Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People Make Glasgow
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GG
We are routinely ignored by politicians in the city (except around election time), but today council leader Gordon Matheson unveiled a new city slogan which uses the people of Glasgow as its focus. Millions of pounds will be spent over the next few years promoting the city as 'People Make Glasgow', including 500,000 in the first year alone.

Politicians will be hoping that the new slogan proves to be even more popular than the Glasgow's Miles Better tagline which was launched 30 years ago this week, and which many Glaswegians would have liked to see return.

On launching the new slogan, Mr Matheson, who has come in for much criticism recently for his handling of the George Square revamp fiasco, said:
"It's bold, friendly, confident, and it evokes a real sense of pride. The people of Glasgow are at the heart of this brand - we have created something which presents a truly distinctive identity for the city and on behalf of Glasgow I would like to warmly thank all those who gave their ideas so generously."

What do YOU think of the new city slogan?

GG.
Jim 1888
Perhaps it's the wrong question. I think it is good but I voted against because the old slogan could never be beaten!
500,000 is a huge amount to spend on the tag line promotion - so spend it wisely and please spread the money amongst more design / advertising / marketing companies rather than the usual few.
Would've been better if Jolly Boy John was in the picture and it read
People Make Glasgow FOR REAL!!!

ronnie a
What's a pop concert to promote Glasgow never, bring back "GLASGOW'S MILE'S BETTER " and Mr SMILEY biggrin.gif
Jupiter
It never fails to amaze me the manner in which these two bob politicians can throw public money about with trivial ***** (please excuse my language but its the only word appropriate) like this.
I can name one or two places where money could be better spent eg adult learning support centres closing,public parks lying derelict as budgets are transferred to the 3rd class games,potholes.
Slogans what a pot of ****.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Guest @ 28th Jun 2013, 07:59am) *
Would've been better if Jolly Boy John was in the picture and it read
People Make Glasgow FOR REAL!!!

laugh.gif

I have to agree with Jim 1888 that "Miles Better" could never be beaten, and the "Glasgow, Scotland with style was just rubbish.
Bill Irv
"Glasgow - It's no Edinburgh"
CAT
Blood boiling again angry.gif I understand the need to market ourselves around the world but seriously is this the best they can come up with. Does any one know the company resposible for this tosh are they a Glasgow based company. Who is their target market with this one seems to me it's directed at those who are looking for party city going by this one add.
I pay a lot of money every month in council tax and have said before I would be happy to pay an increase if the money was well spent starting with getting the essential services the funding which is so desparatly needed.
Based on this and the George square fiasco I WANT A REFUND ! Why are the people of Glasgow so happy to vote these people in time and time again. If I had the brains I would start my own party and to borrow something from this slogan it would be The Real Glasgow Peoples Party.
Mr Mathieson Get Real.
Oh no I'm ranting again laugh.gif
Jim D
I think "People Make Glasgow" is a decent slogan.

The "Glasgows Miles Better" was great, as was the Mr Smiley but it did not come for nothing. The rights for the Mr Smiley logo cost a great deal of money, so 500,000 is a reasonable cost if spent wisely. Especially with the Commonwealth Games next year and all the other event they are currently competing to host.
DavidT
Council makes Glasgow reel. I much prefer the campaign by Kevin Bridges who after trying out 'wee mental Davy' and many other ideas finally selected Andy - apprentice joiner as the real face of Glasgow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIKEw7WaJI...be_gdata_player
Les Hami
go back to Mr Smilley logo and "Miles better" everyone knows Thats Glasgow!!!!!
chas1937
Think the City Council need a kick up the backside as haven't a clue when it comes to doing anything with just the latest fiasco.Glasgow's Miles Better was fine so why did they need too change it same as Mr Smiley that was best one ever
*greta*
Much prefer the previous slogan, wonder how many man hours and brains it has taken to think up this "simple" thing.
partick boy
Perhaps the council should have asked the people of Glasgow: "WHAT is the BEST thing about Glasgow?" Answers in no more than five words, please.
The slogan offered by Gordon Matheson suggests that only people make Glasgow the great city that it is. But there is much, much more to Glasgow than just its people, brilliant characters though they are, every one.
So, come on, Glaswegians, thinking caps on. Let's see if YOU can find that one-off slogan that really captures WHAT is REALLY BEST about Glasgow (in no more than five words).
Let's see if you can even outdo 'Glasgow Smiles Better'.
droschke7
In these times of austerity, paying 500,000 for a "new slogan" that we don't need is idiotic, can't these imbeciles in the council find a better way to spend our money?
Mathieson
While "Glasgow's Miles Better" was a great slogan it's pretty much had it's day, in my opinion.

