Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2014
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Dimairt
The opening match takes place next Thursday and I've got my World Cup chart ready. I'm looking forward to a footie-fest with lots of close-ups of female Brazilian fans; gratuitous mentions of 1966 and all that; anybody who plays two good games in a row being "linked with a move to the Premiership"; the Italians being "prima-donnas"; the Germans' play being described as "Teutonic efficiency"; any African side being "tactically naive" and , of course, the "Group of Death."

Who are you going to support: Brazil, Spain, England or one of the wee diddy teams?

Who do you think will win?

How long into the opening game will it take the commentator to mention England and 1966?

Look forward to your comments.

Durachdan,

Eddy

ashfield
I'm finding it hard to work up any enthusiasm for the event and (unusually) not particularly looking forward to the wall to wall TV coverage. A programme with highlights would be enough for me. As it is, I will pick and choose which games I watch.

As for the overall winner, I think the competition is likely to favour South American countries like Argentina and Uruguay. Spain and Germany could beat Brazil but I think the home team might do it again rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Naturally I 'll be supporting Spain, but I don't think they are up to pulling it off twice in a row.
JAGZ1876
I have to agree with Ash, this is the least excited i have ever been for a World cup, i have only just read that the opening ceremony is this coming Thursday, i normally would have had the date it kick's off memorised months before, eagerly counting down the day's until it starts.

All i know about the build up is the protests and riots that have been going on in the cities hosting the games, even yesterday their was clashes between striking railway workers and riot police.

But hopefully all the news will be on the park, i'm not really bothered who wins but i think if not the hosts (i haven't seen enough of them to form an opinion) then Argentina or Germany although no European country has ever won the trophy in the six previous South American World cups, Brasil, Uruguay and Argentina all winning twice (sorry, i'm a football anorak) my tip as a dark horse would be Chile, even though they are in Spain and Holland's group.

Hang on, i'm getting a bit excited now............Roll on Thursday. laugh.gif

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Jun 2014, 09:32am) *
Naturally I 'll be supporting Spain, but I don't think they are up to pulling it off twice in a row.

I can't remember the last time i managed that............ ohmy.gif
Dimairt
I now have three World Cup wall-charts: Daily Mail and Herald yesterday; Observer, easily the best, today.

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 01:51pm) *
I now have three World Cup wall-charts: Daily Mail and Herald yesterday; Observer, easily the best, today.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Jeez Eddy, and i thought i was an anorak. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
A Turkish FB friend yesterday wished Scotland well in the World Cup. Don't know if he was being sarky, or just wishing to appear unbiased with his tourist clentele.
Dimairt
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Jun 2014, 02:43pm) *
Jeez Eddy, and i thought i was an anorak. laugh.gif

You are; so am I. Have you filled in your predictions for the first round of games yet? Oh joy!

Durachdan,

Eddy

JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 06:31pm) *
You are; so am I. Have you filled in your predictions for the first round of games yet? Oh joy!

Durachdan,

Eddy

No i haven't Eddy, but as a bit of fun we could have a prediction competition (just for fun of course, unless Martin wanted to put up a bottle of malt for the winner) on the days of the matches and do a running total league table eg 5pts for correct score, 3pts correct winner, 1pt for correct goals scored.

It could bring the YES & NO voters together as a break from referendum hostilities.

What do we think?

Jupiter
Ive managed a modest each way on Germany but really its hit and hope as far as Im concerned.
ktv
I usually watch most of it but agree with those above that said this one is the least exciting yet.

I don't know if its the build up that's been poor but im just no bothered at all so far.....maybe when it pick up n ive seen a couple of good games the excitement will come flooding back.

don't really care who wins it but I like to see the wee teams doing well.

look out for japan
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ktv @ 8th Jun 2014, 07:41pm) *
don't really care who wins it but I like to see the wee teams doing well.

Like England laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Click to view attachment
dugald_old
Durachdan, I'm not a great football fan but I do like to watch the World Cup. Who am I going to support? It adds something of course to one's entertainment if one watches the games with a wild or unconscious support for some team or other. I would have supported Scotland as I always have whenever they made it into the championship, but in their absence I'll cheer for the other British team, England, and hope they win. Failing England, my support would switch to Germany, and should they lose out I'd probably stop watching the games until the final.

