Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82
john.mcn
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 21st Nov 2016, 12:53am) *
Some good news for Brexiteers, Tony Bliar is apparently keen to get back in the Political
saddle and fight to remain in the EU. He has hired JIm Murphy onto his team,salary undisclosed.

A non profit company, in other words pay your executives an absolute fortune so there is no profit. Plenty of small companies operate as non profit, not through choice and certainly dont have loads of staff.
Tony Blair is doing this because he see's there's money to be made lobbying or consulting.
DannyH
Nigel Kennedy the accomplished violinist was quoted as having said, he was thinking of moving to Berlin to live if the Germans will have him. His reason being that the UK is now a racist state.

If that is his opinion, fine. The only thing that puzzles me is when is he going? Tickets for his performance in London in March 2017 are on sale from 90. Prior to that tickets for three shows during January, in Sydney and Melbourne Australia are on sale from 236. This is a man of principle, isn't he. So I guess when he is not in Berlin he will miss the unrest there being caused by Mrs Merkel's open doors poicy.

He is now 60, but seems to be oblivious that while he has been playing the violin, computer technology has been playing an important part in everyday life throughout the world for many years, including the sale of tickets for his performances.

The reason for my comments above is that he was also quoted as having said, "Computers are a waste of time". A good example of, 'To each his own' He somehow reminds me of that other famous violinist who played while Rome was burning down. Mind you he may get the chance to play in Berlin when the riots start there. I was there behind the Iron Curtain long before he was born.

Danny Harris
john.mcn

People who chuck out the racist,nazi, xenophobe comments are lazy, ignorant and quite often not very intelligent despite some wee Uni degree.

Listen to Labours Ian Austin talk of immigration and the London elite ignoring the publics concerns, then listen to Cat Smith talk of immigrants contributing the most in her constituency completely missing Austins point. She also says we need to start talking about it, no that time was over ten years ago, now its time to act.

If you migrate to a country and are young then obviously you will have cost the state less as you have been cared and educated elsewhere, but in areas where there is job competition then you could deprive someone of a job. Politicians then use this as a stick to beat down immigration scares, they say look 'our' population is lazy, we need these migrants to do all these jobs totally ignoring that these jobs were done before the EU expanded, all that has happened is that increased job competition has kept wages low and some bosses opting to hire those with no family connections here so they can be more flexible.

About 13.25 in
bilbo.s
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politic...-deal-imagined/

Don't worry, chaps! No doubt this piece is the product of a feverish imagination. A stiff upper lip and the brains of our leaders will see us through this quagmire.
john.mcn
What a load of fecking garbage, how can you both have empty shelves and food products not being exported. His other point about UK standards not being recognised, manufactured goods are often tested to the markets with the highest regulations so if you buy a certain product it will have been passed in a country that is not necessarily your own, take for instance small engines, they will have tested against strict Californian laws and it will say so in documentation. He mentions radio equipment from Glasgow, i guess he is referring to Linn products who make top end sound equipment sold worldwide, I'm sure their products far surpass every single legislation Europe wide.
Just another end of the world BS from yet another bremoaner, all it's missing is Zombies.
bilbo.s
Oh michty me, you really are losing what sense you ever had. Empty shelves refers to lack of imports, nothing to do with exports- The clue is in the words -"im" means inward , "ex" means outward.

The rest of your post is, in your graphic style of description, " fecking (sic) garbage".

OK, the guy admits that it is a worst nightmare scenario, but he has a better grasp of the facts than you or what the world laughingly refers to as the Tory Cabinet. You have missed your calling.
wombat
tongue.gif feck tongue.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wombat @ 22nd Nov 2016, 08:52pm) *
tongue.gif feck tongue.gif

DRINK! thumbup.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd Nov 2016, 07:56pm) *
DRINK! thumbup.gif

GIRLS! thumbup.gif
wombat
yes.gif thumbup.gif
john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd Nov 2016, 07:50pm) *
Oh michty me, you really are losing what sense you ever had. Empty shelves refers to lack of imports, nothing to do with exports- The clue is in the words -"im" means inward , "ex" means outward.

