Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where In Glasgow Are You From?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Marie85
Hi All,

I'm not from Glasgow myself, but my Dad is and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me, as I'm lookin at purchasing old photos of Glasgow for my Dad, but have not been able to find anything online and whilst I was in Glasgow earlier this year. I'm looking for photos of saracen cross and Possil Park. I'm interested in either websites or shops in Glasgow!

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks
wellfield
Hi Marie85,just hang in there,someone on the site will come up with something for you--if you go on http://oldspringburn.wetpaint.com you'll find maps of that area from 1956 showing all the old streets before the big changes happened ---Welcome!
gardenqueen
Marie, have you tried the virtual mitchell library?

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...XJhY2VuIFN0Ijt9

Just have a browse around there and you might find something. Also, you might be able to buy them. Not sure also but I think there might be a book about Possil with old photos.

GQ
George Muir
Marie, click on the link below, you might find something there that interests you.
If the picture comes up small, then click on it and it will appear somewhat enlarged.
Good Luck!

http://www.francisfrith.com/search/scotlan...sgow_photos.htm
Tennscot
QUOTE (angel @ 6th Sep 2008, 07:12pm) *
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohumorous
Aye Angel It`s whit I`d call Glasgow Humour!!!!It`s true the Germans wanted to bomb Springburn, and I believe that whoever was responsible for Bulldozing a road thro` the middle of Springburn Did more to destroy the Community than a few german bombers could have achieved. unsure.gif
angel
Aint that the truth Tennscot, tongue.gif you take care now tongue.gif
aaron king
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentHI MARIE 85
THESE PICS A BIT OLD BUT YOUR DAD WILL LIKE THEM .
gardenqueen
Aaron, are those photos from a book. If so, do you have the name of it? My mum, very old now, came from that area and would love to look at old photos.

GQ
Teenybash
Born 1961 in Oakbank hospital. Lived in Myrtle Street. Moved to Drumchapel, where I grew up. 1980 moved to Edinburgh, still here! Every house I lived in and school I went to are no longer there.
scoob77
born in rotten row, then was brought up in castlemilk, first in ardencraig quad no 45 i think it was, then moved to castlemilk drive - 212, then 204, now lived in essex for the past 10 years!
mamie
Thanks Aaron for the memories, I was born in Barloch St Possilpark, it was nice to see my old stamping ground. Saracen St looks good
jovilady
Hi everyone , just found this board earlier tonight and have sat here reading through the wonderful posts for last few hours biggrin.gif , I was born on 25th march 1955 in guest street glasgow, moved to Castlemilk when i was 3 months old with mum, dad and my older brother who was 16 months old at that time, we stayed in machrie drive facing the old castle that at that time was called castlemilk house and was a childrens home, my younger brother and sister were both born at home in machrie drive, have so many wonderful memories of my childhood there, got married in 1976 and moved just down the road to croftfoot in 1991, having spent most of my life in Castlemilk i have to say its the best and im proud to say i that myself and then my kids spent there childhood days, good days and memories to last a lifetime wub.gif
Isobel
Teenybash , scoob77, jovilady, Welcome to the GG boards. . New names , hope you will join in the posting.Always great to have some new folks
hopalong cassidy
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jul 2003, 06:17pm) *
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit about the place.

GG.

Lived at 7 Hallibuton Crescent, Easterhouse from 1961 - 72 moved to 87 Crowlin Crescent, Cranhill. Moved 1983 to Carntyne
Guest Aileen *
I lived in Bellgrove Street, close to the meat market - lovely! I went to Thomson Street School in, surprisingly, Thomson Street! I remember the sweet(ie) shop across the road from us; it was Miss Buchanan's shop and very old-fashioned but great. She died, having been knocked down by a cyclist. I thought that she was very old indeed but, now that I am 60, I suspect that she wasn't really old at all! There was a Beattie's bakers just up the road, where honey buns were sold - sometimes, if we were flush, with icing! Does anyone remember those?
joseph marshall
QUOTE (GG @ 28th Jul 2003, 05:17pm) *
Whether it was a long time ago, a short time ago, you're still there, you miss it, etc. Please tell the boards whereabouts in Glasgow you came from originally and maybe even a wee bit about the place.

