Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebola
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
lubbock
I think the latest steps by the government is too late and futile.what about ferry ports,channel tunnel trains.illegals migrants ..better to double or triple resources in affected countries ..it seems Ebola is treatable by good fluid and dietary intake,education,and hygiene precautions this can only be achieved with the help Of the WHO and countries within the Eu.
Betsy2009
Possibly easier to stop people leaving the infected countries in the first place.
angel

As you may have heard , the Ebola patient in Texas has died
and I read that a woman in Spain is also an Ebola victim and that they have had her dog put down in fear of infection , she did not get this virus from Africa , as I understand .
Also here in the USA and Canada we have what is called " entrovirus "
it has infected many children and is causing paralysis , I also understand that testing is being done to see if there is any connection with this virus
and Polio . Also another victim here in Canada with Ebola ,
she of course has been hospitalized . This Ebola seems to be travelling more than anyone had thought .
*Petunia*
I understand that Ebola cannot be transmitted to humans by dogs very easily if at all according to an interview on tv this morning as the guy said I don't know anyone who would "French kiss" their dog.

Angel I have not heard of any confirmed cases of ebola in Canada where is the woman hospitalized you were talking about I haven't seen anything in the paper or television.

I was working in a nursing home during the Sars outbreak and believe me that was no tea party so I hope they are getting better prepared to deal with this ebola than they were with Sars as they have more info and notice of this infectious disease coming as people travel all over the world.
angel
QUOTE (*Petunia* @ 9th Oct 2014, 09:56pm) *
I understand that Ebola cannot be transmitted to humans by dogs very easily if at all according to an interview on tv this morning as the guy said I don't know anyone who would "French kiss" their dog.

Angel I have not heard of any confirmed cases of ebola in Canada where is the woman hospitalized you were talking about I haven't seen anything in the paper or television.

I was working in a nursing home during the Sars outbreak and believe me that was no tea party so I hope they are getting better prepared to deal with this ebola than they were with Sars as they have more info and notice of this infectious disease coming as people travel all over the world.

Petuna , Just this afternoon I did hear on CTV that this Ebola virus is transmitted from
some type of African bat to humans and when the human is infected the virus goes haywire ,
and therfore it is most likely that animals can transfer this virus if they too are infected.
So why take the chance .

Also Petuna I too have not heard any more about that women , this news I originally heard
on our local news program a few days ago , but hopefully it has or will be only symptoms
and that she is fine , and hopefully asprin will fix her , thank God .

I thought that you may find this article interesting .

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/ebola-and-canada-...virus-1.2038313

Betsy2009
There's a case in Australia so it's certainly getting around.
*Petunia*
Angel this man was on CanadaAM the other morning and writes articles in this magazine which I thought would maybe be of interest to you, I hope it comes through ok as I have never tried to put a link on here before

www.psychologytoday.com/.../can-dogs-get-infected-the-ebola-virus Cached
Ebola infection has been found, in ... It has been shown that people who consume bush meat can become infected. Humans ... Now to answer the question "Can ...
angel

Petunia I was unable to open your link
but here is another , maybe you can try again . smile.gif

http://theconversation.com/we-still-dont-k...ead-ebola-32799
carmella
The nurse in Spain was looking after two priests who were missionaries repatriated from West Africa, so that's the link - she was part of a team of 30 staff looking after the men, and thinks herself she was infected when she was changing out of her protective clothing.

It's a terrible disease and let's hope it doesn't reach here. I think that countries where this disease is rife at the moment, should have closed borders, no-one in, and no-one out - that's the only way to confine it until it passes, as harsh as that seems, other countries must be protected.

I also think we should not be sending anyone else into these areas to help, but instead I think we should be dropping far better equipment, and safer protective clothing to those already in situ, and we should do it from the air - it's been done before.

Let's face it, none of us and none of the possibly infected can know who they've come in contact with - and in the confines of an aircraft where the air is recirculated all the time - heck, it's no wonder people get viruses in the usual run of things, but this is not a virus of course, but if someone develops flu like symptoms on board a flight say, which they didn't have whilst still on the ground, there's no telling how safe the person is sitting in the same aisle!!
wellfield
Company in the States advertising for medical personnel for Africa.....$10,000 a month.....
Dave Grieve
Surprised they are not being shipped down here to Joburg, we are normally the first port of call for medical emergencies in Africa, when I was in having a hip replacement about five years ago they had someone with Haemorrhagic Fever in the same hospital at the same time but never publicised it.

We had a case of Ebola a few years ago but it was soon cured and the patient allowed home, but there cant be any more here as our Gov said nobody in SA has the disease and they would never lie to us would they? laugh.gif
tamhickey
I'm rather cynical about this. The WHO have advised about the demise of the western world with SARS and Bird flu which, though tragic to the families involved, counted for relatively few people. another source of foreign fear to make us all more fearful of the unknown, allowing governments to do whatever possible to combat it....rather like going to war.
Betsy2009
Unfortunate name for a new car:

What’s the Renault EOLAB prototype like to drive?

