Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where In Glasgow Are You From?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
patsy113
I was born in Maryhill 72 Hopehill Rd. 1/7/39. Then my parents moved to 113 Montrose St. 1940.
I lived in 113 till I married 1964 then moved to Crammond St Oatlands, Ithen moved Govanhill 115 Bowman St. From there I moved to Dungloe Co Donegal my wife comes from her maiden name is Noreen O donnell from Drakemire Ave. Castlemilk,she originally came from Craugheyboyle
Dungloe. Anyone from 252 Cathedral St Grafton St Grafton Sq. or Pl. John St or from that Area Please feel free to contact me a.s.p. Pat Doyle of 7 doyles from 113.
scotsirishtyke
Hi there,

My parents grew up in the possilpark/lambhill area. My dad was Jack Henderson, he worked in Cowlairs as a coachbuilder in the 1950s. His dad Tommy was an Iron moulder, worked in several Springburn foundries.

My GGranda was Hugh Convery he was also an iron moulder at Cowlairs 1920- 50s.

My other Granda was Jonny Ross, an iron dresser at Saracen and NB Locos.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of the abov familys. The Hendersons lived in the Keppoch hill rd area and the Ross in Hawthorne St. Granda Convery Carbeth St and Balmore Rd.

Scotsirishtyke
possilboy
hi scotsirishtyke welcome to the board i remember a convery from carbeth st as i was born and brought up there my da also worked at cowlairs in the fifties then went to the calley cheers john watson
brynpossil
[font="Arial Black"][/font][/size][color="#000000"][/color][quote name='GG' date='28th Jul 2003, 05:07pm' post='138']
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit asi wasizei="6"]
possilboy
welcome to the boards brynpossil you never said what part of possil you come from if you click on glasgow districts you will possilpark on there and click that on and you will find a lot of us from possil we have a good laugh and chat about old times cheers john watson
brynpossil
[quote name='possilboy' date='15th Jul 2009, 11:51pm' post='248181']
welcome to the boards brynpossil you never said what part of possil you come from if you click on glasgow districts you will possilpark on there and click that on and you will find a lot of us froccm possil we have a good laugh and chat about old times cheers john watsonquote
TeeHeeHee
In the process of reading through this topic ( to see if I've posted, which I must have done) and got as far as #255 on page 17 and had to stop; I'm still clearing the tears of laughter from my eyes. laugh.gif
One of the funniest posts I've ever read here; and there's been a good few of them laugh.gif
27stowst
Aye THH, I agree. Sitting here chortling away tae masel!! Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
petalpeeps
Bein a wummin , ma nose wis botherin me ,went back tae huv a look . Whit a stoater. laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
Finally got through this great topic and ... no, I hadn't posted !
Waste of time now I guess, but I'm glad I read it through.
So, on topic, born in Glasgow, Great Western Road, moved out about 6weeks old and never really stopped moving after I left school ( England, Europe, Middle East, Far East, Near East - I like it warm) till I came to this corner with Germany, France and Switzerland (for 4 weeks) twenty odd years ago where someone put a stop to my roaming ... thank goodness: it was getting too much.
So, 5am - near enuff - and the next move is ... bed.
Night night.
possilboy
hi brynpossil i see your having a wee bit trouble posting you will soon get the hang of it cheers
possilboy
hi brynpossil if you scroll down and click on add reply it will come up and you can type in your message then go down and click the same it will grt you message through cheers john watson ps also click enable signature
Macqui
Hi I'm from Anderson was born William St, Attended St Patricks, and Garnethill Convent. I Live in San Diego Ca.. my family lives in Glasgow. I don't get home as often as I would like to but maybe theis year/
the brauns
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 15th Jul 2009, 08:52pm) *
In the process of reading through this topic ( to see if I've posted, which I must have done) and got as far as #255 on page 17 and had to stop; I'm still clearing the tears of laughter from my eyes. laugh.gif
One of the funniest posts I've ever read here; and there's been a good few of them laugh.gif

I've just found this post and am joining you all in your laughter...... Way too funny.
27stowst
QUOTE (Macqui @ 18th Jul 2009, 08:53pm) *
Hi I'm from Anderson was born William St, Attended St Patricks, and Garnethill Convent. I Live in San Diego Ca.. my family lives in Glasgow. I don't get home as often as I would like to but maybe theis year/

Hi Macqui, welcome to the boards. Just want to say my Grandfather was born at 34 William St....in 1882!! So don't think you would have known him!!! tongue.gif All the best biggrin.gif
weebren3
smile.gif Glasgow best place,Lived westray place milton scheme.I went to canada bc 1961,come back in 1967.Now I am in Toronto since 1975 with the rest of my family. Have 3 sons 1 born in BC had other 2 wee scotsman,had to make them proud of my heritage and there own.I have 6 grandchildren,all with scots names too. cheers to all,see scotland soon&Glasow toon
tellyguy
borne in andersin, lived in springburn (up the high rode) nix tae the gravy, the olde piture hoose and the broo, the fire station it keppockil rode. left in 72. oor the wao to see peesie. went tae colson skul. (well educated) hide park primary
possilboy
hi weebren3 and tellyguy welcolme to the boards hope you enjoy cheers jw
scotgal
QUOTE (Margaret P @ 3rd Aug 2003, 01:00am) *
Born in Cowcaddens 26 Sawmillfield st 1943 moved to Priesthill in 1952 42 Shilton dr left for OZ in may 1961 still hear Adelaide South Australia smile.gif

