Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When And Where Did Queenslie Go?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
BIG T
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen
Riddrieperson
QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 09:47 AM)
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen

I am trying find out for you when the estate was built.The original estate has expanded and new factories have replaced some of the older ones.I do know that a soap factory was opened there in 1988 (Soapworks,which was started by Annita Roddick,now of Body Shop fame) so it must be at least 20 years.Older and wiser people than me may able to come up with the exact date.When did you leave Easterhouse? biggrin.gif
betty2
My aunt was rehoused in Queenslie from the gallowgate in the 1950's think it was mid 50's. The soapwork you mention is where my daughter works but thats only in the past 3 years for her . I worked in the canda 1955 which made clothes for the C&A its now gone also . Queenslie industrial estate was a hive of industry and provided work for the people in the eastend of the city also others .

still here in glesca
Dexter St. Clair
Queenslie Primary School

Demolished in 1989.

Going Home
Heather
The Queenslie Estate used to be a bit of a landmark.

When we moved to Barlanark we knew we were near our bus stop when we came to the Queenslie. I used to live 10 minute's walk from School but after moving to Barlanark, I did not get home until 5 0'clock as the bus was every 20 minutes on the hour.

I remember when I was learning to drive a car, my husband used to give me extra driving lessons and it was always around the streets in the Queenslie Estate.
Gemini
I too worked in the Canda in the early fifties, there was the clothing factory, a mattress factory, and I believe smith corona the typewriter factory, not sure what if anything else was there
william conlin
AHH the canda,my mum Alice worked there for years as a presser,making clothes as you say for C&A,and also john stevens of carnaby street,she worked there from the early 60s,i was a bad boy and got nicked for spray painting the wall that ran along the outside,trust me to get nabbed at ma mums work,i remember walking along the to[p end of the scheme where it looked down ontot he estate,especially the SLD. with all the big diggers wow what i wouldnt have given to get ma hands on one of those way back then lol.i took my two sons up to look at the old place and try to show themwhere i was brought, up this was about 14/15 years ago and the scheme was gone then.the feeling i had was wierd it might sound soppy but i was very upset about this important piece of my past not being there to share with my sons.Due to a fire in my mothers house (in cumbernauld)i lost all photographs of the old place so if you have any that you could send me i would appreciate it,any at all doesnt matter what the subject matter is,i managed to save about 2/3 one was of me william baird and tam Mcbain wie johnny seven guns,and alky Mac Millan in a dalek suit lol ...
jaybee
My Aunt lived in Queenslie (but we called it Easterhouse). This would be the late 50s early 60s. My mother also worked in the Mine Safety in the Estate. Don't know when the houses went though. Jaybee
penny dainty
jings I never knew Easterhouse used to be called Queenslie!
Heather
The house's just past the Queenslie Estate were called Queenslie. The next house's came under Easterhouse.

I was surprised to see a C & A Store in Cracow, Poland, I thought they were out of business.
john miller
hi i used to live at 8 lonmay path from 1960 when i was born there till 1977 when i joined the air force loved the place the industrial estate was a great playground
Eddie McGeough
hi.....i lived in horndean crescent,queenslie all my childhood and left when i was 18....i think it was demolished in the early nineties(cant remember exact time though).....anyone else from queenslie?
angie spence
hi i used to live in no 4 lonmay path till 1977 when i moved back to england, does anyone remember the pattersons? and the morrisons and the boyles that live in the same block

gees never have been back there but my daughter married a guy from scotland and oddly enough she now lives in scotland maybe one day i will get the chance to go back and see all the changes that have taken place.

fondest memories
angie
jaybee
QUOTE (Eddie McGeough @ 28th Apr 2009, 10:47pm) *
hi.....i lived in horndean crescent,queenslie all my childhood and left when i was 18....i think it was demolished in the early nineties(cant remember exact time though).....anyone else from queenslie?

Eddie, do you remember the Heaney's from Horndean Crescent?
lindamac
QUOTE (Heather @ 18th May 2005, 08:42am) *
The Queenslie Estate used to be a bit of a landmark.

When we moved to Barlanark we knew we were near our bus stop when we came to the Queenslie. I used to live 10 minute's walk from School but after moving to Barlanark, I did not get home until 5 0'clock as the bus was every 20 minutes on the hour.

