Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2
GG
Glasgow nurses could now face the sack for parking without permits at the hospitals where they work. The dismissal threat comes after bosses at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said that they would take tough measures against nurses who do not pay £40 parking fines issued for their vehicles on hospital premises where they are working.

The news was delivered in an uncompromising staff memo, in which the health board – Scotland's ­biggest – said that they intend to escalate action against nurses who refuse to pay hospital parking fines.

The NHSGGC memo said:
"We will no longer be imposing fines on staff breaching the ­policy. Action will be taken by line managers and may include use of the disciplinary policy and ­procedure."

The Glasgow hospitals affected include Gartnavel Royal and General, the Southern General, the Royal ­Hospital for Sick Children, Stobhill, ­Victoria Infirmary and Western Infirmary.

Most nursing staff do not receive parking permits and are forced to leave patients every four hours and pay exhorbitant parking fees into coin-operated meters, including those facilities owned by private companies.

Even those staff lucky enough to get a permit for parking still face huge costs at some hospitals. Last November, nurses at the Royal Infirmary staged a protest over a 113% increase in fees. The cost of a "14-exit" monthly permit for Royal Infirmary car park had risen from £42 to £89.50.

Speaking about the sacking threat, a nurses' leader said:
"It looks as though nurses will be sacked if they continue to defy this unfair system."

Click to view attachment

GG.
Jupiter
Lets face it we hear of issues every day,we get uptight and put our thoughts down here but I have to say having read this makes me want to throw up.This has been festering for a while and I think it is time the Government stepped in and got it resolved.Why should nursing professionals have the worry about expired parking tickets when they are dealing with life/death situations.
Is it beyond the government and the NHS to sort this?
This threat of disciplinary action is just so ludicrous.It is a civil matter between the NHS and the non payer of the fine and certainly not a work related matter.
I want to hear from Ms Sturgeon tomorrow.
stratson
Yes jupiter, am with you on this matter. Time Scottish Health Minister ie. NICOLA STURGEON GOT HER FINGER OUT.!!!

All the promises made for Independant Scotland, let's get some action now.
Perhaps then you can prove to our nation it really can work.

Have never understood how this paying for hospital parking(particularly for staff on duty) ever happened, angry.gif
margie
In Full agreement with you Stratson. This is absolutely absurd. These nurses are under enough pressure without worrying about parking their cars.
Heather
As I have a few Nurse's in the family, I am angry that they are expected to pay for parking in the Hospitals they work in.
They have an early start when on an early shift, and a late finish when on a back shift.

Who ever it was decided to make Nurse's pay for this parking should be ashamed of themselves.

I am well aware that other people have to pay for parking when going to work, but Nurse's and Doctors provided a service we could not survive without.
andyguinness
This is just another type of going private, it is now common to place physio on contracts, when it ends, the waiting list is extended, or days of access are limited as i found out.
Jupiter
Ms Stugeon enquiry as Health Minister at scottish.ministers@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Harrymc
Is this how a modern society shows it's appreciation for the caring profession?We are constantly told how much the nurses are valued,particularly when a politician,of whatever persuasion,senses an opportunity to score some brownie points.They are among the lowest paid employees in the NHS and are being milked for more of their hard earned cash for the priviledge of parking at their place of work.What a disgrace!Paper shufflers and Heads of useless quangos cost the NHS a fortune and we can't afford to provide adequate parking for the most important people who care for us?
It's time Sturgeon and her like started to take some meaningful action!!!
Alex MacPhee
Even on sheer logistics -- how much will it cost to train a replacement nurse? It would be a whole lot cheaper to sack the ass who dreamt up this proposal.

JAGZ1876
I thought hospital parking was free, i attend Crosshouse hospital in Kilmarnock at least once a week and have never paid to park, the same when i visit the R.A.H In Paisley, or is it up to individual hospitals whether they charge or not?
chas1937
If all the major Supermarkets and places like Makro and Costco can provide free parking then it should be the same with hospitals.Every nurse and other employee should get a pass for free parking especially as more and more Hospitals are using Private companies now too build new spaces which they do for profit
Mrs L
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 25th Mar 2012, 08:30am) *
Even on sheer logistics -- how much will it cost to train a replacement nurse? It would be a whole lot cheaper to sack the ass who dreamt up this proposal.

Well said Alex!
Martas
QUOTE (Heather @ 25th Mar 2012, 03:35pm) *
As I have a few Nurse's in the family, I am angry that they are expected to pay for parking in the Hospitals they work in.
They have an early start when on an early shift, and a late finish when on a back shift.

