Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kay Street Gunman.....old Springburn..
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Local Heroes
Pages: 1, 2
steved
laugh.gif Hi..trying to research the incident when police chased a gunman through Springburn, then shot him in Kay Street. Someone has written elswhere in these forums it was mid sixties..i was sure It was later than this. I intend to check the dailies on it, but was hoping to try to narrow down the date a bit first. Can anyone help?
thanks
steve
d.c.
According to this website, it was July 1969:

http://gphs1800.tripod.com/Last30Yrs.html

DC
steved
That''ll do me DC .thanks a mill....steve
hudggy
Hi,
The guy who was shot in Springburn in the sixties after he was chase about the city. He shot someone in McLauchlans Pub just down from the Astoria at Society Row and Possil Rd. He was then chased to Springburn he was the guy I cannot remember his name at present. He was the one who was charged with Paddy Meechan for the killings in Ayr which Meechan eventually was released after he got jailed for it and got a pardon.

Hudggy
RonD
The only thing I remember about Kay street was the public baths!!!!!
lizeeloo
The only thing I remember about Kay St is that my ex hubby lived there laugh.gif
AndyR1
the Guys name was Jimmy Griffiths and it happend in July 1969 the pub was called the Round Toll Bar, Griffiths was later chased and went to ground in a flat in Kay street, he was shot by the police through the letter box of the front door and killed.
hudggy
Sorry to disagree with you AndyR1 but the pub was McLaughlins at the corner of Society Row and Possil Rd. The Round Toll bar was between Raglan St and St Georges rd the reason I know McLauchlins was like my local at the time.
AndyR1
Well it was a long time ago, for me anyhow lol but I always thought it was the old toll bar {I stand corrected } as I was just a kid when this happened I couldnt argue with you on that if it was your local.
peter-f
It was along time ago, my auntys pal got shot in the leg by that mad man, she still has a limp because of it. I don't remember it, because I am so young and everthing biggrin.gif
greenrizla
An extract from the Evening Times - The Kay Street Siege - 15 July 1969

Five plain-clothes officers went to an attic flat in Kelvinbridge to interview James Griffiths, 34, in connection with the murder (Rachel Ross). They were unable to gain entry, and Griffiths, who was said to be pathologically afraid of prison, began shooting, injuring one policeman and firing at anyone who appeared in the street. Still shooting, he raced to a car in Great Western Road, and wounded a number of people. Retrieving a cartridge belt from the boot, he returned to the flat, where the siege continued. By now, the police had bulletproof shields, and had been joined by a marksman with a highpowered rifle. But just as they were preparing to use tear-gas, Griffiths escaped, commandeered a car at gunpoint, and took police on a three-mile pursuit to Possil.

Griffiths ran into the Round Toll Bar, where he fired some more shots, asked for a drink, changed his mind, then made off in a stolen lorry, before ending up in a tenement flat in Springburn痴 Kay Street. There, he fired into a children痴 playground and exchanged gunfire with police, his bullets ricocheting wildly and forcing local people to cower on shop floors. It fell to Chief Superintendent Calum Finlayson and Detective Sergeant Ian Smith, both armed with revolvers, to end the siege. Finlayson later recalled: 的t was a warm day and I was perspiring and excited but I was not afraid. 的 knew that Griffiths had a rifle and sawn-off shotgun and I knew the devastating effect of the latter. 的 said, 選f he gets us on the stairhead he値l blow our heads off.

Finlayson opened the letterbox and could hear Griffiths shooting. Then he noticed the gunman痴 shadow. Finlayson decided to fire and try to disarm him. He raised the revolver to the letter-box and took aim at the man痴 shoulder. He fired, but then heard Griffiths shoot back at the door. The officers feared their bullet had missed, but it hadn稚 it had found its way from Griffiths shoulder to his heart.

It was the first time that a wanted man had been shot by Scottish police. In all, Griffiths had fired more than 100 shots, injuring 13 people. One, a newsvendor, died of his injuries. The following day痴 coverage of the siege contrasted with the optimistic stories about the launch of Apollo 11, which was taking Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon.

Paddy Meehan was later jailed for life for the Ross murder. But he spent his time in prison in solitary confinement, loudly protesting his innocence,

Link Expired.
hudggy
Looks like you were correct AndyR1 apoligise he did go into the Round Toll Bar. He must have went from there to McLaughlins.

