Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scottish Fitba
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Dave Grieve
Its my Grandsons birthday soon and I was thinking to get him another team strip problem is he has 2 Celtic jerseys 1 Real Madrid 1 Portugal 1 Scotland strip plus a Newcastle strip
What to get him that is different i'm thinking, got it thought I, a Partick Thistle strip wearing one of those he would be the only boy in Joburg with it on.
So I go into the Jags website and had a look, quite liked this season Yellow top and tried to order, problem is they have done a deal with Greaves sports who only deliver on the UK mainland!

So its my Grandsons birthday soon and I dont know what to get this fitba mad boy? wink.gif biggrin.gif
JAGZ1876
Morning Dave, why don't you buy it from Greaves and have them deliver it to a friend or relatives address in the UK who can then post it on to you, simple's wink.gif
ashfield
Or just buy him a cowboy outfit.............

Make up your own ending to that one tongue.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (ashfield @ 4th Aug 2012, 10:00am) *
Or just buy him a cowboy outfit.............

Make up your own ending to that one tongue.gif

Dae they come in team colours wink.gif

Problem with that Jagz is getting the family motivated to do it at my speed.

When I buy from the Celtic Superstore I can pick what I want on monday say and it will be delivered to me by courier on the thursday
Jupiter
Just for your info Dave Royal Mail recently made swingeing rises in their charges.
I sell on ebay and the high charges have all but killed things eg a book-price 2.50 .
2.60 postage UK mainland and for many customers its not worthwhile.
A parcel to SA between 14.08-66 for first 1000gms.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 4th Aug 2012, 12:40pm) *
Just for your info Dave Royal Mail recently made swingeing rises in their charges.
I sell on ebay and the high charges have all but killed things eg a book-price 2.50 .
2.60 postage UK mainland and for many customers its not worthwhile.
A parcel to SA between 14.08-66 for first 1000gms.

We never send anything of value by post in SA because it is almost guarenteed to go missing, thats why I have any items bought over the internet delivered by courier, any presents to or from family in Glasgow we normally wait until somebody is going over on holiday and give it to them.
tamhickey
Dave, why don't you email Partick Thistle and explain your quandary? They might send you one gratis as you are promoting the team abroad and Thistle could do with more fans.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 6th Aug 2012, 09:57am) *
They might send you one gratis

You're having a laugh Tam laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th Aug 2012, 11:39am) *
You're having a laugh Tam laugh.gif

Glad you never said the article to go through the post had no real value laugh.gif
wee davy
You can send me 14 and I'll think about buying wan, and sending it oot lol
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (wee davy @ 6th Aug 2012, 12:25pm) *
You can send me 14 and I'll think about buying wan, and sending it oot lol

Ah think yur tryin tae sell me a Pirate Thistle jersey, no a Partick Thistle wan.

The Jags website has them on sale at 35 quid ohmy.gif wink.gif
Dave Grieve
Now that we are back to the real thing will the powers that be carry on with their promise to improve the game in Scotland, first thing I would like to see is a bigger Spl with perhaps even a SPL2 and all the other clubs from the highland league teams to other teams that have tried to join the SFL recently being allowed in to form as many leagues as is needed regional or otherwise.
Why cant we have a similiar system to England where it is possible to drop out of the league and be replaced by one of the smaller clubs

Lastly please, please, please, lets get back to one controlling body looking out for the good of Scottish football.
Jim D
I agree with most of your statement. One body for all of the leagues. This would mean a number being disbanded. I can foresee problems. Many a dummy being spat out of the pram. biggrin.gif
Mathieson
Great turnout at Ibrox this evening for the League Cup tie against East Fife.

