Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding My Past Pals
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
Pages: 1, 2
Tori G
Hi this is vgourlay form australia I went to Burnbrae primary @ Craigbank secondary65-70. Im looking for Elaine nee Hamilton aged now 45 she has a brother bobby-Caroline nee Millar...-Eileen neeDonaldson...-Christine neeBoag...-Linda neeCameron. All from Priesthill in the 60's rolleyes.gif Ps Im not on everyday here inGG Yet I do check regulary.
Sheena blue
Hi I went to Burnbrae and Craigbank from those dates, I am Sheena Campbell , please mail me and we can have a natter. biggrin.gif
Helen of Oz
hi my name is helen devitt (campbell) i used to live in priesthill, at 10 elliston avenue. there was a family called donaldson who lived accross the road from me but just can't remember their first names (must be old age) they went to burnbrae, and craigbank schools in the sixties

[Converted from ALL CAPS by GG]
Tori G
Hi helen from OZ and big T (seen both your names before) I knew an Aileen donaldson she'll be in her middle forties now, sorry I dont know much about her these days as I am new to this site too, and also in OZ. I left Priesthill in 70 with my parents Im hoping to catch up with her too as we went to school together. I used to be at her place quite regular if it is the same person. Ive been trying friendsreunited site and found lots of people I know and havent yet heard anything rolleyes.gif
Helen of Oz
Hi vgourlay, did your friend aileen donaldson have an older brother called ian, as my sister in erskine is still in contact with an ian donaldson from priesthill and he had a few sisters
Geezabrek
Didn't go to Burnbrae, went to St. Roberts and Bellarmine between '57 - '67 and was a 'resident' of priesthill like you lot.
Does anyone know of a site that shows the 'old' street maps and perhaps the old street numbers of homes up in Priesty... I seem to have gotten my numbers a bit mixed up as I was living in 15 Elliston Avenue (middle flat) but can't recall how the rest of the avenue flowed numerically... Anyone got the capability of drawing a (rough) map..?? I love to look at the old photo's of the area... of which i may be able to add a few soon, having eventually gotten a printer / scanner thing... hows a bout some other folks joining in and doing a photo post of 'ooor' history - whatever the photo, cos it will be of interest to many I am sure eh !! XXX

Does anyone mind the Gillaney and Campbell families in Priesthill in the 60's..
Hope ye find what / who your looking for guys... see ya.. xx
Tori G
Hi there Geezabrek theres lots of photos of Priesthill and the rest of Glasgow for that matter in the old posts here on the boards, Ive been trying to search through a lot of them, takes ages though and just the other day i seen quite a few of priesthill, have a look in the househillwood roundabout page 23 promise, as for maps, have you tried www.oldmaps.co.uk or just www.maps.co.uk on your search engine.Good luck biggrin.gif Ps my freind Eileen Donaldson lived on that street too I had to walk up the hill from Ravenscraig place which was across the road from Ravenscraig Dve. Helen of Oz thinks she knows them as they lived across the road at number 10, so maybe you know her as well.
Sheena blue
Hi Geeza I am a Campbell from Priesthill , I lived 4 Ravenscraig Dv, with my grandmother and extended family , all closes and houses went up in 2 ,s one side evens and other side odds , hope that helps you. Went to Burnbrae and Craigbank but had lots of friend in Bellermine , do you remember Robert Lamb aka Lambie , he was from Arden.
laura224
[I] hello i am looking for someone called david king he wouldbe around 26/27 he was born in september i think and has a dad called jim king? i would value anyones help on this if they could give it. thanks, laurax if anyone has any genuine information please feel free to email me at little_miss_cheekymoo@yahoo.co.uk
Tori G
Well laura like Angela said, there has to be more info, do you know where abouts hes from in glasgow? where did he work? which school did he attend? where his parents originally came from-area- school- work? etc etc,.. there must be millions of davids in scotland and thousands of kings. Have you tried other web sites that also have sections about finding the where-abouts of people, Freindsreunited is one. good luck!

