Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martyr Street 1930
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Questions about Glasgow
jacqui63m
My great grandfather John Weir died 16 May 1930. His death record gives an address of 23 Martyr St Glasgow.

Can anyone tell me (or show with pictures) what Martyr St was like at the time? Residential, industrial etc. John was a 'wanna be' dentist. Would he have worked from Martyr St or elsewhere?

I've been told that there is a John Weir 'dentist' in the 1930/31 Valuation Rolls, at 122 Ark Lane. I'm not at all sure if this is my John (he died May 1930)

Jacqui
Martyr Street is where you register births marriages and deaths.
aaron king
Martha st was birth ,deaths,marriage ,office,not martyr st .that street was possibly in townhead area.
jacqui63m
Hi all,

From "Extract of an entry in a REGISTER of DEATHS" that I obtained through Scotland's people, and under the heading of "When and where died" it is written: 1930 May Sixteenth 3h 48m PM 23 Martyr Street Glasgow

So, I assumed Martyr St was, at the very least, his address when he died if he had not in fact died in this place.
Jacqui
QUOTE (aaron king @ 21st Nov 2017, 11:38am) *
Martha st was birth ,deaths,marriage ,office,not martyr st .that street was possibly in townhead area.

You are right I realized that after I had sent the reply. I looked up Martyr Street on Google and yes it was in (is) in Townhead (Toonheid) I was in Glasgow in May and that area up into Springburn is no longer the way I
remember it, it is nearly all motorway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.