Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82
john.mcn

Might want to check those figures rather than the 'headline', it's also only unemployment benefit, child benefit, housing benefit and working tax tax credits are not counted in the Guardians. Child benefit can be claimed here even when the children live abroad, now that is madness.
flam
Carmella ,that is what I have been saying all the time on this forum,the SNP want to be ruled by Brussels, but don't want to be part of the British Government, but Jim Sillars believes we should leave the EU, you could not make it up
Betsy2009
''Foreign criminals cannot be automatically deported because it would breach their children's rights to live as EU citizens, the European Court of Justice looks set to rule, in what would be a significant blow to Theresa May's Home Office.

The advocate general of Europe's highest court said that foreign offenders whose children have British nationality cannot be expelled "simply" because they have committed a crime.

If the court's final ruling backs this preliminary opinion, it would overturn British laws that say the Home Secretary is obliged to automatically deport all non-EU foreigners who are sentenced to more than one year in prison, regardless of their family circumstances.

Instead, the Home Secretary must weigh up in each case whether the criminal presents a "genuine, present and sufficiently serious" threat to society. That includes judging their health, economic circumstances and likelihood of reoffending, the court said.

It would open the door to potentially hundreds of low-level foreign criminals claiming the right to stay in Britain.

The case intensifies pressure on David Cameron, whose renegotiation has not touched on the powers of the ECJ over British law. Yesterday he promised to bring forward legislative proposals soon that will "put beyond doubt" the sovereignty of the Commons over European law. ''
carmella
QUOTE (flam @ 5th Feb 2016, 11:02am) *
Carmella ,that is what I have been saying all the time on this forum,the SNP want to be ruled by Brussels, but don't want to be part of the British Government, but Jim Sillars believes we should leave the EU, you could not make it up

thumbup.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (flam @ 5th Feb 2016, 11:02am) *
the SNP want to be ruled by Brussels, but don't want to be part of the British Government, but Jim Sillars believes we should leave the EU, you could not make it up

Once again, the SNP want an iScotland ruled from Edinburgh.....Fact, why do you keep regurgitating the same old bilge?

Jim Sillars is no longer a member of the SNP, he is entitled to his own opinion, you are the only one making it up. yes.gif
Billy Boil
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 5th Feb 2016, 11:25am) *
''Foreign criminals cannot be automatically deported because it would breach their children's rights to live as EU citizens, the European Court of Justice looks set to rule, in what would be a significant blow to Theresa May's Home Office.

The advocate general of Europe's highest court said that foreign offenders whose children have British nationality cannot be expelled "simply" because they have committed a crime.

If the court's final ruling backs this preliminary opinion, it would overturn British laws that say the Home Secretary is obliged to automatically deport all non-EU foreigners who are sentenced to more than one year in prison, regardless of their family circumstances.

Instead, the Home Secretary must weigh up in each case whether the criminal presents a "genuine, present and sufficiently serious" threat to society. That includes judging their health, economic circumstances and likelihood of reoffending, the court said.

It would open the door to potentially hundreds of low-level foreign criminals claiming the right to stay in Britain.

The case intensifies pressure on David Cameron, whose renegotiation has not touched on the powers of the ECJ over British law. Yesterday he promised to bring forward legislative proposals soon that will "put beyond doubt" the sovereignty of the Commons over European law. ''

Have you seen Europe lately; Herr Merkal insisted Europe could house and feed and employ all of north Africa, Sub Saharan Africa, even from as near as the Balkan state, Sri Lanka and all others looking for a boost in income at the expense of those who have lived through generation of war and want to reach where they are today at little or no effort to themselves.

As for those who preached a united Europe; Hitler, Charlemange, Napoleon, Stalin (Germany Again) and the organized crime families of the European Parliament, once our fathers fought them for the independence that is the birth right won for all free nations.
Kemedian
And the award for best drama goes to...
ktv
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 8th Feb 2016, 04:21pm) *
And the award for best fictional drama goes to...

fixed that for you
Kemedian
A new gas plant has begun operating in Shetland, at a cost to the French company Total of 3.5bn.

Thanks, France. Click to view attachment

I've taken a look at the company website, which boasts of being the no. 1 provider of gas to UK business.

