Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where In Glasgow Are You From?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
jakka13
Welcome to the boards Lorri.I'm from Partick .Boots will be glad to see someone else from Clydebank posting on here .
ricky1824
Born into 30 Gilmour St Oatlands 1946 then Cranhill married moved to Tollccoss Rd Been living in Baillieston some 30 odd years This apple never fell far from the tree.
Ricky
j.irvine bell
laugh.gif I was born at 171, Wellshot Road, Shettleston, opposite the library,where I lived until I married at the age of 22 when I moved to Rutherglen, then to Sevenoaks , Kent, Oban, Argyll , Port Charlotte, Islay and then back to the eastend to Springboig. My closeness to the Library gave me a love of books that has lasted all my life and I consider Tollcross Park as my childhood/teenage playground and garden. I went to Wellshot Primary and then to Eastbank Academy. I love the eastend but given a choice I have to say I would go back to Oban which has everything that I could want in a material sense. That is so long as my house has a garden which having been brought up in a tenement, is now my first love as a an activity. I still walk the dog in Tollcross park and although there have been a lot of changes each visit evokes memories of childhood and long lost friends. Where are you now David Jenkins, Alex Branch John Dewar?rolleyes.gif
brian432
QUOTE (lorri @ 6th Feb 2010, 01:15am) *
Born in Hardgate, Clydebank, famous for John Browns Shipyards and Singers sewing machines, areas round about are Faifley, Duntocher, Mountblow, Drumry, Drumchapel, Knightswood, Yoker and many others.

Welcome, my fathers family is from Duntocher. A lot stil live around the area. cool.gif
nessie80
thanks for responding, but I dont think we're connected. My sister's name is Jacqueline and does call herself Jackie, she is not married anymor but has lived with the same guy for about 15 years, his name is Don......maureen
james n bainy
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jul 2003, 04:11pm) *
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit about the place.

GG.

my family are the mchughs from dobies lone /garscube rd /denmark st my da is jimmy mchugh or spike as he was known in his hay days he will be 80 next saterday any-one remember the family and the shinnaniginns they got up to i was born above the nogg-inn garscube rd

Mrs L
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 24th Jan 2010, 04:10pm) *
Hi Alison ,welcome to these boards .I was born in Partick and lived my life there till in 1967 came to Canada with my husband and weans .I've got nieces in Glasgow but like you I don't know where .I've met enough friends on these boards to more than compensate for lost family who probably wouldn't know me from Adam laugh.gif .Join in pet ,go into Betty's and a real welcome will wait you there .Mind you ,you might have to take your turn at cleaning the stairs .Cheers Jakka

Born at 10 Gayfield St, off Scotia St which ran between Shamrock St and New City Road. Went to St Joseph's North Woodside Rd also St Cuthberts when we moved to Panmure St for a year. Then finished up at Garnethill Convent of Mercy. Married and lived at 263 Maryhill Rd for six years. Also moved to Canada in 1967 with my husband and two little girls (Charlie came out first and the children and I stayed with my parents in the Wynford for a couple of months) - but we came to the west coast - Vancouver. And, oh, do I remember taking my turn at 'daein' the sterrs"
We lived on the third floor and, as many mothers had to, bumped the pram down the close then ran upstairs to get the baby. Mmmm, I guess that's why I was so skinny then : )
Started a family tree and was so frustrated by the 'brick walls' that my grown up family sent me to Glasgow and Ireland for my retirement present on my 65th. My daughter came with me (to make sure I behaved myself) Everything was gone! The street where I was born; also Panmure St., the schools I attended; St Joseph's Church; the picture halls - Scotia St and Shamrock St where we used to roller skate. But we did get to visit with family which was priceless. And at least Maryhill Road was still there. Now I open Google Earth to see the many changes.
Take care, Ellen
linda10
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jul 2003, 04:11pm) *
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit about the place.

