry variety.

Bilbo, I ,don’t want to get involved with your ongoing dispute, but I have to ask you, when did Scotland move out of Europe?

IKEA has a very well supported store at Braehead near Glasgow airport. It has been there for years.
Maybe. I have misread your post.

I think IKEA is a European company, I could be wrong about that too.

Danny Harris
taurus
right off the subject here Bilbo,but it`s good to share old time memories. My mother`s mince was 'pathetic' or in today`s young folks lingo "gross". She just chuckedin the mince watr and Bisto,voila,a watery mess,same with stew. We lived above a wee resataurant,and their mince was to die for,queues out in the street every lunchtime with working men. My mum did the dishes in there,so she saw how it was cooked. I told her how much I loved it,she said och they add flour and maybe porridge oats,no matter,if my mother had followed that example,but no,too much Glasgow housewife pride,her way was fine,by her standards. Chicken ??? I got sent to the local fishmonger for a wee bit,it was cut up in legs and breasts etc all on the slab,so I never saw a WHOLE chicken until I was married. This is the God`s truth. I was walking down the stairs the day after Christmas and saw a whole carcass on the stair,flung out for one of the many cats,and I wondered,how anyone would know how to cook a whole chicken. As the years went on I learned,had to.
Dugald
Thank you very much folks, for the various ways of making mince 'n totties. Your replies were both useful and entertaining. I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the "Ah...Bisto!" addition. Cheers, Dugald.
wombat
[quote name='bilbo.s' date='23rd Apr 2018, 11:01pm' post='3738124']
Colonial rubbish! And to add insult to injury, IKEA! WTF!
[/quote
rolleyes.gif mince n totties in a flat pack ? wacko.gif
taurus
QUOTE (Dugald @ 27th Apr 2018, 05:47am) *
Thank you very much folks, for the various ways of making mince 'n totties. Your replies were both useful and entertaining. I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the "Ah...Bisto!" addition. Cheers, Dugald.

entertaining is the keyword on these kind of boards. One person starts a subject and others follow with their tuppence worth. Unfortunately,,it invariably descends in to vitriol,and the entertainment is kaput ! I`ve seen so many Scottish boards shut down when the light hearted banter turns nasty.
ashfield
QUOTE (taurus @ 26th Apr 2018, 10:33pm) *
entertaining is the keyword on these kind of boards. One person starts a subject and others follow with their tuppence worth. Unfortunately,,it invariably descends in to vitriol,and the entertainment is kaput ! I`ve seen so many Scottish boards shut down when the light hearted banter turns nasty.

Funny that, especially when we're famed the World over for our ability to talk mince tongue.gif

You will see from my original reply to Dugald that my mother had the same talent as yours when it came to mince (stew etc). It probably was the main reason I wouldn't eat meat, fish, poultry or many vegetables until I got into my late teens. I tried school dinners but only lasted a few days as the only thing I ate was the boiled cabbage, which had the distinctive aroma of stewed socks ohmy.gif

I still cook mince occasionally but the recipe will remain a secret in case it offends anyone, and a photo is definitely out of the question laugh.gif
wombat
[quote name='ashfield' date='27th Apr 2018, 02:46pm' post='3738141']
Funny that, especially when we're famed the World over for our ability to talk mince :

rolleyes.gif what a loada mince, aussies hold that spot M8 yes.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
Sorry to say, I couldn't eat mince the way we ate it when I was young in Glasgow. My young sister and I hated it, especially the thick, lumpy bits of Bisto!

These days, I buy 300 gms of good quality mince, mix it with a can of garlic pasta sauce and serve with wholemeal spaghetti - economical, delicious and I love it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.