And a nice little earner for the Fifers, managed by ex-gers man Gordon Durie. thumbup.gif
irrie
A heavy defeat for Dundee Utd. 5 0 not good for our co efficient or whatever its called.
JAGZ1876
I was looking forward to the game after watching them easily beating Hibs on Sunday, but they were totally outplayed tonight, no surprise really when you consider the money Dynamo have to spend on players, 15 million on one player alone.
Mathieson
QUOTE (irrie @ 9th Aug 2012, 08:27pm) *
A heavy defeat for Dundee Utd. 5 0 not good for our co efficient or whatever its called.

Yeah, a real blow for the SPL, what a shame.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (irrie @ 9th Aug 2012, 08:27pm) *

More an indication of how much Scottish football has to change, Surely if a rule was brought in that 75% of a team fielded had to be home grown talent that would not be breaking any rule?

I know it would mainly apply to teams in the SPL but they are the ones importing foreign players anyway
Dave Grieve
Hearts and Motherwell found out their next opponents in the Europa Cup with Hearts coming up against Liverpool, should be a really good tie for all Jamtarts supporterters.

Motherwell have been drawn against Spanish team Levante.

Good luck to both Scottish sides.

Dave Grieve
Dont know if anybodies aware but theres a BIG Glasgow derby on tonight Queens Park v Partick Thistle both teams unbeaten so far. thumbup.gif
irrie
Always aware when the Jags are playing Dave. Cheers
Dave Grieve
According to a BBC Scotland story Dundee Utd have reported a net profit of 1.449 million pounds. Their chairman says the SPL is thriving and the absence of Rangers has not had huge effect on Dundee Utd.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 27th Oct 2012, 06:44am) *
According to a BBC Scotland story Dundee Utd have reported a net profit of 1.449 million pounds. Their chairman says the SPL is thriving and the absence of Rangers has not had huge effect on Dundee Utd.

I don't think his idea of thriving and mine are the same thing Dave, although he is correct about his club not missing The Rangers as unlike when the old firm visit they had a full house when Dundee came calling.
Mathieson
This net profit was reported for the financial year which ended prior to this season commencing so the Rangers factor still counted.
As for this season, Thompson himself admitted that only United got lucky when Dundee came up and that the other teams have not fared as well. Hardly a sign that the SPL is thriving. It is most definitely not.
Mathieson
Further to Dundee United's supposed wealthy status, they are now selling match balls on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUNDEE-UNITED-Vs...K-/121013742253

I take it the bid for 100,100 was from a Dees fan. laugh.gif
Mathieson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20219448
Mathieson
Ahead of Wednesday's meeting of the SFL and it's member clubs to discuss league reconstruction in Scotland, BBC Scotland gave a sneak preview of some of the proposals this evening.

Under the present proposals, the league would become three divisions, the top division being increased to 16 teams, the second would have 10 teams and the third would have 18 teams, including Rangers and Celtic reserve teams.

For the SPL's part, they can only vote through reconstruction with a 11-1 majority at present and it is believed they are unlikely to consent at this point. The fact is though that a significant proportion of the SPL clubs are in very severe financial difficulty and they may not have too strong a bargaining position.

At any rate, the proposals are as much a first step to opening negotiations but whatever decision is arrived at, it needs to be arrived at soon. Be prepared for a lot of tough horse-trading.

Whatever happens, it is likely to signal the death knell of the SPL, which would fulfill Charles Grreen's prophesy that Rangers would never play in it again.
Dave Grieve
Sounds like a start in the right direction but doesnt go far enough, should be a rule enforcing the number of home grown (British) players to be at least 8 on the field.
Mathieson
A new financial reality will ensure that happens, whether the clubs want it or not.
Doug1
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 7th Aug 2012, 02:02pm) *
Now that we are back to the real thing will the powers that be carry on with their promise to improve the game in Scotland, first thing I would like to see is a bigger Spl with perhaps even a SPL2 and all the other clubs from the highland league teams to other teams that have tried to join the SFL recently being allowed in to form as many leagues as is needed regional or otherwise.
Why cant we have a similiar system to England where it is possible to drop out of the league and be replaced by one of the smaller clubs

Lastly please, please, please, lets get back to one controlling body looking out for the good of Scottish football.

