Full Version: The City Of Glasgow - A Film
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
DavidT

Commissioned by The Glasgow School of Art, 2012. connollyclarkfilms@gmail.com

Direct link: http://vimeo.com/55124518
JAGZ1876
Enjoyable watch, good find David thumbup.gif
GG
Thanks, David, an interesting watch. That said, I found it generally patronising, condescending and just plain wrong ... like Victorian gentry visiting a zoo and then telling their children about the wonderful, cuddly and contented animals they had encountered.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy Glaswegian! laugh.gif

GG.
DavidT
Aye GG, from one grumpy Glaswegian to another I think I know what you mean. We (Glaswegians) are aye being studied as a species or even a sub-species by either sociologists or socio-anthropologists or some other kind of ists. Having said that I did feel a wee bit of genuine good feeling in this film even if it was made as some kind of corporate advertising by 'them' about 'us' to attract more of 'them'.
Phew! Any of that make any sense? Naw? Thank goodness - I'm still wan ae us. laugh.gif
Heather
David, where is the Link to that film, there is nothing showing on my screen???
DavidT
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Dec 2012, 09:40pm) *
David, where is the Link to that film, there is nothing showing on my screen???

Should be a link in the first post. if not it's here vimeo.com/55124518
if that doesn't work it's on VIMEO and it's called 'The City of Glasgow'. It's by Glasgow School of Art. I hope you find it Heather smile.gif
GG
Sorry, that was my fault, Heather. I'd taken out the link when I had added the embed code to David's original post. Put it back now! smile.gif

GG.
Heather
I must be a thick skinned Glaswegian as I thought the comments were good and I saw nothing wrong with them.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Dec 2012, 10:16pm) *
I must be a thick skinned Glaswegian as I thought the comments were good and I saw nothing wrong with them.

We can't be grumpy Glaswegians Heather laugh.gif
Heather
This is true Jagz. laugh.gif
marcam7
In true glasgow parlance, Mince
Ossie
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Dec 2012, 09:11pm) *
Thanks, David, an interesting watch. That said, I found it generally patronising, condescending and just plain wrong ... like Victorian gentry visiting a zoo and then telling their children about the wonderful, cuddly and contented animals they had encountered.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy Glaswegian! laugh.gif

GG.

Think I feel much as yourself David and GG, but hey, it was more good than bad. Could've been another No Mean City . 6/10 for me.
Rab
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Dec 2012, 09:11pm) *
Thanks, David, an interesting watch. That said, I found it generally patronising, condescending and just plain wrong ... like Victorian gentry visiting a zoo and then telling their children about the wonderful, cuddly and contented animals they had encountered.Maybe I'm just a grumpy Glaswegian! laugh.gif G.

You got it spot on. After a minute I had enough! Click to view attachment
wee davy
I cant make hide nor hair of this video, David, I'm afraid.
I mean, its clearly a very well made advert for the echelon of Glasgow artists - but they had a Golden opportunity to feature some of the jewels which still remain - and of course show its modern face, at the same time.

Appreciate the link, though.

Rab - yeve nae kulture man - weve told ye before!
Rab
QUOTE (wee davy @ 29th Dec 2012, 04:34pm) *
I cant make hide nor hair of this video, David, I'm afraid.
I mean, its clearly a very well made advert for the echelon of Glasgow artists - but they had a Golden opportunity to feature some of the jewels which still remain - and of course show its modern face, at the same time.Appreciate the link, though.
Rab - yeve nae kulture man - weve told ye before!

Davy! I represent that remark! laugh.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
I enjoyed the film very much and loved the reference to Glasgow being "gallus". I haven't heard that word for 50 years!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.