Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Union Flag
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
mairead
Now westmister suggests we should all have the union flag on our car number plates.
serabash
we cannot allow this to happen . sign the online petition to stop it. .so far there has been 10.000 signed it.
petunia
Why? why? why? now, what purpose will serve
wombat
QUOTE (petunia @ 7th Jan 2015, 07:25pm) *
Why? why? why? now, what purpose will serve

rolleyes.gif give evewyone a sense of bwitishness ? laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Nae borra tae me ! tongue.gif
serabash
they are trying to rid us of our identity. we cannot allow this to happen. angry.gif
wombat
QUOTE (serabash @ 7th Jan 2015, 06:45pm) *
they are trying to rid us of our identity. we cannot allow this to happen. angry.gif

rolleyes.gif they are using their old trick of MARGINALISATION . yes.gif

Doug1
Stupid and absurd idea. Just when we get shot of having to stick tax discs on our windscreens they now want a flag on our number plates. Prepare for the PC brigade to start playing the race card!!
serabash
it is racist they are saying we don't matter AGAIN. just wipe scotland of the map we are northern britain as far as westminster is concerned. well we are not we are a country called scotland with our own flag .
lubbock
I"m all for it.... What's the problem the overwhelming victory last Sept showed that Scots are and will remain British ....proud to have voted NO.....
serabash
haufwit.
Betsy2009
I take it that as this is a new thought it would only appear on new cars over the next few years so if you hang onto your old car you should be OK.
serabash
or if ye need to renew your licence betsy.
lubbock
"Sticks & Stones"ect,ect,...ISN..and so did Scotland....
serabash
we need to put saltire stickers over the top of the union flags.
angel
the provinces here in Canada have their own licence plates as they do the States , this can be quite interesting when on a long driving trip .

I would think that changing the licence plates would cost the tax payer a lot of money .
john.mcn
QUOTE (lubbock @ 7th Jan 2015, 10:09pm) *
I"m all for it.... What's the problem the overwhelming victory last Sept showed that Scots are and will remain British ....proud to have voted NO.....

Great Britain is an Island, the British isles are a group of islands, no one could ever say you weren't 'British' though i have always said i'm Scottish, which i will continue to do. Funny thing with all this 'togetherness' i have never been called British by an Englishman.

I like to think that 'pride' should be reserved for achieving things, sticking an 'x' in a box is not much of an achievement as i've been doing that for decades playing noughts and crosses but whatever rocks your boat.

As for the topic, any link to the Union flag on everything to make us feel more Bwittish? Pretty sure you could have any flag on your plate for a number of years now..
Alex Saville
No butchers apron on my car plates!
Only the Saltire!
Never been british and never will be!
Alex
lubbock
I take it you have a British passport......you seem very small minded ..try and get out and about a bit more ..it'll do you good...
serabash
you stay british flying your flag lubbock and we will stay scottish and proud.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (serabash @ 8th Jan 2015, 12:35am) *

Not the way to go serabash all they will do is pass a law saying to interfere with a licence plate is a criminal offence.

What we do here is each province has its own symbol on the licence plate showing where the vehicle is from, why not the Saltire for Scotland, st Georges cross for England, the Red Dragon for Wales and whatever the people of NI decide for themselves.
serabash
yes that would make sense dave but we are talking about westminster who just want to keep scots in their place. time for a revolution.
petunia
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 8th Jan 2015, 06:14am) *
Not the way to go serabash all they will do is pass a law saying to interfere with a licence plate is a criminal offence.

What we do here is each province has its own symbol on the licence plate showing where the vehicle is from, why not the Saltire for Scotland, st Georges cross for England, the Red Dragon for Wales and whatever the people of NI decide for themselves.

If they are going to do anything that's the way to go each COUNTRY has its own part of the union jack on their plate as Angel said in Canada each Province has its own plates so you know where the car is registered.
As for that Lub it would not matter what the subject was on these boards he will always go against
the majority just to be an ejit as Sarabash said that's what makes his day.
serabash
petunia, your right it's hard to make an eejit see sense but trolls are worse. yes.gif
Heather
Click to view attachment

If you are so proud of being Scottish do as I do. I have a Saltire flying at the side of my house, it has been there for years.

One of the local taxi driver's has two Saltire's on the top of the car roof.
serabash
I am proud of being scottish and I do fly a saltire and saltire bunting.

serabash
QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Jan 2015, 07:12pm) *
Click to view attachment

If you are so proud of being Scottish do as I do. I have a Saltire flying at the side of my house, it has been there for years.

may I as why you doubt I am proud to be scottish?
DannyH
QUOTE (angel @ 7th Jan 2015, 10:40pm) *
the provinces here in Canada have their own licence plates as they do the States , this can be quite interesting when on a long driving trip .

I would think that changing the licence plates would cost the tax payer a lot of money .

Hello Angel

Just to change the subject, I am interested to know, do Canadians still change their licence plates every year? I remember when I was an evacuee that's what they did then.

I clearly remember going into neighbours' garages and the walls would be lined with old licence plates. I have had my car for 15 years and I still have the same number plate. That is because we had to display a tax disc on our windscreen. Now we don't because our cars' details are held on a computer.