Hi Margaret P"

Have justjoined the Glasgow Boards. I was born Oakbank Hospital, 1938. Lived as a child in
Maitland Street, before moving to Oakbank Terrace and then to the Milton.
Married with 3 grown up "kids" and like you I live in South Australia.

Drop me a line and tell me about yourself.

Regards, Elizabeth. laugh.gif
brynpossil
i was born in Possil Park allander street. and went to East Keppoch school left in 1959 moved to Wales
possilboy
hi scotgal and brynpossil a big welcome to the boards and hope you enjoy
davidhendry
Born Carntyne 1940, Ravelston st. Dad away fighting for king and country. In spite of no money had a brilliant childhood.Carntyne primary followed by Whitehill Sen. Reading on GG about Jimmy(?) singing, last night, and all the banter, made me feel so homesick. So much so, I,ve got a helluva hangover this morning. You people are the salt of the earth. I love you, fellow glaswegians.
Getting morose, gonna read your jokes.
Regards.
Gemini
hi davidhenry, just glancing through this thread, saw your name and it rung a bell, I lived on Seagrove st and have this feeling we know each other, drop me a line if the name Hutton rings a bell with you,
Helpmaboab
I lived in Hutton Drive, Linthouse through the late 50s and 60s then in the 70s moved out to the suburbs: Drumoyne. I went to Elderpark School and then the great Govan High. I moved away in 1978 but still visit when I can.
davidhendry
GEMINI,
Is it John Hutton? Irrespective, it,s nice to hear from a Carntyne wallah. This pc thingy is totally new to me, and I struggle all the way. Really need tuition, but from whom. Two months ago, the dealer brought the machine here, set it up, then pissed off.i see you,re in the States, how long and what do you do to earn your pennies (sorry cents).Got the Google map thing, zoomed in on Ravelston St. outside my late mothers house, sat looking at it for a long time, and the years rolled away. Glasgow,s a great place, and reading GG is brilliant.The chat is so friendly and intimate, I feal I,m eavesdropping. Great stuff, from great people. Started writing this yesterday, electricity goes, (as it does every day),went for a refreshment, got too refreshed. Please keep in touch.
Regards, Davie.
annie laurie
Hello Helpmaboab,

I also lived in Linthouse, Kennedar Dr one street over from Hutton Dr and Drumoyne and attended Govan High

I live in Canada Now,
scotsirishtyke
Hi Possilboy,

My GGrandparents lived in Carbeth street for quite a while He was Hugh Convery gran was Lizzie and their children were Ann known as Sissy, My Grandma, Hugh, Rose and Mary.

Granda Convery was also the groundsman at Ashfield F C, in his spare time.

Scotsirishtyke
possilboy
hi sctsirishtyke i lived in carbeth st above mccaffertys shop until 1963 trying to remember your grandparents do you know what end cheers john
eastender
Shettleston biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (eastender @ 9th Aug 2009, 01:16am) *
Shettleston biggrin.gif

Don't swamp us with information- too much to digest biggrin.gif
eastender
wit mer dae ye want tae know? biggrin.gif
patsy113
Maggie were in Townhead are you from I`m from Montrose St. I would like to exchange some info
also went to St. Roch`s 1952/55.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (eastender @ 9th Aug 2009, 08:34am) *
wit mer dae ye want tae know? biggrin.gif
Up to you I suppose - like whereabouts in Shettleston, time spent there, hang-outs etc
Isabella
Born in Rottenrow and lived in Keppochhill Road from 1939-1960. Emmigrated to the U.S in 1960, Lived in New York City for 5 years got married and moved to Connecticut from 1965 to 1995. Retired in Florida lived there for 9 years now live in Georgia and Love it I attended St Teresa's and St Cuthberts Schools my .Maiden Name was Isabel Brisbane now Isabel Powell Soperton Georgia U.SA Planning to come home next year to meet up eith some old school pals that I have not seen in 50 years .
klingon
QUOTE (glesgagirl @ 15th May 2009, 02:51pm) *
I was born in Rottenrow Hospital 1947, we lived on Fisher Street. Dad was from Fisher Street and mom was from Black Street (off the Parly Rd in Townhead). Went to Golfhill School, moved to 37 Barlanark Rd, Barlanark in 54/55. Apr 1957 emigrated to the states, moved back to Glasgow May 57' stayed with my aunt on Kennedy St for a while; attended Kennedy St school while there. 58 moved to 79 John Knox St and went to City Public on St James' Road. Oct 63 emigrated again to the USA, New York state specifically and that is where I am today. Always miss Glasgow but I still have lots of family there and visit often.

