Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: European Championship 2016
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
GG
All three UK teams have played in France, with mixed results:
GG.
GG
On another note, Uefa has threatened to disqualify England and Russia from Euro 2016 if there is any further violence by fans, despite video evidence quite clearly showing that the majority of incidents were on ordinary English supporters as victims of both Russian and French thugs.

GG.

john.mcn
I couldn't believe that after showing groups of 'fans' wearing England tops and St George flags they were called British fans on TV..
wombat
QUOTE (GG @ 12th Jun 2016, 09:35pm) *
On another note, Uefa has threatened to disqualify England and Russia from Euro 2016 if there is any further violence by fans, despite video evidence quite clearly showing that the majority of incidents were on ordinary English supporters as victims of both Russian and French thugs.

GG.

laugh.gif that's a laff when its ALWAYS the English hooligans that start trouble laugh.gif

Billy Boil
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Jun 2016, 11:17pm) *
I couldn't believe that after showing groups of 'fans' wearing England tops and St George flags they were called British fans on TV..

As with all sports and cultural events, if you lose you are Scottish, Welsh or Irish: if you win you are British or better still English.
Melody
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 13th Jun 2016, 07:38am) *

Thanks Bilbo.s, nearer to the usual truth regarding English fans.
GG
Russia given suspended disqualification

Russia will be thrown out of Euro 2016 if their fans cause further trouble, says European governing body Uefa.

The Russians have also been fined 150,000 euros (119,000) following violent scenes at the game against England in Marseille on Saturday.

The suspended disqualification and fine relate only to incidents that happened inside the stadium.

There were reports of minor disturbances between rival fans in Lille on Tuesday evening.

Russia play Group B rivals Slovakia in the city on Wednesday, while England fans are congregating there before Thursday's match against Wales in the nearby town of Lens.

French authorities are increasing security before the games - 4,000 extra police and security officials will be on duty - and the sale of alcohol will be restricted in both Lille and Lens.

Mobile phone footage posted on Twitter on Tuesday showed two sets of fans confronting each other outside a bar, with chairs strewn across the pavement on the Place de la Gare in central Lille.

However, other footage posted on social media showed fans playing football in a calm city square. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36528403

GG.
Billy Boil
It appears to be part of the ambience of soccer that flares be thrown, accompanied by bottles and other trash.

This I believe is a reflection of the mental instability of the fans. There are many and varied "BALL" games played here, in Australia and the only ones stopped this year for flare throwing were 2 soccer teams and at soccer internationals. Australia defeated, at home, in a rugby test series for the first time in history by England needed no police interventionof any description. The main games here are Rugby, Rugby Union and Australian rules. The last arrest heard of was when a man struck a woman for telling
him to stop swearing in front of her children. He will never again set foot in a venue of his favourite sport. and was handed to the authorities by his own team fans. To have laid hands on this miscreant at a soccer match would as in all petty or trivial occurrence led to rioting on a grand scale.

And before you rage against me in refuting indignation, remember this; "Soccer Hooligans" are part of the lexicography of most English speaking nations.

Rugby Hooligans, Australian rule Hooligans, Grid Iron Hooligans, Basket Ball, Base ball. None have yet attained that unenviable suffix to their sport.
Kemedian
All three UK teams are through to the next round! clap.gif clap.gif

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36592524
GG
I didn't know that, Kemedian.

I saw he result and just assumed that Northern Ireland were out. What a fantastic achievement for the British teams... just a pity Scotland aren't there!

GG.
Talisman
QUOTE (GG @ 21st Jun 2016, 09:47pm) *
I didn't know that, Kemedian.

I saw he result and just assumed that Northern Ireland were out. What a fantastic achievement for the British teams... just a pity Scotland aren't there!

GG.

In the event of Wales or the Irish identity winning they will in the media be conferred with the accolade of British.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Jun 2016, 11:27pm) *

thumbup.gif
ashfield
A good outcome for the UK teams but, quite frankly, I couldn't care less. It may sound like heresy but I've been bored by the competition. The commentaries didn't help and the half-baked, half-time summations of guys who think playing football makes them experts. I have tried watching with the sound off, doesn't help much. The final group games have been better, so here's hoping the knock out rounds continue the trend.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Jun 2016, 10:27pm) *

When did you drop the ABE routine Kem?
Kemedian
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Jun 2016, 10:17am) *
When did you drop the ABE routine Kem?

Two words for you, Jagz... Jamie Vardy.

My team at this tournament is Gareth Bale & Co, who bumped England into 2nd place and even let Vardy score. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 22nd Jun 2016, 12:02pm) *
Two words for you, Jagz... Jamie Vardy.