Who ever it was decided to make Nurse's pay for this parking should be ashamed of themselves.

I am well aware that other people have to pay for parking when going to work, but Nurse's and Doctors provided a service we could not survive without.

I agree with you, Heather, as I had to have a blood transfusion overnight and the Nurse who was attending to me was very attemtive and friendly to me, even though she was tired.
People would suffer without Nurses to look after them.
That would include those who were deciding to make Nurses pay for parking.
john.mcn
Parking in hospitals is free except for workers/patients at the Royal infirmary. It was Labour who introduced the parking charges(not fines) and the SNP who stopped them, unfortunately the car park facilities at the Royal are privately funded so unless they buy them out at the cost of millions charges are there to stay. My wife is a nurse and told me of this memo last week, apparently there are few nurses who pay the charges if they dont move their car every 4 hours. I doubt very much that any nurse will face discinplinary action because quite simply the union will not stand for it, irrespective of the fact parking has nothing to do with their role as nurses.
wee davy
This is all highly emotive stuff - however, I do know many staff (doctors or nurses) who park innapropriately, are subject to fines at most hospitals in England & Wales. And so they should be.

For example, there are red line areas at my local hospital, where ALL are liable to fines for ignoring them. The lines are there for good reason very good reason SO THAT EMERGENCY VEHICLES HAVE UNHINDERED access!

Nurses are only human, and are just as capable of being inconsiderate as the next person. It really gets up my nose when they are elevated to god like status.

Having said all that - in the unlikely event anybody is ever brought before a tribunal for parking misdemeanors - they'll pretty swiftly be supported.

My statement bears NO relationship to the admiration and esteem I have personally for ALL members of the medical fraternity, no exceptions.
mlconnelly
I agree with what everyone here is saying, its wrong to be charging nurses parking fees never mind threatening their jobs.
Stratson, I don't know about any other hospital but 1 of the reasons they introduced parking fees at Gartnavel was because commuters were leaving their cars there and then using public transport into the city centre to avoid paying for parking, forcing staff and patients to park in the surrounding streets, which in turn caused problems for the people who live there. Although the fees have now been scrapped at Gartnavel, the parking is still a major problem. They seem to forget that the more they extend the hospital, they will have more patients, more staff and more visitors all trying to find somewhere to park in an ever decreasing carpark. There is a carpark for staff and doctors but most of the spaces need permits and most of them are allocated to doctors, especially doctors who work between 2 hospitals, as far as I'm aware.
Is it only nursing staff who are being threatened or is it all hospital staff including doctors?
Mary
Albanach
Hospitals are unlike most public buildings in that they exist for people who are frequently at their most vulnerable, the patients and friends and families who visit them. They are staffed by people who devote their lives to tending for the vulnerable. None of these people should be held to ransom by accountants who see them as a source of profit. I don't doubt that hospital car parks cost millions of pounds, but that is a worthwhile expense. It removes one level of worry from people who already have enough to worry about, it reduces the problems that their carers face, be they consultants, nurses, porters. It is an expense that should be seen as part of holistic treatment given by the hospital of which patients and staff are each components. Insofar as abuses are concerned, it should not be beyond the wit of administrators to devise appropriate systems to eliminate or, at least reduce them to manageable level.
Anon
Nurses who work shifts can get to and from work using public transport, so quite why they must take their cars to work in a situation where they can't afford the parking costs is beyond me. Most people aren't lucky enough to get a parking space at work. What's the issue really? Their shifts are no worse than your average call-centre staff's' and they get paid on average... double the money. They might have hard jobs, but they are a lot better off than many private sector workers I know. Another thing, My mother has macular degeneration which means her eye sight is failing her. When her clinic was at Gartnavel, it was ridiculous that I had to park in Kelvindale and walk her, rain hail or snow to the hospital because the carpark was constantly jammed with people who work there it seems! That's the scandal.
Jazzsaxman
It worries me to think of the little government termites who sit in their offices making up rules and eating away at the liberties and freedom of this once great country. It is these termites and not the government who rule the country. They are brainwashed into believing they are doing it for the good of everyone. Of course there are the ones who use their positions to make life difficult for others and get sad and perverse kick out of it and unfortunately these type are on the increase. Go out for a walk and see how many people smile or say hello or even say thank you if you hold the door for them. This is all about money and nothing else. I have never heard of anything so pathetic. Sacking nurses because they have to park in non allotted places, which lowlife thought of that one. This is supposed to be a democratic country. Those countries who tried to find a solution for the people problem ended up with concentration and hard labour camps. Nothing will change as long as we have the termites....
droschke7
Disgusting, how can this be right?
Jupiter
Anon, In case you werent aware First Bus are in the process of pulling services in many areas including parts of East Dunbartonshire and I know of two people at least who are having great difficulty a) getting into town for a 7am start and b) getting home at night after a late shift.
Brigitte
Never read so much rubbish. Who will look after the sick if nurses are sacked.
By the way, nurses are more than welcome here in Melbourne, Australia. There is a big shortage of nurses because of recent big migration and pay is good as well. cool.gif
Jupiter
Morning Brigitte and welcome to the boards.What is the rubbish you are referring to?
Got to ask,were you named after a famous Glasgow street rolleyes.gif ?Joop.
GG
Another aspect to this to consider is the fact that nurses and doctors who are handling money to pay into parking meters during their shifts will be coming into contact with far more germs than if they did not need to handle money for parking meters. That's a fact. Therefore, by having this policy, health boards are putting patient care at risk by promoting the opportunity for the spread of infections throughout hospitals. This in itself makes the policy absurd, not to metion dangerous.