Who do I think will win? If I were betting, I'd bet on Spain. How long into the opening game will it take before the commentator mentions England and 1966? I doubt it will even be mentioned in our National News which will be covering the games. Even if it is mentioned, it wouldn't bother me one iota... I celebrated England's win in 1966, and I'd happily do so again. Let me say that if Scotland ever won the World Cup I'd never stop talking about it. I think there is some of "the lady doth protest too much..." about those who make fun of the English tendency to recall their world cup victory.
ktv
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Jun 2014, 07:46pm) *
Like England laugh.gif

ive heard theres a rumour going round that they won it before.

youd think some one would mention it now n then if they did wacko.gif

laugh.gif
Dimairt
QUOTE (dugald @ 8th Jun 2014, 08:22pm) *
Durachdan, I'm not a great football fan but I do like to watch the World Cup. Who am I going to support? It adds something of course to one's entertainment if one watches the games with a wild or unconscious support for some team or other. I would have supported Scotland as I always have whenever they made it into the championship, but in their absence I'll cheer for the other British team, England, and hope they win. Failing England, my support would switch to Germany, and should they lose out I'd probably stop watching the games until the final.

Who do I think will win? If I were betting, I'd bet on Spain. How long into the opening game will it take before the commentator mentions England and 1966? I doubt it will even be mentioned in our National News which will be covering the games. Even if it is mentioned, it wouldn't bother me one iota... I celebrated England's win in 1966, and I'd happily do so again. Let me say that if Scotland ever won the World Cup I'd never stop talking about it. I think there is some of "the lady doth protest too much..." about those who make fun of the English tendency to recall their world cup victory.

You're right Dugald: I mean Cel'ic fans rarely, if ever, mention winning the European Cup almost fifty years ago and as a Partick Thistle man myself, we're practically sworn to secrecy about winning the League Cup in whenever it was.
I'm just hoping for a good tournament,:lots of goals, a few surprises along the way and lots of close-ups of attractive, young female Brazilian fans. Is that too much to ask?

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 10:39pm) *
I'm just hoping for a good tournament,:lots of goals, a few surprises along the way and lots of close-ups of attractive, young female Brazilian fans. Is that too much to ask?

Durachdan,

Eddy

You haven't said who you think will win yet Eddy and who you think the dark horse will be?

Two posts from you that mention "attractive, young female Brazilian fans".........Are you (like me) at that funny age? laugh.gif
Dimairt
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Jun 2014, 05:54pm) *
You haven't said who you think will win yet Eddy and who you think the dark horse will be?

Two posts from you that mention "attractive, young female Brazilian fans".........Are you (like me) at that funny age? laugh.gif

Spain to win it, England as the 'dark horse' even if it's just that they're due a good World Cup and of course, you can "never write off the Germans."
As to the young women, well, while I am at that 'funny age,' it has been a long-standing joke in our house that the cameramen tend to linger on the crowd somewhat more when Brazil are playing.

Durachdan,

Eddy
bilbo.s
When it comes to young Latin-American girls, I have always been at a funny age ! wub.gif
Dave Grieve
There are a few stories here about the unrest in Brazil around the cost of the world cup and one I was reading on Sunday where the reporter asked the question wondering if the Brazilian treasury was plundered to the same extent as the SA one was, they, FIFA come in bearing this wonderful gift called the world cup and then make all sorts of extortionate demands on the host country all the while making sure at least 99 percent of the profits end up back at FIFA headquarters.
If Brazil are anything like us they will have built stadiums that will be nothing more than white elephants after the cup is finished.
We built or revamped ten stadiums with the cost in the billions of dollars, of the ten only one, the one in Joburg makes a profit today, the others dont even cover their daily running costs.

Blatter will not make any appearance unless he is introduced as MR PRESIDENT and will not get out of the car unless it is to walk on a red carpet.

Back on topic, Who cares who wins the cup all I know is that the Brazillian people have lost.
bilbo.s
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/emergency-plans-...-wins-world-cup

Better safe than sorry, I suppose ! laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Jun 2014, 06:25pm) *

We can send them down the electricity we save when we turn our telly's off. laugh.gif
ashfield
BBC breakfast sports news managed to get '66 into the script this morning, how many more to go rolleyes.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Jun 2014, 10:38am) *
BBC breakfast sports news managed to get '66 into the script this morning, how many more to go rolleyes.gif

Why dont you try and keep a rough tally Ash? or would it be suicide time come the end of the tournament laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Jun 2014, 09:38am) *

I would guess it will be more than 66. laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 11th Jun 2014, 10:15am) *
Why dont you try and keep a rough tally Ash? or would it be suicide time come the end of the tournament laugh.gif

Cannae afford the calculator batteries tongue.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Jun 2014, 01:35pm) *
I would guess it will be more than 66. laugh.gif

Aye.............per day rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Time to get the Spanish flag from the top of the wardrobe. Hasn't been used for 2 years now.
mitchell
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jun 2014, 02:32pm) *
Time to get the Spanish flag from the top of the wardrobe. Hasn't been used for 2 years now.

Do you not mean Spanish fly? wink.gif

Really got bad vibes about this world cup, regarding a disaster.
Hopefully things will be okay.
I fancy Holland to do well this time.
bilbo.s
Too old to be bothered with that stuff !

