Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Maself Room
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246
wee mags
wel betty am jiggered the day lots of cookin and cleaning up so the day I jist took it easy ,
keelie gal
Hello pals just popping in fer a quick cuppa,well done tammy in getting brittneys dress i bet you cant wait to the day now and see her in all her glamour,my sister has just came back from new york she took my neice out there shopping for her 16th birthday and she got her prom dress out there and its stunning,and also shoes to match and a little dainty tiara,the limo will be picking sophie and seven of her friends from my sisters house as you guessed it tammy iam booked in to do all hair and make up that day gonna be backbreaking stuff,but iam really looking forward to it and cant wait to see them all in their splendor,better make sure i have plenty of tissues for when i wave them all off im sure i will have a wee greet....in my day when you left school you had a school disco and that was that,my son tommy left school two years ago and he had the tux and the vintage car to take him to the venue the works cost us a bomb but worth every penny as it was such a proud and emotional day wub.gif
Melody
I have to share a thought with you, today I was talking to someone who has an eight year old daughter. The conversation went the usual way of how at that age children have a better social life than their parents. "Lots of clubs to go to, lots of birthday parties to attend, "They don't want to go to McDonalds anymore" they said. " No it's limousines and theme parties." I couldn't help a wee smile to myself while thinking about my own birthday parties at that age, sandwiches, jelly and ice cream, a birthday cake, a few pals from school, absolute delight. It's so sad I thought that even the weans these days are pushed into a whirlwind of being just consumers.
Catherine
Cripes tell me aboot it Melody!
Ah think the only party ah remember havin wae pals was for ma eighth Birthday funnily enough.
Ah wis totally in ma glory cos ahd ma AIN dress oan, an it wis ma Communion dress fae the year afore ...every other wan ah went tae wis in ma sisters hand me doons laugh.gif

We'd a wee party in here for Jake recently, he'd five wee pals, hisel Max an dad made up the eight ye need fur a game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker night! They played it like no game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker nights been played afore, the rules goat made up as they went along an after forty mins they'd enuf a that and went oan tae play wae toys doon the stairs.

It cost the price of two pizza's, juice and cake and the weans had a great time, Jake wis in his glory.

Initially he'd wanted it at some Laser Quest establishment that costs 300 dollars plus ONLY because he felt everyone else had theirs there.
I'm tryin tae come up wae somethin ah thought he'd like without the expense and as soon as ah mentioned the game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker he wis thrilled. {a wee boy came and said his mum said he could play cos it helped his maths!!.....ah thoat only here wid somebudy think it wis a serious game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker Game at an eight year aulds Birthday y'no}

His pals party there at the weekend...eight weans away tae a Leafs game {ice hockey} so God knows how much that cost.
Max wis at a fifth Birthday party last week in the Granite Club, wan of these poopah joints ye need a hunner thoosant dollars tae join.
Ah jist laugh, sometimes ah think it's mare the parents tryin tae one up the last wan's party and the poor weans get the blame furrit.
Melody
Yer right Catherine the poor weans really don't know what they want. What's the thing about putting weans in these limosines? Mibbe ah'm just gettin' auld!.'The game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker party', sounded a good laugh, mostly weans only want adults to play and intereact with them as you know. smile.gif Problem wi you and me is that we still want that. Nae mer smilies either.
jimmyd
Funny this should come up now Melody.Was talking to my Nephews wife on the phone last night ,and she was telling me that she was starting a business organising kids birthday parties ,said there is lots of money in it now. I said 'Oh like pass the parcel ,musical chairs " .No way you will get the kids to play those games now , I was told . It's all Jumping castles ,merry go rounds etc these days .
Catherine
Yer right Melody, an ye get a better laugh when yer in therr wae them.
Sadly there wis a few weans at Jakes that ye jist knew they couldnae quite get over nothin wis 'organised' fur them an they could jist play away.

Oor Molly wis at an eighth the ither week there, wait tae ye hear this wan laugh.gif

Seven eight year auld girls, Esthetician came tae hoose, all had Manicure/Pedicures, then hot dogs and cake, followed by trip to Mall for..