Regarding public transport, often this will not be a viable option for many nurses who have early and out-of-hours shift patterns. And as Jupiter says, the bus service provided by First Glasgow over recent years has been one of rapidly diminishing provision, in terms of both routes and frequency.

GG.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Mar 2012, 07:27am) *
Got to ask,were you named after a famous Glasgow street rolleyes.gif ?Joop.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ?????????
Uptheartskool
I work in the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital and on the occasions where I take my car to work it is a complete hassle having to leave a busy post natal ward every 4 hours to pop £2 in the meter what's the point in this. Why can't you pay for a full day. Having said that the prices are too expensive and it's not always possible to leave an already understaffed ward to go for sometimes a 5-10 min walk to your car to top up the meter. It's not possible to get a space right outside the building unless you arrive 1 hour before your shift starts. For these reasons I tend not to bring my car but luckily I am able to do so. This is not the case for everyone and I think these parking charges should be scrapped or lowered to a discounted FULL DAY rate for staff.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Anon @ 25th Mar 2012, 09:26pm) *
Nurses who work shifts can get to and from work using public transport ... it was ridiculous that I had to park in Kelvindale and walk ... to the hospital because the carpark was constantly jammed with people who work there.

Couldn't you get the bus? rolleyes.gif
tombro
I've looked at the original story, I've read the comments, I've looked at the date and I'm still stunned !

I'm sure April 1st isn't until Sunday !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Exenon
A statement by "anon' about nurses getting the bus to work was quite clearly written by one having no possible conception of the shifts required by nurses to carry out their duties. Does "anon" see nurses and other medical professionals working 9 to 5 ? I think not. Does "anon" require nurses to walk home after midnight or wait for public transport that would not be forthcoming after midnight anywhere? A reality check is very much in evidence pertaining to this individuals cavalier attitude.

If these nurses are sacked Canada and Australia will welcome them with open arms and much better prospects.
wee davy
There's as much likelihood as a nurse getting the sack for a parking 'offence', as you or I being selected for the Mars mission, tombro!

The truth is, there never will be sufficient parking, for everybody - the real problem is infrastructure not being adequately provided. For example, what would be wrong with a a little shuttle bus scheme (similar to airports) where external/satellite parking could be provided for a small fee, to non staff, whilst nurses and doctors are allocated priority at each hospital???

I'm no Einstein, but I'm sure like someone else said, it is well within admin capabilities, to sort this out, once and for all.
jbeaver
What a load of crap. Nurses have difficult enough jobs without having to worry about where to park their cars. They should have free parking at their place of work. If it was not for the hard work of the nurses at the Victoria in Glasgow, my mum might not have survived the major surgery that she went through. They did a first class job.
john.mcn
Anon, my wife has to be at her station before 7 in morning for a 12 hour shift, for her to be able to do that she would need to get at least 2 buses or a bus, train then another bus, thats if of course buses were running at the time she would now have to leave. At the moment she gets in after 8 has dinner then falls asleep only to do the same several hours later. Do you really think it's wise to lengthen peoples day if they are already shattered and are looking after sick people?
Jim D
Unfortunately, nurses are not the 0nly ones subject to these charges. My wife was sent to The Royal to have a mole thing removed. She was told to bring a suitable person with her. I drove her there and parked in the carpark and paid the ticket. It was not cheap.

