Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Rangers Football Club
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
A Mackinnon
Now that the "Old Firm" are no longer, (well for a year or so anyway) and in the interest of fairness!! I am starting this new topic as we already have a Celtic & Thistle "topic" on this board, all GG's rules re posting of course apply rolleyes.gif
I would prefer that the comments posted are on the present day Rangers & how they are playing in Div 3, also, how they are cooping with the severe restrictions placed upon them by the various governing bodies (Too many in my opinion!) but as usual we shall rely on GG to keep everyone under control.
Foxy52
QUOTE (A Mackinnon @ 1st Sep 2012, 01:13pm) *
Now that the "Old Firm" are no longer, (well for a year or so anyway) and in the interest of fairness!! I am starting this new topic as we already have a Celtic & Thistle "topic" on this board, all GG's rules re posting of course apply rolleyes.gif
I would prefer that the comments posted are on the present day Rangers & how they are playing in Div 3, also, how they are cooping with the severe restrictions placed upon them by the various governing bodies (Too many in my opinion!) but as usual we shall rely on GG to keep everyone under control.

Hi Archie,
Here is wishing the thread all the best, and of course Rangers Football Club. Looking forward to the posts
Foxy
Jupiter
Will it still be a case of,"Weearrapeepel?" rolleyes.gif
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 1st Sep 2012, 05:51pm) *
Will it still be a case of,"Weearrapeepel?" rolleyes.gif

Tell you tomorrow after the game laugh.gif
kenb
how are the gers doin then
tongue.gif
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (kenb @ 2nd Sep 2012, 07:49am) *
how are the gers doin then
tongue.gif

No bad, undefeated this season so far, still in all the cups and having a good run at the League!! They don't get as many good bus runs to Europe as they used to, but the scenery in the Highlands is second to none! laugh.gif laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (A Mackinnon @ 2nd Sep 2012, 01:28pm) *
They don't get as many good bus runs to Europe as they used to

Considering their next one will be their first tongue.gif
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 2nd Sep 2012, 03:17pm) *
Considering their next one will be their first tongue.gif

..of many cool.gif
Tennscot
Gers 5 Elgin 1
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 2nd Sep 2012, 06:28pm) *
Gers 5 Elgin 1

Yes, and as a wee sidebar, the second largest crowd at any game in the UK over the week-end...46,000 plus!!! Noo bad for a third Div team eh?
Doug1
Elgin City soundly trounced 5-1 by the Ibrox squad. good luck to the Moray lads but well done the Gers'
Dylan
Firstly Archie,well done in creating a Rangers Thread.

Lets hope the Rangers haters will restrict their venom to the " Old Firm " Thread.

No one needs to tell us about our faltering start I expected and accepted, or the nightmare we have experienced and accepted.

A good result today.

I hope we have now put down a marker and I look forward to what I think will be where we should be. Just let us get on with it.

BTW

WATP. tongue.gif
Foxy52
What did you think of the referee today? There were a few dodgy moments, anyone agree?
Foxy
Dylan

Yes !
jimmyd
QUOTE (Dylan @ 2nd Sep 2012, 08:43pm) *
Firstly Archie,well done in creating a Rangers Thread.

Lets hope the Rangers haters will restrict their venom to the " Old Firm " Thread.

No one needs to tell us about our faltering start I expected and accepted, or the nightmare we have experienced and accepted.

A good result today.

I hope we have now put down a marker and I look forward to what I think will be where we should be. Just let us get on with it.

BTW

WATP. :

Good luck with the thread guys..I agree with you Dylan ,keep the crap out of it.. I hope though that goes it both ways , don't let the mindless idiots take over.

