Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ' Leisure ' - Hobbies,
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rab
I assume that 'Leisure' must include hobbies, pastimes etc for those who are not obsessed with sport, so I am opening a topic for those of this disposition.
I took up model-making some 6-7 years ago, mainly radio-controlled ships - well, what else from a Clydeside boy? I found that many people are fascinated with my models and I wondered what other members of the board do for a hobby.
I imagine that there are many on this site who quietly gain satisfaction, as I do, from an interest away from work and not involved with sport so come on you bee-keepers, anglers, climbers, pub-quizzers etc - lets hear from you - don't be shy!
I hope that this will encourage others to pass on their interests for the enjoyment of the rest of us.
For example - here is one I made earlier!! This is a representation of a turn of the century Glasgow paddle tug, many of which bustled away on the river, towing and pushing large ships into berths on the upper reaches in Glasgow.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JAGZ1876
Love it Rab, she's a lovely Vessel. thumbup.gif
Dave Grieve
beautiful model Rab, must have given you a lot of satisfaction building it
Billy Boil
I make sailing ships at present working on the "Scottish Maid" circa 1835; was said to be the first "clipper ship" built in Aberdeen.
wellfield
Love the 'Tugboat'....
wellfield
Click to view attachment
wellfield
May be a wee bit out of line with the topic,but some guy just built this 20 foot long scale model from a solid piece of wood,it was delivered to the "Queen Mary" this week all the way from New York,it's now on display for a year.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wellfield @ 6th Feb 2015, 01:45am) *
some guy just built this 20 foot long scale model from a solid piece of wood,it was delivered to the "Queen Mary" this week all the way from New York,it's now on display for a year.

It looks good Wellfield, do you have a photo showing the full model?
bilbo.s
Wellfield, are you sure this guy didn't pinch it from the old Transport Museum in the Kelvin Hall ?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 6th Feb 2015, 12:21pm) *
Wellfield, are you sure this guy didn't pinch it from the old Transport Museum in the Kelvin Hall ?

I was thinking along the same lines Bill, that's why i'd like to see the full model.
wellfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th Feb 2015, 03:16am) *
It looks good Wellfield, do you have a photo showing the full model?

I'll look for one or go down to the ship and take a pic.
wellfield
Click to view attachment
wellfield
Click to view attachment
wellfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th Feb 2015, 06:37am) *
I was thinking along the same lines Bill, that's why i'd like to see the full model.

Ha' Ha'...no'...it was built by an individual in New York and just recently transported to Long Beach (Queen Mary) on loan for a year....
zascot
When I first saw the photo with no caption (post 6) I thought it was you boasting Wellfield. I thought gee he`s good at his hobby thumbup.gif
Rab
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 5th Feb 2015, 10:08am) *
I make sailing ships at present working on the "Scottish Maid" circa 1835; was said to be the first "clipper ship" built in Aberdeen.

That's a lovely ship Billy and credit to you for building it. A very challenging build. I took on a project 2 years ago to rebuild a wrecked model of the 'ESMERALDA', the Chilean Navy training ship which is the only square rigger I have attempted but it was worth it as she was a lovely sight on the watter when I had finished her.
Rigging was very demanding as she had 19 sails !!.

Click photo as enlargement much better view.

Click to view attachment
zascot
Beautiful model Rab. I envy your talent.
Rab
No talent zascot - just practice! Superglue is a wonderful invention too!

ESMERALDA at night ......

Click to view attachment
Billy Boil
QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Feb 2015, 04:34pm) *
That's a lovely ship Billy and credit to you for building it. A very challenging build. I took on a project 2 years ago to rebuild a wrecked model of the 'ESMERALDA', the Chilean Navy training ship which is the only square rigger I have attempted but it was worth it as she was a lovely sight on the watter when I had finished her.

Click to view attachment

I was once a member of a club that sailed models; none as grand as this though. I can never put one of my wooden vessels near water. I get nervous just moving them at home. I have not been doing anything for a while now due to construction in the house and the fact that it is a very wet and humid summer here and it makes it impossible to handle the masts and riggings.

I got started on this thanks to the collection in the "Art Galleries" where my father who was a sailor took me regularly to see the ship models . A lot of my time is and was spent on military figures, mainly Hussars and Samurai.

