Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 Rio Olympics
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
ashfield
I know lots of people have been eagerly awaiting the Olympics, good luck to all our home nation competitors (see what I did there tongue.gif ). As usual our TV coverage is geared up to bore the living day lights out of us with wall to wall "experts" telling us who to watch or who will win all the medals. I'll watch some of it of course, but just bits here and there. My first foray into it was watching an "exciting" football match between Nigeria and Japan which ended 5-4. Exciting, it was more like watching a primary 6 game rolleyes.gif

Sure it wil get better as it goes on unsure.gif
angel
Today I heard for the first time , a business that is called , " Slum Tours " and doing very well in Rio driving tourist around the area's where the financially unfortunate and probably destitute peoples live . and those business 's making a good buck and the tourist's thanking God it isn't them .

It made me think when I was a young girl in primary and High school , that if tourist were doing the same thing then , I would have died of humiliation , no matter how many times the Green Lady said that my mother kept a little palace . Once again just my thoughts and if the comma's are in the wrong place , just take a breath .

http://time.com/4143887/rio-de-janeiro-oly...velas-eviction/
angel
Four American Olympians robbed in Rio at gun point plus umpteen other incidents , in the past days .
Heather
Angel, it's terrible a Company taking Tourist's round the poorest part's of Rio. How low can some people get to make some money.
I certainly would not go on a Tour like that.

Ah well cheer up, Andy Murray won the Tennis Gold. Well done Andy. thumbup.gif
Dykejumper
The Olympics highlight the massive difference between the affluent countries and the poor ones, the
UK cycling team will probably win as many medals as the entire Continent of Africa.
Dykejumper
Radio 2 had a phone in to day on how much we spend, apparently every gold medal costs
around 10 million !! The tag line was...Is the UK the new East Germany using money rather
than drugs.
wombat
rolleyes.gif canny wait furr the next Olympics.SKATE BOARDINGS gonny be introduced as an Olympic sport rolleyes.gif ffs
ashfield
QUOTE (wombat @ 17th Aug 2016, 12:49am) *
rolleyes.gif canny wait furr the next Olympics.SKATE BOARDINGS gonny be introduced as an Olympic sport rolleyes.gif ffs

So what, I've got into training for the Glesga triathlon, Kick the can, High tig and Peever laugh.gif
angel
My triathlon was , Peever, Skipping ropes and Doublers using Tennis balls . wub.gif
bilbo.s
Mine wis bools, dyke dreepin' and long distance hudgie ( Wellshot Road tae Parkhead Cross).
Of course that wis during my athletic phase which quickly petered oot.
angel
QUOTE (wombat @ 16th Aug 2016, 10:49pm) *

I only ever possessed one skate when I was young and when my mother would send me to the store , she would tell me to put on my skate because she knew that I could move like the wind when it was attached to my right shoe . laugh.gif yes.gif
Betsy2009
Don't believe all you read ...

''''There has already been too much said and too many valuable resources dedicated to what happened last weekend, so I hope we spend our time celebrating the great stories and performances of these games,'' Lochte said.

Rapid developments early Friday came hours after police announced that Lochte and his three teammates had not been robbed at gunpoint, as Lochte claimed. Instead, Brazilian police said the men vandalized the bathroom while intoxicated, were questioned by guards, then paid for the damage and left.

''No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed,'' Civil Police Chief Fernando Veloso said.''

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/lochte...ocid=spartandhp
angel
As far as I am concerned Lochte was the first to get off his mark and leave his team mates to face the music .

They have paid for the damage they caused and also a substantial charitable donation in order to get their passports returned and they now are back in the States, and of course apologies from their Olympic bosses to Rio .