Well that makes as much sense as any of your other replies to my questions? laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Jun 2016, 12:41pm) *
Well that makes as much sense as any of your other replies to my questions? laugh.gif

And..............he missed out "offside goal" at the end of his post rolleyes.gif
Kemedian
QUOTE (ashfield @ 22nd Jun 2016, 03:39pm) *
And..............he missed out "offside goal" at the end of his post rolleyes.gif

Wales will beat England when it really counts, in the Final. shower.gif
Kemedian
But they'll now have to beat Northern Ireland first!
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/22/watch-icelan...-clash-5961175/ sign_lol.gif
ashfield
As last a game worth watching, Hungary v Portugal. What do we get on the commentary , regular updates on the performance of the EPL referee and even his assistants and how well England will do against Portugal in the next round. Afterwards, due to a late goal, it's announced that England would be playing Iceland instead. What do we get from Gary Line Acre and the rest of the EBC panel, how much easier it will be for England to progress. Oh aye, and a few highlights from the game huh.gif
JAGZ1876
They never learn, i think Iceland will be a bit more difficult than they imagine Ash.
angel

The announcer's reaction to Icelands goal over Austria
was priceless laugh.gif , He sure lost the plot , lol
ashfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Jun 2016, 10:39am) *
They never learn, i think Iceland will be a bit more difficult than they imagine Ash.

We can only hope wink.gif
Kemedian
QUOTE (ashfield @ 23rd Jun 2016, 03:42pm) *
We can only hope wink.gif

Iceland 2-1 England ohmy.gif

And then there was one... Come on Wales!!

England out of Europe shocker. laugh.gif

Go Iceland. thumbup.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Jun 2016, 10:39am) *

Just as well they didn't get Portugal laugh.gif
wombat
biggrin.gif why do I feel so happy today? biggrin.gif
john.mcn

Is that Iceland 2 for 1, might pop in tomorrow and pick up chips if there's any left...
Dykejumper
Sterling has been devalued , used to be worth 40 million.
Talisman
There is a GOD and his name is THOR.
ashfield
Murder polis, imagine going out of Europe twice in the same week huh.gif

I'm supporting Farm Foods in the next round cool.gif
john.mcn
I see some in England are demanding a rematch and that the last one didn't count..well i think it was the football they were talking about wink.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 28th Jun 2016, 08:45am) *
I see some in England are demanding a rematch and that the last one didn't count..well i think it was the football they were talking about wink.gif

Perhaps Iceland told lies about how many goals they would score unsure.gif
tombro
I believe flood warnings have been issued all over England due to the rest of the UK pi**ing themselves laughing over the Iceland result !

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif
john.mcn
QUOTE (ashfield @ 28th Jun 2016, 08:08am) *
Perhaps Iceland told lies about how many goals they would score unsure.gif

Yeah the manager fielded the wrong team, he was hopeless and had to resign etc etc, at the end of the game one side lost and its supporters have to stop crying and accept that
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 27th Jun 2016, 10:33pm) *
Is that Iceland 2 for 1, might pop in tomorrow and pick up chips if there's any left...

They say Icelands cheap, but Joe Hart never saved anything. laugh.gif
john.mcn
I hear he's still there, every time he put his hand out to hail a taxi for the airport they go right past him
GG
I don't normally watch the panel rantings after any game, but was stuck at the front of the TV in the pub so watched it. I thought they were so over the top in their vilification of the England players that it just got ridiculously unwatchable.

GG.
ashfield
Go Wales thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Fantastic result and well played yes.gif
bilbo.s
Best game I've seen so far. Have you seen the FB one showing possession-Wales 48% Belgium 52% ?
Shows that it's possible to lose 48 to 52 and still remain in Europe!
DannyH
I think the England - Iceland result should be used as an example of what is happening to our society. It is okay have a laugh at England, but to me there is a broader picture.

I can remember the days when the maximum wage for a footballer in England was 10. There was no such limit in Scotland.

Johnny Haynes of Fulham became the first footballer in the UK to earn 100 per week. This was considered to be sensational at the time.

Apart from the great Real Madrid tem which came to Hampden, the best forward line I have ever seen was at an International between Scotland and England. The English forward line was Matthews, (Stoke City) Riach Carter(can't remember), Tommy Lawton (Notts County), Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough), and Tom Finney (Preston North End).

They thumped us 6-1!

Note, none of the above Clubs are in the elite today. Liverpool and Manchester United were 2nd raters in those days.

Now England don't have sufficient numbers of quality players in their top League. Television money means that clubs can now buy instant success. There is no chance of English youngsters getting into the top League teams. The English football supporters have been very scathing of their team and the manager. But these same supporters don't want to give their homegrown talent the opportunity to blossom. So their Clubs bring in foreign players. Their youngsters are loaned out to Clubs in lower Leagues, and most disappear for good.

Just makes me think this is what is happening to our youngsters in other occupations. Why have apprentices when you can import the finished article.

Danny Harris
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (DannyH @ 3rd Jul 2016, 05:23pm) *
Apart from the great Real Madrid tem which came to Hampden, the best forward line I have ever seen was at an International between Scotland and England. The English forward line was Matthews, (Stoke City) Riach Carter(can't remember), Tommy Lawton (Notts County), Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough), and Tom Finney (Preston North End).

They thumped us 6-1!

Danny Harris

Hi Danny old pal, while i agree with everything you say regarding the England football team, i think your memory is playing tricks on you though, i'm a bit of a football stats anorak and i can find no game where England scored six against us at Hampden during the time of the players you mention, were you present at the 1955 game in Wembley where England beat us 7-2?