One good turn deserves another and straight back at me too, thankyou Lord!!! Good luck to me!!! now, as I've just received a message the other day from Freindsreunited, I Found Linda Cameron,.. Sheena. I took a chance and sent a message to Linda who went to Bellermine (didnt think of that b4, silly me).
karyn
hi there.. heres a pic of the 50p church in priesthill
John_D
QUOTE (karyn @ 24th Oct 2005, 09:10 PM)
hi there.. heres a pic of the 50p church in priesthill

hi there.. heres a pic of  the 50p church in priesthill

hi there.. heres a pic of  the 50p church in priesthill

Is there that many toilets in that church......... I'l need to visit that one. biggrin.gif
karyn
ure funny lol laugh.gif
Henke
Does anyone remember Alex Logan, Paul Hebditch, Kenny Gibson,Fiona Dundas, Alan Connelly, Harry McGovern, Ian McKenna and a big Alsatian dug caud Garth? All fae Priesthill. Some from Lunderston Drive area and Househillmuir Rd.
sheena
Hi there,Does anyone remember my dad the late John MCcall he was brought up in Preisthill not sure which street.
Sheena blue
Well done vgourley , you,re becoming a right wee super sleuth hen, keep up the good work. Been away for a while , but back now, can I lend yer deer stalker hat . tongue.gif
marydee
I remember you Helen Campbell you had a sister called Maureen a brother called Hugh and your Ma was a wee stout woman with a bun. Your da worked for Mellville Dundas and Witson, drove a yellow lorry with MDW (mother's dirty washing) on the back. You lived next door to the Walkers, below the Hudsons and Considines and next close to the Austins, Andy Melville and his black Lab called Dandy. I remember Priesthill too well I have a memory that is a curse for I know folk and their business and they do not have a clue who I am. Priesthill was freezing in the winter with ice on the inside of the steel framed windows and Billy Connolly's joke about coats being duvets was reality. Helen your wee Ma was special for I was sent every Monday to tap her for ten shillings as my Ma didn't get her widows pension 'till a Tuesday and I was never once knocked back or made feel small
marina
hi everyone, just out of interest i noticed the name donaldson mentioned, would anybody know anything of the donaldson shipping line, i am related to them from my great grandmothers side of the family
jimmyd
Oh aye Marina I sailed on the flag ship the Captain Cook (well wisnae really the flag ship ) We took the migrants to New Zealand , might be wrong but think the Athenia was the first Merchant ship sunk by U boats in WW11. Will look that up, they also took many people to Canada on ships like the Lismoria , maybe some people on the boards travelled to a new life on one the Donaldson line ships, back in the 50s and 40s Just looked it up Marina and was right about the Athenia.
Have a wee look ,my god you have got me going now ,ah just loved going to sea, gave it up for the love of a woman,an look at me now lol.Oh how I wish............... biggrin.gif

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Donaldson.html
marina
thanks for that jimmy, my granda was at sea all his life, and he missed out a lot on his family, and although i have a sea mane i cant stand the stuff lol, ill look into all you info ta much, hope you have a lovely new year when it comes

awerabest x
RonD
I would love to tlak to anyone that grew up in Auchinairn in the fifties, especially in my scheme at the tiop of the hill where the Lawson buses used to turn back in to Glasgow. The scheme was vbounded by Auchinairn Rd. Woodhill Rd. Buchanan Drive, Buchanan Cresc. Glendale Drive.
anne1 smith
im knew at this looking for anyone from the valley my name is anne skinner i also have half sisters and brothers called mckachnie dad was big hary im in canada now for 30 yrs hope to get back one day my pals were isobel and margret mcfarlane ann mc fee valery mac anne mcpherson and my cousin jim oakley i lived at 30 lochburn rd 33 shawpark st and last was 73 collina st i went to the wee school then the big school of st marys then st columbas worked in bryant and mays for about 3 yrsthen came to canada my sister is isobel i call her izzy mom is betty dad robert brother robert biggrin.gif
maggy aggy
Hello Anne,
my name was margaret agnew, my daughter marina let me know
that she had been in touch with you. john or baggy as he was called, is well and looking good. in fact saw him on thursday and he was quite tanned, had been in australia. when i can get hold of him i will let him know you were asking about him. take care.
margaret
gazzaw1961
hi everyone
my names gary walker i was brought up in peat rd
in the inshort straight across from the library my neighbours were the adams up the stairs through wall was the youngs,then the agnews,downies,down the lane was the mccaffertys,dunlins,the boyds,hearns,mcvies and the piggots.does anyone remember them?????.
Tori G
Hi gazzaw1961, welcome to the Glasgow Guide, enjoy enjoy. I moved away from Priesthill in the 70's and I dont recognise any names you have mentioned,...however seeing you found this post, there are many others in regards to Priesthill, if you do a search within GG and type Peat road Im sure you may even recognise some names on those topics you find and hey who knows someone may soon get back to you....Good luck matey. rolleyes.gif
iain Gillaney
Hi, i just googled my last name, Gillaney and this page came up, i was interested in making contact.
I am 20 years old. i live in australia, with my dad, John Gillaney, son of Frank and Elizabeth Gillaney. they moved to australia in 1963, possibly from mary hill. My dad and his mum and dad moved to a regional town in south australia called whyalla, with my dads three siblings, Angela, Pauline and Frank Jr. from what my dad remembers (he was very young at the time) the campbells also migrated and moved to whyalla, possibly the same campbells that have been named on here? feel free to email me with any further questions at Mummy_takes_my_ritalin@hotmail.com thankyou
glasgow lass
i see there is a now member called totie, i knew a totie who lived in maryhill i was friends with her kids, so hi toti have fun on the boards smile.gif
alimo
HI Marydee. I was browsing through some gg emails and notices yours to Helen in Oz. I would just like to have a chat with you as you seem to remember all about me and my brother and sister Iam Maureen Campbell, and I would very much like to know your name as you seem to remember both my mother and father and all our old neighbours in Priesthill, if you can please contact me. biggrin.gif
stumelvin
Henke i know harry mcgovern his brother john is married to my sister pauline.
Jean currie
I went to Burnblae school from 1960-1965 . Lived at 42 Glenmuir Drive. Anyone knowing Linda Smith ,Helen Hollingsworth Christine Chrichton,Linda Morland Joseph Cambell,Margeret Ingram .Stewart Neil or anyone else that lived close by. Went to Canada in 1965 and would love to hear from some of my old pals.. Brothers David ,Jimmy, John Currie.
Geezabrek
Jean - I posted a photo (Old School Photos, Do you have any - No27) on the General Discussions Thread... (a) Joe Campbell is shown on that. I also popped it on the F/R site under Bellarmine School 1967 (photo's).
He lived next door to a Sadie Conroy - who is on the F/R site also.
murn
QUOTE (vgourlay @ 3rd May 2005, 11:45 PM) *
Hi this is vgourlay form australia I went to Burnbrae primary @ Craigbank secondary65-70. Im looking for Elaine nee Hamilton aged now 45 she has a brother bobby-Caroline nee Millar...-Eileen neeDonaldson...-Christine neeBoag...-Linda neeCameron. All from Priesthill in the 60's rolleyes.gif Ps Im not on everyday here inGG Yet I do check regulary.