I hope Holland have cleaned up their act, from being the dirtiest side in 2010 World Cup.
ashfield
I had a wee look at the groups and, just for a bit of fun, picked out the two teams in each group I think will qualify for the next stage. As much as I wish England well (no, really rolleyes.gif ), I can't see beyond Uruguay and Italy topping their group.
DavidT
Back to 2010 to see the Germans getting just a bit happy.
http://movingpostcard.com/world-cup-2010-germany-vs-england/

P.S. I hope England do well in Brazil.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (DavidT @ 12th Jun 2014, 07:25pm) *
P.S. I hope England do well in Brazil.

As do i David.

My Two sons are eligible to play for England.

C' Mon Roy's Boys. thumbup.gif
ashfield
Since Brazil played Scotland in a friendly, I rated Naymar as a petulant young man with no manners and, despite his soccer skills, no class. I have had to revise my opinion, to add dirty cheat to his attributes. He would do well from watching some videos of Messi.

On the football front, last nights game was fairly typical of an opening encounter. The penalty was a complete joke though. As for Brazil, can I change my prediction laugh.gif
mitchell
Yep you can sure change your prediction on this opener!
There was more action outside the stadium than inside.
As for the opening of it, what a load of bullshit!
Done nothing to please the poor of that country, South Africa comes to mind of those games.
Scotsman
Bored with it already!! rolleyes.gif

It just seems like the big business of the thing has now drowned out the game.... everything is just about money nowadays and the poor people who are rioting wont be seeing any of that money thats for sure.

Brazil are cheats.... but whats new there??
ktv
I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about a sporting event where a government have spent millions funding it yet it's people live in squalor and deprivation. Where drugs are rife and life expectancy is low. But thats enough about the Commonwealth Games. the world cup has just started!

laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Many a true word spoken in jest ! thumbup.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ktv @ 13th Jun 2014, 11:19am) *
I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about a sporting event where a government have spent millions funding it yet it's people live in squalor and deprivation. Where drugs are rife and life expectancy is low. But thats enough about the Commonwealth Games. the world cup has just started!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
ktv
a picture says a thousand.......

JAGZ1876
Wow.............Who would have thought the Dutch would put five past Spain.

Fantastic game. thumbup.gif

Looking forward to watching the Chile V Australia Game.
angel

spent the afternoon watching the soccer ,with my Dutch friends
and a great time was had by all , "what a thrashing Spain took" . thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

wellfield
QUOTE (ktv @ 13th Jun 2014, 03:19am) *

laugh.gif
You 'aint seen nothing yet!..wait for next World cup in Qatar!!....200 Billion is being spent......by the way. the C.N.N. reporter counted 250 protesters,don't get me wrong,I see their point
wellfield
Some facts on the next World Cup in Qatar....the country has a population of approx. 2 billion,highest income per capita in the world......temperatures during the games could reach 110 to 120 degrees (F)...there are one and a half million Indians/Nepalese/Sri-Lankans etc etc construction workers (ants) of which they have shipped 800 of their dead bodies (with no compensation) so far to their home countries,they predict 4,000 construction deaths before its completed....glad to say their has been some arrests so far into the bribery charges in the world cup committee,Franz Beckenbaur being amongst the first...don't know who's the biggest crooks..The Mafia,the Olympic Games people or The world cup bunch!......Let's Play Ball!!!!!
mitchell
The Dutch well and truly sunk the Spanish Armada!
Biggest defeat (would you believe it) since Scotland gubbed them 6-2.
Surprised Jagz that Australia has managed to score a goal.
Will be interesting to see the second half.
Yes I enjoyed seeing the Dutch putting 5 in the Spanish net. wink.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wellfield @ 13th Jun 2014, 10:47pm) *
You 'aint seen nothing yet!..wait for next World cup in Qatar!!....200 Billion is being spent

The next World cup is in Russia 2018 Wellfield, Qatar is 2022 so plenty time for that 200 billion to double or even treble. laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (mitchell @ 14th Jun 2014, 12:00am) *
Surprised Jagz that Australia has managed to score a goal.
Will be interesting to see the second half.

Yes Mitch, i feared the Aussie's were going to take a hammering in the first half, but all credit to your guys for being the better team in the second half and could have easily won before being hit with the late late sucker punch.
ashfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jun 2014, 02:32pm) *

Guess you can put it back up on the wardrobe Bill huh.gif
JAGZ1876
I wouldn't write the Spanish off just yet Ash, they lost the opening group game in 2010 and they will be hurting bad.

The Chile V Spain game should be a belter.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ashfield @ 14th Jun 2014, 09:12am) *
Guess you can put it back up on the wardrobe Bill huh.gif

Not yet, Ash. That would just make me a glory hunter. Sad to see some of the anti-Spanish comments flying about, but I can understand that, as I am a bit anti-Dutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.