I remember when I was learning to drive a car, my husband used to give me extra driving lessons and it was always around the streets in the Queenslie Estate.

biggrin.gif Same as my husband Neil who lived in Cranhill Heather his dad always took him for wee lessons through the Queenslie estate,he has many a good memory of the place.
keylock000
I lived in Queenslie from 1971 to 1973 and it was the only catholic estate in the area mounted on the top of a hill it had cranhill to the east
the GYT to the north Easterhouse to the east and south in which there was also a prison (no I was too young to go there)

we used to have a view of the sun rising in the morning on penstone rd
and the monkland canal (mostly empty) striking east to garkosh(i cant spell the name soz to all) which was a mental institution in quite the right place (easterhouse)

mostly semi detatched blocks of flats divided into four sets, each side of one open close as it was called then with a few old peeps homes near the shops

some peeps from there were cambells, fins, cassidys, bettys, spences, curries

schools we walked to were St Gregorys cranhill which also has since vanished

doctors were a walk to easterhouse

GYT estate has a name but i never could spell it let alone visit as it would be considered a beatable offence by the locals but then so was being English on a Scottish estate, sad to see it go but not totally sad lol
27stowst
Think ye mean Garthamlock (GYT)? A lot of renovation has been done there recently and it's looking a lot better. Lot of nice people there, as there has always been. Like most places in Glasgow the minority give the places a bad name.
keylock000
Garthamlock
Well done that man
I should know it as my dad took me to see his sister that lived there
but when we were kids it seened like everywhere was difficult to visit
and Slainte Mhor to ur home and kin too =0)
Catholic estate?
smith
Is there no pictures any where of Queenslie ?
simon
i lived in queenslie untill it got tore down. last house remaining, i believe it was the galloway's.( a close or two from mine on horndean cress) queenslie was demolised because it was a magnet for deprivation, with the estate round it the council could cut there losses and sell the land. still holds memories for me though. if you go the swingy pitch is still there
*eddie*
Catholic estate..... what are you talking about?????
Tommy McMillan
i was born in Queenslie in 1957 me and family lived at 31 Penston Road.My Mum & Dad where Catherine And Arthur McMillan My Brothers Where David. Arthur.James. Richard. William .And my Sister was Nancy went to Queenslie primary school from 1963 until 1969 some great teachers before going to gathamlock secondary school then moving to manchester in 1972.my auntie and uncle stayed horneden crescent next to 51 bus stop.
Queenslie1957
tongue.gif I To Was Born in Queenslie December 1957 Lived 31 Penston Road With My Mum And Dad
Catherine/Arthur McMillan With My Brothers And Sister

Gone But Not Forgotten
Queenslie1957
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Aug 2009, 05:39am) *
Catholic estate?

I Don't Think So I Lived There
Queenslie1957
51 Bus To Douglas Street
Queenslie1957
Picture Of Queenslie Primary School
William Jackson
HI Lived on Horndean cres 55 to 76. The cul-de-sac backing on to Penston rd on one side Lonmay path on the other (GYT)=GARTHAMLOCK YOUNG TOI, Only one of the gang names around at the time used by teenagers trying to find a sense of community in a new enviroment.lets face it being up rooted from Parkhead ,Shettleston or Bridgeton to what amounted to a green field site must have been daunting to say the least. All my mates elder siblings went back to familar surrounding asap,or left the country altogether. My father lived there for a few years after i left and still did most of his shopping in Bridgeton where he was raised (given the chance old habits die hard).
Raymond
Hi folks I lived at 86 horndean crescent ( I think - My memory isn't what it used to be.) We left when I was 7 or 8 years old. Anyway we lived on the ground floor. Mum and dad were Helen and Fred Toms and kids were Bryan, Raymond and Derek. I had pals called Thomas dickson upstairs and brian and alan devlin next close. There was wully Jamieson up at the top of the crescent and several others I canny remember, lol.

I would be good to see some pictures of the old place.