Well said Dave. Lets just hope the powers to be can for once all agree to a new more modern structure that will make the game more interesting and please the majority of fans
A Mackinnon
Don't think there is any doubt that Scottish football is going to be revamped, and soon! There will be a number of formats proposed before hopefully they come up with one that will revive Scottish football and bring the fans back.

Also, must fully agree with Dave in that we should have only ONE governing body in charge of all football in Scotland, why a wee country like Scotland needs three is beyond me. I would suggest that it should be called the SFA....end of!!
Mathieson
Thompson resigns from SPL board

The prospect of Scotland’s top-flight clubs presenting a united front next week to accelerate a new league construction proposal evaporated yesterday when Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson resigned from the SPL board citing “professional differences”.

Although Thompson’s decision to step away from the six-man board had no direct link to the plans for two leagues of 12 that will be debated on Monday, the move has prompted fears that the SPL’s bid to revive Scottish football could be 
sidetracked.

Sources close to the United chairman have suggested that his anger over what he sees as heavy-handed treatment by a fellow SPL board member could threaten his presence at the discussions to be held at Hampden on Monday. Others within the SPL have expressed dismay at Thompson’s course of action at such a sensitive time, accusing him of over-reacting regarding a matter that was “not a resignation issue”. ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20512820
Mathieson
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdee...s-warn-experts/

...but the SPL is booming, dontcha know?
Mathieson
Don't know how representative this body is but here are there findings. Make of it what you will....

http://scottishfans.org/News/WhatFansWantL...nstruction.aspx
mitchell
Hey Mattie, Brechin are coming along nicely, since they have appointed a new manager.
wee davy
As we don't happen to have an italian Forum, I thought this one was the most appropriate one to post about this hardy fan from Udinese.
The Queen should give him wan ai them honorary knighthoods lol

REAL SUPPORT
JAGZ1876
At least he wouldn't have had a big queue for the pie stall or even heard the dreaded "Nae pie's left"

I wonder if the Sampdoria players boo'd him laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
We may well see the Jambos playing in the Third Division next season.
hubert
SFL blueprint
•16-team Premier Division
•Playing 30 games each
•Two relegation play-off spots
•Two teams automatically relegated

•10-team Championship
•Playing 36 games each
•Two automatic promotion spots
•Two promotion play-off spots
•Two teams automatically relegated
•One relegation play-off spot

•16-team First Division
•Playing 30 games each
•Two automatically promoted
•Three promotion play-off spots
•One pyramid relegation play-off spot
JAGZ1876
Better than the SPL's 12-12 effort but not much, i would prefer two divisions of 18 playing each other twice (Home and Away) automatic two up two down promotion/relegation, bottom club in second division relegated to be replaced by top non league club.

The existing bottom six of the present SFL go non league but can return through the pyramid system.

This system will give the bigger clubs an opportunity to blood young players against the so called smaller teams eliminating the fear of relegation, it wouldn't be perfect but it beats the present boring system.
Mathieson
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/dundee-...lang-for-idiot/ laugh.gif

Decency and board protocol prevents me from repeating what they mean when Nigerians call somebody a complete "Stephen Thompson". wub.gif
Mathieson
Best of luck mate, I hope things ease up in your personal life soon.....