Unremarkable, which is actually the biggest compliment you can pay the EOLAB prototype. Sure, it’s a bit rough around the edges in places, and refinement for a production application needs to be addressed, but given this car is just a means of testing the tech, Taupin and his team’s approach has been validated by the results.
Betsy2009
Nice!
Will this stop volunteers? I know I'd think about it again.

British doctors, nurses and soldiers sent to fight the Ebola outbreak in West Africa will not automatically be brought back to the UK for treatment if they are infected with the virus.

A total of 750 British troops are being sent to Sierra Leone to tackle the Ebola outbreak, along with hundreds of NHS volunteers who responded to an appeal from the Chief Medical Officer, Prof Dame Sally Davies.

However, both the Department of Health and the Ministry of Defence admitted yesterday that medical and military personnel would not be guaranteed repatriation if they developed Ebola while working on the relief effort.

Instead, they could be treated in field hospitals in Sierra Leone and would only be flown home on a "case by case" basis, the departments said.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/briti...bola/ar-BB8BsUt
Mathieson
In my opinion, the WHO missed the boat on this one.

The time for getting right into the heart of the matter, complete with UN security, was when the outbreak first came about.
It should have been a no-nonsense approach, isolating and treating all infected with the best of provisions while keeping all centres locked-down securely.
Then we wouldn't have had the scenes of people dragging their relatives back out of the clinics, and those same clinics then being looted and destroyed.
ktv
busting the most common myths about ebola

http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/15978/10-Myt...-Know-Are-False
angel

Comming up with all these myths regarding Ebola is
like sticking your head in the sand and hoping
this epidemic will just disappear .
It has been around since the 70s , but since that time
the world has become a smuch smaller place , and is now
known as a global village , people are travelling
all over this planet
just like they took a bus to work years ago and as a result of these movements , epidemics are extremely difficult to contain in any given
country.
I for one will not ignore this epidemic but I will certainly hope
for positive results .

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/12...he-will-survive

carmella
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 11th Oct 2014, 01:16pm) *
In my opinion, the WHO missed the boat on this one.

The time for getting right into the heart of the matter, complete with UN security, was when the outbreak first came about.
It should have been a no-nonsense approach, isolating and treating all infected with the best of provisions while keeping all centres locked-down securely.
Then we wouldn't have had the scenes of people dragging their relatives back out of the clinics, and those same clinics then being looted and destroyed.

Hindsight is a marvellous thing, but I do tend to agree Mathieson, that the WHO should have stepped in much sooner, or at the very least, organized better protection for those already taking care of Ebola sufferers - in this day of increased world travel, any disease can quite easily cross borders. It's actually quite frightening I think.
Mathieson
QUOTE (carmella @ 11th Oct 2014, 09:28pm) *
Hindsight is a marvellous thing, but I do tend to agree Mathieson, that the WHO should have stepped in much sooner, or at the very least, organized better protection for those already taking care of Ebola sufferers - in this day of increased world travel, any disease can quite easily cross borders. It's actually quite frightening I think.

I don't want it to sound like I am arguing with you here as I recognise we seem to be in broad agreement.
But with respect to "hindsight" : hindsight shouldn't come into it.
They do, after all, style themselves the World Health Organisation.
If this isn't a world issue then I don't know what is and they - more than anybody - should have recognised this way before hindsight could be an issue and recognised that the people locally were in no condition to deal with such a problem.
carmella
Absolutely, we are talking about a 3rd world country who rely on outside help at the best of times, therefore the WHO should have been able to foresee where tbis would lead, and I have always maintained the where with all should have been in place weeks ago.

It seems to me that the WHO have only been voicing concern because the virus has spread from Sierra Leone, initially to the USA and so on.

They should have acted decisively long before this.
angel
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 11th Oct 2014, 09:24pm) *
I don't want it to sound like I am arguing with you here as I recognise we seem to be in broad agreement.
But with respect to "hindsight" : hindsight shouldn't come into it.
They do, after all, style themselves the World Health Organisation.
If this isn't a world issue then I don't know what is and they - more than anybody - should have recognised this way before hindsight could be an issue and recognised that the people locally were in no condition to deal with such a problem.

Mathieson , I do agree that the WHO . is to blame for this Ebola crisis .

The WHOs gets it's funding from countries like the UK , The USA , Canada
and others but a lot of those monies were cut back as I understand to use for their own domestic reasons . and of course they did not realize that Ebola would turn out to be an
epidemic .
Mistakes, human error's and lies everywhere . Countries covering up
for their own blunders as usual ..... Also the WHO is'nt really an organisation it's
more of a secretariat that does what it is told by it's donor countries .
Well that's my spiel on the , World Health Organisation / secretariat . smile.gif cheers .