Perhaps that's the game your thinking of, but that forward line up didn't play that day.

Your old pal Jagz. thumbup.gif
Dykejumper
I think Billy McNeil might vote for this lot who put 9 past Scotland , our poor Goalie Frank Haffey eventually emigrated

Douglas , Smith , Greaves, Haynes , and Charlton.
DannyH
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 4th Jul 2016, 08:38am) *
Hi Danny old pal, while i agree with everything you say regarding the England football team, i think your memory is playing tricks on you though, i'm a bit of a football stats anorak and i can find no game where England scored six against us at Hampden during the time of the players you mention, were you present at the 1955 game in Wembley where England beat us 7-2?

Perhaps that's the game your thinking of, but that forward line up didn't play that day.

Your old pal Jagz. :thumbup:

Hello Jagz

This is my second attempt to answer you. I don't know what happened to my first reply!

Anyway, get yourself a new anorak! Went on to Google and got confirmation that England beat Scotand 6-1 in April 1945, at Hampden. Didn't watch the newsreel as I wanted to get back to you quickly!

Couldn't get the team list, but if memory serves me right,, the English team was:

Frank Swift, Goalkeper, Hardwicke and Ramsey, Full Backs

Billy Wright (Wolves), Neil Franklin and, Joe Mercer (Arsenal)Halh Backs

Stanley Matthews (Stoke), Riach Carter, Tommy Lawton (Notts County, Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough, Tom Finney (Preston) Forward Line.

Brogan of HIbs broke his leg in the first minute in a collision with Frank Swift. Substitutes were not allowed in those days, but because this incident happened in the first minute, Johnstone of Clyde was allowed on to play for Scotland.

So you young whippersnapper, all of the above is from my memory, except for the confirmation of the score, via Google.

Regarding the 1955 game, you would just be a youngster then. If is was the game in which a young Bobby Charlton of England, scored such a great goal, that the Scottish goalkeeper Tommy ? of HIbs, ran out to Bobby and shook him by the hand, I was at the game.

Worst Scottish team I have ever seen. The wee outside left for Scotland, Tommy ? of Partick Thistle, never got a pass from Tommy Docherty the whole game. Half back line
McColl Evans, Docherty. The outside right was Herd of Clyde. The inside left played for Motherwell. Good club player, out of his depth at this level.

I better stop in case it is the wrong game!

Regards

Danny

P.S. I have got the suicide pill handy, in the event that this second attempt fails.

Only kidding Martin, honestly.
Dykejumper
Danny
Dykejumper
Danny, war time games dont count, it was just a wee friendly watched by 133000 lol
DannyH
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 4th Jul 2016, 04:42pm) *
Danny, war time games dont count, it was just a wee friendly watched by 133000 lol

Hello Dykejumper,

I know, but if you were one of the more than 100,000 Scots at the game, it counted alright. 1,2,3,4,5,6! No wonder alchohol was consumed in such great quantitiies in public in those days. At least we can drown our sorrows in front of the TV at home nowadays.I was only 13 at the time, so my 'tipple ' was a glass of ginger wine.

The English supporters in those days wore handkerchiefs on their heads. I think it was to stem the blood flowing from their injuries inflicted after each English goal!

Regards

Danny
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (DannyH @ 4th Jul 2016, 04:02pm) *
Hello Jagz

Anyway, get yourself a new anorak! Went on to Google and got confirmation that England beat Scotand 6-1 in April 1945, at Hampden. Didn't watch the newsreel as I wanted to get back to you quickly!

Stanley Matthews (Stoke), Riach Carter, Tommy Lawton (Notts County, Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough, Tom Finney (Preston) Forward Line.

So you young whippersnapper, all of the above is from my memory, except for the confirmation of the score, via Google.

Regarding the 1955 game, you would just be a youngster then. If is was the game in which a young Bobby Charlton of England, scored such a great goal

Regards

Danny

Dykejumper is right, wartime games were unofficial, (won't be buying a new anorak anytime soon tongue.gif ) and as Tom Finney didn't make his debut for Preston North End until August 1946 there is no way he played that day for England.

I wasn't born until 1957 so i definitely didn't see the 1955 game, and Bobby Charlton didn't make his full England debut until 1958.

Nice to talk about football from the day's it was played by real men though. thumbup.gif

Take care my old friend.
DannyH
Hello Jagz

As we are going off topic, let's call it a draw. 0-0.

Maybe someday you can get back to me and tell me when that forward line played. Wait until you get your new anorak!

Best regards

Danny
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (DannyH @ 5th Jul 2016, 03:03pm) *
Hello Jagz

As we are going off topic, let's call it a draw. 0-0.

Maybe someday you can get back to me and tell me when that forward line played. Wait until you get your new anorak!

Best regards

Danny

I don't think anyone will mind us going OT Danny, after all there isn't any games tonight.

I can't tell you if that line up played a full England international or not but if they did it could only have been 1946 or 1947 as Raich Carter retired from international football in 1947.

Hope this helps pal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.