"Annan Athletic: Harry Cairney resigns as manager after six years

Harry Cairney has resigned as manager of Annan Athletic, ending his second spell with the Third Division club after six years.
The 51-year-old cited family and health reasons, as well as recent poor results for his decision.
"In essence, I need to reduce my responsibilities and look after myself better than I am at present," he told Annan's website.
"The only way I can do this is to resign from my post at the club."
Continue reading the main story

At the moment, I am exhausted and need to recharge my batteries

Harry Cairney
Cairney and 10 first-team players had their arrival at Ibrox for their Division Three game against Rangers delayed by a broken down team bus on Tuesday.
And the part-timers' 3-0 defeat by the league leaders - Annan's fifth straight loss - proved to be his final game in charge.
''It is with much sadness but with no regrets that I have decided to resign from my post as manager of Annan Athletic Football Club," said Cairney, who had a previous one-year spell as Annan boss.
"In recent times, and I don't just mean the last month, I have found it very difficult to manage the time I spend with my family, my job and carrying out my duties as Annan Athletic manager.
"As a result I find it very difficult to switch off and relax and this has had a negative effect on my general health and well-being.
"The recent run of bad results has not made this any easier and I find myself worrying about football matters when I should be focusing on other areas of my life.
"At the moment, I am exhausted and need to recharge my batteries."
Cairney first took charge of Annan when they were in the East of Scotland League and has been manager since they were elected to the Scottish Football League in 2008.
They lost in a promotion play-off final to Albion Rovers in 2011 and Cairney also led them to two Challenge Cup semi-finals.
However, they have slipped down to eighth place in Division Three this season.
"As you know, results usually change for the good when a manager departs a club and I am sure this will also be the case at Annan Athletic," Cairney added.
The club have yet to make a statement about the departure. Assistant manager Euan Brydson will take charge of the team for this weekend's match away to East Stirlingshire."
hubert
Spiers on Sport: by winter break, SPL has been surprisingly good
Graham Spiers.

Every time I see Terry Butcher I am reminded that, in fact, the Scottish Premier League is not a bad table to feast at.
Butcher, capped 77 times for England, and having played in front of huge crowds in some of the greatest football arenas in the world, can hardly stop raving about SPL life this season.

"I love it," the Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager breathlessly told the BBC. "I think it [the SPL] is a fantastic product."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport...good.1357205187
Mathieson
You have to admire Big Tel's loyalty, not just to his club but to the city of Inverness as a whole. However, I am afraid the big fella is deluding himself. The SPL is nothing but a cakewalk for Celtic and no-one is kidded otherwise. Yes, we all agreed that the SPL has been poor and jaded for some years now but suddenly when it has gone from a 2 horse race to a 1 horse race, it's a roaring success? Come on.

Others note the falling season ticket sales, the reduced match day attendances, and the plummeting Sky viewing figures and call it totally different to Terry.
Sky money, and revenue from other sources, to the SPL has already dropped very significantly and will drop further when any new contract is to be reviewed and the poor viewing figures are taken into account.

Think on this : If it was such a success, would the SPL board be feverishly trying to restructure it?
Mathieson
... and BTW, where exactly is SPL head Neil Doncaster? And SFA chief executive Rhegan for that matter?

For the first half of 2012 they were in our faces daily with their own peculiar slant on all things fitba, and non-fitba, related issues but for the past 6 months each has been conspicuous by his absence as the Scottish game falters.
I seem to remember they were out there threatening, cajoling, lying, bribing, bullying and blackmailing every single week up until the start of this season. Since then.....nothing.

It is my sincere hope that when the necessary reconstruction comes along these two hand-picked eejits are shown the door - for good.
Doug1
Football not good in Dingwall right now as County have had to postpone 2 matches due to a seriously waterlogged pitch. One of the games would have been another local Derby with Caly Thistle visiting. I suppose the pitch problem takes our mind of our dismal position in the table sad.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 3rd Jan 2013, 11:10pm) *
rI suppose the pitch problem takes our mind of our dismal position in the table sad.gif

Chin up Doug, there are lot's of SFL clubs (my own included) who would love to swap County's "Dismal" league position, i know any time we got promotion to the SPL finishing in the spot above the relegated team was always looked upon as a good first season in the top flight.

Just be happy you have the unlucky Dundee in the league to take the fear of relegation away from the Staggies, so enjoy yourself thumbup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.