Hudggy
AndyR1
wink.gif no problem hudggy.
Dexter St. Clair
Meehan was the victim of a miscarriage of justice over the murder of Rachel Ross during a housebreaking in Ayr. Even after the actual murderers confessed, it took a book by Ludovick Kennedy to have the case reopened and a Royal Pardon granted. He had served seven years.
Guest mARGARET *
I used to live at 19 Kay Steet Springburn next to the baths, my parents were Elizabeth and George Gormanly, who had at that time 6 kids, anyone have any memories of pics plz contact me plz, thanks Margaret rolleyes.gif
jimmie
how yae doin margret? margret a stayed up the bagrayhill a went tae colston the school used tae use kay st i remembber the shooting well anfortunately nae photos of kay st but a remember it well the wee chippy at the end of the st we used tae get a roll on fritter when we came oot FREEZIN laugh.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif aye a mind it was the wee santis chippie ,for me I loved the spam fritters,santis also had a larger chippie further up the road called the newyorker chippie owned by santis brothers it had a wee restraunt at the side with a wagon wheel oan the wall.
Guest championi26 *
I Loved a wee cup of mushy peas at Santis....there still is a Santis in Springburn next to the Bells pub accross from the Railway station..
lindamac
laugh.gif cheers championi al try it oot when hame for the big meet next year mate
Tennscot
Hey Lindamac, can you remember the name of the Street that Santis was on.!! After you pass The Avenue the Tram stop was outside the Church, Queenshill St ,I think ,then it was Curleys or Liptons Then I think Hendersons Butchers , a wet fish shop, and maybe a bank or pub. Then again I think Blenheim St, Santis was on that Street.It was like half a street with steps leading down to Barcable ST., & Atlas St., Mr. Santi handled the Till, I seem to remember 3 Sons and a daughter. One Son Valle or Valli was a cyclist as Iwas at the time. He rode for the .... Dam! Cant remember if it was the Glasgow Wheelers or a Saint something Club, I was with the Thistle Road Club, so I`d see him quite often. I did eat at the other shop next to Bells. Very Good. I`m not sure who was cooking as he was busy and I didn`t want to Bother him.After twenty odd years I couldn`t recognize Which bro., he was. Maybe you could straighten out my feeble memory unsure.gif
flam
Hi All .I must admit I thought the fatal shooting of the old gentleman was in Ross's pub situated at the corner of Society Row and Possil Road, it just goes to show you how the brain disfunctions the older you get..Cheers Flim
hudggy
Hi flim,
That is the pub I said it was I thought at the time it was McLaughlin's my mind ani't what it used to be. Bye the way I was up your way the other week at my Aunt Isa's across the street from you.

Regards Hudggy
flam
Hi Hudgy..When i was giving John and Isa a run down to McConnells corner, they told me they had a visitor and i realised it was yourself after giving me some clues..Cheers Flim
aaron king
QUOTE (hudggy @ 6th Jun 2007, 04:50 PM) *
Hi flim,
That is the pub I said it was I thought at the time it was McLaughlin's my mind ani't what it used to be. Bye the way I was up your way the other week at my Aunt Isa's across the street from you.

Regards Hudggy

hi hudgy the name was Ross,s and it was the scene of the fatal shooting ,the name above the pub was David ross and co or son,but the sign hanging above the pub door was mclauchlans beer .it was at the top of society row,i have a pic taken of the pub at the time of the shooting,it clearly says the names i mentioned,i have put it in here but it does not show too clearly,.
hudggy
Hi aaron king,

I used to drink in it must have been the beer that made me think it was McLauchlan's, I also used to be a bouncer in the Astoria so I used to sneek down at night for a we dram when it was quite in the hall.

