Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: City Bakeries Coffee & Paris Buns
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Tusker
When I was a kid in the 1950's, my Ma occasionally used to take me into the Springburn City Bakeries, opposite the swing park, at the foot of Balgaryhill, to buy some "teabreid". As a treat, I was usually allowed to select one (or maybe two if she was particularly flush that week!) of my favourite cakes or biscuits.

I had a hard time choosing between the coffee buns (they were actually more of a hard biscuit than a bun), the Paris buns (beautiful, soft, golden yellow peaked creations, sprinkled with rock sugar) the Empire biscuit (two sorta Digestive biscuits with jam between, topped with icing sugar and a half cherry mounted in the centre) and the "Fly Cemetries" (Currant squares -- Currants in a light syrup, sandwiched between two squares of light flaky, puff pastry, the top layer dusted with sugar.)

<Slurp> To continue......I always picked at least one "Fly Cemetry" because I knew my young sister wouldn't eat them if you tied her down and force-fed her. (My Uncle Nat told us the baker made them by pulling the wings off flies. Being kids, we believed him -- but I didn't really care. I was addicted before he told the story.) Not only that, I was a devious little sod too, as I knew that at home later, I could have either the coffee bun OR the Paris bun and leave my young sister to make her choice, knowing that MY Fly Cemetry was perfectly safe. <Evil chuckle.>

Anyway, to the point......I can purchase all of the above delicacies in Canada, with the exception of the Coffee Bun. Does anyone know the recipe, or can they duplicate the City Bakeries Coffee Bun? As I remember, it was flat, about 3"- 4" in diameter and 1/2" thick. Dark reddish-brown colour, hard and very crumbly, like an oversized biscuit, cracks across the top like a dry lakebed, and as dry as a stick. Looked kinda like a slightly burnt Farley's Rusk -- although it didn't taste anything like that! If you ate one without a drink, your cheeks would clap thegether forever. In a pinch, I'm sure they could be used as weapons, like a mini discus, they were so hard. I *loved* them!......Help.......Please?

If anyone can provide this recipe, they and their children will be feted in song and in fable, and blessed unto the 18th generation. Have pity! It's been over 35 years since I had one!.........
Scottish Anna
Hi, like you, I hadn't had one of these in years and then last week I found this recipe in a Lofty Peak Flour cook book I have had for over 35 years!

Coffee Buns

8 oz Self-Raising Flour
3 oz Block Margarine or Cooking Fat (I personally used butter)
3 oz Brown Sugar
1 Egg
Pinch of Salt
1 oz Currants (optional)
1 Dessertspoon Coffee Essence (Camp Coffee)
1 Tablespoon Milk

Heat oven to 200 degree C, 400 degree F or gas mark 6.

Sift flour. Cream fat, sugar, salt, egg and coffee essence. Add to flour and currants with the milk to form a stiff dough. Divide into twelve portions. Roll into balls and place on a baking tray (I use two trays and put six on each). Slightly flatten and brush over with egg and bake for 10 -15 minutes. Enjoy biggrin.gif
maryhillgal
Thanks for the recipe Scottishanna. Will have a go at making them, but can you still buy Camp Coffee, or Lofty Peak flour. I haven't seen the name Lofty Peak for ages. Gosh that brought back memories. My mum and dad used to drink Camp Coffee. I hated the smell of it and needless to say I never drink coffee of any kind.
Ayrshire
Thanks for the Coffee Bun recipe. I hope to make them soon. I am from Ayrshire, but live in the USA. I was wondering if any of you have the recipe for GREGG'S PINEAPPLE CAKES/TARTS. I love them and I miss them SO much! Much obliged...Ayrshire.
Dory
Can anyone help me to find a Lofty Peak Cook book that was published by the Scottish Co-operative Society? I actually have one (from the 1950's but it is in poor condition. I understand that it is out of print; however, please advise if you know where/how I can get another.

I am in Scotland every summer. (I left in 1961 and now live in New Jersey, USA)'

Dory
Shaz1678
Has anyone found a Lofty Peak Recipe Book? My granny used to have one and I wanted some of the recipes from it, mainly for rock cakes and melting moments. Live in Australia now, and the melting moments here are a completely differnt thing!
Heather
Shaz, my lofty Peak Book is long gone but here is a recipe from my Bero Flour Recipe Book.

Melting Moments

65g ( 2 1/2 oz ) margarine
40g ( 1 1/2oz) lard
73g ( 3 0z ) sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g ( 5oz self raising flour
1/2 egg
dessicated coconut
glace cherries.

Heat oven 180C. 350 F
For gas Mark 4

Cream margarine, lard & sugar until light & fluffy, beat in egg with vanilla essence.
Stir in flour and mix well
Roll into walnut sized peices of mixture into balls and toss in coconut.
Place on greased baking trays, flatten slightly and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit.
Bake for 10 - 15 minutes.

Rock Buns.

225g ( 8oz ) Self raising flour
100g ( 4oz ) margarine
75g ( 3oz ) mixed fruit
25g ( 10z ) mixed peel
50g ( 2oz ) caster sugar
1 medium egg.
Milk to mix

Heat oven 200c-400F
Gas Mark 6
Rub in flour and margarine
Stir in dried fruit, mixed peel and sugar.
Mix to a stiff dough with egg and milk
Place in rough heaps on baking tray and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.

DOLKIN
growing up in the 70s ans 80s in maryhill my fave place for a pie was city bakers loved them greasy heart attack pies world a lot fitter and pc now.
Chookie
Tusker....your poetic description of City Bakeries' joys has my mouth watering. My CB memories are of the shop in New City Road where my birthday treat was High Tea always including a perfect cream trifle in a wee fluted cardboard tray complete with little plastic spoon. See yon we spoon, I though it was so veddy Posh (note the capital P) . Heaven was mine on those days of very rare treats. Thanks for conjuring up lovely memories with your words.
Chookie
Just realized I've responded to Tusker's post of nearly eight years ago. laugh.gif
angel
don't worry Chookie , we'll no tell , I see you are still listening to the same old music .cheers biggrin.gif
marc
Hey all! i know its been YEARS since this discussion ended, but i really need your help if any of you are still active smile.gif

My mum LOVED Paris buns when she was little, as her grandad (who was Scottish) used to make them! we've been trying to find the recipe but nothing is similar....

I saw that you mentioned peaked Paris buns which is EXACTLY what mum describes, dome shaped golden cakes, a sweet bread dough, sticky like brioche and with icing on top of the cone/dome like a mountain. but all we can find online is flat bun shaped things.......

It'd be great if anyone has the recipe for Paris buns like this and if anyone has any idea how on earth to make them the tall dome shape she remembers!!

thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.