Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ashamed
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
Jupiter
It has been suggested that I should be ashamed as I dont cast a vote at elections.Im not.
On the subject what have you done to cause you to be ashamed? eg dodged your bus fare,you know what I mean.Keep it light! rolleyes.gif
wee davy
Dodging bus fares?

Mair like KEEPING it fer sweeties, Joop!
Every penny dainty that went doon ma throat wiz a shame - fur ma teeth!
laugh.gif
GG
I am ashamed of the standard of teaching and learning in schools in Glasgow: the worst in Scotland, possibly in the whole of the UK, and getting worse by the year. Surely the very least a city can do is help give our children a decent start in life ...?

GG.
TeeHeeHee
I also think it's a great shame that teaching and learning standards are so dismal but on a personal level I've never been ashamed of anything I've ever done; be it a dodged fare or stolen food. Everything I've ever done was; for me, the right thing at that time. In the same situation I'd do the same again with the exception that I'd go for the steak instead of the sausage. Hang me rather for a sheep than a lamb and be damned. tongue.gif
benny
I think that saying you've never felt ashamed of anything you did or said, would mean you had either to be a saint, or someone with no conscience whatsoever. I don't know anybody who falls into the first category, but I've known a few in the latter.

As for myself, yes, I've felt deeply ashamed a few times in my life - but ah'm no gaun intae details. biggrin.gif
beth
Hard to pinpoint cos there has been different times and different reasons, but I get really ashamed when I reply nastily to the old folk I work with, even though it is deserved. I should know better, but the problem is that some of them are the same age as me!!
GG
Ah ... on a personal level?

I'm not so sure I don't disagree with THH: being ashamed of something you did - or didn't do - is a very negative emotional trait which can eat away at your self-confidence and, to use William McIlvanney's great phrase, your sense of oneself. I think it is better to reflect on the decisions and choices you made in life and see them as being the best you could make at the time, flawed though they might be. If you've learned since making those decisions then that is a good thing, as is understanding how you might be better equipped to make better choices in the future.

That aside, I did own a pair of burgundy jumbo cords in the 80s!

GG.
Dylan
I have to agree with Benny.
Melody
Me too Benny, if we have no shame or guilt then we are monsters.
bilbo.s
Quite agree, although I am sure Tomi is not a monster.
Melody
Well ah hope not bilbo.s laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
If I am then I'm only a wee wan. unsure.gif biggrin.gif
The point I was makin' was that I couldn't afford to be ashamed of my actions sometimes as I was makin' my way through life on my own. It didn't mean I didn't have a conscience but sometimes you have to ignore that too for survivals sake; mental as well as physical.
It got me where I am today: Still alive and happy at my age. tongue.gif
Melody
Well ye obviously have a conscience about things THH otherwise you wouldn't remember the things you refer to. smile.gif It's awright yer no a monster laugh.gif
kenb
i am with you tee i dont remember being ashamed but ii do remember being a bit un happy about daft things butdoes it make me a monster no it made me me.

there are always diffrent opinions in life but keep it non personal

cheers kenb tongue.gif
mlconnelly
I'm no saint and most definitely have a conscience but I'm not ashamed of anything I've done or not done as the case may be. Embarrassed, probably, but never ashamed. GG, I've had more fashion disasters than I care to remember. Mary laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Melody @ 21st Mar 2012, 09:39am) *
Well ye obviously have a conscience about things THH ... It's awright yer no a monster laugh.gif

We've got ma mammy ... and the Bethany Hall ... to thank for that. laugh.gif
Jupiter
Glad to see shame is not in your psyche Mary.
rolleyes.gif
mlconnelly
As I've said Jupiter, I've nothing to be ashamed of, (I use my vote). Mary tongue.gif
Melody
Well THH you have absolutely no excuse for being shameless as you received your emotional and intellectual education from two of the the best sources in the world. laugh.gif
wombat
laugh.gif Ah'll take the fifth oan this wan smile.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wombat @ 21st Mar 2012, 07:55pm) *
laugh.gif Ah'll take the fifth oan this wan smile.gif

Ah prefer a quarter gill masel ! rolleyes.gif
wee davy
QUOTE (GG @ 21st Mar 2012, 07:56am) *
That aside, I did own a pair of burgundy jumbo cords in the 80s!
GG.