Ye remember Romeo Valerios cafe in Parly rd then?-corner of black st and Parly road-wan of my haunts when I was wee!-Hoat peas and vinegar and a mug of Bovril after the swimmin baths-magic!
glesgagirl
Klingon, yes I do. My granny and grandapaw lived at 3 Black street, top floor, (first close around the corner from the shoe store) until they ripped them down. My mom and her 7 brothers and sisters were born there.
forky7
I was born in 1950, near Gartcosh just outside Glasgow, lived in Glasgow since 1962
Williamson St, then moved to Barlanark, Have lived in Sandyhills now for the last 26 years
klingon
QUOTE (glesgagirl @ 10th Aug 2009, 01:52pm) *
Klingon, yes I do. My granny and grandapaw lived at 3 Black street, top floor, (first close around the corner from the shoe store) until they ripped them down. My mom and her 7 brothers and sisters were born there.

Bought the first pair of Beatle boots seen in Glasgow out of the Co-op shoe shop in Parly rd,they came in as I was getting a new pair of shoes and I grabbed a pair aff the wumman-lucky I was 11 with size 6 feet eh?-cost 1/1/6d-ma maw nearly had kittens-she was trying a pair of pointers on me at 14/9d auld money-gret the face aff her for them-then whined at her till she took me doon tae Bremners in Glassford st for a grey italian suit with a black velvet collar tae match the boots!-Fusco's for a beatles haircut then the Dennistoun Palais on Saturday afternoon to the kids dancin tae get a lumber-I grew up waaaaaaaaaay too quick!
loopylou65
Hi i grew up in spittal rutherglen in the 70's ,the things we did to amuse ourselves was jumping the burn often falling in getting our feet wet,jumping the dykes ,catching tadpoles or the wee tiny fish was awesome,wee collected bees,made daisy chains,made our own den with two blankets on washing line with pegs and bricks on blanket to stop it moving,we climbed trees,boys often went looking for birds eggs,wee used to pick raspberries and gooseberries didnt eat gooseberries,it's great to talk about the things we did when growing up ,mum never had money for computers etc to what the kids have now we made our own fun it was better and healthy
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (loopylou65 @ 3rd Sep 2009, 10:31pm) *
Hi i grew up in spittal rutherglen in the 70's ,the things we did to amuse ourselves was jumping the burn often falling in getting our feet wet,jumping the dykes ,catching tadpoles or the wee tiny fish was awesome,wee collected bees,made daisy chains,made our own den with two blankets on washing line with pegs and bricks on blanket to stop it moving,we climbed trees,boys often went looking for birds eggs,wee used to pick raspberries and gooseberries didnt eat gooseberries,it's great to talk about the things we did when growing up ,mum never had money for computers etc to what the kids have now we made our own fun it was better and healthy

Agnes & Robert
I AGREE
LAINEY_CHUBS
Hey!!

I from Sunny Ruchill, born & bred here smile.gif bloddy love it! Then moved out to Scumbernauld for 3 years..........and now im back smile.gif
LAINEY_CHUBS
Hey!!

I from Sunny Ruchill, born & bred here smile.gif bloddy love it! Then moved out to Scumbernauld for 3 years..........and now im back smile.gif
*LAINEYWEECHUBS*
Hey!!

I was born & bred in Sunny Ruchill biggrin.gif bloody love it! I moved out to Scumbernauld for about 3 years & after a failed relatinship 1 2 3 awwwww haha i moved back to Sunny Ruchill with the parentals x
*Stephen*
Now stay in Australia, but will always be a Glasgow-man, born in Springburn.

A big happy wave to everyone in Glasgow!!! biggrin.gif

Stephen.
pumps100
QUOTE (loopylou65 @ 3rd Sep 2009, 11:13pm) *
Hi i grew up in spittal rutherglen in the 70's ,the things we did to amuse ourselves was jumping the burn...

Hi Loopylou,

I am from Croftfoot and was in the wee burn in the Spittal making a dam the day that we learned that Jimi Hendrix died - think it was September 1970. Now when I think of Jimi Hendrix's premature death I always think of the wee burn in the Spittal. Odd how things stick with you.

Welcome and Best Wishes

Ian
chrian
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jul 2003, 06:12pm) *
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit about the place.

GG.

I lived in Allander STREET Possil Park and moved to Wales in 1958.
jakka13
I wonder where all the west end people post ?????.I'm from Partick and nobody else seems to be from anywhere nearby.
Maybe they are all toffs and go to the west end site ?
possilboy
welcome chrian hope you enjoy the board try the possilpark part in glasgow districts you will get a laugh
Kaneman
Hi Jakka,

I used tae drink in the Thornwood, is it still standin, or is it like me, doon an oot?? Stayed in Kennoway dr then, next tae the auld railway line, ah think, 30 years ago, ah need anither drink!!!!
If ah can figure how tae dae it, ah kin stick up a photo, circa 1950's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.