I suppose it'd be too much for you to read your own links, he talks of products not being exported
In regards to food it's generally products of Scotland /UK i buy, shops nowadays tend to market that quite a bit. I suppose I'll just have to find some other bread to replace my baguette rolleyes.gif and I'll make do with some local produce seeing as our shelves with loads of it that was destined for export
The rest of your post is, in your graphic style of description, " fecking (sic) garbage".

How is it garbage for a manufacturer to comply with the strictest tests in all the markets it sells to, if the highest is the EU then it will be that, if it's another region then they will make sure the product complies with that. Your author is suggesting that the EU is a whiny little git who takes his ball home just because he doesn't get to be captain and tell everyone what to do.
OK, the guy admits that it is a worst nightmare scenario, but he has a better grasp of the facts than you or what the world laughingly refers to as the Tory Cabinet. You have missed your calling.

Ahh so it is the work of a feverish imagination, you have no idea of facts because you would not pass off this piece as anything other than the workings of a so called expert in democracy when he wants to overturn the democratic will of the people, I take it you have bought his book then?
bilbo.s
Ah, the much misused "democratic will of the people" where two idiots will always outvote one sane person. Do you honestly believe that today more than 50% of the people, or 50% of the electorate, or even 100% of those who voted to leave, are in favour of this insane decision. Of course we know that you attach no importance to the "will of the Scottish people", just as you are at odds now with sensible folk in favour of independence. Strange though that in a representative democracy, most MPs were against Brexit before the referendum, but suddenly have changed their stance, after such an indecisive and ill-advised result. What was supposed to be advisory is now treated as a fait accompli, regardless of any logical thought.

I am confident that the results of both referenda would be reversed if held again.
john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd Nov 2016, 10:42pm) *
Ah, the much misused "democratic will of the people" where two idiots will always outvote one sane person. Do you honestly believe that today more than 50% of the people, or 50% of the electorate, or even 100% of those who voted to leave, are in favour of this insane decision. Of course we know that you attach no importance to the "will of the Scottish people", just as you are at odds now with sensible folk in favour of independence. Strange though that in a representative democracy, most MPs were against Brexit before the referendum, but suddenly have changed their stance, after such an indecisive and ill-advised result. What was supposed to be advisory is now treated as a fait accompli, regardless of any logical thought.

I am confident that the results of both referenda would be reversed if held again.

Dont kid yourself on that those who voted remain are somehow more intelligent than anyone else, there was more BS coming from both sides than spread of farmers fields.
I have no way or knowing how another vote would work out anymore than you, if you think otherwise then i guess i should leave you to your rambling wee bremoaner blogs.
I accepted the 2014 decision by those in Scotland, there is no separate block vote here than there is in Dumfries or the Islands. For the SNP to greet otherwise just gives fuel to those parts in Scotland who would vote NO in a future ref to break away if Scotland voted yes, no doubt you would support their decision.
We voted to be part of the UK so we vote as part of the UK.
The westminster elections are FPTP and do not represent most people, my constituency was one of the highest NO votes in Scotland yet elected an SNP MP, if she represented the majority here then she would go against her own party and slam Wee Nics grandstanding.
The majority of those who voted want to leave the EU, if the MP's want to ignore those who pay their wages then i guess they want another career.

As someone who stays here I think any new indy ref would once again return a NO vote, those questions not suitable answered last time have still not been answered and another ref so soon will just pee off our biggest customer (not the EU though by listening to we nic you would think so)
Dykejumper
No doubt bilbo wil post the chapter where Dunt tells us what Germany does with the 20% of their car production they cant sell to us, and how about the thousands of bottles of wine that France,Italy
and Spain export to the UK, then theres the bacon from Denmark,cheese and flowers from Holland,coal from Poland, and Romania wont be able to send us beggars and buskers.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 23rd Nov 2016, 01:23am) *
No doubt bilbo wil post the chapter where Dunt tells us what Germany does with the 20% of their car production they cant sell to us, and how about the thousands of bottles of wine that France,Italy
and Spain export to the UK, then theres the bacon from Denmark,cheese and flowers from Holland,coal from Poland, and Romania wont be able to send us beggars and buskers.