I like the new "People Make Glasgow" one.

Edinburgh and other prettier cities can dwell on their architecture and historical aspects but it's true that in Glasgow, it's the people who make the city.

And remember, We Are The People!
tarzan
500,000 for that?
Who got paid?
I wonder if they had season tickets to any Glasgow football stadia.

When you add the 500,000 paid out to Ronnie Saez redundancy from the East End regeneration "charity" then the George Square fiasco and how much that cost, you've got to admit they know how to look after their own.

When will questions be asked of the people who run Glasgow?

Regardless whether ratepayers frequent the same sporting events at the same location of labour councillors and even if they do know their songbook, (cf George Galloway) the same sickening stench must be reaching everyone's nostrils.
tarzan
If its keeping Matheson out of car parks I suppose its something.
Professur
I suppose they did have to get throw Glasgow's Miles Better after people watched the Batman's Joker and learned what a Glasgow Smile is and what the expression was really saying. At least they didn't go back to Glasgow, International city of Kulchur. biggrin.gif
Isobel
My question to the good people of Glasgow is. Do you think you need a slogan?
Does any of the other Scottish cities have a slogan.?
Scotland as a whole is known all over the world for friendly people.
Jupiter
Isobel in my view in a word,"No."
What does this slogan mean?
I cant get my thought process round what it means.People make Glasgow. Well people make most things in this life, but is Glasgow a special case? Who gets money for coming away with this dross.
Its a load of wallop.
john.mcn
waste of money
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Isobel @ 28th Jun 2013, 01:10pm) *
My question to the good people of Glasgow is. Do you think you need a slogan?
Does any of the other Scottish cities have a slogan.?
Scotland as a whole is known all over the world for friendly people.

Perhaps you should be asking, " Does Glasgow need 79 councillors?" cool.gif
rumcdonald
I like the new slogan. The old one seemed a wee bit arrogant.
robert gibbons
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jun 2013, 06:58am) *
We are routinely ignored by politicians in the city (except around election time), but today council leader Gordon Matheson unveiled a new city slogan which uses the people of Glasgow as its focus. Millions of pounds will be spent over the next few years promoting the city as 'People Make Glasgow', including 500,000 in the first year alone.

Politicians will be hoping that the new slogan proves to be more popular than the Glasgow's Miles Better tagline which was launched 30 years ago this week, and which many Glaswegians would have liked to see return.

On launching the new slogan, Mr Matheson, who has come in for much criticism recently for his handling of the George Square revamp fiasco, said:

What do YOU think of the new city slogan?

GG.
john.mcn

bilbo.s
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 28th Jun 2013, 01:54pm) *

What a lovely couple !
CAT
I have now had a look at the whole artical on BBC News and taking the whole concept on board and I now feel it's not that bad. Also from what I understand the 500K is also for marketing the city throughout the uk and around the world which I suppose doesn't seem that bad. I know times are tough but as tourism is now a large part of our economy I suppose it's an investment that has to be made but it's also a matter of priority's. The slogan was thought up by Glasgow City Marketing Bureau which is public private partnership company based in George Square yet another arms length company with jobs for the boy's or am I just getting too cynical when it comes to GCC.

thunder badger
I liked the old slogan cos in my head it went 'Glasgow Smiles Better', which made me smile.