Not sure if you are still looking but I knew Marilyn Donaldson, lived on Elliston, had an older sister Hanna and 2 younger sisters, I think one of the was Eileen. Marilyn and Hanna are on Friendsreunited.
I lived on Ravenscraig. smile.gif
roseanne hearns
QUOTE (gazzaw1961 @ 4th Aug 2006, 04:00 AM) *
hi everyone
my names gary walker i was brought up in peat rd
in the inshort straight across from the library my neighbours were the adams up the stairs through wall was the youngs,then the agnews,downies,down the lane was the mccaffertys,dunlins,the boyds,hearns,mcvies and the piggots.does anyone remember them?????.

I remember them all i lived on Hartstone Rd im a Hearns and my family is the Mclaughlins a Gary Walker lived downstairs from us,is it you by any chance?
annsycah
does anyone know the bradleys who apparently lived on priesthill if you do i would be very interested, as far as i know there were apparently 4 girls, their dad (my brother) is called John their mum is called Ann/Annie
i am trying to locate John as i have only recently learnt about him any help would be great ful
Tori G
Murn my apologies as I never even looked back on this topic for so long, (oops) Im not sure wether I even Pm'd you inregards to this, anyways I did end up finding Aileen, through Freinds R and I think they were her sisters. What # Ravenscraig Place did you live at or was that Ravenscraig Dve? Thanks for the info then, I appriciate it. Cheers Tori.
marina
hi annsycah, im related to the bradleys through marriage, im sure its the same family, there would be an anne, josephine, betty, john and others

marina
Tori G
Im still trying to get to say hello Caroline Millar and Elaine Hamilton, does anyone know them from Burnbrae and Craigbank, ive tried FriendsR so many times, still no answer from anyone.

Hi Marina how is ya long time no seen you on GG hope all is well darls wub.gif
issi
QUOTE (Henke @ 7th Nov 2005, 10:07am) *
Does anyone remember Alex Logan, Paul Hebditch, Kenny Gibson,Fiona Dundas, Alan Connelly, Harry McGovern, Ian McKenna and a big Alsatian dug caud Garth? All fae Priesthill. Some from Lunderston Drive area and Househillmuir Rd.
issi
hello henki, did you mean kenny gibson from glenlora terr?
penny dainty
QUOTE (ToriG @ 4th Oct 2008, 02:53pm) *
Im still trying to get to say hello Caroline Millar and Elaine Hamilton, does anyone know them from Burnbrae and Craigbank, ive tried FriendsR so many times, still no answer from anyone.