Another thing I remember was that I had to have a licence plate for my bicycle. Do Canadians still do that?

Regards

Danny Harris
angel
QUOTE (DannyH @ 8th Jan 2015, 11:40pm) *
Hello Angel

Just to change the subject, I am interested to know, do Canadians still change their licence plates every year? I remember when I was an evacuee that's what they did then.

I clearly remember going into neighbours' garages and the walls would be lined with old licence plates. I have had my car for 15 years and I still have the same number plate. That is because we had to display a tax disc on our windscreen. Now we don't because our cars' details are held on a computer.

Another thing I remember was that I had to have a licence plate for my bicycle. Do Canadians still do that?

Regards

Danny Harris

Danny , since the 70s, Canadian's keep their original plates and renew them by buying new stickers for either one or two years on their birthdate , then you stick them on the upper right hand corner of the plate .... You don't need a licence plate for a peddle bike , well I never did ! rolleyes.gif but if that bike is motorized I think you do , also , I think it has something to do with the size of those bikes , smile.gif
serabash
QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Jan 2015, 07:12pm) *
Click to view attachment

I have posted a photo of my saltire and asked why you doubt my pride i being scottish. still waiting on a reply heather.
mairead
That's just the start of things to come. Just wait and see what the no vote has really done. They will now begin to introduce more and more sleekit laws to try to take away our Scottishness, but they won't succeed. I'm Scottish born and bred and will die Scottish, never British
serabash
me too and no one should doubt it. hear me heather.
serabash
still no reply heather.
DannyH
QUOTE (angel @ 9th Jan 2015, 01:22am) *
Danny , since the 70s, Canadian's keep their original plates and renew them by buying new stickers for either one or two years on their birthdate , then you stick them on the upper right hand corner of the plate .... You don't need a licence plate for a peddle bike , well I never did ! :rolleyes: but if that bike is motorized I think you do , also , I think it has something to do with the size of those bikes , :)

Hello again Angel

Thank you for your prompt reply, and for updating me on what happens in Canada now regarding car licences.

In the 1940's you definitely had to have a licence plate for a bicycle. I will never forget that, because I nearly lost my left foot because of my licence plate.

I was cycling downhill on Highway No.8, on the outskirts of Hamilton, at that time. I decided to take my feet of the pedals and freewheel at some speed. Going downhill, I heard a metallic sound. I looked back and downwards and saw my licence plate had come loose and was rattling against the spokes of the rear wheel. At that point I was crossing on a bridge over a creek. The bridge had metal railings.

After crossing the bridge I began my ascent uphill. There was only one problem. I had no left peddle!
It became obvious that the pedal had struck the railings and the screw holding the pedal on, had sheared. I just stopped and looked at my left foot for a long time before I got over the shock.

Thanks again for your reply

Regards

Danny Harris
Elma
Danny, each Province in Canada has it's own licence plate, in British Columbia it is purchased through ICBC (Insurance Company of British Columbia) for one year, due each year on the anniversary of the purchase date of the vehicle. We are given a sticker with the date and month of the date it is next due and a different colour of the sticker each year. This is placed on the plate in the middle lower edge. Our licence plate in BC bears the slogan "Beautiful British Columbia,"
DannyH
Hello Elma

Thank you also for replying to my post.

Regards

Danny
petunia
Danny H
I live on the east coast of Canada and we had five different licence plates
on our vehicles until 2013 when it was decided by the Provincial Government
to get rid of all the old plates and have one as it would be easier for the
police to identify a vehicle as everyone would be driving with the same plate across the province, we get our sticker every year on our birthday and it goes
on the bottom right hand corner of the plate, our inspection sticker is on the bottom left hand corner of the windshield and the inspection is done every year on the anniversary of the purchase of the car it cost $30 my licence was $101 $10 of which goes to conservation as I got a plate with an animal
on it, you could get an animal, bird, flower or fish no $10 if you didn't.
TeeHeeHee
Seabash said:-

The whole Thing is silly since it's already covered on this site (Italics etc. are mine)...

GOV.UK

Search

Home
Driving and transport
Number plates and vehicle registration

Displaying number plates

1.Overview

2.Rules for number plates

3.Getting number plates made up

4. Flags, symbols and identifiers

4. Flags, symbols and identifiers

Flags and national identifying letters

You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:
##Union Flag
##Cross of St George
##Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
##Red Dragon of Wales

The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:
##GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
##UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
##CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
##ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
##SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
##WALES or Wales

You’ll still need a GB sticker when travelling in Europe if you display one of these national flags and identifiers.

The flag must be above the identifier. You can’t have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.

Euro symbol

If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you won’t need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

The Euro symbol must:
##be a minimum height of 98mm
##have a width between 40 and 50mm
##have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top
##show the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow

Just Cameron trying to Show his mettle rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Quite so, Tomi. The recent news item referred to driving licences, not registration plates. wacko.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 16th Jan 2015, 01:17pm) *
Just Cameron trying to Show his mettle rolleyes.gif

That would be of the Brass variety, in the bit of his body between his head and shoulders tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.