BETTER ENERGY NEEDS COLLABORATION: THE GEOSCIENCE RESEARCH CENTRE

Being able to successfully develop new supplies of energy requires innovative technologies and a fresh approach. In mature basins such as the North Sea there are still billions of barrels waiting to be discovered and produced, but they are in more complicated rock formations and that makes it much more challenging. By creating partnerships with leading academics and research institutions across the UK and internationally, Total is one of the world’s leading players in ensuring future access to energy.

- See more at: http://www.total.uk/en/total-uk/better-ene...h.7T9TjZEK.dpuf

MARTIN LINGE: BETTER ENERGY CAN CROSS BORDERS AND HAVE LOWER ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS

Nothing sums up what it means to be a major oil and gas operator better than Total’s Martin Linge project – a major development linking the UK and Norwegian sectors of the North Sea. This innovative offshore project is reducing the amount of CO2 emissions typically associated with offshore production and delivering energy to where it is needed. Total’s Martin Linge will see 80,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, starting 2016, bringing additional supplies of energy to the UK.

- See more at: http://www.total.uk/en/total-uk/better-ene...h.fOJbhsMi.dpuf

So, collaboration across borders produces better energy?

This is good news and more so for the campaign to remain, in my opinion.

An independent United Kingdom could achieve the same result, perhaps. But we didn't need independence, we needed French money and lots and lots of it! Obviously, severing the UK's Political ties with the EU won't sever the pipelines, however with business able and willing to build in such a challenging location and industry, what's the point?

With this part of the UK dependent on the industry and with the industry dependent on large investment, in the current fluctuating economic climate (www.energyvoice.com/marketinfo) I do not see the advantage here of independence.
john.mcn

Is Norway in the EU then?
Kemedian
Is Norway in the UK?
john.mcn
Very good, your argument about collaboration across borders in the context of an EU debate falls flat on its face when asked if Norway is part of that EU, i'll answer for you since you ducked it, it isn't part of the EU and manages quite well outside of it. In fact so happy are they that the people have rejected becoming a member of it not once but twice.
Kemedian
The answer to both questions is: no.

There the similarity ends before it even begins.

Shetland is, and long may it remain.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 8th Feb 2016, 09:45pm) *
when asked if Norway is part of that EU, i'll answer for you since you ducked it, it isn't part of the EU and manages quite well outside of it.

Ah yes John, but the Norwegians don't realise they're Too Wee, Too Poor and Too Stupid to manage on their own.

Tsk........Stupid Norwegians. tongue.gif
Kemedian
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Feb 2016, 09:58pm) *
Ah yes John, but the Norwegians don't realise they're Too Wee, Too Poor and Too Stupid to manage on their own.

The UK is none of those things, but it does do better as part of the EU.

Have you changed your mind all together, Jagz, about voting to remain?
john.mcn
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 8th Feb 2016, 09:51pm) *
The answer to both questions is: no.

There the similarity ends before it even begins.

Shetland is, and long may it remain.

So you're linking a deal between the UK and a Norwegian oil platform as some sort of benefit with the EU when Norway isn't even a member...gotcha......
ktv
Norway might not be part of the EU but it upholds many EU laws and treaties,
schengen for example.

maybe the best of both worlds.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 8th Feb 2016, 10:23pm) *
Have you changed your mind all together, Jagz, about voting to remain?

No, i'm still mulling it over. unsure.gif
Kemedian
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 8th Feb 2016, 11:00pm) *
So you're linking a deal between the UK and a Norwegian oil platform as some sort of benefit with the EU when Norway isn't even a member...gotcha......

No, you are. The big story here involves Shetland and France.

The sub-plot is that an important European investor and operator in the UK energy sector thinks cross-border collaboration produces better results for everyone concerned. Are you surprised?
Betsy2009
''The sub-plot is that an important European investor and operator in the UK energy sector thinks cross-border collaboration produces better results for everyone concerned. Are you surprised?''

No - because it has happened before the EU even existed.

Forget the EU and bring back Free Trade.
Kemedian
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 9th Feb 2016, 12:38pm) *
Forget the EU and bring back Free Trade.