GG. Joseph Marshall Ragland St Round Toll born there left 1961 to get married now living in australia went St Joseph.
annehannon/mcknight
Hello every one, i have just joined the boardand found it very interesting,i was born in the gorbals lived their till i went to my secondary.then moved to easterhouse. my mum and dad moved to dunskaith st .i think they were one of the first to move into their new house i moved to london when i was sixteen but the family stayed their untill they were demolished I have some great memories of the st wish i could turn back the clock hope to hear from some of the old neighbours regards AmcK.
stratson
Welcome, Amck., >>>was wondering where in the Gorbals you lived . I may have known your family as I spent 9 years there in my first house,( single end. ) smile.gif
glasgow lass
I remember my grandmother saying tae me >>>Lass a jist have tae get oot'yi this big hoose its far too big for me ( a room and kitchen ) and get intae a smaller wan, and that she did , right next door to a single end smile.gif
jaybee
was wondering where in the Gorbals you lived . I may have known your family as I spent 9 years there in my first house,( single end. )

Stratson, I don't know if we ever exchanged information or not. I too lived in the Gorbals till I left for Canada. I was born Lawmoor Street (I know, not the Gorbals) but my family moved when I was a few months old to Crown Street, the Gorbals side, just facing Kidson Street. Where in the Gorbals did you live? My husband lived on Kames Street, the other side of Crown Street. Jaybee
joycewilson
Im Originally From Castlemilk Left There In 1978... x
weelew
I was born in the Townhead 1949 ,moved to Ruchazie around 1959 ,stayed there for ten years ,now living on the isle of Bute .
lindamac
smile.gif I've never been to the isle of Bute is it nice weelew? biggrin.gif
Isobel
Wee lew, I used to live in Ruchazie Claypotts Road.
joycewilson
Thought I Would Add Here Again Since I Have Read Back On Board...I Was Brought Up In Catlemilk..Born 1961, We lived In Tormusk Road Till Mum Moved To Crosshill In The Late 70s Where She Still Is Today I Am The Youngest Of Six Children...Loved My Childhood In Castlemilk. Love Reading About It On This Site And Seeing The Great Pics That Are About On Here xx
stratson
You must pass me in the street Joyce, I was born here smile.gif
weelew
Lindamac .The isle of Bute is a lovely place ,lived here for years now and would never leave ,it's also a great place to bring up children .

Isobel i lived in Craighouse street for about 10 years until about 1968 ,it was a great place then ,it went down the hill a wee bit ,but seems it is on the way up again .
joycewilson
Hi Stratson I Lived In Govanhill Till I Exchanged Flats To Here.... x
thistle46
Hi Weelew:

How awesome and fortunate that you live in Isle of Bute - I have the Rothesay harbour as my screensaver at work and co-workers comment where is this beautiful isle. So many fond memories of our family vacations in Ardbeg.
Hopefully will go back for a wee visit when we retire.

cheers... biggrin.gif Thistle
(originally from Prince Edward Street in Govanhill)
wellfield
Hi weelew,when I was travelling around Britain on my last trip,I made a trip to Rothesay and ended up staying a week,It's more like a wee village now as opossed to what it used to be,I loved it---I posted some Rothesay pics in the Gallery a while back,I was reliving the memories of my childhood on the last trip.
weelew
Hi guys ,you know its a funny thing no matter where you go there is always somebody who went to Rothesay for their holidays ,or whos mothers aunties cousin had a wee single end here in the old days when that was the favourite holiday destination for Glasgow folk .Going doon the waater .I have been to about a dozen different countries and i always meet someone who know's Rothesay . Thistle if you ever do get back drop m,e a pm anfd we can meet up .
Isobel
weelew did you know the Alan's who lived on Graighouse St. three kids Sadie Jackie and Anne.
They lived on the top flat I think it was the first close round from Elibank st.
AnneTeak
Hello All
I've just moved in here wink.gif
I was born in Possilpark and my family are all Lambhill and Possil buddies. biggrin.gif
I am trying to find a book I once read written I think by Jack House about North Glasgow or it may have been more specific Possilpark and Lambhill anyway it had a great pic of brickies/labourers posing outside the "new" tenements of Ardoch Street - ring any bells ????

