Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asda In Glasgow
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
wee mags
I met these two in asda in glasggow they were at a wedding and it ran out of Beer ,so these two came in to get some and my niec asked them to have there photos taken with me ,they were so nice nae bother missus laugh.gif
pumps100
Great picture.

Regards

Ian
ashfield
Great photo Mags, was it a two for one offer tongue.gif
Melody
Aw Mags, that's a brilliant photo. yes.gif Ye all look lovely.
RonD
Great picture, Mags.
Lennox
Lovely Photo Mags smile.gif
wee mags
To ashfield it might have been two for one offer wink.gif . I was so tired as I had been to Oban for the day and we stopped for a few wee things ,now you all know why Iam known as wee mags thumbup.gif
Rab-oldname
Saw this in Applecross last week Mags. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
wee mags
good yin Rab
Dave Grieve
We dont have Asda or any of your supermarkets here but the ones we have love this time of year.
Some of their so called specials that look like normal prices to me.

Divide by 18 to get the pound price

Click to view attachment
ashfield
Dave, those are pretty good prices. One supermarket here is currently doing a promotion on Grouse and it's reduced price is 13. Glenlivet sells normally for around 35 a bottle. For some reason, malt whisky prices have risen at an unbelievable rate over the last 18 months. I reckon the average has gone from 25 to 35 during that time sad.gif
Dave Grieve
Ash your Glenlivet price sounds a rip off, I bought my son in-law Glenmorangie at Christmas and it was about 25pound

Click to view attachment
taurus
I just bought a bottle of Glenlivet this week,$50.00 Australian,on the Easter special.If I had seen Glenmorangie as cheap as 25 pounds,I`d have bought a case,that`s "falling off the back of a truck" prices for such an upmarket Scotch.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (taurus @ 11th Apr 2014, 12:35am) *
I just bought a bottle of Glenlivet this week,$50.00 Australian,on the Easter special.If I had seen Glenmorangie as cheap as 25 pounds,I`d have bought a case,that`s "falling off the back of a truck" prices for such an upmarket Scotch.

hi Taurus must admit I think I made a mistake with the Glenmorangie, not with the price but with the time I bought it it wasent christmas but for his birtday over a year ago. sorry just put it down to old age wub.gif
zascot
Dave, stick up some of the houses for sale ads and they will die of shock. thumbup.gif
QUOTE (zascot @ 11th Apr 2014, 07:46am) *
Dave, stick up some of the houses for sale ads and they will die of shock. thumbup.gif

Who are "they"?

Should you want to shock people in Scotland why not put up the figures for the murder rate in South Africa? I understand that these are currently running at around 45 murders per day.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (zascot @ 11th Apr 2014, 09:46am) *

If I come across suitable pictures i might just do that biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
As with most things, it pays to shop around. A quick price check on a comparison site revealed the following best buys in Scotland :-

Glenlivet 24.00 ASDA

Laphroaig 33.50 ASDA

Glenmorangie 27.50 ASDA

Talisker 28.00 Morrisons

Highland Park 27.00 Sainsbury

Balvenie 29.89 Morrisons

Old Pulteney 23.00 ASDA

Ardmore 27.00 ASDA

Glenfiddich 29.99 Morrisons

Aberlour 32.00 ASDA

ashfield
I got a bottle of Glenrothes (which actually comes from Speyside huh.gif ) from Aldi, 28. The same bottle has just gone on sale in Tesco for 45.

The newspapers have been doing a "demographic" on the users of the so called discount supermarkets , Aldi and Lidl. Apparently their recent success in heading the bigger boys for sales is becoming the shop of choice for young mothers. I must admit to having sore sides from laughing, we have used both stores right from the first day they opened. Many of our friends refused to enter the portals as they saw the shops as downmarket. Now we even have them recommending the two stores to us, as if the past had never happened laugh.gif

I can hear them now, "oh, it's not only for poor people" laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Ash, Glenrothes is an excellent dram and of course comes from Rothes, a town which boasts several malt distilleries. You are dead right about shopping at Lidl and Aldi. We get some supplies there and the rest at Spanish supermarkets. The German stores have the prices but are a bit lacking in choice, especially with whiskies.
carmella
I am sitting here laughing because when these stores came to us way back when, i was one who said I wouldn't go inside. Years down the road and I like them.

I still use TESCO, SAINSBURY, ASDA (rarely). One thing I do wish we had are what I would call a really good deli. I'm a huge fan of all things continental (because of my background) I adore how food, cold cuts, huge olives etc. Are laid out in the continent markets and supermarkets yummy, get hungry just thinking about it.