Now THATS proof you have no shame, GG laugh.gif

I've been pondering (as only a Catholic might lol) about this shame/guilt thing - seeing as its the season of Lent.
Is it really so unhealthy to feel these emotions?

I would contend that to search one's conscience at least ONCE per year, might not be such a bad thing.

Lent is the time traditionally, Christians are meant to do it - however this doesn't stop reflection on our behaviour/actions/lack of action at other times throughout the year. Of course it becomes unhealthy if we allow our mistakes/imperfections to become sources of continuous grief.

IMO however, when all said and done - and on reflection - it can only make us better people - if we spend at least some time in that desert - if not the whole 40 days and nights!

Hope thats not too deep folks.

I do believe if we were all to answer Joop's question honestly - we wouldn't have too much of a problem coming up with episodes where we are less than proud of ourselves - and it is good to be mindful of our imperfections.

End of sermon smile.gif
Jupiter
weedavy,quite a thought provoking post.On reflection I suppose there are a few things that from a personal point of view would fit into a category of regret rather than ashamed.
By that I mean perhaps not devoting enough time to things I should have.Not enough to make me want to beat myself up about but enough to make me think,"If only Id done this/that differently"
I was then thinking on the different degrees in the state of being ashamed,shameful,shameless?
Im sure its all down to the individual and how that particular persons conscience functions which has the bearing on how they feel. rolleyes.gif
Nice day,I off to the museum.
wee davy
Enjoy, Joop.
Don't you feel guilty about all those who are not able to! wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Mar 2012, 12:21pm) *
... On reflection I suppose there are a few things that from a personal point of view would fit into a category of regret rather than ashamed.

How true Joop.
At the early age of 15-16 I made a golden rule for myself and it was that I'd never regret any decisions that I had to make on my wee journey through life.
By the time I reached 17-18 I had to add the 1st Amendment which was never to dwell on any regrets I might have on decisions I had to make on that wee journey. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
wee davy
I must be on my 25th, THEE lol
Dylan
Peter Tobin is ashamed of nothing he has done.!

I suppose it depends on what each of us means by " Ashamed ".

To some it is regret or not proud of some action or simply feeling guilty.

To me it is a catch all covering these emotions . It does not need to call for sack cloth and ashes !

I know someone who can cheat, steal and lie and never feel any of these.!

I know others who do none of these but have a conscience born from a code of ethics.

mlconnelly
I don't think there is any point in regrets. We all make mistakes at some time in our lives and as long as we learn from the mistakes, there's no point in giving ourselves a hard time about it. Mary
Jupiter
Ive just had a hard time of it in the Transport Museum Cafe,prices to match any west end establishment.
ashfield
What did you expect Jupiter, them to have a red face at taking your money rolleyes.gif
Jupiter
Regrets ? I couldnt talk them into a discount.
Seriously though, a bit pricey for whats on offer.
zascot
Regrets I`ve had a few, but there again to few to ?
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Mar 2012, 09:13pm) *

I have said this before on other threads, but I do wish that posters wouldn't describe prices as extortionate or otherwise without quoting actual figures. Then we can all judge for ourselves. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Mar 2012, 09:13pm) *

I have said this before on other threads, but I do wish that posters wouldn't describe prices as extortionate or otherwise without quoting actual figures. If prices were given, then we could all judge for ourselves. unsure.gif
Jupiter
Well £17 for two sandwiches,wee bowl of chips twa coffees.Howzat Bilbo Howzat?
rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Mar 2012, 10:55am) *
:

Thanks, but no thanks ! laugh.gif

Is Michael O´Leary in charge there ? rolleyes.gif
wee davy
Did ye no get two free tickets tae the Olympic Opening Ceremony thrown in Joop?
Jupiter
Im glad you chappies agree here.I dont mind splashing the cash but having perused the menu I waasnt for telling my friend lets go.I did think it was OTT as were the motor car plastered on the wall away up a kai.
My friend lives in Stratford and has invited me down but I honestly would not cross the road to see an Olympic event.The time I watched was when it was in Tokyo because I liked the tune they played,nice wee number.
As for the Commonwealth games here dont get me started! Poor folk evicted and all that.
rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Well, Joop, we are at least agreed on one thing- the olympics ! smile.gif What a waste of money and time. What a rip-off !
ashfield
Aye, they should be ashamed tongue.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Mar 2012, 10:55am) *
rolleyes.gif

I would say that's pretty much par for the course these days. The mark up is between 400 and 700 percent for most food outlets to cover overheads and make money. I'm not saying it's good value but any of the eating places in the museums will be charging the same.