Anyone remember us?
stevo
i was born and bred in queenslie my name is steven emans. i came from queenslie form 1982 till 1997 when i moved to craigend. i miss the old place so many memories biggrin.gif. I live in horndean cres with my mum annamrie emans and my nana june emans and my auntie elaine emans both lived at lonmay rd in the triangle across the road from the shops. biggrin.gif good times
jason montgomery
QUOTE (Eddie McGeough @ 28th Apr 2009, 11:28pm) *

hi eddie do you remeber mr jason montgomery.
lyndsay mcgillvary
QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 08:40am) *

Me and my family were one of the last to leave queenslie, they started pulling the houses down round about us a year or two b4 we left although lonmay path was pulled down years before there was any rumour that the rest was to go. we lived in lonmay road. we were relocated to riddrie in april 1996. queenslie was a great place to grow up in and we still miss it loads. my family name is mcgillvary, hazel and robert with lyndsay, margaret, christopher and stacey. x
mary mccabe
QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 08:40am) *

HI I GREW UP IN QUEENLIE AT THE LATE 70S AND 80S HAD REALLY NICE FRIENDS AND BOS WENT TO QUEENSLIE PRIMARY. THEY SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT FOR HOUSES AND NOT SN ESTATE ESPECIALLY WITH GROWING HOMELESSNESS REALLY MISS THE PLACE
Sammy Keenan
QUOTE (lyndsay mcgillvary @ 25th Jul 2010, 05:28pm) *
Me and my family were one of the last to leave queenslie, they started pulling the houses down round about us a year or two b4 we left although lonmay path was pulled down years before there was any rumour that the rest was to go. we lived in lonmay road. we were relocated to riddrie in april 1996. queenslie was a great place to grow up in and we still miss it loads. my family name is mcgillvary, hazel and robert with lyndsay, margaret, christopher and stacey. x

HI LYNSEY - DONT KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME, MY NAME IS SAMMY KEENAN, I WAS BEST PALS WITH YOUR WEE SISTER MARGARET FOR YEARS, WE EVEN HAD THE SAME BIRTHDAY. I WAS UP QUEENSLIE LAST YEAR ON NOVEMEBER 5TH TO WATCH THE FIREWORKS ALL OVER THE CITY FROM LONMAY ROAD - I THINK EVERYONE MISSES QUEENSLIE - MY MUM AND DAD ARE NANCY & TONY KEENAN AND I HAVE A BROTHER TONY - WE MOVED AWAY WHEN I WAS ABOUT 10!! SO THAT WAS ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OLD PICTURES OF QUEENSLIE? WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE SOME!!

Michelle Murphy
hi there
i lived in 6 horndean cresent for years with my family, my gran and grandad stayed in lornmay rd , i had joanne o'conner and her brothers david and archie nxt door and nicola and jaqueline gibson up the top, we were at the bottom flat. I miss Queenslie. I think it got pulled down in 1996 My Gran Jean and Granda Donnie where one of the last to go. Does anyone remember us??
My big sister was Donna Murphy , i had two little twin brothers, there was also a big white german shepard tht stayed up above us called Gripper, it was always in the feranda lol, It was Jambers' dog. I was still young when i left but i remember it like it was yesterday sad.gif
btw i remember the McGillverys i was in christophers class in primary and nursery biggrin.gif x
if anyone would like to catch up im on facebook and so is my sister and brothers x
NettieWriter
I lived at 14 Horndean crescent from when I was born until 1982 when we moved to Carntyne. Dad had lung cancer and couldn't manage the stairs anymore so we got the extra points needed to enable us to move. I lived opposite primary school and the 'new' nursery school.

Further to previous posts, I don't remember it being a catholic scheme. There was a mix - the primary school was non-denominational and loads of us went to Garthamlock Secondary.

I remember the wonderful views we had across Glasgow from our top floor flat. I'm looking for photos for research for a book I am writing, so if anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Nettie Thomson

(Annette McDevitt)
NettieWriter
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 15th May 2005, 10:13pm) *

That's not the school, that's the industrial estate...
Dexter St. Clair
Five Years ago the text linked to a picture of Queenslie PS. Luckily Queenslie 1957 has lifted the photo from the Canmore site and uploaded it to Glasgow Guide.
The Going Home link is also dead.