Sorry but I can't oblige, as I do not have Mr Dunst's book. However I am sure that the countries mentioned have a better contingency plan than your heroes in Westminster, otherwise John's prophesy of empty supermarket shelves will come true - and who wants that?

Nice wee xenophobic sneer at the tail-end. Well done!
bilbo.s
Thoughts on the Autumn Statement from a concerned reader. If this isn't a wake up call then I don't know what is. Undoubtedly the die-hard Brexitards will start whining on and on about how rich people like Branson et al just lurve the EU because it's making them rich blah blah blah. This is just so much hogwash that they parrot because it's been rammed down their throats repeatedly by the likes of Arron Banks who is one of their hated millionaires but who, strangely, wants the UK OUT of the EU. I'm not sure how that fits with Brexitards twisted economic philosophy and I'm not so sure it's something they've turned their tiny minds to at all.

The simple fact is that Brexitards have been and continue to be, manipulated by the likes of Arron Banks and Rothermere, the owner of their beloved Daily Mail. Both these odious individuals share something in common. They are both tax dodgers. Rothermere is a non-dom and Banks' business affairs were revealed in the Panama Papers released earlier this year. The Panama Papers, for those who don't know, detail how the wealthy and the corrupt hide money in off-shore funds to evade tax.

Now Brexitards need to ask themselves this. Why does Banks, who funded UKIP and still funds Farage, want the UK out of the EU so desperately that he's putting millions into it. Not just a few quid, MILLIONS. Do you honestly think he's doing it out of some altruistic love of the UK - hardly, he hides his money offshore to evade tax- or do you think he will gain financially?

Then ask yourselves where you've got all your information from about the EU. Maybe the Daily Mail which is owned by Rothermere the non-dom tax dodger who's been spinning anti-EU lies for years. Or was it something Farage has been spinning perhaps. And who's pulling his strings, the chap who funds him you prime idiots.

It's time you Brexitards woke up to the fact that you're being manipulated by these people and they DO NOT have the best interest of the British people at heart. They're after feathering their own nest.

bilbo.s
Are none of the Leavers going to comment on today's speech by the Chancellor?. Lots of cheer there!
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 23rd Nov 2016, 07:38pm) *
Are none of the Leavers going to comment on today's speech by the Chancellor?. Lots of cheer there!

Shhhhh, they're all sleeping. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Nov 2016, 09:01pm) *
Shhhhh, they're all sleeping. laugh.gif

Time they woke up!
DannyH
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 23rd Nov 2016, 10:32pm) *
Time they woke up!

Actually we woke up long ago. Long before the UK referendum. It is you that is still asleep you arrogant waste of space.

Bilbo about six people contribute to this farce of a topic. For God's sake waken up. All your ranting isn't going to change anything. You keep referring to Daily Mail readers. Can't remember the last time I read any of the tabloids you keep insisting that people who don't agree with you read.

I have had enough of trying to have a meaningful discussion with you. If you had been taking part in a live debate face to face with other people you would have been evicted months ago.
Being a coward you wouldn't call other people uneducated, stupid, if you were in the same room.

Cheerio.

Danny Harris
Kemedian
Never have I seen so much hysteria written about a Political event that hasn't happened yet, and which no-one can really predict.

I voted Remain and regret the result, but I accept it. The SNP had the chance to take Scotland out of the UK before Brexit, but couldn't convince enough of us. Some Remainers seem to want Brexit to fail badly for dubious reasons. Of course, for obvious reasons the SNP most definitely does not want it to succeed, which I think explains the vehemence of its (at times hypocritical) opposition.

