Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ' Popups '
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Technical Support
Rab
'Popups' are blocking my access to the 'Members' list. How do I get rid of them please?
Rab2 (Ex Rab) biggrin.gif
Jupiter
Rab most toolbars have pop up blockers
Rab
Jupiter, I have 'popup' preventers coming out of my ears! They work perfectly, but these annoying green things are unique to G.Guide. I never had them before I was exiled from the site, but now I am resurrec ted - there they are!! Aaaagggghhhh. Any ideas Martin? They are called Adchoices.
Melody
I've got them as well, blooming nuisance they are. huh.gif
Jim D
Adchoices used to be called Adsense - they are from google as far as I know.
ashfield
QUOTE (Rab2 @ 19th Aug 2012, 08:37pm) *
, but now I am resurrec ted

Are you related to super ted unsure.gif
ashfield
Now that I think about it, since you are resurrec ted, you must be related to Father Ted laugh.gif

Glad to see you back yes.gif
Rab
Ashfield: Nice to see you are still on top form wink.gif Not related to Ted, but I feel sometimes I came from Craggy Island - suits my features!
Rab(2) Visitor! ohmy.gif
Rab
Have tried every way possible to get rid, but they are still there! Really annoying as they block the screen. They are only on the GG website - how can this be? angry.gif
d.c.
Hi Rab, I suppose it's those ads that provide some revenue to keep the site going. They should be sitting in the green area to the right hand side of the page, but obviously aren't in your case. If they are causing you problems, you can usually get rid of them with an Adblocker rather than a Popup Blocker.
TeeHeeHee
Rab, I don't know if it'll help but down on the left of the page I notice there is on the "Skin Selector" box, an option headed "Green-Few-Ads-Right" Maybe if you click on that ... ? ... When I go "Full Screen" which is rare, I have only two small ads on the green side of the page.
Dylan
I have same problem as Rab !
Melody
Me too, it's really annoying and I don't know to get rid of them either. sad.gif
bilbo.s
Melody et al, Don´t know what browser you have. I am on Firefox and have Adblock Plus as an add-on - no ads at all. Try googling Adblock Plus. wink.gif
Rab
QUOTE (d.c. @ 3rd Sep 2012, 11:44am) *
Hi Rab, I suppose it's those ads that provide some revenue to keep the site going. They should be sitting in the green area to the right hand side of the page, but obviously aren't in your case. If they are causing you problems, you can usually get rid of them with an Adblocker rather than a Popup Blocker.

Adblocker appears to be only for Firefox. I am on IE - can't get F/Fox to work!
Rab
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Sep 2012, 12:11pm) *
Rab, I don't know if it'll help but down on the left of the page I notice there is on the "Skin Selector" box, an option headed "Green-Few-Ads-Right" Maybe if you click on that ... ? ... When I go "Full Screen" which is rare, I have only two small ads on the green side of the page.

Thanks, but I don't have a 'skin selector box'!! On the left green bar all I have is the GG index boxes. Ho hum.
TeeHeeHee
Where you have ... "Fast Reply" ... "Add Reply" ... "New Topic" you also have " .. Technical Support" immediately below on the right side. Beneath that and on the left you must have another two boxes. The uppermost of the two, which has a wee orange square beside it, is that skin selector box - the other is for Language - mine shows "English" ... which might have been a big help for exPOW. laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 5th Sep 2012, 09:51am) *
the other is for Language - mine shows "English" ... which might have been a big help for exPOW. laugh.gif

Och, I was thinking more of the capacity for critical introspection masel rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
Ma mammy said A'd get a skelp oan the lug if A used that wan. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
http://simple-adblock.com/

Rab & Melody, try this.
Melody
Thanks for that Bilbo.s it seems to have worked. smile.gif
bilbo.s
Great ! Always pleased to help, Melody. Makes life worthwhile. wink.gif
Melody
laugh.gif Indeed is does pal.
Rab
Thanks Tomi & Bilbo but I have had no luck with either! I'm doomed I tell ye! Doomed!
TeeHeeHee
You must have deserved it then. laugh.gif
d.c.
Rab,

I normally use Firefox, but have been experimenting with the boards in IE to see if I can re-create the issue you are experiencing. I think that I have just done it and spotted your problem.

Is it possible that you have text size set at 'Larger' or 'Largest' in IE ?

When I do that, the adverts move from the green area at the right hand side of the page, and sit across various board functions (Members, Search, Help, etc) at the top of the page.

If you reduce the text size to Medium, it solves the problem.

If that then results in the text size being too small for you to read the forums clearly, you can use the zoom function instead in IE to increase the display, but the adverts will remain on the right hand side of the page where they are supposed to be. It seems to be changing IE's text size function that causes the problem on the boards.

Hope that makes sense, and may fix the problem for you.
TeeHeeHee
What a nice chap. biggrin.gif
Dylan
Hi d.c,

Well done, result, bang on the money.

You are a star.

Many thanks. !
bilbo.s
Is that everyone sorted now, or is Rab still all at sea? smile.gif
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 5th Sep 2012, 09:02am) *
Ma mammy said A'd get a skelp oan the lug if A used that wan. laugh.gif

Ma mammy aeywis sez that A' could hae becume an intirlecktchewal if A' lernt tae talk right
Rab
I'm back on dry land thanks! That has truly solved the problem of blocking the page, many thanks DC! Can't think how my text got to 'largest' - I'm not that hard of sight! Well done. Click to view attachment
bilbo.s
Enhorabuena, chico !
Rab
Que? unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.