Thanks !
weelew
Isobel pretty sure i remember Jackie Alan ,any more info .
Owen
I was born in warwick/nicholson street in 1935, lived there till 1960,moved round the corner to
bedford street,moved to eglinton street in 1965,moved to granton street street 1968, moved to
roystonhill in 1980. moved to knightswood in 1983, still here.
QUOTE (AnneTeak @ 6th Nov 2008, 09:30pm) *
Hello All
I've just moved in here wink.gif
I was born in Possilpark and my family are all Lambhill and Possil buddies. biggrin.gif
I am trying to find a book I once read written I think by Jack House about North Glasgow or it may have been more specific Possilpark and Lambhill anyway it had a great pic of brickies/labourers posing outside the "new" tenements of Ardoch Street - ring any bells ????

Thanks !

Anne, if you log on to, "amazon.co.uk" and type in "jack house, books" it will come up with a
sellection of titles. hope this helps.
olly12
HELLO STRATSONSORRY I NEVER GOT IN TOUCH BEFORE NOW BUT I HAVENT BEEN ON FOR A WHILE, WE WERE ALL BORN IN HALLSIDE ST THE STRANGE THING ABOUT IT MOSR OF THE PEOPLE I HAVE SPOKEN HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE OLD STREET IF YOU DO KNOW US PLEASE LET ME KNOW REGARDS ANNE HANNON/MC KNIGHT.
stergene
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 6th Aug 2007, 01:15am) *
I was Born in Rottenrow Maternity. Grew up in Wellfield Street #102 My Fathers "pitch" was just outside the window. Moved to 9 Woodhill Road.. Balornock... The "Swedish houses"got Married ...Barrack St Just across from Bain st. then Lochgilp St Maryhill. then began my Travels , that`s another story. `Cos i`ve crammed in a couple of lifetimes. !!!!!!
stergene
in reply to tennscott i to was brought up in wellfield st no 114 lived there from 59-65 left there to move to dennistoun
john bhoy
Born in Glasgow.....Anderston.........now in East Kilbride cool.gif
john bhoy
Born in Glasgow.....Anderston.........now in East Kilbride cool.gif
TB40
I was born in Maryhill came to Aus. 1973 smile.gif
Stuartd
Born and raised in Wallace St. and went to Centre st. School. Dad moved to Coventry circa 1955 and we followed him in '58. Been around a bit since then, but only ever got back to Scotland on short holiday breaks - don't have any surviving family in Glasgow as far as I know.
dbarber
Hi Stuartd,
I used to live round the corner in Cook St then we moved to Castlemilk.Now in Canada.Used to be friends with George Rodden and Hugh McCartney from that area.
Dee Bee
George Muir
Hi StuartD, my late wife (Jane McGregor) lived at 89 Wallace St. across from the fire station. Her neighbours on the landing were the Roddens. She attended Centre St. school too. I remember James McAndrew too, he was in the same class, in fact when I was a crew member of H.M.T Empire Clyde, James was on the same ship. Wallace St. as we know it was demolished and now features some pretty upscale buildings I believe.
Here is a picture of Centre St. school:

Click to view attachment
TAC1
Earl St in scotstown, then moved to drumchapel
possilboy
hi john watson here born carbeth st possil 1945 lived there till 1963 went to aussie now living new zaland lived above mccaffertys went saracen and possil schools played goalkeep for saracen north end then possil ym cheers john
possilboy
hi john watson here born carbeth st possil 1945 lived there till 1963 went to aussie now living new zaland lived above mccaffertys went saracen and possil schools played goalkeep for saracen north end then possil ym cheers john
lindamac
QUOTE (johnwatson @ 25th Nov 2008, 10:28pm) *

Click to view attachmentWelcome to ya John Watson ,I live in Australia,Tis a small world sure it is? my brother played also for Possil YM throughout the 80s-90s Andy Pices was a referee & had often refereed some of my brothers games perhaps you will bump into AndyPices another member on here & you never know ye maywell actualy know some of the same people who knows it could be something otr nothing pal but welcome to GG anways enjoy yerself theres a great bunch of folk oan here.
possilboy
hi lindamac good to here from you was in melbourne for twenty years now nz if you go to the possilpark sight you will find it interesting cheers john watson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.