I am sympathetic to the anti-Brussells movement, which I think motivated very many Leavers, and so I am happy to wait and see and prefer to listen to Politicians who are ready and able to talk-up our chances of a successful Brexit rather than prophesy only doom and gloom. The proof will be in the pudding, and it may be that a future UK Government will have to eat a large slice of humble pie, however I hope instead for sensible Politics from both Parliaments and a positive set of outcomes from next year's negotiations. After all, neither Parliament wanted a separation (which surely bodes well smile.gif) and Democracy must be respected.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 23rd Nov 2016, 11:32pm) *
I am happy to wait and see and prefer to listen to Politicians who are ready and able to talk-up our chances of a successful Brexit rather than prophesy only doom and gloom.

Ok kem, while we're waiting why don't you give us your "chances of a successful Brexit" then?
john.mcn
I am quite amazed that those who claim to be independence supporters dont quite get that all the market jitters and currency falls we are facing with Brexit will also happen if Scotland votes to leave the UK. They seem to think and portray that no such financial woes would befall Scotland and everything would be hunky dory with International firms rushing to invest in this 'new' fledgling country.
It is quite funny, and also a bit sad that they sit there smugly laughing that news that the UK will be financially hurt totally oblivious that it also affects Scotland or hoping that the worse it gets the better a chance for Scottish indy.
Kemedian
Scot Indy supporters argue that the country would be free to hold its own 'Scexit' after it leaves the UK.

I believe that if the EU forces a hard Brexit upon the UK then Scotland's electorate will actually be less inclined to vote Yes.
bilbo.s
http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/articles/t..._1_4789695?=kok

Of course I recognise that the views of some of our learned members will demolish Professor Grayling's arguments in their usual, devastatingly logical style. rolleyes.gif
Dykejumper
No need to demolish his arguments, he had one vote the same as everybody else, he was on the losing side.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 24th Nov 2016, 08:32am) *
I am quite amazed that those who claim to be independence supporters dont quite get that all the market jitters and currency falls we are facing with Brexit will also happen if Scotland votes to leave the UK. They seem to think and portray that no such financial woes would befall Scotland and everything would be hunky dory with International firms rushing to invest in this 'new' fledgling country.
It is quite funny, and also a bit sad that they sit there smugly laughing that news that the UK will be financially hurt totally oblivious that it also affects Scotland or hoping that the worse it gets the better a chance for Scottish indy.

You seem to have been walking around in a constant state of amazement recently, and no independence supporter are claiming "everything would be hunky dory", stop making things up....Look, a squirrel.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 24th Nov 2016, 12:15pm) *
No need to demolish his arguments, he had one vote the same as everybody else, he was on the losing side.

I was right!
sad.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 24th Nov 2016, 01:48pm) *
You seem to have been walking around in a constant state of amazement recently, and no independence supporter are claiming "everything would be hunky dory", stop making things up....Look, a squirrel.

"Amazed John" does not realise that independence supporters, of which he was once one if memory does not fail me, do not feel any joy at the sad state of the UK economy, as we are well aware that it affects all UK citizens whether at home or abroad. We are simply pointing out the results of UK government policy, without taking any pleasure thereof. Personally, I doubt very much that an independent Scotland could be worse-off than the current shambles presided over by a bunch of clowns, who are now intent on increasing the astronomical UK debt, of which Scotland will pay a proportionate share.
bilbo.s
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/federico-m...b_13136440.html

Another excellent blog from the Huffington Post.
Dykejumper
Looks like Business for Scotland thought everything would be' Hunky Dory'

'There is overwhelming evidence that Scotland will be economically better off as an independent country. Even opponents of independence have conceded that Scotland can be a successful independent country. Their own negative economic forecast estimated that Scots would be just 1 worse off a year.

In contrast every single Government Expenditure and Revenue report for the last 30 years – compiled with official statistics – finds that Scotland generated more tax per head than the UK.

