Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Craighall Road
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Questions about Glasgow
Pages: 1, 2
*JimC*
Hi ,
I was wondering if any of you old timers ( like myself ) would have old pictures of High Craighall Road, Port Dundas prior to 1958. I lived there for many of my younger years and trying to find old pictures of the street seem to be impossible to find.
All The Very Best.
JimC
JimC
I was wondering if any of you "Old Timers " ( like myself ) have any old photographs of High Craighall Road, Port Dundas prior to 1958. I grew up on this old street and have been trying to find some old photographs for years now but they seem just impossible to find. All the old buildings and air raid shelters have vanished and the only thing left is the actual road itself and a few old walls and foundations, not to mention of course the new factories and offices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All The Very Best.
JimC
*cathy52*
All my ancesters came from high craighall rd, I would love to see old photo, s of it. smile.gif
*cathy52*
My ancesters come from high craighall rd number 100,and 98.i would love to see old photo, s of the place.
cathy52
hi jim, my ancesters came from high craighall rd, i would love to see any photo,s of the place. hope someone might have some. smile.gif
irrie
Old relatives of mine John and Barbara Mclaughlan lived there way back in the 1930s. Willie and Cathy Ross also lived there in the 50s. Sorry i dont have any pics.
JimC
Click to view attachment

Thanks Cathy and Irrie for your responses. I actually lived there from 1947 to 1958 at nimber 116 which was in the older tenement building and unfortunately the first to be demoloshed. I have one photograph which gives an areal view of the street but again my building is gone the only remnants of what used to be there are three old air raid shelters which stood in the back courts.
All The Very Best.
Jim.
*cathy52*
Hi jim, my ancesters lived 98 and 100, for some reason they mostly all stayed at 100 my gt gran lived there till 1955 she was 80ish and she had a wee sweetie shop, or she sold them from her house, her name was helen weir,
cathy52
hi jim, my gt gran lived at 100 high craighall rd she lived there till 1955, her name was helen weir she had a wee sweetie shop dont know if it was a room in her house that she sold her sweets ect all the weirs lived there. yes.gif
cathy52
sorry jim sent wrong photo meant to send photo of my gt gran. blush4.gif
JimC
Hi Cathy
I do faintly remember a Mrs. Weir, she was a short lady with grey hair and very opinionated if I recall correctly and would chase us away from the back close if we were playing around. There was a wee sweetie shop there but it was owned by a lady called Sadie Lawrie, and was indeed a proper shop that had been converted from one of the homes at the front of the close, or as they were called one of the Single Ends. If you look at the picture above, the Sweetie Shop was situated close to the bottom of the picture where there seems to be a kind of semi circle close to the road. If you can come down between the first and second air raid shelter towards the road you will see it.although it was very small, it sold everything from potatoes to bread to cigarettes and canned veggies, when I think of it now it reminds me of something out of a Charles Dickens novel. Not only was it a wee shop but it was also one of the meeting and gossip areas for the mothers who would sit around with a wee cup of tea talking about this and that, Ah, those were the days.
All The Very Best
JimC.
Eastwood 19
I was interested to see the topic about high Craighall Rd. When my mother died in 1937 I was the youngest of four children. In order to help my father I was brought up in my 'aunt's' house at No 52 which was a stone house with a back entrance in lower Craighall Rd. My Aunt was Minnie Ross and I left to join the rest of my family in Blairgowrie when I reached the age of 5 and had to go to school. My Maternal grandmother lived across the street at No.104. She was Mary Kate Kelly and she was blind and deaf. After the war on our family's return to Glasgow I was a weekly visitor to Craihall Rd. To visit my Granny you just opened the door of her downstairs flat it was never locked. I do not think you could do that anywhere today.
I remember the shop next to my grannys close. The lady who had it in 1941 was called Tilley and I remember her giving me a huge bar of chocolate when I left to go to school. There was a family upstairs in no. 104 called Mc Millan the oldest son was Alec and he and four younger brothers became well known boxers. I am still trying to trace my family history to detemine what if any relation my Aunty Minnie was to me. I was living in her house when I got married in 1959.
JimC
    Hi Eastwood,
    I can`t say I remember Mrs Ross but I do remember the houses that had front doors on to High Craighall Rd. and backdoors to Lower Craighall Rd, I believe your Grans house was directly accross the street from the Port Dunashill Bakery and there was another house attached at the side of your Grans that was occupied by the Corbetts who had a son called John who was a little older than myself.
    As for Big Tilley aye, I can remember her as if it was yesterday, She must have owned the Wee Shop before Sadie Lawrie (whose married name was Wade and had a daughter called Ella), as I cant remember her being in the shop, I lived at number 116 on the top floor and Tilley lived on the ground floor at number 116 facing the street . She was like a caretaker of the close, she must have been over six feet tall, she had a wee bit of difficulty walking and had to hold on to both sides of the walls when walking towards you, it was a a wee bit of a scary sight at least I thought she was as I was only about 8 years old at the time. She used to have her gandaughter live with her and her name was Betty something, a nice respectable wee lassie about the same age as myself.
    The other people who I remember living in the same close was Mr. Biggar, Mr & Mrs. Fleming on the ground floor. Mrs Donnachie with her son John who lived one floor up, there was four other families on that floor bur I cant remember their names. and on the top floor was my mom, dad sister and brother, Mr. & Mrs Gilliland, another Mrs Fleming and Jim and Ruth Taylor.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC.
    cathy52
    this is my gt gran helen weir.
    JimC
    Aye Cathy,
    That would be her, a lot younger than what I remember and a bit taller but I recognize the face. I guess we all get a wee bit on the shorter side as we get older but I can still see her standing looking at you with her arms crossed as though you had just done something wrong. Mind you, at eight years old you were always doing something wrong.
    All The Very Best
    JimC
    cathy52
    hi jim, thanks for the wee bit of info about my gt gran it was nice to hear what kind of person she was i was only 3 when she died did'nt know anything about her till i done my family tree. all the best cathy, bye thumbup.gif
    GG
    Hi Jim,