Regards Hudggy
aaron king
I have to add that the pic was not at the time of the shooting because the tramcars wer well away by that time 1969,the pic i have is very clear with the names i mentioned of the pub,
aaron king
hi hudgy i worked in John Barrys at the back of where the garage is now across from the pub and we heard the bang ,but did not realise it was a shotgun also i remember it well cos it was my birthday 15th july,cheers pal
valleyboy38
your right A King it was Ross's bar and my mates uncle was charghand of the pub and he was commended by the police his name was James Connelly
elky barr
Remember it well we were standing on the corner wellfield st and springburn road outside the bank
perfume
QUOTE (Guest mARGARET * @ 5th Jun 2007, 01:44 AM) *
I used to live at 19 Kay Steet Springburn next to the baths, my parents were Elizabeth and George Gormanly, who had at that time 6 kids, anyone have any memories of pics plz contact me plz, thanks Margaret rolleyes.gif

Hello margaret i used to stay in wellfield st springburn was born there in 1959 left 1973 cos our houses were being pulled down (have i have fond memories of springburn , kay st the swimming baths lol i still cant swim (.the smell of the chippie coming out the rolls n fritters the smelll of the chippie second too none) santis chippie the wee broken biscuit shop across the road benny the wee man who sold the most gorgeous ribbons the rag n bone man aw my ma sur eloast a lot of her good sheets till she foound out i was exchangin them for ballons lol god bless her and my dad .i rember sellyns the shop my parents had an account there lol i was sure well dressed outtas there i rember playin midgy rakin loved it lol chasing the rats with my brothers playing moatsy as wee called it skittin big pennies in 3 moats n clinkin them together the big polis box at top of weelfield st we calle dit the tardis box used to fone the polis a lot sure got a clip in the lug 4 that lol playin chap doors n run away tyin 2 doors together loved it so many fond memories of springburn my parents were joseph and violet stevenson and stayed 147 wellfield st i have 2 brother david wiliam big sister jean and im the baby elephant as my dad called me mum n dad passed away within a year of each other and was only 2 years ago god bless them they sure taught me how to keep my chin up in those hard day thye taught me great values but i was a tomboy n loved doin all the things i shouldnt have lol walkin the atlas wall aw memories of springburn i still see the walls or the highbacks we used to climb to take us to school take care margaret love to u and your family from me and mine here my email if u like perfume _the_dj_room_10@yahoo.com
Mahegradon
I remember the 'Gunman Griffiths' episode well. I was working at St. George's Cross at the time.
A customer had came in and said "There's a guy shootin' people alang Great Western Road!" Ma boss, being a kind & thoughtful employer, says, "Brian. You go and see whits happinin'!" Of course I was halfway out the door before he'd finished speaking.
About 3 or 4 streets along the road on the right hand side there was this guy at an attic window, taking pot-shots at anything that moved, including me. I dived up the nearest close. Thank God fur closes eh? Many an unpleasant incident has been avoided by people jukin' up closes. Couldn't do it nowadays of course.
The polis had a line of Landrovers parked and everybody took cover behind them. The polis, not being armed in those days could only hide like the rest of us, until a warrant was sought for the use of firearms.
Meanwhile Griffiths had made his escape and highjacked a car and was driven to the pub.
He then stole a lorry and ended up trapped in Kay Street, a cul de sac he wouldn't have known about.
He then locked himself in the tenement house overlooking the swing park.
It was then that the polis decided to act and he was shot throught the letterbox.
Couldnae happen tae a nicer guy.
Mahegradon
QUOTE (steved @ 22nd Apr 2005, 07:41 PM) *
laugh.gif Hi..trying to research the incident when police chased a gunman through Springburn, then shot him in Kay Street. Someone has written elswhere in these forums it was mid sixties..i was sure It was later than this. I intend to check the dailies on it, but was hoping to try to narrow down the date a bit first. Can anyone help?
thanks
steve

1969! I seem to remember it was a few days before the Moon landing!
Try the Daily Record Book of Front Pages, last seen in Woodside Library.
stevedr
QUOTE (Mahegradon @ 13th Nov 2007, 08:25 PM) *
1969! I seem to remember it was a few days before the Moon landing!
Try the Daily Record Book of Front Pages, last seen in Woodside Library.

Hi I inteviewed a woman for my Springburn project last year who was living at the chip shop side of Kay street at the time and she was adamant that the shooting was not through the letterbox. She claimed the door was open at the time he was gunned down. Fact or fiction? No idea..i was only seven and living in Gourlay Street at the time.