Perhaps the new slogan should be People Make Glasgow Surreal!

Having visited on many occasions I can testify that both slogans are true. If I were to come up with a slogan myself it would be 'Good Times, Good People, Great City'.
Well I don't really think 500K is a lot of money considering that the the city's Marketing Bureau is going to have to develop and promote this slogan in the UK and across the world. In fact - to be honest - it sounds like a pittance to what it is really going to have to spend to launch a new brand on the scale it is hoping to. Poorly though through.
tarheels
Everybody in Glasgow has said it well an up front , just your city has what it takes to be famous , don't ruin a good thing , my opinion . Clarence Potter Sr , California U.S.
The Callands Rebel
Hello from the Yank.

A little take into how the city fathers of Glasgow are viewed as well as our own bunch of demi gods.

Our organization for decades have attempted to enhance the histories shared by our combine ancestry.

Your City council declined each and every attempt, including the free maintenance/perpetual care on WallaceWell Road at the Spring.

We tried to award posthumously our highest service medal for native Glaswegians who fought for the South during ourCivil War as these men had distinct contributions during, only to be ignored.

But they have no problem with expending millions of pounds on a new "slogan".

Why? Just like here in the States, elected officials have to keep oiling the wheels that got them into power, at your and my peoples expense.

Somebodies brother-in-law is going to line his coffers, some way with your tax dollars and the really sad part is that both our masses keep allowing the same types to be elected and with each election, that proverbial screwing gets worse and worse.

Personally, the old slogan was just fine, but as expressed before those politicians need "clean" money to oil those wheels!

And what better way but with your hard earned tax dollar.

Jerry
Kassy
What the heck are they thinking. The old slogan was the best I hate this one.

What a waste of MONEY........... angry.gif
norrie A
"People make Glasgow" is very average." Glasgow's miles better" was classic!

We have a saying in Australia 'If it's not broken DON'T fix it'.
*MYAGNES*
AFTER THE GEORGE SQUARE FIASCO,STUFF LIKE THAT IS DEFINATELY NOT NEEDED
*MYAGNES*
QUOTE (The Callands Rebel @ 28th Jun 2013, 02:45pm) *
Hello from the Yank.

A little take into how the city fathers of Glasgow are viewed as well as our own bunch of demi gods.

Our organization for decades have attempted to enhance the histories shared by our combine ancestry.

Your City council declined each and every attempt, including the free maintenance/perpetual care on WallaceWell Road at the Spring.

We tried to award posthumously our highest service medal for native Glaswegians who fought for the South during ourCivil War as these men had distinct contributions during, only to be ignored.

But they have no problem with expending millions of pounds on a new "slogan".

Why? Just like here in the States, elected officials have to keep oiling the wheels that got them into power, at your and my peoples expense.

Somebodies brother-in-law is going to line his coffers, some way with your tax dollars and the really sad part is that both our masses keep allowing the same types to be elected and with each election, that proverbial screwing gets worse and worse.

Personally, the old slogan was just fine, but as expressed before those politicians need "clean" money to oil those wheels!

And what better way but with your hard earned tax dollar.

Jerry

You said it all Jerry!
wellfield
People make Glasgow...yes' I realize that,the people make every city...now on to the new slogan...ah' what shall it be! can't wait!
Mrs L
I always tell people 'Glasgow's miles better' with a smile of fond remembrance. I have a good life in Canada now.
Don't think I could get my tongue around 'People make Glasgow' as happily
Harper
When i come down to glasgow to visit friends, i feel the city is very much alive, the people in my view make glasgow tick, the city is full of industrial history, i think thats where glasgow people get their great sense of humour, Yes i agree, it is hard to beat glasgow is miles better, i think the slogan good, i remember in the 70s among many people glasgow was known as no mean city. I have lived in dundee for since 1976, when i come down to glasgow to visit friends, i feel im home again, its like stepping into another planet, and its people that give out that great energy. and dont laugh, but i do watch river city.
Jeez - 500 grand obviously doesn't go as far as it used to...
As stated above, very average. It sounds unfinished.......needs something at the end of it, e.g. People make Glasgow ........