Keep up the great work on those sails, when we go on from this place people will still gain pleasure from looking at them.
Billy Boil
QUOTE (zascot @ 6th Feb 2015, 04:55pm) *
Beautiful model Rab. I envy your talent.

Dear Z.S. It is refreshing to see that there are those out there who appreciate effort and talent such as displayed by Rab. All too often when displaying my models I am damned by the faint praise "I wouldn't have
the patience to do that" Patience is as the Samurai had it, is another word for genius. My models are to exceptional standards and I have seen models that make me feel very inadequate. These serve to make me strive for that illusive perfection that can never be attained but must be striven for. Again thank you for appreciating a hobby that has been around from the time of the Pharaohs.
Billy Boil
QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Feb 2015, 06:28pm) *
No talent zascot - just practice! Superglue is a wonderful invention too!

ESMERALDA at night ......

Click to view attachment

Recognized it as I saw the original in Melbourne during the tall ships
visit for the bi-centennial in 1988.
Rab
10 days, 351 views - only one other ship modeller! Is that all the interest from 11,000 members? - come on and tell us what you do for a hobby - or is this another waste of time? rolleyes.gif I might just send this round the Clyde to wake ye's all up!

[Click to view attachment
Glasgow Guest
QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Feb 2015, 07:22pm) *
10 days, 351 views - only one other ship modeller! Is that all the interest from 11,000 members? - come on and tell us what you do for a hobby - or is this another waste of time? rolleyes.gif I might just send this round the Clyde to wake ye's all up!

[Click to view attachment

Where does it say that sharing Rab's interests is compulsory? I grew out of model-making when I was eleven!
TeeHeeHee
Hi Rab, now into my 6th year of retirement I'm still wondering which Hobby I should dedicate my free time to: If I ever get free time that is.
My intented Hobby was Stargazing, mainly because I'm a night-owl anyway, but several things stood in my way there. First and foremost was that Mary's Family were not too happy with me erecting my observatory on the terrace above my bedroom. I'd laid out the floor plan on the Keller floor and had already built the eight segments, (like cake slices, making it easier to carry and assemble) using 25mm box-section steel. I had 100mm box-section aluminium supports to raise the observatory 1m50 from the terrace Level. Access would be gained from an extending ladder from my garden.
The Problem was that Mary's Family were frightened that this would extend an open invite to every hurglar within a hundred miles: My assurence that the ladder would be permanently moved by remote control and locked in a Position out of reach of the tallest burglar and; for added security, be under constant electric current flow when not in nightly use, laugh.gif did not do anything to reassure Mary's mum who lives in the flat above us and who's terrace, or a small Corner of which, I'd be using to Position my observatory.
During the following years where the discussion nearly went my way and it looked like I might have final Agreement on the go-ahead I learned that a Problem with my left eye which I'd been told was remedial turned out to be not so. It was concluded that I suffered AMD.
Since my right eye was no use for telescopic-star-gazing due to damage incurred after an accident where a sheared rivet head left me with double Vision over Long-distance viewing in that eye, it became obvious even to me that my star-gazing nights would in future be better conducted in the comfort of my Computer room ... and a damn sight warmer anyway tongue.gif
Oil painting was next on the Hobby list ... but I've so many "unfinished" works due to the fact that oil takes so Long to dry that I get fed-up waiting to get on with the next stage.
This was my first attempt with oil. The subjects were our two cats which we had adopted from a shelter about 14 years ago. The joke was that These two wouldn't have shared the same room together never mind being found in such a pose. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

A Detail of the above featuring our Big Maus ...
Click to view attachment

This one, in Acrylic colours, was for a friend who's German Shepherd "Lady" had passed away ...
Click to view attachment

... and a 3D gravestone for my mate Detlef who's dearly loved cat "Tequila" went to that Great-Hunting-Ground-In-The-Sky
Click to view attachment

This used to be a "Tanner's Tree" in our garden but rather than completely removing it I thought I could make use of it ... The carving tool was a butcher's cleaver laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
The remains of the Tanner's Tree.

Click to view attachment

The thing is Rab, that none of the above could be classed as part of any Hobby (other than the observatory) since the art pieces were really only a case of doing favours for friends; including the cats for Mary.

