Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ginger Wine Sweet Wine
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
Kenny Hill
I remember back in the early 60's my old granny would make us kids (although the tee-total adults loved it too) a drink at the new year that I remember being called 'Ginger Wine', it had a weep nip to it and kind of caught the back of the throat on the way down.....but it was great! She also made a Sweet Wine...that was REALLY sweet...this was by far the favourite of us kids, but owing to it being too sweet it was hard to drink a lot of it.

I know she used to make these two drinks in bulk and fill old ginger bottles with it and my Ma always got a bottle of each to take home for me and ma wee brother to scoff.

Does anyone remember this 'wine'?.....I don't believe it was a wine at all, more like a syrupy ginger. If anyone remembers it or has a recipe for either one I would love to see it posted here.

I know it couldn't have been expensive to make because my auld granny was as poor as they come. I kind of remember some relatives when asked about the recipe mentioning a ginger essence or something that was bought from the co-op as one of the ingredients, but not sure if this was just idle chat or not.

Much appreciated hearing from anyone with any info.

Kenny
CAT
Oh the memories of ginger wine. My mum used to make it when i was wee and I didn't like it much. I remember as a teenager my friend Ann's mum used to make it still carrying on with tradition. She gave me a glass once and I politely told her it was delicious. Every time I went up over the festive period she always poured some especially for me and would also give me a bottle ( always in a ginger bottle) to take home. I didn't have the heart to tell her I hated it. laugh.gif
CAT
I am going to my mums tonight she's 91 now but I am sure she'll remember how its made. Only worry is she might make some. laugh.gif
Kenny Hill
QUOTE (CAT @ 1st May 2013, 11:41am) *
I am going to my mums tonight she's 91 now but I am sure she'll remember how its made. Only worry is she might make some. laugh.gif

Good stuff Cat....If your Mum remembers the recipe please post it......Oh and if she makes some and gives it to you.....I'll gladly drink it for you!! smile.gif
CAT
Your welcome to drink it. I just remember it being quite spicy.
serabash
yule ade ginger cordial and raspberry corial bought from the co-op and still available today.
Elma
The recipe has been on another thread in here a few times, can't remember which one, sorry!!
My friend made some recently and gave me a bottle on my birthday last month. It was delicious, nippy but so good smile.gif
CAT
Can't believe it she say's she never made but bought it. I remember it in recyled ginger bottles.
Her sister used to make it so she is going to ask her. I can feel a whole batch of this stuff coming on laugh.gif
Kenny Hill
QUOTE (Elma @ 1st May 2013, 04:21pm) *
The recipe has been on another thread in here a few times, can't remember which one, sorry!!
My friend made some recently and gave me a bottle on my birthday last month. It was delicious, nippy but so good smile.gif

Elma could you maybe ask your friend for the recipe and post it here?......That would be great if you could.
Kenny Hill
QUOTE (serabash @ 1st May 2013, 04:02pm) *
yule ade ginger cordial and raspberry corial bought from the co-op and still available today.

Thanks serabash, I'll check these two out, but the ones I am talking about were home made recipes......I doubt the co-op's will be as good, but you never know.
Kenny Hill
QUOTE (CAT @ 2nd May 2013, 08:40am) *
Can't believe it she say's she never made but bought it. I remember it in recyled ginger bottles.
Her sister used to make it so she is going to ask her. I can feel a whole batch of this stuff coming on laugh.gif

Thats how I remember it too Cat in the recycled ginger bottles.....My wee maw said she remembered that the co-op sold some kind of ginger extract or something in a wee bottle that ma granny added to the mix....but ma wee maw's dotin noo so she could be haverin. unsure.gif
guvinya bass
QUOTE (serabash @ 1st May 2013, 04:02pm) *

The yon co-op ginger wine wis whit usyins weans ayewis drank at n'erday an uistae stagger aroon stoshious when yea so called adults got oaf their face an' fell oot their tree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.