1. Birthday girl to spend money on clothes.
2. Snacks and Movies to be chosen for the THREE girls who were also havin a sleepover. {oor Molly wisnae wan of them }
Ah mean kin you imagine?
Cripes talk aboot thanks fur the present but yer no as important as others...ah jist thought that wis the pits, imagine leavin weans oot like that eh!
Some folk wid be dangerous if they'd hauf a brain.
Catherine
Yer right Jimmy, she'll make a mint! laugh.gif
Melody
I know Jimmy, right enough the bouncy castle things look good fun for them it's the elaborate gestures of limosines and stuff that seems a bit crass to me. Ach well ah suppose it's the way of the world. smile.gif As ma granny used to say. How you doin' pal? Fancy a wee dander roon the toon, ah know Parkhead tomorrow night dae ye fancy that? C'mon get yer coat.
boots
Hi folks, I dropped by the gallery just now to see wee Andrew's picture, he's gorgeous and grandma Mags looks pretty good too. Better watch out Mags, he'll be bigger than you soon.
stuarty
my first party was my tenth birthday and my ma had one at night as my ma and mine wehr a day between us mammy27thjuly a was 28th july and she wone over 150pounds in 1967 what a party jelly cakes sausaerolls and pineapple with cheese so psh aye and a thought the night time yin wasmin aswell
laugh.gif
Melody
Catherine, see ah wid be worried aboot whit kind of messages ah wis sendin' oot tae weans wi that kind o party. Wonder what they'll want for their eighteenth birthday? laugh.gif
Melody
Hello Boots and Stuarty never noticed you there, sorry.
buntyq
Melody, et al - you can't beat memories of your mammy's dumpling and finding the three penny bit or the wally doll. Maybe we should get back to simple parties but in this day and age of people suing each other, the dumpling will have to stay a memory.

Organized parties are the big thing down here and they cost $$$$. One company in the Mall came up with a money maker - Build a bear. Last year the wee granddaughter had her party there - I didn't dare think what it must have cost her Mammy.
Melody
Hi Bunty, that made me laugh there, the thought of being sued because of wee gifts in a dumpling. What a strange world we live in these days. I know these parties are the modern way, I just feel as though the kids are missing something really special that we all remember with love and nostalgia. Life seems to get evermore complicated for them. Either that or we were just simple laugh.gif
jimmyd
Well if you project into the future Melody,these weans wull probably be saying" Hey we only got rides in Limousines and stuff, the weans the noo have to have to a party on Mars, god oor parties were so simple " biggrin.gif

Daein fine hen,got ma coat oan ,an wull meet you ootside Parkhead aboot 7 ish OK ,wull be wearing ma Jinky Beanie .!!!!
wee mags
Iam sitting here laughing at how these parents over here try to out do them selfs ,my daughter tells me of the parties that the children in the day care she works for spend so much money on all the jumping or bouncy & donkey rides,its awful all you teach your children is Iwant it ,as bunty and melody stated about their birthdays it was a dumpling wae wee dolls or a sixpence ,a couple of oranges cut in slices,a couple of bottles of ginger ,[or as they say nowadays soda]and you thought you were so great wub.gif
Heather
One of my g'daughters had her 8th birthday two weeks ago. She wanted a Bowling party. So her parents took her and eight of her friends to the Bowling Alley. Afterwards they went to MacDonalds.

The other g'daughter will be five yrs old next month, and she told me yesterday she wants a Bouncy Castle party. laugh.gif
Catherine
Ma hearts in ma mooth here...ahm in between killin masel laughin an hysteria!

Geoffs away oot tae his game of game of game of game of game of game of game of game of poker night, ahm in wae the boys an the games oan, they're watchin that an playin their wee stick hockey here in the basement.
Frozen wummin of the north decided tae go up for a wee hot shower jist tae heat masel up.
Ahm in the shower, heat blastin, next thing the smoke alarm starts so ah THROW masel oot the shower, THROW masel doon the sterrs shoutin AHM COMIN AHM COMIN IT'S OKAY.....gets doon the sterrs drippin wet, an there's the boys totally oblivious playin away.
Only then did ah realise the ither two alarms oan each floor urnae goin off.
Anyway, needless tae say they've nae idea ah wis like a bat ootta hell five minutes ago, ah jist slinked back up the sterrs laugh.gif

Everythin seems fine, kin a shower start a smoke alarm off?
Luceo
Everythin seems fine, kin a shower start a smoke alarm off?

