Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locked Topics
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Technical Support
seamus1954
General Question When does a post become locked???
GG
Hi Seamus,

There a number of reasons: when a newer topic takes over the subject of the topic, usually when there is a significant development in the news related to the topic; when the discussion becomes unproductive; sometimes, when a topic starter asks for the discussion to be closed. There are other reasons also.

GG.
seamus1954
Dear GG , thank you for the clairification when I looked it appeared that all my topics were locked thought I was in trouble there Seamus
TeeHeeHee
You are! tongue.gif laugh.gif
kenb
nice to see you back thh tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Thanks Ken wink.gif
I'm never far away tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
I must share my disappointment here.
"Pope Benedict Resigns"
Well that's another topic locked.
I'm not surprised since some folks seem to think that certain topics are there to be used as personal punch bags - rather than discussion platforms - where anything goes.
I read the last number of entries on the above mentioned locked topic and thought ~ Oh-Oh and found to my dismay that my fears were confirmed when I tried to post a request to cut out the crap before it gets shut down; too late of course.
Time magazine's new issue today had an interesting Title Page -

The Once And Future Pope

The New Politics Of The Catholic Church

I feel sure that this item may have added an additional interest to the above mentioned locked topic since new politics in the RC Church could be a direct result of the media attention over the recent scandals but I dare say the Catholics Vs Anti-Catholic monster would have raised it's ugly head again and the topic would have met it's fate one way or the other.
Sad really when the only way to make a point in a discussion topic is to have it closed down.
Raise a glass however to a victory for the button-pressers of cencorship.
Prost!
serabash
thh a do hope your not calling me a monster laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
The monster has many heads Sera - cut one off and two more take it's place.
An easy way to have a topic locked is to drop enough bait to get some members snapping leaving the moderator with no option than to close ít down before it turns into a slagging match - as happened within a short number of posts near the end of that one.
Don't allow yourself to be baited. I fell for it too and got a reprimand for that on Thursday. I should have taken a page out of my own book and thought for a minute before replying in a manner which I thought was relatively OK but was enough to either ring a bell for the moderator, or have some one pressing the report button.
GG knows the score - but unlike a God, he must stick to his own rules.
kenb
wot he said

very wel said tee

tongue.gif
serabash
I understand what you are saying thh, although I find it interesting that GG sticking to his own rules removes posts but leaves the last word on the topic to be in my eyes a very rude one. I think there may be rules for some but different for others. only my opinion of course rolleyes.gif .
TeeHeeHee
I am not privvy to GG's thinking but perhaps the last word left on such a topic is his way of indicating that this is what lead to the topic being locked.
I imagine it can't be easy moderating a board of this size and I can also imagine; because I don't know otherwise, that GG has a day job which he must concentrate on.
To log on here after he's probably had his tea in the evening and find dozens of Red Flags from people who can't argue their corner ...
A'd be drappin' ma heid oan ma desktop in his case laugh.gif
Don't get me wrong tho', I'm not in support of cencorship nor do I know GG personally and I think he was wrong to close the topic in the light of new information which is surfacing about the possible reasons behind the Pope's resignation; granted at 85 years of age it might all just be too much for him to handle on a personal basis but he has his big team to do the graft for him, but the way the topic went at the end it was inevitable that it would be closed.

And it won't be the last!

Your opinions are valued, like those of all members; including myself I hope, but opinions should be tempered with consideration for the vast amount of oldies among the membership who might be easily offended; or less enlightened.
Martin has stated often enough that we should make more use of the "Preview Post" button which gives us the opportunity to see the post as it comes up on the topic - and see typos we've made.
On the short reply, if we click on "Options" the "Preview Post" is shown as one of them.
serabash
I doubt my views are welcome thh as they continually being removed. Iit seems only the the oldies you talk about with fingers on the button have right on their side.
TeeHeeHee
If you approach your replies with less aggression and a bit more thought then you're leaving it up to the others to be aggressive ... and you can push the button - if you've a mind to. wink.gif
serabash
sorry I didn't realise I was being aggresive , must be because I am my daddies daughter I don't see it.
on the button, that's just not my style I will leave that for those that feel unable to post their thoughts on the threads.
TeeHeeHee
My oldest daughter is also aggressive; when riled, but she shoots from the hip.
serabash
I am in good company then wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
Only if you can really fight with your fists; as she can, and win wink.gif
serabash
well a would never start it but I would also never back down either. aye am my daddies daughter right enough rolleyes.gif
Dylan
You are not aggresive Serabash.

You Post without fear or favour.

Some of us accept this as fair and reasonable and your inalienable right.

Do not change.
wee davy
Frankly, I would have never thought a topic about locked topics, attracting this much comment!
I think GG has more than made himself clear on the issue.
A topic often gets discarded or 'dies a death' because people are intolerant of others views, refuses to consider aspects of another members argument
- or becomes abusive, either personally or collectively.

Whats in the past is in the past, and should remain.

Theres always an oppportunity to express yourself courteously one hopes, at a later date.

