Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trifle
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
darrylstuart
Does emdy mind they wee individual square trifles made with kid on cream and they came with a wee plastic spoon oan the lid? Does emdy know where sells them? Not had one for years and years but I want one so badly!! Had no luck in Govan finding them.. sad.gif
Elma
Why not make your own? Just a wee bit of sponge on the bottom, pour on sherry or some other liquor, spread on some jam (red, of course), then some fruit, diced pears, peaches or ? then a wee layer of custard and then the whipped cream. Easy....... thumbup.gif
darrylstuart
Thanks Elma, will give that a go, I'm sure I'll enjoy that but these wee trifles were full of artificial ingredients which made them different - I know I'm weird prefering all the cheap artificial stuff haha. I'm going to follow your instructions anyway, cheers smile.gif
beth
Well remember those wee ones with the spoon. The cream was a bit waxy though. Made a trifle last week but we are still eating it. Think it is for the bin tomorrow laugh.gif Keep forgetting only two of us at home now. How dae ye make trifle fur two folk?
wombat
beth Posted Today, 10:11pm
Well remember those wee ones with the spoon. The cream was a bit waxy though.

rolleyes.gif coz its made wie clarified"pig fat" wie icing sugar outta it beaten intae it beth yes.gif
beth
Awww nawww wombat. Am now disgusted but then ignorance is bliss. didnae know at the time
darrylstuart
OMG thats discusting... I'll still devour one when I find them though ha..
bilbo.s
When we were kids, we were told that Walls ice cream was made with whale oil. Seemed quite possible going by the taste - much preferred Lyons, but ye couldnae whack the tally´s.
Heather
If you want a nice trifle, make a Sherry Trifle. I make mine with Bristol Cream Sherry and fresh cream. Delicious. smile.gif
Rab
Q.What do you call a man who has jelly in one ear and double cream in the other?
A. He's a trifle deaf!
Bet you've never heard that one before ..................... laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 10th Sep 2012, 04:23pm) *
If you want a nice trifle, make a Sherry Trifle. I make mine with Bristol Cream Sherry and fresh cream. Delicious. smile.gif

I once "helpfully" added the sherry , when Mrs S. was making the Christmas trifle. I was over generous with the measure, with the result that the jelly wouldn´t set ! It didn´t go to waste though. cool.gif
Elma
We ever put jelly into a Scottish trifle, we were told that jelly went into an English trifle unsure.gif
bilbo.s
How absolutely dare you, Elma! In any case, Mrs S. is English by birth. tongue.gif
bilbo.s
Mind you, a weegie lassie of my acquaintance used tae mak hers withoot custard - jist cream on top wi´Cadbury´s chocolate buttons. YUK! Of course she came fae Pollokshields.
Heather
Bill, you don't put the sherry in the jelly, you pour it on top of the sponge and leave it to soak in over night.
If the sponge looks a bit dry the next day, I usually add a wee bit more sherry to it.
That's why my husband tells the family to be careful about driving after eating my Sherry Trifle. laugh.gif
Elma
That's not fair Bill, my husband was born and brought up in the Shields and we lived there for 4 years before moving off to Giffnock much to the consternation of the Stewarts who accused me of 'taking him away!' tongue.gif laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 10th Sep 2012, 07:57pm) *
Bill, you don't put the sherry in the jelly, you pour it on top of the sponge and leave it to soak in over night.
If the sponge looks a bit dry the next day, I usually add a wee bit more sherry to it.
That's why my husband tells the family to be careful about driving after eating my Sherry Trifle. laugh.gif

Heather, I didnae put the sherry in the jelly, ah soaked the sultana cake wi´it but the fumes must huv interfechled w the jelly, or mibbes it wis the custard...or mibbes jist me ! Ma memory´s a bit vague there. wub.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Elma @ 10th Sep 2012, 08:02pm) *
That's not fair Bill, my husband was born and brought up in the Shields and we lived there for 4 years before moving off to Giffnock much to the consternation of the Stewarts who accused me of 'taking him away!' tongue.gif laugh.gif

Whit a wee name-dropper, Elma! Shields, Giffnock indeed. Next ye probably moved to Newton Mearns !

Did ye play tennis at Whitecraigs, perchance ? Ah jist went tae the dances- didnae dance but - there wisnae room tae staun up, never mind dance ! laugh.gif
Elma
No we didn't, we came to British Columbia instead! thumbup.gif
bilbo.s
Wise move. There´s nothing in Newton Mearns ! laugh.gif
zascot
Forget the sponge, forget the fruit, forget the cream, just drink the sherry saves a lot of work laugh.gif
Heather
Zascot, I think that is what Bill did to his wife's trifle. He poured more sherry down his throat than on the trifle. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Well mibbes 50-50. wub.gif
beth
aye zascot, nuthin tae beat some OBs on a cold winter night. Slighlty aff topic. I have a brilliant recipe for Chinese Fillet Steak. YES. OBs again. I was asked for my recipe for macaroni cheese, I often make it for the oldies where I work. Step one, buy a bottle of nice Seff Efrican wine, then..... The wine is for me. The better the wine the better the macaroni. Nuff sed??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.