Must say , I am bemused with young Templetons move.. he must be on some big bucks to opt for the lowest division..given he was being watched by some of the big money clubs , from down south. Good luck to the lad.. good wee player.
mitchell
46.000, that is some crowd for a third division match, a lot more than most of the English premier games.
And yes Jimmy I totally agree with you on Templeton, a great player, but I am really surprised that he opted for Rangers.
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 2nd Sep 2012, 10:48pm) *
What did you think of the referee today? There were a few dodgy moments, anyone agree?
Foxy

The referee had a really poor game...period! I sometime think they are trying to completely rid the game of hard tackles....."touch" football anyone?
Tennscot
I think that as long as Rangers are in the third div.. They will be helping Scottish Football in general. Increased revenues and TV exposure. Goals were scored today in the third div. more than in the whole of SPL.Biggest gate in Scotland second biggest to epl. Younger players are getting their skills honed as would a trade Apprentice. If some of you guys were taught by a good tradesman then you were a helluva lot better than most when you went out into the rat race. I think Ally`s doing a good job for the run ahead and will climb the Divs.,with an ever improving team and whether the SPL is still alive and kicking we will be there.
Dylan
QUOTE (jimmyd @ 2nd Sep 2012, 11:27pm) *
Good luck with the thread guys..I agree with you Dylan ,keep the crap out of it.. I hope though that goes it both ways , don't let the mindless idiots take over.

Must say , I am bemused with young Templetons move.. he must be on some big bucks to opt for the lowest division..given he was being watched by some of the big money clubs , from down south. Good luck to the lad.. good wee player.

A fair and common sense response Jimmy. !

Young Templeman supported Celtic as a schoolboy, although his Father is a Rangers Fan.

I think we have to accept that his move to Rangers is down to moneyand there is nothing wrong with that.?
mitchell
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 3rd Sep 2012, 04:33am) *
I think that as long as Rangers are in the third div.. They will be helping Scottish Football in general. Increased revenues and TV exposure. Goals were scored today in the third div. more than in the whole of SPL.Biggest gate in Scotland second biggest to epl. Younger players are getting their skills honed as would a trade Apprentice. If some of you guys were taught by a good tradesman then you were a helluva lot better than most when you went out into the rat race. I think Ally`s doing a good job for the run ahead and will climb the Divs.,with an ever improving team and whether the SPL is still alive and kicking we will be there.

Well said Jim.
Yes hopefully the smaller clubs will get some money out of this to improve their grounds and facilities.
Ever been to Glebe park? biggrin.gif
This is great for Scottish football in general, as I have being saying for ages, time to get rid of this shower of no-hopers who think that they are doing a good job at running the SPL and in general, Scottish football.
Looking forward to seeing Rangers playing Brechin next season. happy.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (mitchell @ 3rd Sep 2012, 10:08am) *
Looking forward to seeing Rangers playing Brechin next season. happy.gif

Anymore results like the 1 - 3 defeat at home to Alloa on Saturday Mitch and they may well pass them on the way down tongue.gif
jimmyd
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 3rd Sep 2012, 11:27am) *
Anymore results like the 1 - 3 defeat at home to Alloa on Saturday Mitch and they may well pass them on the way down tongue.gif

Singing " Pick Me Up On Your Way Down. " biggrin.gif
Tennscot
Aye Mitchell Petershill Park looks like Ibrox compared to some of them. biggrin.gif
A Mackinnon
Have you noticed the most used phrase's amongst the Rangers supporters now when they are talking about "away" games..."where is it"...."how dae yea get there"..."whits it like"?

Nobody can say the local economy doesn't get a boost when the traveling support come into town, which in turn can only boost the tourist industry. Maybe the Gers getting shafted by the SPL isn't such a bad thing for Scottish football after all!!
Tennscot
Yes Mac I agree and we will be helping out our old friends in Motherwell with their fianances. McCall sez "Good we need the money" thumbup.gif
A Mackinnon
Hope wee McCall doesn't forget himself & throw on the wrong colours tongue.gif Always liked him as a player & as a "Rangers" man!!!
Dylan
My SIL, who lives in Horsham, is a Motherwell supporter ,so he will be looking for free digs when he comes up !!

On his first visit to my house , when he started going out with my Daughter, he was wearing a Rangers away top ( white ).

