Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Council 'Jobs For The Boys'?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GG
The SNP yesterday condemned the appointement of a Labour ex-MSP to a 50,000 job with Labour-run Glasgow City Council. Tom McCabe, who lost his Hamilton seat to an SNP candidate at the Holyrood election in 2011, has been appointed to the post of 'policy advisor' to Land and Environmental Services. The SNP claim the post is supposed to be a non-political role.

Graeme Hendry, SNP group leader on the council, claimed that this was yet another example of "jobs for the boys". Mr Hendry added:

"Glasgow Labour's murky history is clearly not in the past after appointing a failed Labour politician to a post that is supposed to be politically neutral.

Not only is he a former Labour minister, he also ran the council campaign in Glasgow and has aligned himself to ensure he gets a top spot.

Earning a reported salary of just under 50,000 a year is yet another slap in the face to the people of Glasgow. The list of incompetence and jobs for the boys goes on.

I've raised my concerns with the chief solicitor at the council.

Tom McCabe has mastered the art of golden handshakes and has been handsomely rewarded for his part in the council campaign.

This post is supposed to be non-political – what assurances can he make to the people of Glasgow that he will not be putting his allegiances to Labour first?"

James Dornan, SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, said:
"The people of Glasgow will be watching this appointment with interest given the recent spate of retirements and redundancies.

It certainly appears that once again Glasgow Labour is using council taxpayers' money for party political purposes."

Does the SNP have a valid point? Or does the experience and knowledge of the former MSP and minister make him a valuable addition to an important part of the city administration?

GG.
martin murray
Surely he would have to have been interviewed and had the qualifications for the post?
Jupiter
In a case like this surely it would be appropriate for the vacancy to be advertised on the open market in order to draw a good cross section of candidates.
In answer to the question I believe the SNP has a valid point in trying to establish that a proper selection procedure was carried out.
*CAMPSIE*
I no longer live in Glasow so I am unfamiliar with lococal government issues, but the principle are the same for all government or should be. We had a similar case with our district council which is like Glasgow a large council and were told the appointment was in an advisorary capacity only. We the people of the district were not buying it and revolted, eventually the council conceded the post was surplus tp requirements on further investigation. But are we really surprised by the 'Jobs for the Boys' you only have to look at Tony Blairs time in government where it was blatantly rife, as like in anything people are led by example and Tony gave a very bad example, so much so it continues today, if he got away with it why shouldn't we, I can hear them say. i rest my case!
campsie
There should be no 'No Jobs for the Boys' but are we really surprised that it goes on! You just have to look at Tony Blairs government there wa a prime example of 'Jobs for the Boys' and it continues today because the thinking is if he could get away with it why shouldn't we. Good and Bad leadership starts at the top so if it is broke look at the top and get it fixed.
JAGZ1876
The people of Glasgow voted for no change, that's exactly what their getting.
Jupiter
jagz what has this got to do with this man getting a job?
Are you making a point?
*donald*
He lost his seat because his policies were rubbish. Labour has no politics it just a career opportunity for numpties.
mlconnelly
Jagz, I get your point but as one of the people of Glasgow, I can assure you that I most definitely voted for change. The Labour party have been getting away with this behaviour for years. Don't understand why anyone is surprised by the fact that this is still going on. Oh.. thats right , they promised change if they got voted back in. Mary
Jupiter
What is going on?Has this man been appointed irregularly?Is it a shoo in?
It may be the case that the proper procedure has been carried out.
Does anyone know?
mlconnelly
I would assume a semblence of proper procedure was followed Jupiter, probably just enough to cover the legalities and to keep everything right should ever questions be asked. As always this is all speculation and I have no way to prove or disprove that this was a case of "jobs for the boys" but Jupiter have you got proof that its not? Mary
ashfield
Perhaps that's the point, what proof is there of wrongdoing. Are there only certain types of job that this guy is allowed to do? I would be happier if the SNP could provide some evidence that procedures have not been followed before making accusations. Otherwise it just smacks of the old "if there's smoke, there's fire" rhetoric and mischief making.
Jupiter
Mary Ive only read what GG put on.Its all speculative.If there is any malpractice in the appointment
then the SNP man will probably find out.If the legalities have been covered matter sorted. rolleyes.gif
chas1937
As long as people vote for a Labour Council we will have this going on all the time and for years it's always been same.Time we had new party in power in Glasgow as certainly couldn't be any worse that Labour
Jupiter
Chas what exactly is it thats going on?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 21st Jul 2012, 02:45pm) *
jagz what has this got to do with this man getting a job?
Are you making a point?