GG.

hi linda here i used to live at 107 stirling road townhead 1960 went to townhead primary school until 1968 moved to colston had a lot of happy times in the townhead i used to go to school with june beattie who used to live in st james road if u r out there i remember we all used to play chat door run away happy days

linda
TeeHeeHee
Is that the same as KDRF tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Welcome to GG Linda. Enjoy yourself.
wee davy
hmm - thats as i knew it teehee!! perhaps linda is still working it out smile.gif a hearty welcome to the boards indeed, linda rolleyes.gif you are a naughty one teehee!
taffyboy
QUOTE (james n bainy @ 8th Feb 2010, 04:49am) *
my family are the mchughs from dobies lone /garscube rd /denmark st my da is jimmy mchugh or spike as he was known in his hay days he will be 80 next saterday any-one remember the family and the shinnaniginns they got up to i was born above the nogg-inn garscube rd

hi my name is menzies i went to dobbies loan school i lived in pheonix pk terrace wore a parish suit in 1936 had one we brother two we sisters.i dont know where denmark st is.i was about 8yrs old will be 82 in august.loved the phoenix park playground,the big church on the corner of ann st and dobbies loan where i was a member of the cubs.been in michigan since 1949.but still miss what i thought i had in the old coocaddense.aw ra best.archie.
ceader bhoy
QUOTE (james n bainy @ 8th Feb 2010, 04:49am) *

me and yur cousin wully babysat you when you lived in knightswood c/b
possilboy
welcome taffyboy denmark st is in possipark cheers jw
possilboy
welcome to all you newcomers hope youhave great time whith your memories taffyboy and james n bainy dobbies loan and pheonix park trc
lindamac
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentNew Peoples of GG Have a fab time oan these here brawest boards in da toon Lottsa welcome huggs frae Lindamac cheers! xLindamac x
Mrs L
QUOTE (linda10 @ 21st Feb 2010, 10:20am) *
hi linda here i used to live at 107 stirling road townhead 1960 went to townhead primary school until 1968 moved to colston had a lot of happy times in the townhead i used to go to school with june beattie who used to live in st james road if u r out there i remember we all used to play chat door run away happy days

linda

I remember we tied string to two opposite doors, banged on the doors and ran for our lives. rolleyes.gif
take care, Ellen (Mrs L)
Rabbie
Ah so, it wiz you!

Hey Linda. dunno if yer remember a pair of twins that lived there abouts on Stirling Road.

Click to view attachment

Was jist above the wee cloths shop, the wan wi the wee hielant dolls in the windea! They went to the same nursery school as me, the wan in Cathrdal Square, no the dolls, the twins.

Mrs Park wis in charge, nasty bisom cut my nails after ah scratched her legs and laddered her nylons.

Haw haw..

As fur you Mrs L, ma Granny wants a wee word wi you aboot a thing wi her door. But ye'll need to wait a while, shes up stairs washing the landing windeas.

Welcome to the loony bin ladies.
benny
Hello everybody, ah'm Bennyboy. Ah wis born in Oakbank Hospital, went hame tae Garscube Road - jist doon frae Queen's Cross - moved tae Ruchazie when ah wis aboot 5 an a hauf, then Cranhill when ah wis aboot 9. Moved tae Dumbarton wi the Glesga overspill scheme in the early 70's, came back tae Glesga in 1978 an hiv lived here ever since - in the West End - the slummy bit. biggrin.gif
ashfield
Welcome Benny, and all the others who have joined recently. There are couple of Maryhill threads that might interest you on here. Enjoy.
angel
QUOTE (benny @ 27th Feb 2010, 07:25am) *
Hello everybody, ah'm Bennyboy. Ah wis born in Oakbank Hospital, went hame tae Garscube Road - jist doon frae Queen's Cross - moved tae Ruchazie when ah wis aboot 5 an a hauf, then Cranhill when ah wis aboot 9. Moved tae Dumbarton wi the Glesga overspill scheme in the early 70's, came back tae Glesga in 1978 an hiv lived here ever since - in the West End - the slummy bit. biggrin.gif
welcome Benny ........wid that slummy bit of the west end be partik. cool.gif
weelew
QUOTE (linda10 @ 21st Feb 2010, 06:20pm) *
linda

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...I7fQ==&pg=3
mick49
QUOTE (angel @ 27th Feb 2010, 05:10pm) *
welcome Benny ........wid that slummy bit of the west end be partik. cool.gif

Awwwwww cmon angel,,a wee it below the belt,,,,,truthful,but cmon,below the belt lololol
angel
biggrin.gif I was born n bred there Mick many many years ago.
but to be fare there has been some improvements over the years, Cheers tongue.gif

*Tutu53*
Hy possilboy, thanks for posting that Taxi sitting in Dobbies Loan, I nearly died when I seen it because that was my Hubbys Hack, we lived in 560 Dobbies loan above the dairy, that must be a right old picture because we lived there in 1964/1965 Thanks again that brought back memories
Mrs L
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 26th Feb 2010, 12:58pm) *
Ah so, it wiz you!