That's Steel Men for you. rolleyes.gif

Was in Horseshoe Bar today , had reasonable discussion with some staff and punters and agreed,we will skate it smile.gif
wee davy
A hearty welcome to The Rangers Topic.

Am I expecting it to be free from vitriol and bias? No
Do we even WANT it to be? lol Probably not.

I wondered last night, if this would be the beginning of the end, for the Old Firm Thread. S'pose we'll just have to wait and see. Certainly it seems to be rather redundant for a couple of years.

I think I might start a 'Preston North End' thread (only joking).

Just thinking, youve increased GG's work load - having to keep an eye on the PAIR of ye's lol laugh.gif
tombro
Davy,

There still could be a couple of 'Old Firm' matches each year, in the League Cup and the Scottish Cup !

What are the odds that, in both cases this year, the final will be an 'Old Firm' battle ?

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
A Mackinnon
An entirely possible scenario Tombro! What a game that would be biggrin.gif I might even save up my pennies for a trip back to Bonnie Scotland to be there!!!
Meanwhile I wonder what the reaction of the fans will be when Motherwell come to Ibrox for the first time since their club voted Rangers out of the SPL??
wee davy
FIGHT! lol
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (wee davy @ 4th Sep 2012, 12:47pm) *
FIGHT! lol

Yes, also "entirely possible" ohmy.gif
jimmyd
They will probably turn up in Rangers tops . so they kin hide biggrin.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (tombro @ 4th Sep 2012, 10:50am) *
What are the odds that, in both cases this year, the final will be an 'Old Firm' battle ?

Probably the same odds that they would have met in last years finals.
norrie123
Just found this thread, good idea to start it

Bye for now, norrie
A Mackinnon
Just wondering if Rangers are banned from signing any new players for a year, which is from September 2012 to September 2013, is that not when the "transfer window" closes?
Meaning the ban would actually be approx 17 mths until the next "window" opens in January2014?? and not a year as stated confused2.gif
wee davy
You'll be ok I reckon.
They won't be THAT vindicative, will they? lol unsure.gif
JAGZ1876
The way i read it is that it won't be until the January 2014 transfer window opens.
ashfield
Are all clubs not currently unable to sign players until January 2013 so the ban is actually from then until January 2014 unsure.gif
Dylan
Regrettably correct angry.gif
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (ashfield @ 7th Sep 2012, 08:23pm) *
Are all clubs not currently unable to sign players until January 2013 so the ban is actually from then until January 2014 unsure.gif

.........ah! the old is the glass half full or half empty!!!!...........it still works out to approx 17mths and not "a year" (12mths) as the media keep going on about, which is my point tongue.gif
kenb
cmon guys this is a good thread lets not get bogged down by past issues . but even as it is its still good well alot better than the "old firm" thread tongue.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (kenb @ 8th Sep 2012, 06:08am) *
cmon guys this is a good thread lets not get bogged down by past issues . but even as it is its still good well alot better than the "old firm" thread tongue.gif

Hear Hear thumbup.gif
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (kenb @ 8th Sep 2012, 06:08am) *

Ir wisna me, it was that Ashfield, he's always causing trouble laugh.gif laugh.gif
Dylan

Hear Hear thumbup.gif
A Mackinnon
So. I hear you ask!! how does a Rangers supporter who lives across the "Pond' in Canada get his weekly fix of all things Rangers? So for you that might be interested, or might never even have thought about it, I thought I would give you a wee idea how hard it really was (is), but thanks to the Inter-net it is getting easier.
Well for many years it wasn't as easy as turning on your computer, back in the 50's & 60's when there was a large influx of Scots immigrating to Canada, Ontario in particular there was a demand for football news as the local Canadian media were simply not interested.