One of my greatest things in life is food. Thats why I'll never be a skinny malink!
Jupiter
A wee point for any car owner members.ASDA TYRES : they are as competitive as any for car tyres.I recently ordered 4 from ASDA and had them fitted by appointment at Halfords.Great service and the tyres were actually cheaper than Halfords were selling them.
LIDL and ALDI--THE BEST VFM without a doubt.
ashfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Apr 2014, 09:43am) *
As with most things, it pays to shop around. A quick price check on a comparison site revealed the following best buys in Scotland :-

Glenlivet 24.00 ASDA

Laphroaig 33.50 ASDA

Glenmorangie 27.50 ASDA

Talisker 28.00 Morrisons

Highland Park 27.00 Sainsbury

Balvenie 29.89 Morrisons

Old Pulteney 23.00 ASDA

Ardmore 27.00 ASDA

Glenfiddich 29.99 Morrisons

Aberlour 32.00 ASDA

Bill, 18 months ago I was buying Aberlour and Glenlivet for 20 a bottle. Nae chance of that price these days, although I do get the occasional Glen Moray for 17 at Aldi.
ashfield
QUOTE (carmella @ 11th Apr 2014, 11:03am) *
I am sitting here laughing because when these stores came to us way back when, i was one who said I wouldn't go inside. Years down the road and I like them.

Carmella, I use other supermarkets as well. The standing joke with my friends was that my house would have to be renamed Aldi Towers because we bought so many of their special buys rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Apr 2014, 01:43pm) *
Bill, 18 months ago I was buying Aberlour and Glenlivet for 20 a bottle. Nae chance of that price these days, although I do get the occasional Glen Moray for 17 at Aldi.

Ash, I quite agree that malts have become a rip-off since becoming "fashionable", especially when the duty payable is just the same as for blends. On my recent trip I did notice a big disparity in prices between supermarkets, like the price difference you mentioned. On the whole I reckon ASDA is better than Tesco, but I did buy one bottle from Morrisons in Airdrie. I do not believe that any of them are selling any at a loss ! Even the airports are a joke now with very few bargains. The big selling malt here is Cardhu at about 23, and for some reason Glen Grant is always cheap- about 15. It's all down to marketing.
Dylan
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Apr 2014, 12:43pm) *

I am convinced that the Distillers have a price fixing agreement in respect of Malts and pull some dirty tricks.

Cardhu is no longer as Single malt but has rebranded as " Pure Malt ".?

In Spain I have seen Glen Grant at " 5 year old " and I understand in some EU countries as "3 year old " .

The 5 is cheap but not nice.

BTW, Glenrothes is a lovely Malt.

I currently have a bottle unopened, as my Pal gave it to me as a gift and it is personalised by engraving.

I have 37 Malts , and 3 rare Blends ,all opened, at present.

I quite like Whisky ?
carmella
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Apr 2014, 12:47pm) *
Carmella, I use other supermarkets as well. The standing joke with my friends was that my house would have to be renamed Aldi Towers because we bought so many of their special buys rolleyes.gif

Since I moved, I tend only to go into town where the Lidl and Aldi are, in fact in Ayr, Aldi is moving in to the very large, old MFI store opposite Carnegie Library, which may or may not be easier for me to park, though memory tells me that MFI car park wasn't very big. At the moment Aldi is out at Prestwick Toll.

Anyhoo, as we say, I tend now only to go into town perhaps for a decent shop about every 2 - 3 weeks, and that's when i'll nip in to ALDI and LIDL to see what they have, as well as to get other things.

But, I love Waitrose, and I just heard that Waitrose will be opening a shop next year or so, next door to Dobbies Garden World, which is only 3 miles from my house - in future, that's probably where I'll go specifically because it's closer and I love Waitrose, as I do John Lewis (wish I didn't have to go online or to the city to shop at John Lewis).