Yes, depending on its principle of operation. Some smoke alarms are photosensitive in which case an interruption to the light reaching a photosensitive cell will trigger the alarm. Steam will have the same effect as smoke in this case.

Easy way to avoid it is to close the shower room door when having a shower.

Not many people know that ...

Hey but wait a minute, what am I doing in here? Is this an imaginary shower? Am I making an imaginary post? Gaunae keep that dug away fae me?

Ach ! Ah've goat Zebo oan mah suit

Luceo
Catherine
Many think so Luceo...it's the straightjaikets that remind us we're very very real laugh.gif

Thanks for that info, ah didnae know that.
I never shut a door in here, that's karma for the minute it's shut yer guaranteed they'll swarm tae ye!
keelie gal
laugh.gif Catherine i am killin maself laughing here...hey pal its good tae know im no the only one who sets the alarms off
jakka13
Good story Catherine ,here's what my daughter did for one of the boys parties .She sent out invitations inviting the recipients to an adventure party and told them to bring a sleeping bag .She's got 3acres of property so she borrowed tents and built a camp fire ,had a cook out and prizes for the scariest ghost story .They all had a flash light (dollar store )and they had a camp out adventure .She said she could hear them laughing all night.
boots
Hi all, you had me worried there Melody, I thought maybe you weren't talking to me but maybe I need to see a doctor or someone. I mean this nice fireman just came in and explained to Catherine about photosensitive smoke alarms. It was very useful information but I found it hard to concentrate on the message, as I was listening to the style of the delivery and I thought, "That's Luceo" he had his back to me so I couldn't see his face but it didn't matter, I knew it was him. Too bad you wur ben the room and missed him Melody, whit a strong, handsome fireman he is anah jist felt sae safe wi him here. He tripped ower the dug oan his way oot, loast his balance, rubbed up against the stove and got Zebo all oo'er hissel. Ah didnae ken he wiz moonlightin as a fireman, did you?
I hope Tammy posts a picture of her wee lassie in her princess dress.I bet she looks gorgeous.

Now I've a big surprise for most of you. Betty thinks she will be back at the beginning of next week and she's looking forward to seeing everyone so let's plan a welcome home party. All ideas welcome!
jimmyd
Boots !!! Limos,.Jumpin Castles ,Donkey rides , Maccas , KFC, an oan an oan an oan!!! biggrin.gif
Catherine
Ony Firemen Jimmy? We needa heat laugh.gif

That's a good wan Jakka, a few years afore ahd let maxi boy oot at night mind you but he's in June.
Poor Jake wid be frozen tae the grun wae his pals if he'd a tent party in January.
Melody
Yes, a shower sure can set off a fire alarm, it's happened to me in a hotel room once. I was mortified, folk were running up and down corridors and everything. See the lengths ah go tae tae see a fireman. wink.gif Oh no it wisnae funny I was so embarrassed.
wee mags
jist aff the phone wae betty her Grandson Lee wis aff tae the celtic matchand we were blethering when in walked her daughter Jackie to fix her compute, her daughter found out it was the modem, she ordered a new one and it came the other day ,so folks she might be back the night wink.gif
Melody
Aw thanks Mags we don't half miss her sure we do? How are you doin'? Are they beautiful grandchildren keeping you busy Granny? Naw you canny be a Granny, your jist a wee Maryhill lassie.
wee mags
sorry tae tell yae Melody Iam now a wee maryhill wumin wink.gif
Melody
Ach no tae me Mags, not yet. smile.gif
Angela Chick
Hi melody and mags, betty hope to see you online soon ye have been missed wub.gif
jakka13
O.K I've got a quiet day here the day so I've left everything and now Im at Betty's.I've done the stairs ,I've polished the Brass .I'm going to take the curtains down and wash and iron them .My grandson is a great drawer so I got him to make a big banner and hung it over the door ,it says "WELCOME BACK BETTY" he drew her picture on it .I brought Peckhams Millionair Shortbread and I baked stuff this morning .Chocolate brandy cake .I got a carry oot.and all the glasses are clean .I got soft drinks for those who don't imbibe .I'm going out now to find a coal man so we can have a blaze going for her .I'll warn Manky Franky's weans to keep of the stairs .Whose in next? There's still loads to do .
Melody
Jakka if it's a big blaze we could need a fireman, dae ye think? laugh.gif Sorry, sorry, sorry! See this gets me intae trouble.
Angela Chick
Melody we canny mention firemen ye know how we aw get in a state, look what happened the last time luceo was gunning for us laugh.gif
Melody
Ok I'll try not too Angela, ah'll be good............the morra! laugh.gif
jimmyd
Here ye are Melody your very own Firemen poster biggrin.gif
Melody
Aw they are the best Jimmy, thank you.
wee mags
I got a we call from betty her computer has not been fixed ,her daughter was on the phone to her new server some thing called tissely? I hope I got it right she said it was a new broadband service and since she installed it she has had trouble ,her daughter had to ask for a superviser ,which the customer service would not get her ,sorry folks sad.gif her daughter told them she expects her mother to get a rebate for not being able to acsses the internet since Nov ,she can get the site but cannot acsess it as her computer shuts down ,Thy said they would call her tomorrow at five so heres hoping it gets fixed then
jakka13
Well it looks like we'll just have to have a wee party while we wait for Betty.I'm sure she won't mind .It will give all the firemen something to do .Do you think we could get them to POLE DANCE?Now wouldn't that be a site? Badda Bing Badda Bong!!!!
Catherine
Cripes it's mare than badda bing badda bong ah need Jaaka.....Ahv jist been fur ma passport photae!