Hi Marina how is ya long time no seen you on GG hope all is well darls wub.gif

Tori just seen this post , did Elaine Hamilton move away from Craigbank over to the South side by any chance,was she still at school at this time?
Tori G
Hi Pennyd thats alright Ive seen slower boats to China wink.gif

I left Craigbank in "70" or was it "69", anyways lost touch with her in "75" when I was back the last time (unfortunately-being the last time since I was home ). Not sure wether she moved from Ravenscraig Drive, after "75", and I'm fairly sure she was just finishing Craigbank then if not already.

Would love to say "hey how ya doing?" to her, we were best mates then, along with others. So if anyone anywhere knows of her? would be appriciated.

Cheers Pennyd!!! Have just seen this annawe ! wub.gif

Ps,... I put a school photo in the F/reunited Burnbrae section, Elaine is on the right, second last I think, bottom row, colourfull designed top on, if its the same person.
penny dainty
Hi Tori , a litle quicker in my response this time, HEE!
No it is not the Elaine Hamilton I knew, shame , but worth the ask eh? smile.gif
Tori G
Lol I should watch what I say, looks like me on the slow boat to china this time...no worry's for your last entry, like they say you never know your luck in a big city...Pennyd wink.gif
possilboy
hi everybody out there trying to get in touch whith davie gow xdenmark st also jimmy hutchison x balmore rd possilpark and jim graham x bardowie st anybody know their wharabouts cheers john watson nz
Guest flam *
Hi John Watson The Jim Graham I knew lived around that area,he had a brother Billy who was born with a birthmark,the Jim I am talking about was quite a good footballer and went about with a guy called Frank (Who was a caretaker) in my grandchildrens nursery at Hawthorn St/Denmark St area Cheers Flim
flam
Hi John Watson I know a Jim Graham who stayed around the area you mentioned, Jim played football quite a lot and used to Pally along with a guy by the first name Frank ,The Jim I am talking about had a brother called Billy who had a birthmark Jim and Frank used to come into the bookies I worked for in Bardowie St Cheers Flim
possilboy
hi flam your right frank buchanan we all run a round together jim and billy lived top house above mary malcomes frank lived on corner bardowie st across from that wee mission cheers john
flam
Hi John Watson I deliberately left out Franks second name , as I did not want to mislead you , Jim Graham stays in Hamiltonhill Road across roughly from the big engineering firm ( Was it Smiths) at the end of Killearn St / Hamiltonhill Road, I sse Jim at the swimming every few months,Frank Buchanan was a caretaker in my grand-daughters nursery Cheers Flim
Alex Marshall
Hi Everyone

I am not from Priesthill but have been trying to trace a mate of mine from there.

His name is Alex Carruthers , from what I can recall he lived in either Elliston Ave. or Elliston Dr.this was around 1950s.
liz Balsillie
My Family lived in 99 Ravenscraig Drive, from 67-76.We were the Balsillies' My
mum was Betty,Dad Kerr,three Kids Karen,Kerr and me Liz.
We all went to Burnbrae then Craigbank.
We all have very fond memories,like going down rRavenscraig on our choppers and roller skates.
My best friend was Carol Hutchinson, they lived at number 97,they were a big family.
Does anyone remember a murder in Shilton Dr, round about early 70s, a woman, I remember walking past and seeing the area all taped of.
Also I remember the vans that came round Malkys,Sam and Ernies, these were grocers vans,and tommys and willie the icecream vans(I had a wee crush on Tommy, I thought he looked like Elvis)
Sadly my Mum died in 95, she was a bit of a singer and would sing in The Royal Oak in Nithill and also the Levern Waters pubs. My Dad is going strong and is a very young 65 now,he was an electrician and still does odd jobs.
I am now 45, when it was my 40th, I sat in my car outside where my old house was, you could look out our window straight up shilton Drive, we were bottom left,It was a very strange feeling there is now a new built house there,and the gentleman whom lived in the house was very suspicious of me. I do remember the old water tower pulled down 4yrs ago, we always got into trouble when we played there,apparently there was an old mine below it, so our parents did know best.
I remember a family top left in number 97, they were an old deaf couple with a little dog and there Grandaughter would come over and I would play with her, her name was Eileen Mowat, I remember when you rang their door bell a light would go of in their house as they were all deaf, wonder what happend to Eileen.
My big sis is much better at remembering names, I will put some on that I remember, Our neighbours were the Carvils,Boyce thats all that comes to mind for now
I do rember my boyfriend, Ian Fulton, he had a brother George and Ians Friend was Charlie Coulter. I do have some photos taken of all of us in Ravenscraig drive if anyone is interested.
Before I go, I am a mother of 4 Married to Eddie and live in Newton Mearns and have my own Hairdressing Business, I married first very young to James Beattie from houshillwood, but didnt last.
If anyone remembers my Family,please get in touch.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.