I am making a point Jupiter, and the point is that the people who voted Labour back into power (i know you didn't Mary) knew exactly what they were getting in return, party and self interest first public second, Bullish and threatening behaviour, nepotism and of course the current debate Cronyism.

The ex Labour minister Tom McCabe got interviewed for the job as policy advisor to Land and Environmental services in Glasgow City Council, a job that pays a salary of almost 50,000, a job that he was awarded less than 24 hours after being interviewed, a job that's supposed to be non-political, will he be able to put the interests of the people of Glasgow before the interests of the Labour party?

Jobs for the boys.....You bet, but if the council can prove that this was all above board and that the post was advertised and how many other applicants were interviewed, then i shall eat humble pie and apologise on this board
bilbo.s
"Jobs for the boys.....You bet, but if the council can prove that this was all above board and that the post was advertised and how many other applicants were interviewed, then i shall eat humble pie and apologise on this board" Jagz

That would prove absolutely nothing. Many years ago I worked for a nationalised company, who circulated all posts vacant on a weekly basis. It was common knowledge that decisions were made long before the sham interviews were held. I can vouch for this, a I applied for quite a few and was granted interviews, although I had no chance. On the other hand, on the occasions where I did get promotions, I was told by my superiors to make my application. I doubt that things have changed.
Jupiter
JAGZ,very interesting post and Im glad you have put these additional facts re the interview and appointment.You appear to be more aux fait with issues such as bullying and threats as well as Cronyism.I think the SNP will keep the pressure on so it might be a case of watch this space.
Doug1
I must be very naive cos i thought jobs for the boys was pretty well established in politics and especially local politics, quangos and all that sort of stuff. For 50,000 quid i would have thought there would have been a long queue ootside the city chambers of well qualified folks keen to take on this job. However just maybe this guy is good, time will tell, but it sure as hell looks pretty dubious and i would tend to agree with the snp
droschke7
SNP are just annoyed that one of Their guys didn't get the job
Jupiter
Is that what it is ?
droschke7
Been thinking about this, at the last election less than 45% of scots voted, the SNP got about 40% of those votes this means that less than 20% of the country voted for the SNP and they are "running" the country? I think they have a damned cheek complaining about anything.
Jupiter
I dont think they are complaining merely asking for an explanation in order to clear up an issue of public concern/interest.
bilbo.s
I assume that Droschke thinks that one of the other parties with lower results should be running the country. I do not expect unbiased views on this board, and he has not disappointed me.

Is he assuming that the large percentage of non-voters were of his political persuasion ? If so, why did they not exercise their right ? Are they incapable of making a simple "X"? rolleyes.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/election...ml/scotland.stm

See above voting statistics.

I apologise for being off-topic but a big boy started it and ran away ! laugh.gif
seamus1954
Ahh , something That We also have Here , First of all power corrupts Complete power corrupts Completely , Nepotism ,cronyism and a favorite we have in America Lobyists Has ANYone ever seen a poor Politician ??? Those in power tend to weild that power forgetting those that put them in power untill Election time then lip service is given the populace who buy what they want to hear ,even with all that I think Freedom is the absolute greatest gift we have ,Our Politicans have Lifetime government paid Health Care package ,plus all the other perks that have "FOUND their way to them We had one Politican claim that he could NOT provide for His Family because after the expences He was left with ONLY 200.000 USD to live on !!!!!!!!!!! true story "things that make you go HUMM" In My OPINION Politicians are as crooked as a dog's hind leg
Jimmuck
Spit it out lads and lassies, it's not exactly as 'Jobs for the boys' folks, it's 'jobs for the bhoys' typical for Glasgow's Labour party history ....... when did the Labour Party come into its own in Glasgow?