If voters are convinced that Scotland will do better economically a majority support independence. Yet astonishingly around 34% of the electorate currently believe that Scotland would fare worse economically as an independent country; while 37% believe Scotland is incapable of independence. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this. Not a single economic expert supports such a doom laden proposition.

This demonstrates that truthful economic information like the facts contained in this article will change the result of the independence referendum.

With the knowledge that Scotland will benefit economically from independence, business and citizens will move towards voting Yes as it is the only way to ensure progress for themselves, their businesses and their communities.

Scotland will one day vote for independence because the positive economic case for independence is unanswerable.'
bilbo.s
Excellent quotation from DJ. Shame it's on the wrong thread!
Dykejumper
bilbo, it was a follow up post to 2377.
p.s. Business for Scotland are rabid SNP supporters so take anything they say with a pinch of salt.
john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 23rd Nov 2016, 06:55am) *
However I am sure that the countries mentioned have a better contingency plan than your heroes in Westminster, otherwise John's prophesy of empty supermarket shelves will come true - and who wants that?

You need your own links, it was your piece from Ian Dunt who spoke of empty shelves, I was calling it garbage.
john.mcn
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 24th Nov 2016, 08:43am) *
Scot Indy supporters argue that the country would be free to hold its own 'Scexit' after it leaves the UK.

I believe that if the EU forces a hard Brexit upon the UK then Scotland's electorate will actually be less inclined to vote Yes.

I long ago gave up any hope of a referendum on EU membership from the SNP, during the 2014 ref those of us who believe in real independence were told indy first then we take on the EU but that will never happen in an independent Scotland so why should we throw away this once chance to be rid of the bureaucrats.

john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 24th Nov 2016, 10:32am) *
http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/articles/t..._1_4789695?=kok

Of course I recognise that the views of some of our learned members will demolish Professor Grayling's arguments in their usual, devastatingly logical style. rolleyes.gif

Are you aware that AC Grayling is a supporter of the UK and was against Scotland being independent, so in your own words he is an idiot! laugh.gif

Anyway, the first 2 paragraphs is all anyone needs to know
On 23 June, the country voted to leave the European Union and it is the duty of the Government to make sure we do so. The Government’s position is clear that invoking Article 50 is a prerogative power and one that can be exercised by the Government. Parliament legislated for the Referendum, which it did by large majorities in both Houses, and with cross-party support.

Although the Act itself does not include provisions that make the result of the referendum legally binding, the Government made repeated and clear statements that the outcome of the referendum would be acted upon. Indeed, the manifesto on which the Conservative Party was elected in 2015 stated “we will honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome.” The arrangements for the referendum were also supported by Parliament.

john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 24th Nov 2016, 02:10pm) *
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/federico-m...b_13136440.html

Another excellent blog from the Huffington Post.

When someone says that a clear majority in a simply question referendum is not a mandate and then has the cheek to talk of democracy, well lets just hope him and his kind move to somewhere where his views are accepted, Saudi Arabia, North Korea and China spring to mind.
john.mcn
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 24th Nov 2016, 12:48pm) *

Amazed at the sheer hypocrisy of some when I'm sitting on my erse reading the old internet, I walk around with my full senses and am aware of my surroundings, the only times i am waking around in amazement is seeing how man with the aid of basic tools built some fantastic buildings yet we have some proclaiming empty shelves just because people frigging voted rolleyes.gif.

If everything wont be hunky dory then why do you and others peddle Gers figures when they're good, then rubbish them when they're not. Why do you and others claim Scotland not only pays more than it takes but that its also funding infrastructure developments down south. Look at DJ's link, Scots will be financially better off, utter garbage, none of these milk n honey sites ever take into account that earnings are because we are part of the UK, ohh they, and you, talk of the misery of governments we didn't vote for and how Scotlands held back ruled by Westminster but they never accept nor admit that those earnings could very easily go down once we traded with the rUK as an independent country. People may not buy our produce, companies may face higher costs when operating across borders and thats not even talking about those who could move, it's happening with Brexit so some say so there's no reason it wont happen here.