Some might not like this but nurses should not get everything free. There are many ocupations and patients who attend the hospital and all require to pay for their parking, if they want to take the car to their works doorstep. They could use public transport, park and ride etc.

THe NHS Glasgow allowed a private company to build a large multi-storey carpark at the hospital, rather than build the carpark themselves. It was their way of getting out of allowing free carparking and at the same time creating more parking space.. If the company have a problem with none payment then it is not the responsibility of the hospital. They should not be involved and have no right to know if you have received a ticket for non-payment. Neither should they supply any information as to the possible identity of the offending vehicle. Its called Data Protection!
mlconnelly
The 3 nearest hospitals to me are the Western Infirmary, Gartnavel and the Royal Infirmary and I can assure you JimD, I wouldn't like to be walking out of any of these hospitals after a late shift and then have to rely on public transport to get home. I get your point about the private carpark and your right it was a cop-out by GCC but it still doesn't make it right to charge anyone for parking at a hospital. Mary
Heather
Plus the fact that Nurse's go to work in the Hospital, not just for an occasional visit or an appointment

I certainly would not like to be standing at a bus stop on my own at 10-30pm /11-00pm waiting for a bus to make it's appearance, especially at the weekend with all the crime we read about by drunks, drug addicts and those who carry knives.

Rabbie
Loast fur words, well not quite. You ken me rolleyes.gif

See these days, this kind of twaddle comes as no great surprise. Perhaps the time has arrived for the public to say enough to all the PC and other heaps of manure that are getting dumped on us in willy nilly fashion by a shower of glaikit penpushing eejits. Eegits who are dire need of a reality check in the form of a goodly hoofing up the archiebald with a size 14 pitboot. Joop, you got yer size 12 plod boots handy?

Indeed, yet another sickening indicament that serves to show that bampots are trying to take over the world.

Just what are these shiny erses inepts going to do, sack all the nursing / medical staff? Aye right, thats got to be the cheap option. Clearly, a great deal of thought hasn't gone into this.

What ever happened to common sence, it appears to have deserted the UK.
Isobel
As the mother of an RN. I feel very strongly that parking charges are an outrage. My daughter had to pay even as a student nurse. I believe this is because the parking is nothing to do with the hospital, its all private companies.Our little hospital was always free,and then they started charging a dollar. How we all complained about that . Now its a private company and its a lot more expensive.The rotten bit about ours is there is a senior home in hospital grounds, so if you are visiting there a couple of times a week it sure mounts up.My friends mother is there and her friends from her building cant afford to go and visit with her .
In saying all that I feel no one should expect to get away with illegal,
parking nurses and doctors included.Give them their own free spot.
mlconnelly
A few months ago I had to go to the Southern General for a scan. While there I had a conversation with one of the nursing staff about the parking. She asked me where I had parked and I told her I was in the new multistorey carpark which seemed to me to be only about a 1/4 full. When I said how surprised I was at how empty the carpark was, she told me that nursing staff are not allowed to use it and that its always at least half empty. There is a carpark as you go into the hospital from Govan Rd and also parking outside some of the individual buildings, so I asked her where she could park and she told me they have to park on the main road or surrounding streets. Another hospital I would not like to leave after a late shift and to be dependent on public transport. Mary
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Mar 2012, 09:04am) *
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ?????????

I assumed it was the Bridgegate ("brig'ate").

Alex MacPhee
I can see the point of wanting to dissuade commuters who use hospital car parks as a commuting convenience. However, this is a technological age, and it is trivially easy to find technological solutions to this problem.

When my wife was able to travel in our car, the local authority had a scheme whereby our car registration number was 'known' to the system, and whenever we approached a council car park, a number recognition camera would scan every number and, recognising ours, would open the car park barrier allowing us to enter (and leave) at no charge. Just in case there was a camera malfunction, we also had a 'proximity card' which we could wave at the car park entrance, which would also open the barriers.

There is certainly no technical or logistic reason why medical staff cannot be separated from visitors or commuters.
Exenon
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 26th Mar 2012, 11:19pm) *
I can see the point of wanting to dissuade commuters who use hospital car parks as a commuting convenience. However, this is a technological age, and it is trivially easy to find technological solutions to this problem.