Parking is a big problem for me, because I have sore backs all the time, so I can't walk far, and don't need yet at any rate, disabled parking - I'm no that bad if I lost a couple of stone I'd be better or started smoking again LoL

I still have a portable CD player that I purchased in LIDL the first year they came to Ayr, now I don't know when that was, but I was still working at the time, and I took early retirement at the age of 53 in 2002 (Dec) so it was before then. I'm willing to bet that if I'd bought a big named one of British origin or otherwise, I'd already have replaced it. This CD player is German, and in terms of electricals etc. I think the German's can do no wrong, and I like their work ethic.
Jupiter
Carmella I might just pop into Lidl when Im down for the big race tomorrow rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Dylan,

Whilst not disageeing with most of your post, I must point out that you are a bit behind the times with your reference to Cardhu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3546321.stm
taurus
I`m a sucker for Aldi too,can`t go past their prices for fruit and veg,but everyone of the electrical items I have bought over the years ended up in the bin,the toaster blew the power and it went straight to the bin,followed by every other bargain .When I`m talking to my son on the phone and he can`t hear me,he`ll say ,have you been buying all that Aldi C**p again ?!!
Billy Boil
I live in country N.S.W but the prices (Dan Murphy) are identical to the city.
The Glenlievet $45
Glen Morangie (special) $59
Dalwhinnie 15 year (special) $60
Glen Moray 12yr. $39
Just bought a Dimple 15 yr. $59
Laphroig $80
Oban 14yr. $80
Mind you these come in various ages and strengths some Laphroig $150 46%
Abundah $100 100%
One thing taken into account here is that there are no "giant supermarkets".ergo there is a much smaller commercial base. There is a much lower demand for top line Malt. Rum, vodka and Bourbon are more popular with the young. And as for where I live near the sub tropical Queensland border, the warmth of John Ribbin Barlycorn is less welcome.
I saw a bottle of "malt' in Aldis ( Which only sells the basic model whiskies ) a few weeks ago 30yr. old for $100 might have been made elsewhere although it said Scotland I had never heard of it.
There is also a question of wage distribution here, leading to distortions in the exchange rate and the ammount of discretion spending. As a teacher and with my wife's consultancy income we had we not retired early would have been on $138,000 per ( before 1/4 tax. ) So it is hard to say that spirits though expensive are not so unafordable.
ashfield
I'm really surprised to hear that Taurus, a couple of things I bought over the years have failed but most are still going strong. My main PC was an Aldi purchase and the spec was much higher, for the price, than anything going elsewhere. Apart from anything else, how many stores offer an automatic three year guarantee on electrical goods? Two things I can recall having problems with over the years, on one occasion I was sent a replacement without having to return the original and a Digital radio was repaired free when the alarm function stopped working a month before the three year warranty expired.

Sadly there seems to be no such thing as the "perfect store", they play games with prices to ensure that overall we still end up getting stung. Like our mammies, we've got to shop around to get best value. Only problem with that is how much it costs in petrol huh.gif

Got to go, just off to Lidl laugh.gif
carmella
I MISSED YOUR POST JUP PRIOR TO THE BIG RACE. I DIDN'T GO THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MANY YEARS BECAUSE IT IS A LOVELY DAY OUT.

MAUBE YOU'LL GRAB A BARGAIN AT ALDI OR LIDL, OR MAYBE IF YOU PICK THE RIGHT HORSEY YOU CAN BUY ALDI LOL
Jupiter
Carmella just home from Ayr plus two bottles of Sauvingon Blanc and a fistful of twenties.Done really well at the races for a wee change,backed three winners one at 33-1.7-4 and 5-1 as well as a second and third.
I think the sea air has got me as Im done in.I think my wife quite likes it along Prestwick way.
ashfield
Well done sir smile.gif

Really disappointed, opened my bottle of Glenrothes to try a wee(ish) dram tonight and my heart sank. It was so good, I'm disappointed that I didn't buy two bottles( at least) laugh.gif
carmella
OOOH I'm awful glad you did well at the big race. I wonder what the best dressed wee wumin gote this year - usually, it's an Audio - go faster and usually it's a silver wan haha.

Of course, had I been there - the other women wouldn't have had a look in and so I would have won the prize. You can tell I'm awfie modest.

Glad you did well - yep Ayr and Prestwick are nice wee toons.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (taurus @ 11th Apr 2014, 12:35am) *

Hi Taurus, there's an advert in yesterday paper with Glenlivet on special at 20pounds, seems your Aussie government's as greedy as the UK one.
wombat
rolleyes.gif we've got the freeloading royals here at present,we need the money clap.gif
taurus
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 14th Apr 2014, 04:29pm) *
Hi Taurus, there's an advert in yesterday paper with Glenlivet on special at 20pounds, seems your Aussie government's as greedy as the UK one.

