Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springburn Photos
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
mmaguire
HI:

I am looking for images of Springburn. Particularly I am looking for images of Elmvale St., and its environs in the 1950's and 1960's. I lived there until about 1962-3 at 19 Elmvale St., which was the third house on left hand side as numbering on that side after Church of Scotland and the Youth Employment Exchange started at 15. There were about 5 closes on the opposite side and my house / close was opposite a small shop called Mary's (Mc Cusker) - the others being Frank's ( Peris.. sp!) and Jimmy's (Curran) The pub at the corner was called Healy's but often referred to as Maguire's.

I am also interested in images of the Dog's Park and Daisy Park. I am not sure how well or widely known these 2 areaswere to others!

The Daisy park for me was the area from the Cowlairs Coop Grocery at end of buildings on road to Bishopbriggs. The "park" was divided by a footpath that went to Springburn Park main gate.

The Dog's Park was the area beside the Baby Clinic off Hawthorn St., up from other side opposite Fernbank St. Later this was covered by SSH houses and Police station at corner of Hawthorn St., and Springburn Rd. There was also a stock of large water or sewer pipes that were left piled up behind red tenement buildings on Hawthorn St.

Thanks in advance

Martin Maguire
GG
Martin, I just saw your post. Take a look at the following page, which includes "the pub at the corner was called Healy's but often referred to as Maguire's", which was in fact more commonly known as the Terminus Bar.

http://oldspringburn.wikifoundry.com/page/...ld+Springburn+3

These photos bring back the faintest but most poignant of memories for me. Hope they do for you too. Also, look at the menu at the top-left of the page and you'll see a list of nine pages under the menu option 'Old Springburn Photos'. There will be so many of interest to you, but look at the fourth photo on the first page.

Enjoy and have the hankies ready.

GG.
*petunia*
The photo of Leckethill Street is taken from the high road I lived in Bedlay Street at the top of these stairs, walked Springburn Road from one end to the other every Saturday for years long time ago.
mmaguire
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Feb 2016, 12:28am) *
Martin, I just saw your post. Take a look at the following page, which includes "the pub at the corner was called Healy's but often referred to as Maguire's", which was in fact more commonly known as the Terminus Bar.

Thanks for that .

Had seen most of these before but strangely I do not remember the one from Sprinburn Rd., of Hawthorn St., and indeed the area which we called the dog's park.

The photo of Elmvale St., clearly shows Franks shop in the middle of the block and our house was on the opposite side of the street. On a side note the houses I understand were built in the 1930's by the Corporation and my family moved there in 1936. They were all fitted with a device in the kitchen known as a "back to back" which combined a stove and cooker on which there was a 3 ring mains gas ring that could be raised up off the top exposing the range top for cooking. The back to back part was that the fire which was through the wall in the Living room could be altered to power the kitchen stove and oven and of cours water for the kichen and bathroom by changing the draw on the main fireplace.

Of course these devices were all black and thought - at least by my mother - as being old fashioned or dirty in appearance. I thought it was an amazing device that could directly heat 2 rooms, cook and also heat water to an extent that you would draw off the hot water to stop it actually boiling in the storage tank that was mounted in the kitchen.

This was the work of a local company whom I think were called Thomas Ure and were located in Keppochhill Rd , Springburn. The surround of the device, from memory, carried a patent reference abd their details with their address.

I wonder if any of these survived as I am sure their design and skill would have melted the heart of many environmentalists.

I can only hope that there are more Sprinburn photos out there - surely someone took a photo of the other side ofthe street.!!

My mum and dad had previously lived at grond floor of 4 Leckethill St. in the 1930's.

Thanks for you help and suggestions

MM

http://oldspringburn.wikifoundry.com/page/...ld+Springburn+3

>but look at the fourth photo on the first page.

I remember that view well and the terminus for the 4 and 16 trams - with occasional route additions. I can also remember one tram coming off the end of the rails and leaving a tracking scar in the road surface about 3 to 4 tram lengths for many years.

Also the buses 37 and 46 and a later addition of the 53.

On another note, one of my Grandfathers was a railwayman in Sighthill named George Nicol ( he died in the 1920's) and before my dad died ion the 90's he told me that there was a memorial plaque that had been mounted in or at Sighthill years before celebrating the set up of the Union.
It seemingly was moved to another location after the development at Sighthill, If anyone has any information about this, I would be delighted to hear about this.

:-)

MM
wellfield
QUOTE (*petunia* @ 17th Feb 2016, 05:51pm) *
The photo of Leckethill Street is taken from the high road I lived in Bedlay Street at the top of these stairs, walked Springburn Road from one end to the other every Saturday for years long time ago.

Probably passed by you,maybe even had whistled!....lol
GG
MM, not the best of Keppochhill Road, though it is a very rare perspective.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/james73/me...977_07.jpg.html

GG.
mmaguire
Hi:

Good clear photo. It looks like this may have been taken from Flemington St., - from my memory around this location. I think there was a yard on Keppochill Rd that belonged to Wm.Ure who made te fabulous heat/cook/ water devices many for the energy crisis at that time - ie your ability to pay.

:-)

Thanks

MM
ExPOW
GG's post includes the link:
James73's Website

showing the Springburn Firestation on the left across from the Flemington Street Corner looking down Keppochill Road. The first parked car on the left past the Firestation was roughly the terminus for the 32 Bus to Scotstoun. yes.gif
flam
Mmaquire..There was a foundry in Keppochill Road, but it had the name of Allan URE
mmaguire
QUOTE (flam @ 25th Feb 2016, 01:05pm) *
There was a foundry in Keppochill Road, but it had the name of Allan URE

You may very well be right or this may be the inheritor of the people that made the heating/cooking water boiling / house heating device. :-)

What I would really like to find is a photo of the self same device. I wonder if the Glasgow Copro retained any of these either in a building or details of same.

