Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Happened Tae The Sweeties
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
JimC
I was back home a while ago there and walking up Sauchiehall St my wife and I decided to take a walk through the Savoy Center and right there was an old sweetie shop just like the old days, big jars filled with sweeties all around the walls. I thought I had died and gone tae heaven untill I put my glasses on, the old Penny Carmel or buttermilk dainty as it was called would stop you from breathing if you put the whole thing in your mouth and the slobbers would run down your chin because you couldn`t close your mouth, same with the Gob Stopper, Lucky Tatties, Penny Whoppers, and Candy Balls, What Happened They Have All Shrunk.
Soor Plooms used to make one eye shut if you bit into it, Lemon Sherbet used to shrink up your tongue, not now, and how about the Curly Whurlies, they used to be about an inch and a half wide and about a foot long, they are now half the size, same with the Cadbury`s Chocolate Buttons, Mackintosh`s Highland Toffee, used to be, Giant Nougat Bars, is it me or have they really changed.
All The Very Best.
JimC
john.mcn

You're not the size of a child anymore wink.gif

Dainties and McCowans toffee bars did seem to shrink over the years, but that could be said of all the sweets. To keep prices in pocket money reach they reduce sizes, after all they are competing with the likes of Apple nowadays, and I dont mean the fruit.
Jupiter
Everything shrinks, its the companies way of conning you into thinking everything is the same at the same price.A few examples Palmolive changed the shape of soap bars shaving 20% off, Colgate toothpaste tubes got slimmer, Lidlsbacon six rashes became five, Oxo cubes are now not square but a sort of x shape.Have you got anything that has shrunk over the years rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Cheeky boy ! tongue.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 7th Jun 2014, 08:44am) *
Have you got anything that has shrunk over the years rolleyes.gif

Thank goodness.............It's not just me then. laugh.gif
JimC
and how about the Curly Whurlies, they used to be about an inch and a half wide and about a foot long, they are now half the size,

Aye, mind you when I look at what the size of the Curly Whurlly was I do see a similarity to something else but I don`t think I`ll go there. wub.gif ( not sure how to use the "Quote " appl.)

All The Very Best.
JimC
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JimC @ 7th Jun 2014, 03:49pm) *
and how about the Curly Whurlies, they used to be about an inch and a half wide and about a foot long, they are now half the size,

Aye, mind you when I look at what the size of the Curly Whurlly was I do see a similarity to something else but I don`t think I`ll go there. wub.gif ( not sure how to use the "Quote " appl.)

All The Very Best.
JimC

Bragging a bit, Jim lad? Just click the "Quote" button and type below the quote that appears, click "Add reply" below. Voilą !
JimC
Thanks bilbo,
I better print that and keep it handy, seems the old memory is starting to shrink a wee bit too, this getting old is beginning to cramp my style.

All The Very Best.
JimC
Doug1
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 6th Jun 2014, 09:41pm) *
You're not the size of a child anymore wink.gif

Dainties and McCowans toffee bars did seem to shrink over the years, but that could be said of all the sweets. To keep prices in pocket money reach they reduce sizes, after all they are competing with the likes of Apple nowadays, and I dont mean the fruit.

....and biscuits, one bite now and they're gone!!
JimC
Aye, especially the Jamie Dodgers and have you seen the size of Wagon Wheels lately, mind you, probably helps my diet. " Right "

All The Very Best.
JimC.
RonD
In the last ten years I´ ve watched Cadbury bars go from 230gr to 200 the 400g to 360g. Mars Galaxy bar family from 150g to 114g. I think they´ve stopped calling a ¨sharing" bar wink.gif
JimC
It jist isnay fair is it ??, a the good things in life get smaller wae age, hiv ye noticed blush.gif
All The Very Best.
benny
The classic example of sweeties and biscuits shrinking is, of course, the Wagon Wheel. Wance near enough the size of a teaplate, it has now shrunk to about the size of a digestive biscuit. But, they're aw at it. I haven't gone as far as weighing and measuring the products, but it's obvious that other products like Mars, Bars are nothing like their 50s and 60s counterparts. The thing is it disnae stop at sweeties and biscuits. Ah've always loved tinned baked beans, but noo when ye open a can it's like bean soup, there's so much sauce in the tin. Water's cheaper than beans. And there's aw the white gunge ye get if ye're cookin bacon nooadays - years ago aw ye got wis fat comin oot, noo it's aw these preservatives. Ah don't think younger people in Britain actually know whit real grub tastes like anymerr, they're so used tae the processed crap that's dished up in supermarkets.
bilbo.s
Wagon Wheels getting smaller can only be a good thing. I unfondly remember the originals from way back, and they tasted exactly like dog biscuits - and I know of what I speak btw.
JimC
and they tasted exactly like dog biscuits - and I know of what I speak btw.

Bilbo,
Be honest noo, whit dug biscuits did ye like th best. smile.gif

All The Very Best.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JimC @ 7th Aug 2014, 03:52pm) *
Bilbo,
Be honest noo, whit dug biscuits did ye like th best. smile.gif

All The Very Best.

Ah didnae like ony - tried them aw - but ah got them fer nuthin' at the grain store in Shettleston. tongue.gif
JimC
I bet you have the healthiest set of teeth in Shettleston. thumbup.gif

All The Very Best.
Lydya Bhinn
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 7th Jun 2014, 07:44am) *
Everything shrinks, its the companies way of conning you into thinking everything is the same at the same price.A few examples Palmolive changed the shape of soap bars shaving 20% off, Colgate toothpaste tubes got slimmer, Lidlsbacon six rashes became five, Oxo cubes are now not square but a sort of x shape.Have you got anything that has shrunk over the years rolleyes.gif

I have noticed that in alcohol a small bottle used to be 375ml; it now stands universally at 330ml. Wine and spirits; 750ml now 700ml. Alcohol content in name brands has fallen from 40% to 37.5%. I now see appearing a phenomena that previously did not exist in OZ 500ml bottles of top shelf malts that appear in bottles only slightly smaller than the norm and I have seen people fooled by them into thinking a bargain was in the offing. I can see a future trend here as was surreptitiously reducing the size, the alcohol content and raising the price we will some day be paying full price for a half bottle. Mars bars were nearly two inches thick .

Have you seen the size recently? Hey there's nothing illegal about it. "The legal rackets" A. Capone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.