When my wife was able to travel in our car, the local authority had a scheme whereby our car registration number was 'known' to the system, and whenever we approached a council car park, a number recognition camera would scan every number and, recognising ours, would open the car park barrier allowing us to enter (and leave) at no charge. Just in case there was a camera malfunction, we also had a 'proximity card' which we could wave at the car park entrance, which would also open the barriers.

There is certainly no technical or logistic reason why medical staff cannot be separated from visitors or commuters.

Dont know if you have ever been to Hong Kong and used an "Octopus card"? It is used mainly for transport fares and small purchases on the run. There is no need to remove it from your wallet to scan it. Just touch your wallet to the scanner and it reads through it, charges the exact purchase amount and debits your prepaid credit. Now why is this technology, available for as far as I know for about 10 years now, not available for a simple car park ticket. Scotland is fast drifting down the third world road.
GG
QUOTE (stratson @ 25th Mar 2012, 02:22pm) *
Yes jupiter, am with you on this matter. Time Scottish Health Minister ie. NICOLA STURGEON GOT HER FINGER OUT.!!!

All the promises made for Independant Scotland, let's get some action now.
Perhaps then you can prove to our nation it really can work.

Have never understood how this paying for hospital parking(particularly for staff on duty) ever happened, angry.gif

Jupiter, Stratson, agreed! So far, there has been no reaction from Nicola Sturgeon on the main issue here: the harassment of nurses by health bosses who appear to be acting as proxy debt collectors for a private car parking management firm at seven city hospitals.

There is also the related issue of exhorbitant car parking costs charged by another private company at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Staff, patients and visitors are daily being charged huge fees to leave their cars in the GRI's PFI-built hospital car park. As Glasgow has the worst health record in the country, this amounts to a dispoportionate additional charge to Glaswegians, especially poor Glaswegians who are more likely to suffer poor health.

GG.
tombro
Simple !

Employers should provide free parking for all employees, the NHS and Private Hospitals should provide free parking for all customers.

The sticking point is that there is always that group of skinflints who, if given the opportunity of free parking anywhere, will take it.

Hospitals can issue staff with passes, but they still would have no control over others who park in their grounds. Maybe a solution could be that, after a consultation in the hospital, patients could be provided with a gate pass that allows them a free exit from the parking area.

Most hospital car parks do have either a machine or a posted operator who could oversee such a problem.

Tombro
zascot
QUOTE (Exenon @ 27th Mar 2012, 03:49am) *
There is no need to remove it from your wallet to scan it. Just touch your wallet to the scanner and it reads through it,

We have the same system in a lot of the plants here, it also clocks the guys on and off and on strict companies selects random numbers for breathalysing.
John B
An Absolute Disgrace that these Angels should be treated like this (and in a wonderful city like Glasgow) makes it even more disgusting.

It's time the public done something to back up the Nurses, as we would be lost without their tender care !
Heather
The Buses here in Scotland have a scanner for the free Bus Pass that OAPs get. No need to remove the Pass from the wallet as it scans the Pass.
Scotsman
It always seems to be the people at the bottom of the pile who are the ones who get hit with all the high costs and fines. I wonder if Mrs Sturgeon relies on the hospitals in Glasgow or does she have a nice wee package that allows her not to worry about NHS hospitals because she knows she can go private if she has to?? Would she be happy for one of her family members to be treated by a nurse who is worrying about whether she needs to go out and feed the parking meter??

There really must be a point I think when people just get so tired of being treated like idiots by politicians at every single opportunity. Does Mrs Sturgeon get free parking at her place of work.... I wonder??
zascot
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 27th Mar 2012, 05:42pm) *
There really must be a point I think when people just get so tired of being treated like idiots by politicians at every single opportunity. Does Mrs Sturgeon get free parking at her place of work.... I wonder??

Very good question, she probably just sends her chauffer to find a wee spot in a side street and wait for her. biggrin.gif
john.mcn
My wife says they are discussing this at work and the talk is the Union are in agreement with this policy ohmy.gif, time to start a new Union methinks.

Anyway I remember when my wife had to pay to park at the southern and much like happened when Barrhead main street shopping started parking charges, all the surrounding streets were chock full of council workers cars, not nice if you actually stayed in those streets and certainly made them unsafe for kids. Now the charges are removed the streets are again empty but you cant get bloody parked if you need to nip down to farmfoods biggrin.gif
*ozzy ian 123*
Hi, we here in Australia are in the same situation our nurses have to pay outrageous fees & fines. What I would like to know is what do the bosses do for parking, do they have special passes if so why would they worry. Free parking haha how do they sleep at night, not very good I hope!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.