I know this is off topic but I wonder what folk think it's reasonable to pay for lunch or an evening meal out. Perhaps needs a new thread unsure.gif
Jupiter
I suppose I really should get out more and I do suppose they do have to make a profit.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Mar 2012, 02:30pm) *
I suppose I really should get out more and I do suppose they do have to make a profit.

Well they won´t be making it from me, and I do not use the catering service of Ryanair, or UK motorway services. angry.gif
wee davy
£17 is simply daylight robbery, ash. It does NOT reflect overheads. But then historically speaking, these establishments have been on the make since time in memoriam.

I'm no regular lunchgoer, but I would expect to get change from £25-£30 for a lunch for two - a proper lunch - not a snack.

Double that for an evening meal.

Joops 'fair' cost - Sandwiches £2.50? Chips £1? Coffees £1.50? at most
bilbo.s
I would go along with that, more or less, Davy. I suppose I will be accused of being spoilt, living in Spain, where a coffee is still 85p, a fixed price lunch 8 pounds 50 including drink, and tapas provided free with every bar drink ( at least in Granada, Jaén and Almería provinces.)

It is also true, in my experience, that there is not the same tradition here of ripping- off punters near tourist attractions, museums etc. For example , at the Alhambra, Spain´s most visited attraction, one can buy a beer, a coke or a sandwich at normal prices. Compare that to the London tourist traps ! Also available are normal priced restaurants and cafés in service areas of the autovías.

I must add that I was quite pleased with my eating-out experiences in Scotland in January, but you have to shop-around as everywhere.
ashfield
QUOTE (wee davy @ 23rd Mar 2012, 03:11pm) *
Joops 'fair' cost - Sandwiches £2.50? Chips £1? Coffees £1.50? at most

Davy, you might pay that here, if you stop off at one of the snack vans that sit around industrial estates. In fact, Boots, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda etc, wil charge you upwards of £2 for a takeaway sandwich. If you expect a seat, and plates, it will cost more Most restaurants have fixed price menus at lunchtime and, I think, offer better value than most of the places doing sandwich/toastie/wrap etc menus. The problem is the cost of drinks, add a soft drink and/or tea/coffee and the bill jumps 3 or 4 quid.
bilbo.s
Best UK value for lunch is probably Chinese or Indian restaurants. They make their profit in the evenings and on alcohol. Cheapest lunches in Spain are also Chinese but with normal drink prices. Pub grub in UK is probably the best deal- I previously mentioned Lauder´s. Even Wetherspoon´s, if you find a good one.(They do exist!)

There is a difference between making a profit and profiteering btw. Motorway service joints and airports fall into the latter category. Mind you, UK airports are a bargain compared to Dalaman

Also, if you find a reasonably priced UK restaurant, the price can easily DOUBLE if you add an apéritif and a bottle of wine. Forget the liqueurs !
Alex MacPhee
I think the earliest recollection I have of feeling ashamed of something, was when I was in a shop getting some stuff for my mum, tendered a two-bob bit and was given change for half a crown. In those days, a tanner was the price of a big bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk. My shame was put in the balance with a bar of chocolate and was, however, found wanting.
Doug1
Many years ago ah was on a cal mac ferry heading out to the islands. i was queuing up waiting to buy a meal when i realized my wallet was in the car. The lass in the self service restaurant felt sorry for me and gave me a full meal when i told her i would send the money to Cal mac. I'm ashamed to say i never did send the money. What made me feel worse was that after scoffing the excellent meal i went back for a really delicious pudding and a couple of chocky biscuits as well blush.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 20th Jun 2012, 08:48am) *
Many years ago ah was on a cal mac ferry heading out to the islands. i was queuing up waiting to buy a meal when i realized my wallet was in the car. The lass in the self service restaurant felt sorry for me and gave me a full meal when i told her i would send the money to Cal mac. I'm ashamed to say i never did send the money. What made me feel worse was that after scoffing the excellent meal i went back for a really delicious pudding and a couple of chocky biscuits as well blush.gif

Why didn't you pay on the return journey?
wee davy
Whit dae ye want, jagz - BLOOD? lol laugh.gif Anyways - he probably left his wallet in the islands wink.gif soz he'd try and wangle anither wan lol laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.