Have you seen these pages on the Historical Monuments website:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/17999...dashill+bakery/

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/17434...ill+distillery/

GG.
    ceaderbhoy
    [quote name='cathy52' date='20th Apr 2014, 01:00pm' post='3663372']
    hi jim, thanks for the wee bit of info about my gt gran it was nice to hear what kind of person she was i was only 3 when she died did'nt know anything about her till i done my family tree. all the best cathy, bye thumbup.gif
    [/quote

old photo craighall rd, do you remember it? the Thomson,s lived at the end off the road boron st end did you know them? cheers c/b
    JimC
    Thanks GG for the Links. These photos are hard to come by.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC
    baldybane123
    Hi Jin C

Yes I remember all the neighbours you are speaking of.
    There was also another two I remember Mr & Mrs Crawford and Nan Udale,
    I think that was Nan's maiden name.
    I lived on the landing below.
    I lived at 116 from 1955-63.
    I have attached photo of bridge at the bottom of the brae.
    I have many more of cowcaddens & port Dundas, The High Craighall Road ones are hard to find.

baldybane
    JimC
    Hi Baldybane,
    I also lived at 116, I would say from 1950 to about 1958. Mrs Crawford was my mother and Nan was her best friend. I lived on the top flat looking out over the back yard and shelters. Your initials wouldn`t happen to be J.D. by any chance. I have a few pictures of High Craighall Rd but the are aerial views and cant really see the front of the building. I have been trying for about 10 years to get a picture of the old street but it has been like looking for hens teeth, even the ones I have were sent by friend on the internet and Forums like GG.
    Would you remember Mr. Biggar, Mr. & Mrs Flemming and Big Tilly or her grand daughter Betty something, all lived in the ground floor? How about McBeans, Harvey`s Distillery, Sadie Wade (Lawrie ) who had the wee sweetie shop and Ella Wade her daughter, John Donachie Kathleen Hodge or Mervin Rielly. I recognise and have all the pictures but having trouble with the last one, where is it Glad to have bumped into somebody from the close.

All The Very Best.
    JimC.
    JimC
    Hi Ceaderbhoy,
    Aye I do remember this house, if you walked out of the close where I lived at # 116 High Craighall Rd. and walked accross the road you would have walked right into the front gate shown in the picture. I remember a large wooden door just to the right of it before going down a wee hill towards what we called the Sugary Brae which then led you on to Low Craighall Rd. I believe they owned a wee Scottish Terrier dog, it used to chase us if we climbed over their wall and tried to steal...... I mean borrow some of their rhubarb that they had growing in the backyard.
    I dont think it was down nearer to Borron St, looking at the background it shows the old distillery buildings which would be right. As you got closer to Borron St the background changed and became the yards of Brownlee City & Sawmills. Good picture though, Thanks, any more ?
    All The Very Best
    JimC
    JimC
    Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentA few more wee pictures that might tug your memory
    cathy52
    loving all the photo's of high craighall rd where my family all lived,and all the memories you all have of the place. thumbup.gif
    baldybane123
    Hi JimC,

The house across the road with the dog had three tenants, one of them being my
    Mother in Law & Father in Law named Minnie & Bobby. I married their son Billy Ross,
    I'm Cathie Ross.
    I knew your mother well, she was a very helpful person, your mother asked me to alter a pair
    of trousers for her son, making them into drainpipes, as drainpipes were just coming into the shops.
    I also dressed a doll for your sister for her Christmas.
    I have added some pictures of people that you may know by sight.