It may be tempting to dismiss her account as waffle, but when you think about it..the first time guns used by cops in Springburn..awards for bravery etc..the media hungry for heroes ...its not to say some detail was exaggerated for dramatic effect...its happened before.
maretin cullen
hi i was born 113 wellfield st martin cullen is my name i remember the old bomb shelters in the backs i was born there 1957 also we moved when buildings came down
wellfield
QUOTE (maretin cullen @ 1st Jan 2009, 08:25am) *
hi i was born 113 wellfield st martin cullen is my name i remember the old bomb shelters in the backs i was born there 1957 also we moved when buildings came down

Hi,I was born at 103 Wellfield,a wee bit before your time,Welcome.
tamhickey
I remember this incident, as I grew up in the area, but me and my family were on holiday in Ardrossan when it happened, which was just as well, because the day it happened, a Tuesday, I think, my mum used to go into Springburn to do some shopping and catch up with her friends. I remember she was worried sick in case anything had happened to any of them, and none of them bar one had a telephone. Once she heard the news she had to call and find out if everyone was ok, and thankfully they were. I was only an 8 year old kid, but even at that age I was shocked to think that someone could come in to my community and start shooting indiscriminately at folk. Even now I shudder to think what could have happened.
flam
Hi All If my memory serves me well ,Paddy Meehan and James Griffiths where accused of murdering an Ayrshire person, but with Griffiths being shot dead,Meehan I believe did some years in prison,and was rightfully re-imbursed financially for it. One of the men who really did the murder,murdered his partner in crime a few years after the shooting, the mans body was found half buried in a backgreen in Springburn, the man who took part in the murder swore on his death bed that it was him who murdered the Ayrshire person and his partner The name that sticks in my mind is Tank McGuinness ( Apologies if I am wrong ) Cheers Flim
Dexter St. Clair
Get me Beltrami

PADDY MEEHAN

SAFE cracker Meehan had been jailed for life in 1969 after being convicted of murdering Rachel Ross, 72, during a robbery at her Ayr home.

William "Tank" McGuinness, who was also a client of Joe, told the lawyer that he was Rachel's killer.

The lawyer was bound by client confidentiality until McGuinness died after being attacked in Glasgow in 1976.

Joe asked Tank's family for permission to reveal what he knew.

It was given - and after spending seven years in jail, Meehan was freed and was given 」60,000 compensation.

from

The Sunday Mail
flam
Hi Dexter thanks for that information , I was not too sure..Cheers Flim
littlelady
QUOTE (stevedr @ 13th Nov 2007, 08:40pm) *
Hi I inteviewed a woman for my Springburn project last year who was living at the chip shop side of Kay street at the time and she was adamant that the shooting was not through the letterbox. She claimed the door was open at the time he was gunned down. Fact or fiction? No idea..i was only seven and living in Gourlay Street at the time.

It may be tempting to dismiss her account as waffle, but when you think about it..the first time guns used by cops in Springburn..awards for bravery etc..the media hungry for heroes ...its not to say some detail was exaggerated for dramatic effect...its happened before.

HELLO - MY UNCLE WAS THE COP WHO SHOT HIM, AND IT WAS THROUGH A LETTER BOX.
IF THE DOOR HAD BEEN OPEN HE WOULD HAVE DIED.
HE WAS NEVER A GUY FOR EXAGERTION, AND EVEN HE SAID IT WAS A FLUKE.
HE GOT TO KEEP THE GUN WHEN HE RETIRED AND KEPT IT IN A BOX AT HIS HOME ON THE ISLE OF SKYE UNTIL HE DIED AGED 83.
flam
Hi Guest Littlelady What a story,Welcome to the boards Do you come from the North of Glasgow..Cheers Flim
wellfield
Good story Guestlittle lady,stevedr has his own wee Springburn site---we that go on that site would be interested in your story being as it is a historical sight to keep the "Old" Springburn alive (wellfield)---- The old newspaper clipping is on the site
http://www.oldspringburn.wetpaint.com
*tam*
QUOTE (hudggy @ 29th Sep 2005, 05:11pm) *
Hi,
The guy who was shot in Springburn in the sixties after he was chase about the city. He shot someone in McLauchlans Pub just down from the Astoria at Society Row and Possil Rd. He was then chased to Springburn he was the guy I cannot remember his name at present. He was the one who was charged with Paddy Meechan for the killings in Ayr which Meechan eventually was released after he got jailed for it and got a pardon.