You'll find more photos of Queenslie here

kennybee@live.co.u
QUOTE (Tommy McMillan @ 17th Jan 2010, 02:04pm) *
i was born in Queenslie in 1957 me and family lived at 31 Penston Road.My Mum & Dad where Catherine And Arthur McMillan My Brothers Where David. Arthur.James. Richard. William .And my Sister was Nancy went to Queenslie primary school from 1963 until 1969 some great teachers before going to gathamlock secondary school then moving to manchester in 1972.my auntie and uncle stayed horneden crescent next to 51 bus stop.

hi tommy my name is kenny barrett my family know your family and i went to school with richard ,your auntie and uncle stayed at 18 lonmay rd there name is campbell they now live in tollcross
Queenslie1957
Hi Kenny.My Auntie Mary And Uncle Andy Did Live Accross The Road From Queenslie Primary
School.My Auntie Mary Died In 1994. And We Don't Know Where My Uncle Andy Is.My Richard Now Lives In Manchester.And Me I Live In Bognor Regis
Heather
Your right Nettie, it's the Queenslie Industrial Estate and as I remember the front building was the Olivetti Typewriter Factory.

We moved to Barlanark in April 1953 and always got off the bus the stop after the Industrial Estate as there were only the Green SMT buses went past Barlanark at that time as Barlanark was just being built.
It was terrible getting on buses to travel to school in town as they came from Airdrie through Coatbridge and Bargeddie, so by the time they got to Barlanark they were nearly always full, so we were often late for school. rolleyes.gif
Queenslie1957
The McMillan Family
keylock000
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Aug 2009, 07:43am) *
Catholic estate?

Only going on what I have been told, but I’m happy to be corrected by anyone who grew up there
Regards keylock000
Queenslie Wean
Hello folks.

I've updated the wikipedia page on Quenslie (see link below) and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenslie

I grew up in 82 Horndean Crescent and lived there for 20 years and loved the place to bits.....still miss the community to this day.

Still bump into loads of people from Queenslie and the immediate thing that happens is laughter as we think back about the old place. Still a bit confused why they never developed a mix of private and rented houses on the site as it was the ideal place to do so.

If anyone has any photos I'll happilly upload them to the wiki website or add any other relevant info.

All the best
Eddie

Jayne Neil
hi to all, i lived at 8 Lonmay Path then 9 Lonmay path right by the triangle where we all played three sticks, kick the can ;two balls in the close etc. i left there about 1975 miss the old place and the neighbours and friends too. there were the Houstons, the Beresfords ,the dollards, the Coynes,the Herguses and many more..... i have fond memories of Queenslie school. Yes i remember the 51 bus!!!! and the paraffin machine !!!!!
william conlin
QUOTE (Riddrieperson @ 15th May 2005, 10:07am) *
I am trying find out for you when the estate was built.The original estate has expanded and new factories have replaced some of the older ones.I do know that a soap factory was opened there in 1988 (Soapworks,which was started by Annita Roddick,now of Body Shop fame) so it must be at least 20 years.Older and wiser people than me may able to come up with the exact date.When did you leave Easterhouse? biggrin.gif

william conlin
QUOTE (Riddrieperson @ 15th May 2005, 10:07am) *

I thinkit was 1955 we moved there in 56 i was born in 1957 and lived in 17 penston road then years later moved to 20 horndean
william conlin
QUOTE (keylock000 @ 4th Oct 2010, 09:17pm) *
Only going on what I have been told, but I’m happy to be corrected by anyone who grew up there
Regards keylock000

Queenslie was definately not a catholic sheme i assure you. it had a mix catholics attended the greg(st gregorys) the others like myself attended garthamlock
william conlin
QUOTE (Tommy McMillan @ 17th Jan 2010, 12:40pm) *

Hi Tam. remember you all well. i was in 17 the hoose wie the big garden and me n tamMcbain used to play games involving hit the cans doon and get a fitbaw card if ye lost we got two in return lol. do u remember miss JAPP she was a hotty in those days as the rest were all old school, and i remember the arrival of miss Beck teacher fae hell well canada. and she rubbed ma chewing gum all over ma heed cos a was blowin bubbles, i had to go to cranhill tae barneys caravan and get a skin heed lol. this was b4 they built the free hairdesser training college.remeber the big shout man. bill the icy.the quarry.and the penston road bonfires they rocked
ally gillanders
hi im ally gillanders lived at 37 penston road next door to the broons then the jardins mortimors at no 39 you had the wards wee mr rutherford Angus and Tam shaw what a great place
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.