So, I'm still considering what I might adopt as a Hobby when I do eventually get some free time for myself.
If I could afford a really good camera I'd probably opt for photography. tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Mary also thinks it would be a good idea if I could get around to finishing the Portrait of Charlie and the Big Maus tongue.gif
DannyH
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 15th Feb 2015, 05:04pm) *
Mary also thinks it would be a good idea if I could get around to finishing the Portrait of Charlie and the Big Maus :P

Hello TeeHeeHee

I have been reading your posts in other topics as well as this one. You have had a very interesting life, and you are talented. You have survived some serious injuries, but have retained your sense of humour. I think you should write your life story - dare I say it, before it is too late!

Best regards

Danny Harris

P.S. for Rab. You are very talented too. I gave up building models when I was 14. I built one of those kit model aeroplanes, made of balsam wood with elastic to power the propeller. I lived in a tenement top floor. After completing the job, I told all of my pals to go down to the back court and spread out in order to retrieve the aeroplane. I wound up the elastic, released the 'plane out of the window. It turned upside down, then nose dived in a spin and crashed to the ground.
ashfield
Danny, in the early 60s a small group of us were hooked on building airfix kits. One guy was the top dog in model making, his name was Danny McGonigal and he later joined the airforce in America. He also made the balsa aeroplanes then covered the frame in a kind of tissue paper. The paper was painted with a "size" which tightened and sealed up the paper. He was showing me the process and took his plane over to the coal fire to speed up the drying process. He obviously forgot how flammable the size was and pretty soon he was trying to stuff a foot long burning plane into the fire ohmy.gif

Danny was a bit embarrassed but that soon changed when his father came into the living room and, as I made a hasty retreat, started skelping him tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Ash, my 10 year older brother and his mate used to spend hours building those Balsa Wood aircraft and then set them into the air after they'd deliberately put a light to the tail-planes. rolleyes.gif
He also build model ships like the "Santa Maria", or the "Santa Crux" I think, and such but when finished he donated them to the Childrens Ward in Hairmyers Hospital in East Kilbride.

DannyH, thanks for the compliment. wink.gif
Funnily enough it was only last week that I thought I'd better start writing now because of the recent realisation that if my right eye starts to deteriorate any more I'll have left it too late to write at all since the left eye has this AMD affliction already.
When I met Mary 25 years ago I was in the process of writing but Mary couldn't understand that I couldn't just stop at the drop of a ladel when she'd got the evening meal ready or when she needed me to attend to some household chore or other unsure.gif so at the end I just gave it up as a bad idea for a while and Gathering Moss became another "unfinished work" ... much to the chagrin of my German mate Michael who had been translating it at the time and using some of it during his studies (English & Germanic) at Basel Uni.
I guess that what I'll have to do is dedicate one particular day a week to it ... or burn the midnight oil on it.
Cheers,
Tomi.
serabash
one of my hobbies right now is teaching myself with books how to draw.
serabash
serabash
DannyH
Very impressive drawings serabash. Are you sure you are just a beginner? Well done!

Regards

Danny
serabash
thanks danny, aye I have always doodled but nothing more than eyes and faces then last year after I lost my husband I thought I would buy some teach yourself to draw books and this is the result, I know I still have a lot to learn but I am quite chuffed with what I have managed so far.
Melody
Well done Serabash, your drawings are brilliant. I'm like you, I've always doodled and now that I'm retired my family are always on at me to take it up again. You've put me in the notion. laugh.gif Mind you the auld eyes are not so good as they once were. Keep it up, I think you've done brilliantly well. smile.gif
serabash
thanks melody I would send you the books if you like. just pm me , they have helped me loads.x
Melody
Aw that is so kind of you Serabash however I have absolutely no excuse not to start again as I've got materials and books ( in the bottom of the wardrobe.) blush.gif blush.gif I was in The Art Store in Queen Street yesterday just having a wee potter around. Well done you though. confidence is the thing as always. smile.gif
serabash
look forward to seeing your efforts melody , get the pencils out. x
Rab
Thanks for making the thread more interesting folks, really good subjects showing off personal talent worth sharing.
Your hobby doesn't need to be a successful one, just interesting.
I have a friend who collects sheets of toilet paper wherever he goes and posts them in an album like photies!! He is a world traveller and although this a sounds daft collecting habit, he makes fun comments on the quality of the item, good or bad, it makes for fun and an interesting read. I particularly remember one sheet from a hotel somewhere in Russia which looked and felt like sandpaper!
I used to collect sugar packet labels and finished up with nearly 2000 before I gave then to a really serious collector who had over 5,000, from the Concorde (highest flying commercial aircraft) to a hotel on the Dead Sea, the lowest point on the Earth surface. There is actually a society for these collectors!
Any other collectors out there? Competition nuts? Fetishists? ohmy.gif (OK that was tongue in cheek!). Gardening freaks? Lets see your melons! Anything else.