Mathieson
QUOTE (angel @ 12th Oct 2014, 12:54am) *
Mathieson , I do agree that the WHO . is to blame for this Ebola crisis .

The WHOs gets it's funding from countries like the UK , The USA , Canada
and others but a lot of those monies were cut back as I understand to use for their own domestic reasons . and of course they did not realize that Ebola would turn out to be an
epidemic .
Mistakes, human error's and lies everywhere . Countries covering up
for their own blunders as usual ..... Also the WHO is'nt really an organisation it's
more of a secretariat that does what it is told by it's donor countries .
Well that's my spiel on the , World Health Organisation / secretariat . smile.gif cheers .

Most, if not all, of the monies spent "guarding" our own borders would be better spent helping the people in the heart of it, and protecting their fellow citizens from becoming infected.
petunia
Just now watching a news conference from Dallas where they have diagnosed a new case of Ebola in a nurse who had been in contact with the man that died from it, this is the first case of Ebola that has been contracted inside the US (may not be the last), decontaminating the persons apartment and for blocks around, just said there is a pet inside the apartment, decontaminated the car then they are telling people not to panic.
As for protecting our own borders that is not a very practical solution as there are millions of people travel every day as the world is a very small place now with planes flying everywhere, maybe what they should do it stop anymore flight coming out of countries like Liberia so try and contain the virus in one part of the world.
angel
I also heard yesterday that screening the passengers at our
own airports won't work , it has to be done at point of departure
in order to be successful but the problem there are those 21 day's
incubation period .. Just can't win .
Betsy2009
Has anyone heard of any hospitals in Scotland getting ready for possible cases? We've got airports too you know - and ferries and trains and everything!

"As healthcare staff carried out the eight-hour exercise, the Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, chaired a mock meeting of the Government’s emergency committee, Cobra. He said the exercise had left him “doubly assured” of the country’s ability to cope with Ebola cases. “We have robust plans in place in the event that we get an Ebola case in the UK,” he added. “We will evaluate what went well and what we need to improve. This exercise is just one small part of our ongoing contingency plans for Ebola.”

Exercises took part in several parts of England, giving an insight into how NHS organisations would identify and treat suspected Ebola patients. A Department of Health spokesperson said that health officials from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland “observed” the exercise. Responsibility for public health is devolved and the healthcare systems in each nation would be responsible for their Ebola response."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ebola...e-uk/ar-BB8N3Cc
Dave Grieve
We have no special plans in place for this outbreak as fairly frequently infected patients are brought to Joburg for treatment for this and other highly contagious diseases like Marburg, Congo and Legionnaires disease. As I said earlier I was in hospital at the same time as a Zimbabwean patient who died of the disease and nobody was told about it until about a month later when the newspapers picked it up, we have had Ebola break out locally in the past and it was contained very fast.

Don't worry people the chance of an outbreak wherever you are, are very small, this is not some doomsday Hollywood virus that kills at a single look, your living conditions and ability to take care of your personal hygiene are in the main of a much higher standard than in those infected areas, this disease and others like it in medieval times have spread so fast because of the poor living conditions the unfortunate inhabitants have to endure.
Mathieson
Well, here's hoping.
ktv
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 12th Oct 2014, 02:28pm) *
Has anyone heard of any hospitals in Scotland getting ready for possible cases? We've got airports too you know - and ferries and trains and everything!

I don't think we have any direct flight to the affected regions so maybe that why there hasn't been much about it in Scotland

I could be wrong though as I haven't checked flight routes but id imagine its more a London route to such places.
carmella
Betsy the fact that we do or do not have any direct flights to or from the affected areas, is neither here nor there, because of course, all those flights to and from affected countries will be via Heathrow terminals, such terminals also transit passengers to and from Scotland, so we are just as vulnerable to this as anyone else.

What I did hear today on our news was that no Scottish hospitals are being prepared for such an incident, as it is thought anyone who is suspected of having, even the early stages of Ebola will be taken to one of the London Hospitals for isolation as helicopters will be made ready for such transfers from anywhere north of London, perhaps a helicopter relay type system even.
Dylan
I understand Holyrood have made no provision whatsoever for a case of Ebola ?
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (carmella @ 13th Oct 2014, 07:42pm) *
all those flights to and from affected countries will be via Heathrow terminals

I think you are not taking into consideration Air France and KLM who operate flights from those countries and then feeder flights from Amsterdam and Paris directly into Scottish airports.

petunia
QUOTE (carmella @ 13th Oct 2014, 06:42pm) *
Betsy the fact that we do or do not have any direct flights to or from the affected areas, is neither here nor there, because of course, all those flights to and from affected countries will be via Heathrow terminals, such terminals also transit passengers to and from Scotland, so we are just as vulnerable to this as anyone else.