Their gold medals should be taken from them , they lied about the whole incident '" such a bunch of louts "
Billy Boil
QUOTE (ashfield @ 6th Aug 2016, 08:02am) *
I know lots of people have been eagerly awaiting the Olympics, good luck to all our home nation competitors (see what I did there tongue.gif ). As usual our TV coverage is geared up to bore the living day lights out of us with wall to wall "experts" telling us who to watch or who will win all the medals. I'll watch some of it of course, but just bits here and there. My first foray into it was watching an "exciting" football match between Nigeria and Japan which ended 5-4. Exciting, it was more like watching a primary 6 game rolleyes.gif

Sure it wil get better as it goes on unsure.gif

I watched Mark Phelps, almost in tears as he complained, that in all his career as the greatest Olympian of all times, he never competed in any competition where drugs were not present. Added to this the rewarding of the Stalin Empire (now gangster state) with a seat at the table, after that sorry state was proven to have a megalomaniac sponsored policy of "doping to win at all costs". Most African nations can obtain sports enhancing drugs over the counter. A report, live from Scotland, last night on T.V. from the agency who blew the whistle on the Russians back in the London Olympics (totally ignored by the I.O.C.) stated that there was no change in the Stalin regimes approach to druggies, and that the users were well represented in the present "token team".

With this in mind I can't watch any of these "infected win at all costs" sports without wondering if I am watching an enhanced and unrepentant cheat being rewarded for dishonesty on a global scale.
Billy Boil
QUOTE (Heather @ 15th Aug 2016, 02:35pm) *
Angel, it's terrible a Company taking Tourist's round the poorest part's of Rio. How low can some people get to make some money.
I certainly would not go on a Tour like that.

Ah well cheer up, Andy Murray won the Tennis Gold. Well done Andy. thumbup.gif

He won it for Great U.K. and they hoisted the Union Jack when playing the Saxon national anthem.

And quote " he led HIS (?) country out carrying the nations flag".
Betsy2009
Well he is part of Team GB. What did you expect?
NI is not GB - it's UK so think how they must feel although they are still under the Union flag.
Kemedian
So proud. clap.gif

13 of Team GB's best-ever finishing total of 67 Olympic medals belong to Scotland. biggrin.gif

Team GB has narrowly surpassed its record total from London 2012, while Scotland's able-bodied athletes (with the Paralympics still to come!) have matched their own record from London, making GB the first ever country to better its medal total following a host Games.

On this final day of competition GB could come within one medal of equaling its victorious tally of 29 London Golds, with a boxer in the Men's Super Heavyweight final tonight. Scottish Gold amounts to 4 from Rio, three fewer than London.

Andy Murray, Callum Skinner and Sally Conway bring individual Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze respectively home to Scotland. The ten other medal-winning Scottish Olympians all took part in team events, making them very much part of the Great British success story, which has remarkably eclipsed that of mighty Team China by placing GB in 2nd place in the overall medal table behind the USA. ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
Scotland's 5000m runner Andrew Butchart excelled in his Final,
clocking a Personal Best time to finish 6th, and afterwards embraced teammate Mo Farah who finished just 5 seconds ahead to complete his famous 'double double'.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/37148223
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Aug 2016, 05:09pm) *
[size=3]So proud. clap.gif

13 of Team GB's best-ever finishing total of 67 Olympic medals belong to Scotland. biggrin.gif

Why are you so proud kem, did you win a medal?

Tennis mixed doubles with Steffi Graph perhaps? tongue.gif
Kemedian
clap.gif You certainly take the medal for predictability, every time. yes.gif
Billy Boil
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 19th Aug 2016, 10:12pm) *
Well he is part of Team GB. What did you expect?
NI is not GB - it's UK so think how they must feel although they are still under the Union flag.

Funny how when Scots play for Great England, how many here, after asserting their national identity, suddenly have their hearts swell with pride when the union jack is hosted aloft over them.

P.S. I can see how the Empire Loyalist element will no doubt be swelling with the pride of empire.

Roll on Scotexit!
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Aug 2016, 08:29pm) *
clap.gif You certainly take the medal for predictability, every time. yes.gif

Be honest kem, you never saw that coming? laugh.gif
Betsy2009
OK - I don't understand this. What is wrong of being proud of people who achieve?
Why do you have to knock everything? That's so mean spirited.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 22nd Aug 2016, 01:07pm) *
OK - I don't understand this. What is wrong of being proud of people who achieve?
Why do you have to knock everything? That's so mean spirited.

I'm assuming you're asking me this Betsy?

I can understand being happy for someone, but being "so proud" of someone else's achievements, i was happy to hear that Usain Bolt had won yet again but i wasn't "so proud" of his achievement.