The EU can be a safety net in hard times, e.g. Greece.

I don't want the UK to leave a big hole in it.

Times are tough for most countries economically and I believe that European Unity offers a better chance to both recover and thrive.

The status quo didn't do Shetland's oil and gas industry any harm!

Besides, it wouldn't be as simple as a return to free trade because that's not on the ballot paper.

In principle, for me power and responsibility are far greater shared among winners than risked by loners.
john.mcn
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 9th Feb 2016, 11:43am) *
No, you are. The big story here involves Shetland and France.

The sub-plot is that an important European investor and operator in the UK energy sector thinks cross-border collaboration produces better results for everyone concerned. Are you surprised?

Kem you posted the story and link in a thread about the EU, you linked them not me.

Total is a business and businesses are primarily there to make profit for its shareholders, they are investing in Shetland because they expect to turn a profit, that is how the world works. multi nationals like Total, who operate in 130 countries, would love 'silly wee things' like borders to be non existent, they are an obstacle to them making more money and you are showing how naive you are by implying they are doing this to benefit Shetland.
Kemedian
Shetland won't benefit?
john.mcn
rolleyes.gif

Jeez have you been drinking the same hooch others have. Shetland will benefit of course but Total are not doing it for them, if they were wasn't any profit in it the investment would go elsewhere.
Kemedian
Shetland will benefit.

Borders are not the way forward. You may well argue that by strengthening borders we keep out the worst of the rest, but I shall argue that that pursuit brings out the worst in us. mellow.gif
john.mcn
If you leave your door unlocked and wide open and advertise it you'll come home to no TV or laptop and the person who has them will make sure their door is locked as he's not a bloody idiot.

Ohh and look how successful 'no borders' are in Europe, they cant close them fast enough.
Kemedian
War-time measures are not the way forward, but can be a necessary evil in order to maintain order until better plans can be worked out by governments.
john.mcn

Eh, did you get that out of a fortune cookie?
ktv
no borders within the EU are closed.

fact.
Kemedian
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 9th Feb 2016, 11:02pm) *
Eh, did you get that out of a fortune cookie?

I suppose, if we do leave and seek out new fortune elsewhere, then we could TOTALly get more cookies!! wink.gif
Kemedian
Although I now hear that Chinese economic growth ain't what it was.

Heck, is anywhere entirely safe and sound? Is the grass always greener??
john.mcn

Scotland cant be very strong if it needs to be part of 2 much bigger political unions.
Kemedian
If you say so.

I would put it rather that each member has its particular strengths as well as weaknesses, and together we are a more complete union with combined strength that enables us to support each other.
Betsy2009
Between Cameron and Brussels there will be nothing left.

''The Tories are quietly ending a free school meals fund which has paid out more than 32 million.

Special cash grants for nearly 3,000 of the smallest infant schools will not be renewed at the end of next month - forcing them to raid other parts of their budgets.

Bonus funding helped infant schools with fewer than 150 pupils meet David Cameron 's pledge to provide free hot meals for every pupil.

The schools, many of them in rural areas, needed extra cash because their size meant they could not buy bulk food cheaply enough to fit their budgets.

But the grant worth well over 3,000 per school in 2014/15 was scaled back to a flat fee of 2,300 this year - and is now being axed altogether.

Officials said the fund was always meant to be transitional - but Shadow Children's Minister Sharon Hodgson said: "Once again David Cameron’s rhetoric doesn’t match the reality."

"His Government is undermining his own pledge to hard-working parents and their children, who were promised a healthy and nutritious meal at school to help them learn," she continued.''
Kemedian
Independence wouldn't end austerity, Betsy, far from it.
Betsy2009
No but it will be our own poverty not someone else's!
john.mcn
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 10th Feb 2016, 10:26pm) *
If you say so.

I would put it rather that each member has its particular strengths as well as weaknesses, and together we are a more complete union with combined strength that enables us to support each other.

Well Kem Scotland isn't stronger as part of the EU anymore than the wee guy that hangs around with the bully is. If 'we' need to be part of a club to be 'strong' then in reality 'we' are weak and wont have a 'strong' voice in it.