My ancestors came to Lewis in one like this ... only a wee bit bigger!
Click to view attachment
Heather
My favourite pastime is Knitting especially children's Aran Sweater's as they are so quick and easy to knit. I use up the left over wool to knit children's glove's and mitts.

I hand them in to our Parish Christmas Fete as they get sold off quite cheap and I was told many mother's are glad to buy them to keep their children warm in Winter.

Other then knitting and using the Laptop I read a lot, but I don't like the two books I got out the LIbrary last week, so I have dug out some of my Maeve Binchy books as I love all her books.
The one I am re-reading is Scarlet Feather.
wellfield
QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Feb 2015, 08:34am) *

Click to view attachment
Beautiful model!....I saw the real McCoy a few years ago when she came to Long Beach,CA.
wellfield
Lot's of talent showing up on the thread!....I saw 'serabash's' drawings before,she's a talented Lass also!
TeeHeeHee
Serabash, way to go kid tongue.gif Well done wink.gif

Rab, I wonder if your friend has among his collection a sample of a toilet roll which is on the market here and is called "Happy End" biggrin.gif
I'm not so happy with it myself as it is of the finger-through-the-paper quality. rolleyes.gif
serabash
thanks folks.x thumbup.gif
Rab
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 18th Feb 2015, 01:52pm) *
Serabash, way to go kid Well done

Rab, I wonder if your friend has among his collection a sample of a toilet roll which is on the market here and is called "Happy End" biggrin.gif
I'm not so happy with it myself as it is of the finger-through-the-paper quality.

He may well have Tomi! he was a member of the Diplomatic Service and moved around all the High Commissions in the Commonwealth and some Embassies collecting their bog-paper samples unbeknownst to them laugh.gif
He even categorised different airlines and one page in his album was blank to represent the flight where they ran out!!! laugh.gif
To entertain the children in our local park, I am building a speedboat which will carry Mr Toad, Mole, Badger and Ratty and will be called 'Messing About' as in the book. My intended crew found their way into my workshop last week and were eager to try out the boat before it is even finished.
I caught the wee rascals playing hide & seek!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rab
QUOTE (wellfield @ 17th Feb 2015, 09:36pm) *
Beautiful model!....I saw the real McCoy a few years ago when she came to Long Beach,CA.

Hi Campbell, I saw her too in Portsmouth Naval Base on a Tall Ship Day in 2001. She was open to the public and I got the tour onboard. Truly a magnificent vessel and polished to perfection.
She had a black past though as she was used as a prison for political offenders under General Pinochet and many were tortured to death on board her. To this day she is banned from many ports until certain people are tried for war crimes. Despite this, she is a beautiful example of the type and is now officially the largest sailing vessel in the world. yes.gif
Here she is entering Pearl Harbour.

Click to view attachment
wellfield
Interesting!...Thanks Rab!
zascot
Well done all of you. My hobby is photography and I probably spend to much time on it. especially wildlife. My wife always finds something for me to do with repairs etc around the house, I am trying to get her just to tell me what she wants done once and not nag on and on every 6 months about it. tongue.gif Rab I travel a lot and could send your friend some toilet paper from my various destinations, does he like new or used? biggrin.gif
ashfield
Yes, my obsession
ashfield
Yes, my obsession is photography as well biggrin.gif I played football and indoor 5-a-sides until I was 62 but a dodgy knee put paid to that and my other pasttime, hill walking.

I got hooked on photography following a pincer movement between my older cousin who was dead keen, and a teacher at my school (see the St Augustines thread) who taught me how to make a print in the darkroom when I was about 14. I got my first 35mm camera the next year and the rest is history. Although the obsessional bit is a kinda joke, there were times when I was probably a tad over enthusiastic rolleyes.gif It's well under control now though.............no, really laugh.gif

(for those technically minded, you will see my skills at dodging and burning in my last post tongue.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.