I see you're using the squirrel jibe again, you do realise its from pixars UP and its a reflection on the one saying it (a dog) and not me dont you?

Ohh and has anyone wondered that as Scotlands biggest customer is the rUK and that most produce heading to the EU goes through England, what will happen if theres a hard brexit and Scotland becomes independent.
bilbo.s
I am wondering if perhaps john.mcnutcase is English. He seems to have all the attributes such as arrogance and stupidity. He would be in better company in the readers' comments of the English press, such as the Scotsman and the Herald. None so fanatical as a convert!
john.mcn

I see old Senor senior is back to his old twaddle , gotta love a keyboard warrior though because without them we just couldn't see just how lucky the rest of us are.
Nice to see you stereotype a countries people though, your true self has certainly come though this year.

Dont knock the Herald, some here (not me) post on the readers comments laugh.gif
john.mcn

It seems that anyone who previously voted SNP, and/or YES who then didn't then obey the diktat from Wee Nic is a convert or turncoat. It is quite funny for those here to read those comments from someone who hokey cokey emigrated to tell all of us who voted Brexit that we're wrong, stupid, idiots, posts links that calls us Brexitards(tard is short for retard) because it's losing him money.. To disagree with the SNP current drive over a cliff is bad, to do that and vote for Bilbos wallet to go on a diet, well you see the abuse that we get. It's lucky those on the receiving end aren't as delicate as himself otherwise we like him might cry into our beers.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 24th Nov 2016, 07:29pm) *
Amazed at the sheer hypocrisy of some when I'm sitting on my erse reading the old internet, I walk around with my full senses and am aware of my surroundings, the only times i am waking around in amazement is seeing how man with the aid of basic tools built some fantastic buildings yet we have some proclaiming empty shelves just because people frigging voted rolleyes.gif.

If everything wont be hunky dory then why do you and others peddle Gers figures when they're good, then rubbish them when they're not. Why do you and others claim Scotland not only pays more than it takes but that its also funding infrastructure developments down south. Look at DJ's link, Scots will be financially better off, utter garbage, none of these milk n honey sites ever take into account that earnings are because we are part of the UK, ohh they, and you, talk of the misery of governments we didn't vote for and how Scotlands held back ruled by Westminster but they never accept nor admit that those earnings could very easily go down once we traded with the rUK as an independent country. People may not buy our produce, companies may face higher costs when operating across borders and thats not even talking about those who could move, it's happening with Brexit so some say so there's no reason it wont happen here.

I see you're using the squirrel jibe again, you do realise its from pixars UP and its a reflection on the one saying it (a dog) and not me dont you?

Ohh and has anyone wondered that as Scotlands biggest customer is the rUK and that most produce heading to the EU goes through England, what will happen if theres a hard brexit and Scotland becomes independent.

You could have saved a lot of time by just saying "in May we trust".
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 25th Nov 2016, 10:38am) *

John confuses loquaciousness with eloquence.
john.mcn
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 25th Nov 2016, 09:38am) *

Just because your posts offer nothing more than 'In Sturgeon we trust' does not mean the rest of us restrict our thoughts and views to your level.
john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 25th Nov 2016, 10:18am) *
John confuses loquaciousness with eloquence.

I write as i write, i dont bother myself with how it looks to pretentious auld nuggets on t'internet. You on the other hand confuse debate with link posting and abuse.
john.mcn

cool.gif

EU leaders will block Sturgeon’s 'impossible' demands for a special Scottish Brexit

Spain would block any attempt by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to keep her country in the European Single Market if the rest of the UK leaves, according to a leading Spanish MEP.

Esteban Gonzalez Pons leads the Spanish delegation of MEPs in the European Parliament's largest political grouping, the European People's Party. He told the Telegraph that Sturgeon's single market demands were "impossible."

Scotland voted to remain in the EU by a margin of 62% to 38%. Sturgeon, who leads the ruling Scottish National Party (SNP), believes this gives her the mandate to push for a 'soft' Brexit and keep the country in the single market, a free-trade agreement between countries within the European bloc.