Haw haw..

As fur you Mrs L, ma Granny wants a wee word wi you aboot a thing wi her door. But ye'll need to wait a while, shes up stairs washing the landing windeas.

Welcome to the loony bin ladies.

I'm off to hide in the dunny or maybe the washhoose (that never worked)
Mrs L (Ellen)
marysw
QUOTE (sjmac @ 29th Jul 2003, 08:41am) *
Born Neilsland Oval, Old Pollok 1944.
Moved to Potterhill Rd Pollok 1947.
Married 1966, moved to Whitburn West Lothian.
Left for Australia 1970. Still here.

Stuart Macfarlane. Wifes name Jean.

biggrin.gif

taffyboy
QUOTE (*Tutu53* @ 28th Feb 2010, 04:23am) *
Hy possilboy, thanks for posting that Taxi sitting in Dobbies Loan, I nearly died when I seen it because that was my Hubbys Hack, we lived in 560 Dobbies loan above the dairy, that must be a right old picture because we lived there in 1964/1965 Thanks again that brought back memories

hey there tutu53 i lived at 51 pheonix pk terr.but left there in 1937 my pal angus mckswans mother ran the dairy probably before you lived there.we were in the park sometimrs all day or tromping up and down the garscube rd.great wee place.i still love it. archie
jakka13
I haven't been on this site for ages but it seems to me we finally got someone from the west end to join in .If anyone remembers Vine St ,if only for the Partick Picture House then I'd love to hear from you .I was born in Vine St and after I was married moved round the corner to Gullane St .The polis office was there and my auntie had a wee shop called Ramsay's .I came to Canada in 1967.
amaw
Hi Everybody

I was born in Maryhill and left it about 57 years ago and now live in Merseyside. My grandaughter who lives in Fife is going to live in Maryhill whilst she attends Glasgow University. If my Mother was alive she would be extatic. smile.gif

I just love these boards. biggrin.gif
elfideldo
Govan
elfideldo
recently moved to pensioners flat in south side, still drive to Govan but all has changed left govan 1966 stayed kintra St, among other places.
johnm
hello everybody i was born in the rottenroe in 1958 and it looks like a lot of people on here were born there i moved to blackhill marystone street went to riddrie primary moved to maryhill 1972 lived in arden street the closes still had gas lanterns and ootside toilets but it was great community everybody was a bit sad when the place got demolished i almost forgot lived in cubie street in the gallowgate 1975 to 1977 that got demolished as well i do miss the old tenements and the neighbours all pulling together helping each other just a bit of nostalgia
joycewilson
Born in Rottenroe 1961, lived in Tormusk Road in Castlemilk till my late teens, moved to Pollokshields melville Street, then cathcart Road Govanhill, when flats were renovated got one with a bath in Govanhill Street.
Moved from there to Rutherglen where I have been 23 years now.
Am the youngest of six of a family who lived at the Gallowagate before going to Castlemilk in the late 50s.
auchenshuggle
snap there joyce, i was in gallowgate before going to castlemilk. lived in the saracen head buildings till i was 5, then up to the milk, that would`ve been 1960. aye it`s a small world richt enuff. rolleyes.gif
anne.munro
Hello everyone,
I' m new to replying to GG although I've been reading the messages for a while. My name is Anne my parents Nan Munro (Annie ) Nee Masterson & my Da Jackie Munro, we lived at Burnside Buildings, Cowcaddens, & a lot of Family lived nearby. We moved to Hull East Yorkshire in 1961 but visited my Grannie in Partick several times a year rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
Hi Anne. Welcome to the boards. I could probably see your house from where I used to live on the other side of the Humber ( If I went up on a big hill ... if there was one tongue.gif biggrin.gif )
Enjoy yourself, just muck in wi' the rest here.
beth
Born Lennox Castle, lived in Anick Street, Shettleston, Moved to the "New utopia" Easterhouse in 1958 then Dennistoun (Not the posh part) in 1969 when we got married. Left home in 1972
Anne1
welcome Beth biggrin.gif
Paulines47
This is the 1st time that I've looked at this thread.....I've just read 35 pages & now have square eyes blink.gif ......only 15 more ta go.