Photo gets taken then the wummin said Okay?
AH said NOT EVEN CLOSE........TAKE THAT AGAIN HEN.
She did, an the second wan wis worse than the first! laugh.gif

How come naebudy telt me ah don't look like ah thoat ah did...ahm ma MUM!
Now yes ma mum's gorgeous, but she's therty year aulder than me, ah don't know whether tae laugh or greet!
Ah kin feel an early openin at the bar comin oan the night, that Geoffs had it he didnae tell me neer he did...saw his fault...oh here ahm beginnin tae feel better awready guffawguffawguffaw.
Melody
Catherine ah telt ye, the first time ah noticed things were different was when I noticed that ma Granny's hands were coming oot the bottom of ma sleeves. Now withoot ma specs ah just look the way ah always did, but then wi ma specs oan somethin' happens that's really strange, aw these lines seem tae appear oan ma face when a look in a mirror. Wonder whit's causin' it? See jist when ye grow intae yer skin, yer skin wants tae leave ye. Never mind things could be worse ah could be young and daft instead of auld an daft. Auld and daft is much better cause ah'm no really daft.
c/milk_resident_jimmy
ooh ! see noo i keep getting an e-mail tellin me somwans posted in this room and i denny want them any mear, how da i stop it ken.
i didnae remember postin in here before?
Melody
What direction were you travelling in? Have you been oot in space fur long? Don't panic friend this is a friendly home for the bewildered we'll take good care of you.
c/milk_resident_jimmy
I dinna know whit direction i was goin in, i used the force to guide me.......ah ! i get it noo glasega guide i used now i know were i went wrang ! ohmy.gif
Melody
We are happy and honoured to have you amongst us. Is there anything we can offer you in the way of refreshment? Tea, Coffee, Porridge? Sometimes a Glasgow delicacy called 'tablet' may be available. a sugary substance which will enable you to travel well and supply much energy.
Angela Chick
Aye melody lets welcome our new guest to the gg, hey jimmy take us to your leader laugh.gif
Catherine
Then again jimmy...if yer no intae the above an waant tae continue in yer Tardis, jist click oan yer controls, an scroll doon tae ye see where ye kin jist disable the wee bit that ye'v abled {notify aboot new posts}
Mind come back an see us all laugh.gif

Melody ah cannae move fur laughin, ahv goat ma grans wee pinkie fingers, replica's cept she didnae werr the polish {neither did Our Lady seemingly}
Melody
Aw Angela ah liked wur wee Alien pal ah hope ah never scared him away. sad.gif

Ah know sure it's funny Catherine about getting older, ah quite like it in a way, it's fascinating how your hair goes grey and yer teeth fall out, and bit of ye seem tae want go south. But if we're gettin' like wur granny we couldnae be like a better friend.
Catherine
Not at all Melody, sure Jimmy lives up the close fae Angela an parks his Tardis oot the back. She'll be awa oot tae play wae him in a minute.
Ye'v goat tae love thae space cadets in Castlemilk eh laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.