Thanks for the info. I am also potentially wrong after 55 years of last seeing same item.

Kind regards

M.Maguire
mmaguire
QUOTE (ExPOW @ 24th Feb 2016, 06:26pm) *
GG's post includes the link:
James73's Website

showing the Springburn Firestation on the left across from the Flemington Street Corner looking down Keppochill Road. The first parked car on the left past the Firestation was roughly the terminus for the 32 Bus to Scotstoun. yes.gif

HI ExPOW:

One advantage of Springburm was its transport links and its nearness to Glasgow Town Centre. As kid I got twwo travel passes to over the multiple connections to school. In time I discovered that I could use all sorts of connections ,and did, to go to and from school. In those journey's I gained many a quizzical or strange look from conductors who were wondering hwere I was going. The 32 was in one of those many combinations of school travel around darkest Glasgow and selected only if I had a spare "click" on my pass. ohmy.gif
flam
I used to walk up Keppochhill Road with my mothers Accumulators to be charged in Springburn Road, I think it was called Hopes
ExPOW
There was always a brisk underground traffic of unused "Travellers" as we called them at school.
The 32 Bus Service was crewed by drivers and clippies from Knightswood Garage.
The stuff you remember......

Questions that have been asked:

"Who's responsible for the largescale destruction of the old Springburn?"

I know because I used to pal around with the man who, by the way, was a native of Springburn, went to Albert High and, as it happens, told me one day that he got his revenge on the place by driving the motorway through it. Architects and street planners wield awsome powers.

Just for old times' sake, here's a pic of one of the travesties to beset Balgrayhill during the 1960-70s era.
*EXPOW*
The old Springburn Fire Station is on the left across the road (behind the wheeled case pushing the lady across the street) and the first vehicle on the left past the firestation is roughly the terminus of the 32 Bus to Scotstoun if I remember correctly.
QUOTE (mmaguire @ 25th Feb 2016, 01:20pm) *
You may very well be right or this may be the inheritor of the people that made the heating/cooking water boiling / house heating device. :-)

What I would really like to find is a photo of the self same device. I wonder if the Glasgow Copro retained any of these either in a building or details of same.

Thanks for the info. I am also potentially wrong after 55 years of last seeing same item.

Kind regards

M.Maguire

I think your memory serves you well!

Ure Interior Heater
mmaguire
QUOTE (Guest @ 1st Mar 2016, 12:01am) *
I think your memory serves you well!

Ure Interior Heater

Thanks for the link to the image of the Allen. Ure fireplace. It was referred to locally - if I remember rightly as a "back to back" fire.

I note that the one we had - and the fireplace was the "living room side " of the apparatus was slightly changed from the image and came together with cast irom pieces that could insert into the fireplace pillars at the side to swing in nad out of the caol fire to allow for pots or kettles to be heated.

Other tools that appear to have bneen provided with the 1935/6 version were a game of poker, a detachabel handle to pull and push a draft to increase or decrease the heating of water and directing heat to the kitchen "cooker" There was also a device with a curver flat bar cale a "cleet" which was used to clear out any cinders form the fire that had been directed towards the cooker. The fireplace surround was a decorated ( cooper /bronze finish that could be lifted for cleaning and washing the tiles.

The surround which was made of Wood (probably plywood) was designed like 3 boxes - ie each side was a long box with the top being formed with a bevelled panel at the front and a the ends of the 2 sides forming "ends" to this.. We used to have things like candlestick - no candles and I can remember a little siver version of the Coronation coach that I had been given was allowed space up there too!. The real business end was all in the kitchen and is referred to in the advert as the "Cooker" which combined ovens with water heating and separate gas ring which could be swung up out of the way to allow you to place pots on the top of the range. It was alll black and used to get an annual coat of Japlac black enamel paint after it had been thoroughly cleaned inside and out (and I mean the working parts where soot an other debris had gathered over the past months or years). Other vents were removed and similarly treated.

It would be really good to see the Cooker end of this appliance.

Personally I really do think this was a great device which would have had a great future with environmentalists especially if it had been adapted to allow for other fuels.. but then again maybe it had.

Pity that The Corpo did not keep some old houses with models of the decor and technology used through the ages.

Kind regards

MM
ktv
QUOTE (ExPOW @ 25th Feb 2016, 06:19pm) *
There was always a brisk underground traffic of unused "Travellers" as we called them at school.
The 32 Bus Service was crewed by drivers and clippies from Knightswood Garage.
The stuff you remember......

Questions that have been asked:

"Who's responsible for the largescale destruction of the old Springburn?"

I know because I used to pal around with the man who, by the way, was a native of Springburn, went to Albert High and, as it happens, told me one day that he got his revenge on the place by driving the motorway through it. Architects and street planners wield awsome powers.

Just for old times' sake, here's a pic of one of the travesties to beset Balgrayhill during the 1960-70s era.

the high rise seem to be smaller in that pic for some reason.
and id agree that the motorway halving the area was one of the main factors in its decline.
ExPOW
There may be some optical distortion in the photograph but I distinctly recall
the number of floors being fixed at twenty-two stories. I counted 21. The first story is obscured by the, as they were sometimes referred to, "maisonettes".
Vertically, they were claimed to be the highest in Europe for the time. I suppose that meant above sea level.
ktv
ye i think your right about the pic.
the maisonettes are lower now too as they chopped a few floors off them a few years ago.
im sure the balgary flats go higher than 21 though.

edit (just asked some one who stays there n he says they go up to 24)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.