When they filled the city up with the Oirish' and grew on their votes.
This is not something new for Glasgow, for I, myself, born and bred in Springburn, applied for a flat in the the New Sighthill towers.... funnily enough, my wife's cousin, a Catholic from Coatbridge was given one and us?? Nada!

My parents were Glasgow born and bred, all of us.

Just my experience and opinion, if it's not YOUR experience? it most certainly is mine.
*Caledonia*
Well bless my poor Auld Oirish soul! Still being denigrated by the "Pure Born" of Glasgow. Two whole generations you must be very proud. My non Irish granny told me of her family being exiled to France for fechtin fur Cherlie. My Orish grand fathers spending all their lives in Glasgow except when fighting in Flanders fields, would have been proud to know that they were dragged screaming by Labour, to the temple of the Holy Bigot, Glasgow in order to boost their votes. What history book did you skim over in a wet afternoon?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 21st Jul 2012, 07:16pm) *
SNP are just annoyed that one of Their guys didn't get the job

Like i mentioned droschke7, the post is a non-political position, so the SNP would have advised against any party member applying for the job (providing anyone knew the post was available) to avoid a conflict of interest scenario like the one we are now witnessing.
GG
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 22nd Jul 2012, 02:05am) *
Spit it out lads and lassies, it's not exactly as 'Jobs for the boys' folks, it's 'jobs for the bhoys' typical for Glasgow's Labour party history ....... when did the Labour Party come into its own in Glasgow?

When they filled the city up with the Oirish' and grew on their votes.
This is not something new for Glasgow, for I, myself, born and bred in Springburn, applied for a flat in the the New Sighthill towers.... funnily enough, my wife's cousin, a Catholic from Coatbridge was given one and us?? Nada!

My parents were Glasgow born and bred, all of us.

Just my experience and opinion, if it's not YOUR experience? it most certainly is mine.

Jimmuck, this is just the kind of unsubstantiated musings which detract from the main topic and can spoil a decent discussion of the facts. It may well have been your experience that your wife's cousin got a flat in Sighthill, but you give no evidence to support your 'hunch' that the allocation was down to her religion. Perhaps she had a family – the flats were mainly family accommodation – and you were a single man? There could be any amount of reasons but, instead, you appear to have drawn a conclusion based on an apparent bias in your thinking. If you have evidence that new housing allocation in Glasgow during the 60s and 70s was driven by a policy of gerrymandering, then please point us to the source.

As fas as I can see, in this topic, the main issue is whether the due process of post creation, post advertising, and candidate evaluation took place prior to selection. I'd imagine that that should be fairly simple to establish.

GG.
GG
This story is covered today in the Scotland on Sunday and the Sunday Mail.

Glasgow Tory councillor David Meikle commented:
"This whole thing stinks and we need answers."

A council spokesman said:
"Mr McCabe was interviewed by two directors, one the council’s most senior lawyers and it is not appropriate to criticise their conduct in this way."

Also, according to the Sunday Mail:
"There have been 400 redundancies at Glasgow City Council over the past two years [targeted at all staff over 50], with redundancy packages costing up to 12.4million."