Bobby Wade was a friend of my husband.

The pictures are....

1...Men from high craighall road/eagle street in innis's pub
    ...Billy Ross 4th from left, Jim Ross (brother of Billy) standing (left),
    Bobby Ross (glass to mouth on right).

2.....Bus run with Men from high craighall road/eagle street.

3....Outside Mini Ross's house (at back of 52 High Craighall road)
    ...Billy Ross,Betty Ritchie (Girl that stayed with Tillie),Cathie Ross,Bobby Ross.
    4...Inside single end at 116 High craighall road..
    .Betty Ritchie,Mini Ross,Jim Ross,Susan Ross,Cathie Ross,Bobby Ross.

baldybane
    JimC
    Hi Baldybane,
    My mother told me she took in my pants and charged me a tanner, ohmy.gif only kiddin. I remember when drainpies were all the fashion the only problem was getting them off when you came home tired late at night and dead tired but thanks for doing them for me and thanks for making my sister Betty doll look better.
    That is the first picture I`v seen of Betty Ritchie since we moved, brings back old memories, my mother used to make me go on bus runs with her, Tilley used to call me The Nice Wee Boy Fae The Top Flat. Right!!!!! mind you we used to bring her the Sunday papers coming home from chapel.
    The pictures look great but have a wee bit of trouble recognizing anybody, you wouldn`t have any pictures of the street would you ?? My Mom and Dad passed away about four years ago and you are right she was a very caring person, as long as you didn`t get her angry. I still wonder to this day how we all stayed in that Single End and it didn`t seem to bother us , four of us in a one room flat, I guess when you didn`t have much you made the best of what you had.
    Hope you keep in touch.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC.
    JimC
    Hi Baldybane,
    I meant to mention in my last post to you that if you go into YouTube and type in the search window A Glasgow Birthday Wish and open it I think you might enjoy some of the old pictures. My son made this little video for my 65th birthday from when I was born to the present, there are some old pictures of my parents, my sister and myself as well as some pictures of High Craighall Rd past and present I think you will enjoy them.
    I will enlarge the pictures you sent and take a wee closer look at the faces and see if I can recognize some of them ande let you know.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC
    baldybane123
    Hi Jim C,
    Enjoyed video seeing the old and new sights .I think your mum had Red hair and a son had red hair
    that is all I can remember as its been a long time.As for drainpipe trousers there were many jokes
    about them Comedians had field day.They say best way to get into them was to jump off the
    Mantlepiece .if I find any good Photo's I will send them on

baldybane123
    hi Jim C

I found some more aerial photos, showing 116 High Craighall road.
    These are old probably from 1932.
    On the last photo (a zoomed in version of previous photos)...
    116 is to the left of the row of tenements, with 110 adjoining it to the right,
    then number ? (Seeetie shop),
    then 100 (in white, had been knocked down when I was there).
    115 is the house opposite the tenements (this was also known as 52 from the low road.

baldybane
    JimC
    Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentThanks Baldybane
    I can see the front of the old building, I think that has been the first picture I have seen since we left back in the 50`s. What do you think of these. Anyone you recognize, or where the picture was taken You should ??? All The Very Best. JimC.
    [attachment=46542:Backyard.jpeg
    JimC
    Sorry about the dublicate photos, wasn`t sure how to delete the doubles without deleting everything. At least it will give you a second chance to view the pictures.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC.
    baldybane123
    Hi Jim C,

I don't recognise any of the people in the backyard photo.
    I take that's your mum and sister.
    It is the back court of 116, it had a dunney thats why you cant see the close very well.
    The smaller windows are the outside toilets.
    I lived above the close, at the front.

The h_g_ photo shows the waste ground between eagle street and 116.
    Do you know what the wooden hut is on high craighall road, there appears to be a man standing near it,
    (at the bottom of the railings of the eagle street houses).
    Don't recognise the people in this photo either.

Mrs Fleming was before my time, I heard she done the stairs and kept the place looking nice.

baldybane
    JimC
    Hi baldybane
    Aye, your right on the first photo, it is my mother Agnes and my sister Betty. You cant see our window but it was right above the one behind my mom on the top flat.
    The old shed you are speaking about was actually an old railway carriage, and the owner used to keep and repair his motorcycles in it, we used to climb up on top of it, it was covered with sheets of corrugated tin and we were forever ripping our pants on the screws when trying to slide off it.
    The people in the photograph are from left to right looking at it, Ella Wade ( Sadie Wade`s daughter) next is Mary Corrigan, my sister Betty and Mervin Rielly who lived up the next close, I thought you might have recognised Ella.
    All The Very best.
    JimC
    baldybane123
    Hi Jim.C

Yes the Wades were a well known Family Bobby was the only one I knew because he was a pal of my
    Husband.