Hudggy

*Tam*
Hi there,
i am doing a piece of research on gang related murders in Glasgow in the 70's. Can anyone remember who the man was that was stabbed to death in Springburn Rd around August 1973. His first name was Khalid and who was charged for his murder and the outcome of this. Any background info around the issues would be helpful.
Cheers
Tam
TeeHeeHee
Well off topic here: excuse me.

FLAM: Liked that picture #37....the statue, centre right, What's he got in his hands ?
*grifftheone*
HI my names David Griffiths James Griffiths was my father I no nothing about him but what I read here so can you let me no anyhing you no as I would like to no more you can email me at grifftheone@yahoo.co.uk thanks David Griffiths
*GERRY*
i was there that day in a shop called skeas on napiershall st just along from hollyrood cres a woman came in to the shop she had been shot in the shoulder then a guy about 30 came in he had been grazed by a bullet his ear was pouring with blood i was about 11
Mike Hyatt
Just adding my bit as I used to live in the flat where the siege started at Holyrood Crescent. There were a couple of people still living on the street at the time who had been there during the siege and had stories to tell. One was a Yugoslavian lady who live along the crescent and had been in Tito’s partisans, she was busy up a ladder decorating her front room. When she heard gun fire she did not take it too seriously and carried on. It was not until a bullet embedded itself right next to her in the wall that she decided to take cover. An old man was walking up Napiershall St and would not listen to the police to stay back as he needed to get to the shops. As soon as he stepped out from behind the end house bullets started whistling past him and he managed the last 100 yards at a sprint. Apparently bullet holes can still be seen in the end tenement at Burnbank Crescent.

If you want to read the full story about Griffiths, Meehan and who really killed Ross, The Ludovik Kennedy book is a classic, I got a copy off Amazon!

Holyrood Crescent is quiet now, I think, but while I was there was the siege of the ugly dwarf (not my description but one of the neighbours) And a guy got caught up on the roofs trying to break into houses and needed to be talked down by the police as he decided he was going to jump!
James Meehan
QUOTE (greenrizla @ 18th Nov 2006, 02:34pm) *
Paddy Meehan was later jailed for life for the Ross murder. But he spent his time in prison in solitary confinement, loudly protesting his innocence,

Link Expired.

Sorry if this is off subject, but how would I find any relatives if any of Paddy Meehan? He was my granfather.
Jimmuck
I went to Selkirk, Ontario, to see a photo of a Scottish Champion Doo' at the Mitchell boys hoose in that wee village
.... I got my photo but, I came home with a book that contains some of the bloodiest murders in Scotland, called

""" BLOOD ON THE THISTLE """ brilliant book and did I ever learn a lot about 'some bad fellas' including the James Griffiths sag that you have been discussing. I recommend this book if only for the Info' inside it's covers ...

"" Bible John Chapter: ""
She needed a break from her busy routine. By 1968, Patricia had a full life: married, mother of a toddler, and working as a nurse at a large hospital in Glasgow, Scotland — all at the age of 25.

Because her husband was a Royal Air Force corporal stationed in England, she and her son had been living with her parents for awhile. They had been happy to look after their grandson when necessary in the past, and so Patricia asked if they'd mind looking after him on the night of Feb. 22, as she'd decided to go out for an evening.

Some of her friends liked to go to the city's Barrowland Ballroom on Thursday nights, when the popular dancehall catered specifically to those aged 25 and up. An evening with friends, dancing (and maybe some innocent flirting) might be just what she needed. Patricia put on one of her nice outfits, fixed her hair and makeup, and walked out into the darkening streets of Glasgow. In Douglas Skelton's 1992 book "Blood on the Thistle," Skelton states that Patricia first went to another dancehall, the Majestic, before going over to the Barrowland later in the evening.

Patricia didn't stand out in the Barrowland crowd that night, so it is difficult to retrace her movements or to identify all her dance partners. Some people later remembered her being at both dancehalls, but they could not provide a lot of details. Apparently, however, she was escorted home by someone she'd met at Barrowland.

CHECK THE BOOK OUT HERE: and I hope you find it interesting?
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_...john/index.html

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.