What I did hear today on our news was that no Scottish hospitals are being prepared for such an incident, as it is thought anyone who is suspected of having, even the early stages of Ebola will be taken to one of the London Hospitals for isolation as helicopters will be made ready for such transfers from anywhere north of London, perhaps a helicopter relay type system even.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous that Scottish hospitals admin could be so stupid as to not be ready for
someone with a potential deadly disease coming off a flight or any other means of transport to protect
its citizens depending on it staying in England how on earth they come up with this theory boggles the mind.
angel
QUOTE (petunia @ 14th Oct 2014, 12:58pm) *
I've never heard anything so ridiculous that Scottish hospitals admin could be so stupid as to not be ready for
someone with a potential deadly disease coming off a flight or any other means of transport to protect
its citizens depending on it staying in England how on earth they come up with this theory boggles the mind.

I agree Petuna , but I suppose that they can always blame
Westminster should there be a problem . sad.gif
ktv
a quick glance at the scots gov website shows they have made provisions and plans to deal with any suspected cases.
Dylan
Details or link please !.

No Holyrood statement.

Still no provision ?
petunia
QUOTE (angel @ 14th Oct 2014, 03:14pm) *
I agree Petuna , but I suppose that they can always blame
Westminster should there be a problem . sad.gif

I think Westminster should take part of the blame as Scotland is not an independent country of the UK
neither is N. Ireland or Wales so Westminster should be responsible for the United Kingdom as it is the
seat of Government for the Kingdom as a whole as this disease is indiscriminate so whatever precautions are
taken in London should be taken throughout the country as I hope they would be anywhere
angel

Hi Petunia , I do understand where you are coming from
but Scotland has been responsible for it's own healthcare
system for some years now .
So Scotland is either part of the UK or not / " All or nothing "
Not just when it suits them .

Actually Petunia , I do consider this Ebola plague more important
at this time than any breakup of the UK or the other wars going on
in Syria or Iraq , whatever ! smile.gif so meanwhile I will stick with the
Ebola crisis . cheers .

carmella
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 14th Oct 2014, 01:19pm) *
I think you are not taking into consideration Air France and KLM who operate flights from those countries and then feeder flights from Amsterdam and Paris directly into Scottish airports.

Good point!
zascot
WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE USING THE CHANNEL TUNNEL?
angel

Second health care worker has tested positive with Ebola in Dallas .
petunia
CNN reporting this morning that a second nurse who worked with the patient from West Africa that died in Dallas has been confirmed diagnosed with Ebola this morning and another 79 people are still monitoring themselves at home as in Texas that is what happens where they are in contact with their families and other people, this lady lived alone with no pets so they went to her complex and sprayed and told people at 7am Texas time.
I think what they should have done would be to either have kept the health care workers that treated the man that died in isolation at the hospital for the 21 day period or sent them straight home with no person to person communication. I worked during the Sars epidemic and was in gloves gowns and masks all shift then had to get into my car and go straight home with no contact with anyone, I had to call my SIL to bring me some groceries and leave them at my door, the public were not allowed into the facility either
carmella
Ferry crossings Calais to Dover etc. Yep where does it end.

Dylan
If an Ebola victim was discovered at Glasgow Airport, what is the protocol ?.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Dylan @ 15th Oct 2014, 04:16pm) *

I think that's the least of your worries, of far greater concern would be someone who made it all the way home and spent a week or more socializing with their friends and family before any symptoms emerged
angel

I googled for that information Dylan I could not find anything
but it did mention Heathrow and that seems to have been when
passengers who asked about it , were told it was not compulsory.

Anyway this is what is going on in Canadian airports , its about a week ago , so don't know if there has been any changes .... Pat

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ebola-screen...ities-1.2793412
Dylan
Thanks Pat.

Would victim at Glasgow have to be transported to England for isolation ?

Worrying ?.
angel

I think Dylan , that countries should take lessons from the mistakes that have been made so far in dealing with this disease ,
the fact is that for America this has been nothing short of trial and error ,
although , I think they are now changing there tactics in the best way to control this epidemic , they have been in the forefront and I would hope
that others will take note and learn .
The health workers are now up in arms , the protective gear does not protect nor are they being taught enough on how to deal with Ebola .
or for that matter , the correct way to wear the protective gear they are given, So now I believe ..... The centre for disease control will be setting up a new "Rapid response team ' that should hopefully make a big difference .
Also , that Dallas hospital was not really ready to deal with what has happened ..... so maybe the hospitals in Scotland should take head
and have their own isolation unit with trained staff ..... cheers , Pat

I would think that better than being transported to England .

Dylan
I agree Pat.

Wish Holyrood did !
john.mcn
QUOTE (Dylan @ 15th Oct 2014, 02:16pm) *

Phone Smeato!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.