You are so right,we know we are ripped off in so many things here,because we are at the bottom of the world,transport costs,and greedy suppliers in everything. We see that especially when we`re in the USA,the price comparison in so many things.A bottle of Glenmorangie is away up in the $80`s,so my husband stocks up in duty free,there`s always one of the family flying backwards and forwards from the UK,and now Qantas only fly via Dubai,their duty free is amazing.Anyway,with only having a wee dram every day,his stocks never really run done.Intersesting anyaway to hear the different prices in other countries.Plenty of cheap and nasty clothing around though from the 3rd world countries,the cheap shops are breeding.
Guvin Wullie
QUOTE (taurus @ 15th Apr 2014, 05:53am) *
You are so right,we know we are ripped off in so many things here,because we are at the bottom of the world,transport costs,and greedy suppliers in everything. We see that especially when we`re in the USA,the price comparison in so many things.A bottle of Glenmorangie is away up in the $80`s,so my husband stocks up in duty free,there`s always one of the family flying backwards and forwards from the UK,and now Qantas only fly via Dubai,their duty free is amazing.Anyway,with only having a wee dram every day,his stocks never really run done.Intersesting anyaway to hear the different prices in other countries.Plenty of cheap and nasty clothing around though from the 3rd world countries,the cheap shops are breeding.

Yes it is indeed a terrible country to live in. That's why Sydney and Melbourne have been given the title of the most livable cities in the world more times than any other city; only Vancouver gets up there constantly. One year Perth and Brisbane were along side them for third and fourth. I have lived in other cities, mainly Vancouver, and did see nothing that was not cheaper in Melbourne or Sydney. I am a pensioner but don't get a pension due to assets. I get Half price travel, pay only a nominal ammount for prescriptions and health care and can well afford the prices charged for beer wine and spirits. Food is also much less here than in most other countries. That is Quality food. Cheap and nasty clothing; come on! you dont even need to buy winter clothing outside of Tasmania and Victoria. And as for cheap and nasty, have you seen any Marks and Spencer brands lately. They could not complete for Bangladesh in th quality stakes here.
wellfield
I don't think you can beat the price of 'Scotch' here in America,the same applies to groceries/automobiles/housing/clothing/gasoline/cigarettes/beer,in fact almost every retail item you can think of is way cheaper in the U.S.......I'm always flabbergasted at the prices of everything in the whole of the UK when I've visited.
Tennscot
I always just say Pounds for dollars If you see a, say TV in usa for $350 it`ll show in UK 350 Pounds. Same make & model.!!Figure that!!! It`s the same in most items Food or goods.
wellfield
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 17th Apr 2014, 10:44am) *
I always just say Pounds for dollars If you see a, say TV in usa for $350 it`ll show in UK 350 Pounds. Same make & model.!!Figure that!!! It`s the same in most items Food or goods.
Totally agree Bro!.....the Brits get ripped off.
Talisman
QUOTE (wellfield @ 16th Apr 2014, 03:21am) *
I don't think you can beat the price of 'Scotch' here in America,the same applies to groceries/automobiles/housing/clothing/gasoline/cigarettes/beer,in fact almost every retail item you can think of is way cheaper in the U.S.......I'm always flabbergasted at the prices of everything in the whole of the UK when I've visited.

Doesnt quite work that way. Differentials, such as exchange rates, relative wage outcomes, disposable incomes etc all play a part in pricing. I was looking at power tools there and was unhappy to see that they were half of what I was paying in Australia. However on closer inspection I saw thet the brand "Millwaukie" was made in Mexico and not as mine was in Germany and the quality was Wal Mart. Remember America is the biggest buyers market in the world. In Australia although electrical goods are very inexpensive, alcohol is way above the world norm. This is due to social control and the fact that revenue on alcohol and tobaco is raised automatically every year. Also due to finacial disaster causing people to loose their homes en masse in the States, housing is much lower in costing. This is also subject to position. The U.K. has a Euro centric attitude to revenue imposts through duty and tax. There is little incentive to productivity when income tax and retail tax and import duties, local council rates, all add to a burden not normally seen in the States. Remember too that this plethora of tax is also imposed on retail rents, insurance, compulsory and otherwise further imposing on costs to the individual. It is a wonder that there is anything left over to indulge in retail spending.
Billy Boiling
QUOTE (wombat @ 14th Apr 2014, 08:39pm) *
rolleyes.gif we've got the freeloading royals here at present,we need the money clap.gif

We had to pay them to come here to take our minds of the corruption c...ap that is the prerogative of all Australian politicians; right, left and wrong. G-d bless wee Gordie, he actualy put on weight here. Long to reign over us filthy rich and glorious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.