It is a forgettable slogan and could be applied to any city. Maybe it could be turned around, Glasgow makes people (smile, come back, happy).
John Bogie
I think this is such a clever slogan as you can repeatedly change/add last word, i.e. People make Glasgow.... Exciting, Friendly, Multi Cultural, Interesting, Better, Happy.

Although I liked Glasgow's miles better, I think this beats it, so I voted yes.
GG
Kevin McKenna at the Guardian is less than impressed, especially with the huge sums of money being spent on the city's Marketing Bureau in what he believes is an expensive effort to hoodwink people.

A slogan for Glasgow? I have a few choice words

The meaningless lexicon of marketing has been scraped clean in civic Scotland's latest attempt to justify another spurious branding exercise. All the usual dismal phrases are there: "key sectors"; a "driver" and even a couple of "growth sectors". The design uses a "strong geometric typeface". Of course it does. They are the words that signal we poor idiot punters are about to be shafted yet again by the residents of Tammany Hall. It was revealed last week that Glasgow city council has committed 500,000 to rolling out another utterly vapid and empty slogan. Ever since the city unveiled its Glasgow's Miles Better slogan in the 1980s, it has never stopped congratulating itself and now thinks it's a global leader at this sort of thing. And so, the city woke on Friday to the news that half a million of their money has been spent on this: "People Make Glasgow." ...

Full comment article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...logan-marketing

GG.
GG
Another columnist who is decidedly unimpressed is Tom Shields, who surmises that such a "minging" slogan is likely to have been a top-down idea, regardless of the council leader's shrill claims that the slogan is a result of a productive consultative process with the people themselves.

Tom Shields on: Glasgow boasts better

Another search for a city slogan has proved futile.

The rebranding exercise has come up with: "People Make Glasgow". Which is true. Without the inhabitants, Glasgow would be just a collection of empty buildings. This goes without saying. But the city marketing bureau will spend half a million quid next year saying it. ...

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/tom-...better.21480636

GG.
mikeyomac
Glasgow. Our kinda Town... Do you want my bank details Mr Matheson for my 500000 pounds?
Embarrassing, unoriginal, condescending, foolish, inane, ridiculous, silly, trivial, weak, puerile, unsophisticated, absurd, asinine, birdbrained, idiotic, ludicrous, silly, vacuous, witless.

Apart from that ... I like it! smile.gif
angel
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jun 2013, 01:20pm) *
Isobel in my view in a word,"No."
What does this slogan mean?
I cant get my thought process round what it means.People make Glasgow. Well people make most things in this life, but is Glasgow a special case? Who gets money for coming away with this dross.
Its a load of wallop.

Jupiter , I agree with your post's , smile.gif
John Bogie
QUOTE (Guest @ 29th Jun 2013, 09:46am) *
As stated above, very average. It sounds unfinished.......needs something at the end of it, e.g. People make Glasgow ........

It is a forgettable slogan and could be applied to any city. Maybe it could be turned around, Glasgow makes people (smile, come back, happy).

After reading this and other posts, I don't think people understand !

The whole point is IT'S MEANT to be unfinished, so as a new word can be added each time, thereby giving you a refreshing new slogan innumerable times.

That's what is so clever about it !
CAT
Yes we are getting it were not thick the point is why are we spending money on this when we have real issues. Surley marketing Glasgow was part of the comonwealth games budget.
I'm in sales and marketing and while I think it's not bad it's not that fabulous and can relate to any major city town or country so what's our USP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.