GG.
Jupiter
So the media has got a grip on this story and no doubt we will find out if this is a shoo-in or whether the man was properly interviewed and selected on the grounds of his suitability for the position.
fourbytwo
Living within this totally corrupt and immoral Glasgow, I am surprised to see these posts of amazement from contributors.....
For years and years Labour "puppets" have been getting these 'rewards' from their ex-colleagues, in particular, good party members, getting themselves onto the many Quangos created by the Council.
The modern way of continuing these 'bribes for service' is the new 'Jobs for Boys' whereby Council Services like Libraries, Art Funding, Community Projects, etc, etc, are now run by at arms length Committees, made up from.....you guessed it, ex-councillors and current councillors, all feeding from the cash trough, only this time hidden from the public, as private groups...
Glasgow Council has been run by these cowboys for years, so surprise is not an option, disgust that we allow it.....that's more like it....!
angel
Being a fully paid up member of a political party, etc. will usually help in getting that person a job.
Jupiter
Fourbytwo you make a sweeping generalisation denegrating the politicians who over the years have made our city the great place it is.All I would say to you is this,open a different topic,name it "Corrupt Glasgow Politicians" and name them .Otherwise with respect give us a break; we are talking about one man getting one job here and absolutely no proof at this time of any wrongdoing.
bilbo.s
Joop, Just because Fourbytwo has no evidence of corruption, do you believe that the corruption does not exist? Just wondering. Are you merely angered by his unsubstantiated claims, or are you angered that someone could think such a thing, because all our politicians are pure of heart?
Jupiter
Corruption does exist.
Not angry.
Each to his own opinions ; on a forum such as this I think its fair to question/respond to whats posted.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Jul 2012, 07:23pm) *
Each to his own opinions ; on a forum such as this I think its fair to question/respond to whats posted.

Absolutely agree. I just wanted to clarify whether you objected to unsubstantiated claims, or were denying the possibility that they could be true, even if not proven.
droschke7
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st Jul 2012, 08:46pm) *
I assume that Droschke thinks that one of the other parties with lower results should be running the country. I do not expect unbiased views on this board, and he has not disappointed me.

Is he assuming that the large percentage of non-voters were of his political persuasion ? If so, why did they not exercise their right ? Are they incapable of making a simple "X"? rolleyes.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/election...ml/scotland.stm

See above voting statistics.

I apologise for being off-topic but a big boy started it and ran away ! laugh.gif

I don't think any of the other party's should be ruling, what i do think is that voting should be compulsary as it is in (I think) Australia and some American states. 20% of the vote does not give Alex Salmond the right to speak for the whole of Scotland, just for the SNP.
GG
Another aspect of this story is that the same department to which Mr McCabe was appointed has just axed two Commonwealth Games apprentices, two years before the Commonwealth Games actually take place in the city.

In response, a joint union spokesman said:
"The Unions confirm that we were not consulted regarding this post, and the filling of new posts is an issue we will be discussing with the employer in due course.

While the unions welcome new jobs being created, it is our hope that jobs will be found for our members who are Commonwealth Games apprentices who have been advised that they will leave the Council next month."

That said, Mr McCabe was never going to be popular with unions after he suggested a few years ago that the number of councils in Scotland should be halved from the present number, claiming that having 32 of each council department was "as good as impossible to justify".

The council department in which the 50,000 per year post was created is is responsible for road repairs, rat-catching and bin collections.

GG.
Dun Stoshious
Is there some crisis of identity at work here? Glasgow; exempt from corruption that exists in every corporation, government controlled authority, any and every political organization. Whatever the Glaswegians were ever to be accused of, naivete was not a characteristic when I was native dweller in said fair city.
Jimmuck
How clever of **caledonia** to assume that because I mentioned only my mother and father, that I was a second generation Scot. Without typing out my genealogy chart, outlining my Reid family from Kirkton of Durris in the 1600's, I sadly assumed that my indignation would have been understood to come from a Scot.

G.G. I try very hard not to make unsubstantiated comments. YES! I was married, way back then, with a family. The family in question had NO Family Ties to Glasgow, 'cept maybe a 'Labour contact' on the Cooncil?

'caledonia' pal, good on your ancestors for appreciating their new country and toting a gun in it's defence, otherwise you might not have been here to assume the non-de-plume; 'caledonia' how sweet.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 22nd Jul 2012, 10:15pm) *
I don't think any of the other party's should be ruling, what i do think is that voting should be compulsary as it is in (I think) Australia and some American states. 20% of the vote does not give Alex Salmond the right to speak for the whole of Scotland, just for the SNP.

I doubt if you would allow Alex Salmond that right, even if he had 90% of the vote.

Do I take it that you are in favour of a coalition, or maybe just anarchy ?

I do have some sympathy for your point on compulsory voting, however.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 22nd Jul 2012, 09:15pm) *
20% of the vote does not give Alex Salmond the right to speak for the whole of Scotland, just for the SNP.