BTW the better together 'Stronger in Europe' video has comments disabled, cant be because they dont want to hear peoples opinion can it.. Ohh and Scotland and the UK are not voting to leave Europe, that is the same psychological crap pulled 2 years ago, it is the EU we are voting on and the 'Britain Stronger In Europe' is an intentional misuse of words to imply something that is not true, we are in Europe and that cannot change without some serious geological activity.
Kemedian
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 10th Feb 2016, 11:12pm) *
No but it will be our own poverty not someone else's!

?

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 10th Feb 2016, 11:29pm) *
We are in Europe and that cannot change without some serious geological activity.

I doubt if even the SNP is prepared to wait that long. wink.gif
wombat
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 11th Feb 2016, 12:29am) *
Well Kem Scotland isn't stronger as part of the EU anymore than the wee guy that hangs around with the bully is. If 'we' need to be part of a club to be 'strong' then in reality 'we' are weak and wont have a 'strong' voice in it

thumbup.gif spot on m8.

hey kem what part of the above don't you understand ?
Kemedian
Hey, Wombat.

If the EU acts in the interests of its members during and after the referendum, whatever the result, then it's only really doing what's expected of it. I don't call it bullying.

Britain is free to leave, our destiny is in our hands.

That's democracy. smile.gif

Mr John.mcn is not alone in singing the praises of Russian policies on immigration and the Syrian civil war, but try persuading THAT big bully of the merits of an independence referendum. Ironically, Putin is probably gunning for Brexit, because it weakens and destabilises Europe.

Click to view attachment
john.mcn

You'll need to expand on that Kem, i have no idea about Russian immigration policies. I wouldn't say singing the praises of their actions in Syria but they are supporting the legitimate government against rebels, who as much as camerons tries to tell us cant be very moderate if they're taking up arms and killing people. I do agree with them attacking their source of income, the oil convoys, ISIS as ideological as they are, have to pay their fighters to stick around or they would be off or even switch sides. If you go after their income, or the ones in other wealthy countries supporting them then their power dwindles. I certainly dont agree with attacking population centres, far too many innocents have died and i dont support that list getting larger.

Off topic anyway

With the chaos in the EU at the moment, the powers around Europe dont want the UK to leave, i would even gamble that they dont want this referendum at all. You see, if the UK votes to leave then there's a good chance other countries citizens will demand plebiscites from their own government, and one by one countries will regain their sovereignty and the EU experiment will collapse. I say experiment but its been done before, we know there has been pan Europe empires in the past but this one was different in that it was bit by bit, treaty by treaty with the people not being involved in the decision. There nothing wrong with what the UK voted to join 40 odd years ago, but the EU is nothing like what we voted to join 40 odd years ago either.
carmella
Ah remember when we entered the Common Market in 1957 how wonderfully different things were, so why the heck did we have to have an EU Community.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Feb 2016, 12:55am) *
Ah remember when we entered the Common Market in 1957 how wonderfully different things were, so why the heck did we have to have an EU Community.

I though the UK joined the Common Market in 1973 Carmella? unsure.gif
carmella
Originally, the European and Economic Community (as it was called at the time) March or May 1957, I was still at school and I remember all the talk - this was in the days of course when we still had
S D long before being forced to decimals.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Feb 2016, 04:51pm) *
Originally, the European and Economic Community (as it was called at the time) March or May 1957, I was still at school and I remember all the talk - this was in the days of course when we still had
S D long before being forced to decimals.

Yes carmella the Treaty of Rome was signed by France, West Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg in March 1957, but the UK never joined until 1973.
Dykejumper
General De Gaulle kept us out for years, pity he didnt live a lot longer.
carmella
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Feb 2016, 06:12pm) *
Yes carmella the Treaty of Rome was signed by France, West Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg in March 1957, but the UK never joined until 1973.

You've got the dates right, I know my history too, that's when we became fully fledged members. I like to get my bit in, and I don't like you not to win an argument Jagz.

I agree with Dyke De Gaul should have lived another 20 years.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Feb 2016, 07:24pm) *
I know my history too, that's when we became fully fledged members. I like to get my bit in, and I don't like you not to win an argument Jagz.

I didn't realise we were arguing carmella, and you don't have to worry about me losing one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.