As some of you know, I'm not from Glasgow but Dad was, & I'd thought I would see familiar streets/roads mentioned within this thread but didn't. I have looked at Virtual Mitchell & even on there I found Ann Street but not much else.

What I'd be interested to know is, if I give you some of the names where my ancestors lived, would anyone enlighten me as to what district(s) they were in.....just so's I can get an idea of where they lived in relation to each other??? (i.e. where you all mention Maryhill, Possil, etc.,)

Charles St, Ann St, McAlpine St, Wellington St, Regent St, Ingleston St, Baker St, Sir Michael St, Drumfrochar Rd, Banneckburn St, Watt St, Dunlop St, William St, Belville St, Upper Crescent & Killearn St.

Thanks in advance for any info. smile.gif
possilboy
hi paulines 47 this is ann st cowcaddens
Paulines47
QUOTE (possilboy @ 5th Apr 2010, 08:27pm) *
hi paulines 47 this is ann st cowcaddens

thanks possilboy, it looks a lot different to what i saw on VM site. This may be a stupid question, but is ann st all the way down as far as you can see?? When would this be roughly??

anne.munro
Hello, I'm new to the GG But love reading the stories.Hope you all had a lovely Easter. My name is Anne & I lived at Burnside Buildings with My Ma Nan Munro ( nee Masterson) and My Da Jack Munro, weleft Glasgow in 1961 when Iwas six, My Da got a job in England. We came back several times a year and stayed with My Wee Grannie in Partick , loved staying with her. I went to St Peters Girls School for a year.
Would love to hear back from anyone who knows My family, My Ma worked in Gizzies Cafe in the 50's
Java
Hallo Anne, nice tae meet ye. biggrin.gif

Some day we'll get somebody else fae Carnwadric in here (it dis so count...aye it dis...) laugh.gif
wee davy
welcome aboard anne - come oan in, an shut the door heind ye! smile.gif Theres an awfy draught at times, but dinnae mind that. I'm sure youve already realised were a fairly 'non-toxic' bunch - wi' the exception o' thon Java! whits he daein, contaminatin' a poor wee daffodil!! smile.gif

davy
Paulines47
...off topic I know but I think Java looks really sweet as a daffy
big tommy
From number 78 Crossburn Street.The last close on the right before Braid St. accross from the wee church hall .
now in Bishopbriggs,but would welcome anyone who knew me then to make contact.
If it helps ,I lost a leg in the Army in 1948, Went witha girl named Tilly.
Tommy
Jupiter
A nice picture of Ann Street looking down towards the junction of Garscube Road and Stewart Street.The area on the right is Phoenix Park ,a popular spot for all.I checked old maps and the first street looking down Ann Street is Clyde Street and then Dobbies Loan.It is absolutely incredible how that particular area has changed beyond all recognition.I find it hard to pick out and surviving landmarks.Maybe someone can help.
possilboy
hi paulines47 that would be around late50s early 60s here is at the bottom
CopperLamp
Im fae lennox Castle, Lennox Town, Campsie, Stirling.....Same as LULU....

Lived In Maryhill Rd Most of time, Gorbals, kelvin Grove, Springburn,Blackhill the list is endless but they are main ones.

Most of my family Still In Maryhill, the Murray's, so many of them Pat, John, Sadie sadly departed. Cathy, James...etc etc
Lennox
QUOTE (CopperLamp @ 11th Apr 2010, 01:12pm) *
Most of my family Still In Maryhill, the Murray's, so many of them Pat, John, Sadie sadly departed. Cathy, James...etc etc

Did you have a uncle Willie Murray ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.