That's the way democracy works, just ask David Cameron.
droschke7
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Jul 2012, 10:19am) *
That's the way democracy works, just ask David Cameron.

I stil haven't met someone who voted for "call Me Dave "either
john.mcn
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 23rd Jul 2012, 03:53pm) *
I stil haven't met someone who voted for "call Me Dave "either

Try down in his constituency, seeing as they are the only ones who can vote for him you'd have better luck.
GG
More instances of the story have been published:
It’s the never ending story that seems to appear again and again. Glasgow Council and the apparent impunity that protects the authority’s ruling Labour group from typical media scrutiny.

The latest story to emerge from this scandal hit local authority involves the recruitment of a former Labour Minister to the role of policy advisor to the council’s Land and Environmental Services department.

Tom McCabe is the former Labour MSP in question and the decision to place him on the payroll to the tune of almost 50,000 per year has caused anger. ...

Full story here:
http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scott...glasgow-council

One year after losing his seat and salary as an MSP, former Labour minister Tom McCabe has been employed by Labour-run Glasgow Council as a ‘policy manager’ on a salary of nearly 50,000 a year.

Though purported to be a non-political role working for the Council’s Land and Environmental Services, McCabe does not appear to be an obvious choice of candidate, leading to accusations that it is his ties to the Labour party which secured him his employment.

Mr McCabe’s appointment which has not yet been formally announced has been met by outrage by Graeme Hendry, leader of the Glasgow Council SNP group, who dismissed the decision to appoint the Labour figure as indicative of the parties’ underhand, “jobs for the boys” tactics. ...

Full story here:
http://www.scottishtimes.com/tom_mccabe_la...ow_city_council

GG.
GG
Letter to the Scotsman yesterday from a Mr Taylor in Fife, which covers some of the main concerns which need to be addressed:

When a former government minister is appointed to a key council post, there will inevitably be questions about probity. The appointment of Tom McCabe as policy manager in Glasgow Council's land and estates department will raise eyebrows. But the reaction of SNP group leader Graeme Hendry was too hasty.

The question he should be asking is not about assurances that Mr McCabe will not put allegiance to Labour first, it is whether the council's recruitment and selection policy was observed meticulously.

Once holding a senior position in the Holyrood administration should not be seen as a gateway to employment, but neither should it automatically be seen as a barrier.

Has Mr McCabe the experience, qualifications and insight to fulfil the duties of the post? Was he afforded the same courtesy and opportunity to apply for it as the other candidates? Can the interviewers give an absolute assurance that all candidates were considered on merit?

These are the points Mr Hendry should be concerned with. If the answer to all three is yes, he can have no complaint. Mr McCabe will be employed under the same code of conduct as other council employees. It will be for managers in Glasgow Council to determine whether he ever breaches it.

Local authorities throughout employ many people who are individual members of political parties. There is nothing wrong with that. The overwhelming majority know where to draw the line between professional judgment and political preference.

A public perception of "jobs for the boys" should concern any administration. It does need to be backed up by concrete evidence, however.

To deny Glasgow Council the services of Tom McCabe simply because of his political record would be counter-productive as well as questionable in terms of equal opportunity and civil liberty.

GG.
mlconnelly
What Mr Taylor says is very true but how will we ever know if Tom McCabe was employed on merit. He may well have gone through all the various stages of interview, dotting all the Is and crossing all the Ts, but how do we know they haven't just paid lip service to the proper procedures. Although we may never know for sure if this was a case of "jobs for the boys", I think we would be foolish if not naive to think it doesn't still happen or at least to be suspicious when situations like this arise. Mary
bilbo.s
Quite so, Mary. I think there is quite a bit of naivety here, or what I might call "deliberate naivety".
Jupiter
I would suggest any candidate for such a job paying 50k would be expected to have appropriate educational qualifications and extensive experience and managerial level in these fields.
According to Wiki McCABE obtained a Diploma(not degree) in public sector management,worked at Hoover 73-93 then in social work .MSP 99-2011 in various roles.
2012 appointed to post in question.
I would agree that SNP are correct in asking questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.