PS an apology is not a sign of weakness - but strength.

PPS Fancy you advizing a 'do not change' approach to posting, Dylan lol
serabash
the past should not be left in the past davy, we should learn from the mistakes of the past and not allow them to happen again.
wee davy
Learn from our mistakes, certainly. But no amount of dwelling upon past topics on a discussion board are going to sort out the worlds problems. We must always move on - or there is no progress, sera.

I think we all know you have very strong views you have no need to show
us your propensity for that. Proof is not required. But discussion is a share of views and ideas.
Not a bare knuckle boxing match.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (wee davy @ 24th Feb 2013, 11:26am) *
A topic often gets discarded or 'dies a death' because people are intolerant of others views, refuses to consider aspects of another members argument
- or becomes abusive, either personally or collectively.

Are YOU talkin' to me? --- Are you TALKIN' to me? ... Are you talkin' to ME?

... Oh ... Sorry wee man, a thought A wis oan the Film Quotes topic. tongue.gif
'ave a nice one Davy,
<3 from me an' ra gang. biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (serabash @ 24th Feb 2013, 11:31am) *
the past should not be left in the past davy, we should learn from the mistakes of the past and not allow them to happen again.

... and try not to let them happen again ...
It's not always easy Sera - on a hard road wink.gif
serabash
QUOTE (wee davy @ 24th Feb 2013, 11:43am) *
Learn from our mistakes, certainly. But no amount of dwelling upon past topics on a discussion board are going to sort out the worlds problems. We must always move on - or there is no progress, sera.

I think we all know you have very strong views you have no need to show
us your propensity for that. Proof is not required. But discussion is a share of views and ideas.
Not a bare knuckle boxing match.

the bare knuckle boxing davy was brought about by a mob mentality doing there best and it worked to have that topic closed. maybe you should look elsewhere for the blame.
I also don't have a problemsaying sorry when I believe I am in the wrong. so I have said I am sorry to thh for being partly responsible for having his topic closed. I trust you and the others will do the same.
TeeHeeHee
Sera, the topic was heading for closure long before you threw your hat in the ring. No need to apologise ... especially to me and especially in this cyber reality which a lot of folks see as a real world.
Now Lara Croft, that was a real world to me ... where you met real bullies and ogres laugh.gif
serabash
Thank you Tomi.
TeeHeeHee
Nae bother wink.gif
I noticed a new expression; for me anyway, among those PMs ... " Bloom off" biggrin.gif
I'll have to make use of that now when the occasion arises. tongue.gif
wee davy
If ye think yer gettin a thank you frae me, ye've goat another thing comin'
tongue.gif wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
Jist click "Like" Davy ... Ohh naw, wrang website agaen. laugh.gif
Daftjimmy
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you must not criticize.
Francois-Marie Arouet
( Voltaire )
Dylan
What has happened to the " New " Pope Thread ???
serabash
maybe it's been brushed under the carpet rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
... or maybe it was destined to be locked after the hint wasn't taken when the previous topic was.
Being removed completely though is unusual so it must have been getting out of control near the end; which I missed.
Ask Martin: I'm sure he'll tell you.
I'm sure the answer can be quite easily guessed at.
It would be nice to assume that lessons might be taken from these two instances, though I doubt that very much.
Ho humm. rolleyes.gif
Samantha
Unless I missed the ending I would imagine it was more to do with uncalled for posts like number 34 of this thread. yes.gif
john.mcn
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 1st Mar 2013, 10:40pm) *
... or maybe it was destined to be locked after the hint wasn't taken when the previous topic was.
Being removed completely though is unusual so it must have been getting out of control near the end; which I missed.
Ask Martin: I'm sure he'll tell you.
I'm sure the answer can be quite easily guessed at.
It would be nice to assume that lessons might be taken from these two instances, though I doubt that very much.
Ho humm. rolleyes.gif

It was destined to be locked the minute you posted it wink.gif

Maybe we should all have a limited 'report' uses a week/month, that way the sensitive cant dictate what others wish to discuss.
As i've said before people do not need to read what they dont like, if something offends read something else.
GG
John, sorry but that is absolutely not the way these boards run. Posters will stick to the rules of the boards, while also being considerate, proportionate, and empathetic to the feelings and opinions of others.

GG.
john.mcn
My apologies GG, i based my opinion on several members views that the last thread should close, which it was. I've been a member of many forums(and moderator too) where based on the report abuse button being abused threads were just locked or deleted because it was too much time consuming and hassle to police. Again i apologise if this was not the case.

In a city like Glasgow where we could argue is split on religion and football there will always be someone that finds offence in something said about one or the other, even discussing something like the Catholic church if you're not a catholic will annoy some.
Dylan
I think it is safe to assume that no prosecution will be brought against Cardinal O'Brien fo this lapse.

It is being discussed on Radio phone ins and widely reported in the Media.
serabash
Yes I don't understand why we cannot discuss it when we could discuss the Tommy Sheridan case before that went to court.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.