I don't knock everything (unless you can prove otherwise) and i don't have a "mean spirited" bone in my body. wink.gif
Betsy2009
Merely semantics!
You did pounce on Kem when he said he was 'proud' of them. That's mean!
ashfield
Oh well, you know what they say about "pride" rolleyes.gif
Melody
Ah'll tell ye what would knock any pride of the games right out of ye forever.............those blessed BBC Breakfast presenters....yuk!!! I wonder if they'll ever manage to get off the subject of gold medals and how brilliant 'Team GB' are. ( what an absolutely awful title) yuk!!!!! Mind ye, if they're no talkin' about Team GB they are usually so busy talking about themselves and posing for the cameras. yuk, yuk,yuk. Dae ye think ah should stop watchin it? laugh.gif ph34r.gif
Dykejumper
Victory parades to come so they will be talking about Gold Medals for a few days yet
Melody
wacko.gif Early morning bath for me then. laugh.gif
zascot
What got me was the commentators saying that 1 of the Arab Emirates athletes was actually from Kenya, I did`nt here him say that the British Cyclist, Chris Froome was also from Kenya.
angel
I see that "Speedo " , one of Lochte's top sponsors
has dropped him , he will be losing a lot of money
as other sponsors will probably do the same .
Talisman
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Aug 2016, 04:09pm) *
So proud. clap.gif

Team GB has narrowly surpassed its record total from London 2012, while Scotland's able-bodied athletes (with the Paralympics still to come!) have matched their own record from London, making GB the first ever country to better its medal total following a host Games.

On this final day of competition GB could come within one medal of equaling its victorious tally of 29 London Golds, with a boxer in the Men's Super Heavyweight final tonight. Scottish Gold amounts to 4 from Rio, three fewer than London.

Andy Murray, Callum Skinner and Sally Conway bring individual Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze respectively home to Scotland. The ten other medal-winning Scottish Olympians all took part in team events, making them very much part of the Great British success story, which has remarkably eclipsed that of mighty Team China by placing GB in 2nd place in the overall medal table behind the USA. ohmy.gif

No Scots took part in those games. No Scottish flag was flown and no Scottish anthem played. All were representative of the U.K. capital in English London.
Kemedian
QUOTE (Talisman @ 22nd Aug 2016, 09:41pm) *
No Scots took part in those games.

Tell that to Mr Scotland himself, and the other 49 Scots in the team, if you dare! biggrin.gif

angel

I see that only about 15% of the ticket's have been
sold for the Paralympic games that begin in
a couple of weeks , there doesn't seem to be much
interest . mellow.gif
wombat
QUOTE (angel @ 24th Aug 2016, 04:16pm) *
I see that only about 15% of the ticket's have been
sold for the Paralympic games that begin in
a couple of weeks , there doesn't seem to be much
interest . mellow.gif

rolleyes.gif I didn't watch any of the Olympics

,too busy doing all the maintenance around the place to prepare for summer,overated nonsense yes.gif
Betsy2009
You're right. Summer is overrated nonsense!
wombat
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 24th Aug 2016, 09:41pm) *
You're right. Summer is overrated nonsense!

tongue.gif nah Olympics is, give me summer everytime yes.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wombat @ 24th Aug 2016, 10:30pm) *
rolleyes.gif I didn't watch any of the Olympics

,too busy doing all the maintenance around the place to prepare for summer,overated nonsense yes.gif

I never watch the Summer Olympics (i prefer the Winter games) same with the Commonwealth games.

I forget you guys are in Winter down there, what's the temperature today, a chilly 20c perhaps? laugh.gif
wombat
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 25th Aug 2016, 10:54am) *
I never watch the Summer Olympics (i prefer the Winter games) same with the Commonwealth games.

I forget you guys are in Winter down there, what's the temperature today, a chilly 20c perhaps? laugh.gif

tongue.gif 15deg M8 tongue.gif
Mathieson
Superb performance by the GB & NI Olympic team to finish in second place.
I remember when the nation merely celebrated the odd gold or silver from David Hemery, Mary Peters or David Wilkie and we always finished well down the table behind the likes of East and West Germany, Canada, Australia, Korea, etc, etc.
Well done all!!

Special mention to Usain Bolt for his remarkable triple triple!
👍
Billy Boil
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 25th Aug 2016, 09:54am) *

YOUR WRITE AND NOT RONG. Yesterday 20c. warmer today 21? Near Queensland border south of Cape Byron.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.