tatty bye

Baldybane.
    RoddyMac17
    I've just come across this thread and I'm very thankful for all the pictures and info. My great great grandfather lived at 116 in 1890, and I've never seen a photo of it until now. Thanks!
    Lilly
    Hi
    Just came across this post on Craighall Road,I hope you dont mind me asking I have been doing my Family History for a good few years now and have a lot on my McCaw family that stayed there, baldybane123 and Eastwood19 I have a Minnie McCaw( parents Samuel McCaw and Margaret Kelly ) Minnie McCaw married a Robert Ross, she was born 1906,
    Regards
    Lilly
    Anne Jackson
    QUOTE (*cathy52* @ 13th Apr 2014, 01:05pm) *
    All my ancesters came from high craighall rd, I would love to see old photo, s of it. smile.gif

ABurns
    QUOTE (JimC @ 19th Apr 2014, 03:42am) *
    Aye Cathy,
    That would be her, a lot younger than what I remember and a bit taller but I recognize the face. I guess we all get a wee bit on the shorter side as we get older but I can still see her standing looking at you with her arms crossed as though you had just done something wrong. Mind you, at eight years old you were always doing something wrong.
    All The Very Best
    JimC

I used to live at number 100 during 1934 to 1952 our family name is Burns, it would be kind if anyone remembers or has old photographs.
    cathy52
    A burns you must have stayed at 100 when my gt gran lived there ,she was helen scott weir.
    ANNE BURNS
    Hi JimC My name was Anne Burns and I lived at no 100 1934 to 1954 The house across the road from the bakery was owned by an old couple I called Auntie Bessie and Uncle Neelie. Mrs Corbett lived with them. When I was young, only a Mrs Munro and her son Stuart lived with the old couple. Stuart was my special friend he had asthma and excema. The boys of the street were too rough for him so I spent lots of time with him in that very interesting house. Ground floor there were5 bedrooms the piano room and Stuart's enormous playroom
    Down a spiral stair were the kitchen and a large laundry. Sadly, my wee friend died at about 10 yrs.around 1945. He had gone to a convalescent home for a short stay but he and another boy ran away and they slept the night under a bush. Stuart died covered in snow. I have never forgotten Stuart and I have tried to find info about his death but no luck. I know that it was all over the Glasgow newspapers at the time.
    ANNE BURNS
    hi Cathy 52, I did Know Mrs Weir she often visited my mum on the middle landing. She would sit on the chair beside the kitchen door and her arms were always folded. She must have been into her 80s. She would stay a long time and my mum would go ahead making the dinner while they chatted. Anne
    Hi Roddy Mac Are you a mc McKenzie? Anne Burns
    Hi Jim C I lived in no 100 until1953-4 Remember me? Anne Burns brothers Samuel, James And Robert Parents Sam and Mary
    cathy52
    Hi anne, thats nice you remember my gt gran ,i didnt know anything about her or y gt grandad until i started my fami.y tree. She died in 1955 i was 3 yrs old sadly never heard her bei g mentioned when growing up i had a few relations stayed at 100, my gt aunt susan kelly who stayed with her sister mary and my grandad willie kelly.
    ANNE BURNS
    QUOTE (RoddyMac17 @ 20th Aug 2014, 06:31pm) *
    I've just come across this thread and I'm very thankful for all the pictures and info. My great great grandfather lived at 116 in 1890, and I've never seen a photo of it until now. Thanks!

Hi Roddy , Are you Roddy McKenzie, my cousin?
    ANNE BURNS
    QUOTE (baldybane123 @ 10th Jul 2014, 02:57pm) *
    Hi Jim.C

Yes the Wades were a well known Family Bobby was the only one I knew because he was a pal of my
    Husband.

tatty bye

Baldybane.

Hi Did you know the Burns family, Anne,Samuel, Isobel, James and Robert at No 100? 1933 to 1953.
    ANNE BURNS
    QUOTE (cathy52 @ 15th Feb 2015, 04:40pm) *
    A burns you must have stayed at 100 when my gt gran lived there ,she was helen scott weir.

Mrs Weir lived above us . She was on the top right corner of no 100. She regularly visited us and as others have commented, I also remember her sitting on a chair at our kitchen door and she always had her arms folded. Anne.
    margie
    Does anyone remember the Higgins family who lived in Eagle street?
    Guestcathy52
    My great aunt lived at 100 High Craighall Road, her name was Mary Kelly married to Robert Ashwood Paton, any relatives to this family still staying in Glasgow?
    ANNE BURNS
    QUOTE (Guestcathy52 @ 23rd Apr 2015, 09:42am) *
    My great aunt lived at 100 High Craighall Road, her name was Mary Kelly married to Robert Ashwood Paton, any relatives to this family still staying in Glasgow?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.