In the Toronto area where many Rangers supporters settled you were lucky if you knew someone with a "short-wave" radio who listened to the game, failing that you would go to your local newsagents on a Sunday night around 7.00 pm were you would wait for the Sunday Post & Sunday Mail to be delivered straight from the airport so you could see the results & report of the games.
Not surprisingly, a number of Rangers supporters clubs started to form, one of the first and the biggest was "Toronto # 1" in Scarborough who met in various rented halls until getting their own premises. These clubs would get film/tape of a game and show it the following week & amazingly some of the members would look at it not knowing the score as they had taken great care all week not to speak or check how the game went , woe betide any "spoilers" that would tell what the score was!!
This continued well into the late 80's when we finally found a TV outlet that would send "live" games for a fairly hefty fee & not to reliable!

In January 1992 a lifelong Rangers man called Tam Plunkette decided that something needed to be done about the lack of games & disorganization amongst the various clubs and called a meeting of a few of the members of these clubs, no easy task given the size of Ontario. His idea was to form a supporters group called the "North American Rangers Supporters Association" or simply NARSA! This group would speak for all Rangers clubs & fans & do all the negotiating for "live " games as well as promoting fellowship amongst Bears all over North America as it still does tol this day. NARSA now has over forty clubs from far away as Naples, Florida to Northern Ontario and all points in between (the Bears out west, Vancouver, Los Angles) still watch a "delayed" game due to some of the games being "live" at 4.00 am!!!
Now- a- days we get the game "feed" from Rangers TV and regardless of the time, weather or Division we faithfully go to our local clubs every game day and support the Mighty Glasgow Rangers FC thumbup.gif
wee davy
Ah thoat ye were gonnae tell us aboot how ye laid yer ain cable, under the Atlantic - or launched yet ain satellite thingamabob lol
But a story repeated all around the world to a greater or lesser extent, for so many of the big clubs.

I've came across a Tottenham Hotspurs club in the middle east (non-Brit), a Man Utd club in just about EVERY major town I've ever visited, & Celtic Clubs in the desert (its something about the green lol).

Has always fascinated me, though.
A Mackinnon
Yes Wee Davy, ex-pats the world over have come up with various ways to see their team & meet with other guys who support the same team. but the Rangers & Celtic lads are the only ones that I know of who actually pay to receive all the games on a season by season basis with many having their own clubhouse & not just watching in the local pub. (Australia has a similar set-up as N.America.)
If you Google both Toronto # 1 RSC, and Durham Celtic SC you will see the work that the supporters from both "Old Firm" clubs put into watching their teams.

By the way, I didn't lay the cable, but, my pal John McVey who I served my time with did. laugh.gif laugh.gif
hubert
A MacKinnon your spot on about getting info on the Scotland and other games, it was a chore trying to get scores, I remember listening to an old English man on radio in Toronto with music and you could get the scores from him, cannae mind his name or the show.
I went to Toronto in 1959, and I know some of the guys that started the first Rangers club, I believe in Scarbrough Ont, I played for Jimmy Lang and the Scarbrough Thistle and we wore the Rangers strip! LoL
If you go into the #1 Toronto RSC you mention, look at two of the photos Billy Clements shows, one is with Dave Valentine, I know Davie, when I played for Toronto Royals he was a supporter, an Edinburgh guy, those trophies the Ontario Cup league champs and I think the other was the British consuls cup, it was me that won them, LMAO, joking of course, but that was the Royals trophies.
With Jimmy Lang the following year, I talked into signing for Jimmy three other Clydebank lads mates of mine all Rangers fans to sign for Scarbrough Thistle, they did and help me win those trophies all again. HaHaHa.
The three other Bankies were Billy Black, who is in another photo under Billy Clements and Jimmy Lang tae, also Ian Martin, and wee Stevie Sheppart played.
Our captain was a big guy from Larkhaw Archie Wilson, he used to always tell me he had an unbiased brother back in Larkhaw that said Rangers were the greatest team in the world. LoL
The Toronto Rangers club started a couple of years after the Celtic club, we used to meet in the New Windsor House in Toronto, Gilligan and McVeigh owned it, I believe McViegh is still there.
Years ago probably back in the 70s I was in the Bramalea Rangers club.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.