But Pons said that cutting a special deal for Scotland, where Sturgeon is also pushing for a second referendum on independence, could encourage the growing separatist movements in areas of Spain like Catalonia and the Basque country.

He said that the Spanish government will therefore be the UK's "best friend" during Brexit negotiations, and said it shares "the same point of view about the Scottish question" as Downing Street — where Prime Minister Theresa May has comprehensively ruled out any special deal for Scotland.

Pons said: "It’s impossible. Scotland, while it is part of the United Kingdom, has to be the same as the UK. If Spain agrees a special deal for Scotland after Brexit, Spain has to negotiate a special position for Gibraltar [a British territory which borders Spain] and we accept that Gibraltar could be part of the single market."

"We’re not going to accept Scotland in the single market without the rest of the UK," he added.

While the MEP was not speaking on behalf of the Spanish government, he gave the interview after having spoken to Spain's foreign affairs minister, and said his comments echoed the view of the ruling People's Party.

Academics have also warned Sturgeon that striking a separate deal for Scotland is not realistic. Professor Michael Keating, politics professor at the University of Aberdeen, warned in September that such a move would create a "hard border" between Scotland and England, a major economic barrier to free goods and movement.

Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson said: "People deserve the reality, not nationalist spin: and the fact is that European nations like Spain are making it clear that they cannot entertain the SNP's proposals. As Mr Pons says, they are 'impossible'."

A spokesman for the Scottish government said: "Brexit is by far the biggest threat to Scotland’s jobs, prosperity and economy, and that is why we have always been clear that remaining in Europe – and as members of the world’s largest single market – is the best option for our future.

"The people of Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU – and we are exploring all options to protect Scotland’s national interests," he said.

He added: "We will set out proposals in the next few weeks that will keep Scotland in the single market even if the rest of the UK leaves."
Dykejumper
Looking forward to those proposals if of course they ever appear.
john.mcn
A hard Brexit/ non FTA does not hurt just the UK despite what people say

Exports to UK at risk of 30% drop without trade deal

Ireland’s exports to the UK could drop by more than 30 per cent, creating major economic disruption, if the UK leaves the EU without agreeing a special trade deal, according to new research from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI). The institute identifies the risk of a major fall in trade between Britain and other EU countries in some sectors, including areas of the food industry, which would be a particular threat to Ireland. Overall, it says, total Irish exports could drop by more than 4 per cent, representing an annual loss of €4.5 billion in cash terms.
The research is based on what might happen after the UK leaves the EU, but before any new trade deal is done between the two sides. It is the first to examine the possible impact, sector by sector.
In this scenario, ESRI researchers Martina Lawless and Edgar Morgenroth, in a new working paper, assume tariff rules set down by the World Trade Organisation would be applied on trade between the the UK and other EU countries.

This would mean that tariffs – special taxes on imports – would apply on goods traded between the UK and the EU. On the basis of arrangements currently in place between the EU and non-EU countries, these would vary hugely, but could run to 50 per cent or more in some sectors, particularly in areas of the food sector and clothing.
As this would push up prices to consumers, trade could be hit hard in some areas as products become unaffordable. In some cases, companies could adjust their products to lower the impact
Ireland is particularly exposed, because of our high level of trade with the UK and because much of it is in agricultural products to which high tariff levels apply. Almost 14 per cent of total Irish exports go to the UK and this trade would be cut by almost one third. The research also estimates that there would be a 28 per cent drop in UK imports into the Republic, many of which would increase sharply in price.
Overall, the study shows the huge disruption to trade which would result, unless the UK and the EU can strike some kind of interim trade deal after Britain leaves the EU and before a full agreement is hammered out, which could take years. It is possible that they will agree a less harmful deal which would apply after the UK leaves. However, the researchers also warn that if Britain leaves the customs union, then even greater complications and barriers to trade could apply.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wombat @ 29th Nov 2016, 08:56pm) *

thumbup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.