Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garscube Road
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
shoosie
Hello all,im on the search for a photo of the building my hubby was born in during the 1960's .The address is 905 Garscube Road.Iv been told the close which led to there flat was near the Queens Cross Vaults.If your looking at the Vaults i think its to the left but im having difficulty finding a clear photo.Any help will be greatly appreciated smile.gif
Rab-oldname
Is there no City resident who can help this lady oot?
ashfield
There are photo's of Garscube Road on the Possilpark, Maryhill and Cowcaddens threads, don't know if any of them close to the pub mentioned though.
ashfield
This is from the oldpubs web site

Click to view attachment
Jupiter
That is the very place the poster is after.
andypisces
good pic with the old toilets and the snooker hall above the pub anda decent view down both garscube road and maryhill rd..lots of happy memories of this area
shoosie
Thanks everyone ! this is actually the photo i have,im looking for more of a front view of the street to the left as im sure the close is near there..x
Jupiter
A wee bit info for shoosie et al.The picture shown is a building by the eminent Scottish architect Alexander Greek Thomson,that is the part above the pub and the sweeping curve of the tenement down Maryhill Road.Quite amazing to think that building was there and across the road is Queens Cross Church,designed by Charles Rennie McIntosh.
I grew up there totally unaware that two men,described as " two of the greatest architects of the western world" had contributed to the area.
Sadly Thomsons building was demolished in the 70s.
wee davy
Hi Joop
Your assertion Greek Thompson was responsible for the building in the pic I think is unsubstantiated. I think I myself have read somewhere influence with pretty much ALL the tenement building in the city, during his 'reign' is quite likely.
Mackintosh is indeed responsible for Queens Cross Church.

History seems to favour Thompson's more 'grander' commercial buildings, however.
(For obvious reasons, I would have thought).

All that aside, the Glasgow of the Victorian years is now long gone - with so few examples remaining, of the explosion of architectural excellence.

I think Mackintosh was the more talented of the two, all round, though.
His originality in everything he turned his eye to, was magnificent. He was also a GLASWEGIAN! smile.gif Quite possibly one of the greatest all rounders we have ever produced.
Jupiter
weedavy,I came across a site www.johnmckean.co.uk where I found a couple of pics of Queens Cross,where I grew up and I was amazed to find the Greek Thomson info.
Have a wee look at the site.Im about to email the chap.
Joop
rolleyes.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
I was in the Queen's Cross area in July last year, doing the nostalgia trip once again. I would dearly have loved to see inside the Rennie McIntosh church but was disappointed it was closed. I grew up closeby - in Hinshaw Street - and remember being trusted by my Dad to take a few pounds of his hard earned money to deposit in a bank near the church (probably Bank of Scotland). Thanks for the memories.

Will look up the John McKean site, Joop, when I get a bit of time.
Jupiter
Scots Kiwi Lass that bank was probably the Savings Bank of Glasgow at the corner at Northpark Street.Im sure the picture on here of the cross is one of John McKeans.
Check out the Glasgow Evening Times Communities page for Maryhill where you will find quite a number of post from people in the Hinshaw Street vicinity.
wee davy
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 10th Apr 2012, 07:17pm) *
weedavy,I came across a site www.johnmckean.co.uk where I found a couple of pics of Queens Cross,where I grew up and I was amazed to find the Greek Thomson info.
Have a wee look at the site.Im about to email the chap.
Joop
rolleyes.gif

Interesting chappie!
I expect if HE says its Thompson - there's more than a fair chance lol
I would be interested in what his source was.
Are you studying the subject, Joop? Could think of worse things to do thumbup.gif
Jupiter
weedavy,The history of the church is well documented but I was trying to find a picture of 905 Garscube Road for one of our posters when I came across the McKean site.As a local lad neither me nor any of my contemporaries paid any attention to the buildings and now I find the Greek Thomson building it is too late to appreciate it.The thought crossed my mind that in the early 70s the council pulled down the tenements but retained the red sandstones in the vicinity.I wonder if they were aware that Thomson was the architect of the building at the junction or Gushet as we called it?
Im putting a letter together to send to McKean and hopefully I can get a couple of prints.
Just to let you know I check facts out before I put them on here.If Ive no accurate info facts or figures or other data I make that clear.
Joop. rolleyes.gif
ashfield
This is from the Alexander Thomson Society's list of his buildings

"QUEEN'S CROSS, 504-554 MARYHILL ROAD / 897-925 GARSCUBE ROAD
†New block of tenements with shops below, 1875
Demolished in phases c.1980
McFadzean; Iain B. Miller 'Three Thomson Tenements' Macdiss 1980*;
AA*; S&McK*
Large block of four-storey tenements running along two streets, with a
two-storey shop placed at the acute corner, completed in 1875. The
Queen's Cross Church designed by C.R. Mackintosh for Honeyman &
Keppie later rose on the opposite side of Garscube Road.
"
Jupiter
Ashfield,thanks for putting that info on.Im really knocked out to find out about this.It was definately unappreciated and I have no doubt it would have been magnificent had it been restored.
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Dimairt
Here's a clearer view of the Thomson building on the Maryhill Rd side.

Durachdan,

Eddy
wee davy
Am I right in thinking there was a pawnshop in that row? If so, it was the only one I was ever in. I have no idea what kind of transaction took place (a ring seems to vaguely come into the picture), but I very definitely recall the visit. You might have had to climb stairs to get to it.
As regards tenements, these were probably an exceptional example of his work. A great shame they were destroyed. Thats town planners for you. A little bit of forward thinking would've brought Queens Cross back to former glory.

I think most of us do our best to quote accurate source material, Joop.
I wasn't suggesting you were B**l*****ing.
If truth were told, I just think half of what WE would recall of 'old' Glasgow would have been down to him - which is simply not the case. Furthermore I wouldn't put it past the Thompson Society to make exagerated claims.
These buildings were built, 1875 - the same year Greek Thompson died!
So I think it safe to say, he did NOT supervise the build lol

ashfield
Davy, I understand your scepticism but given that Thomson was the architect (rather than foreman), and a building of this size would probably be at least 5 years (or perhaps more) in the building, is the timeline not reasonable.
Jupiter
weedavy I didnt take you for being part of pawnlife!Ashfield another nice wee bit of info.
Anyway there were in fact two pawns in the vicinity.McManus had a pawn at about 800 Garscube Road,and Kings Pawn was at the corner of Kirland Street and Maryhill Road.If you look at McKeans pictures there is someone holding a childs hand outside Kings.It was a magnificent place and the windows were full of all sorts of interesting artefacts and curios.On the other McKean pic you can certainly see the tenement where McManus`s pawn was although you cant see the balls.
There was also a pawn shop down at The Round Toll.
Again Eddy you have come up witha great picture.
ashfield
Jupiter, Rab has a link to urbanglasgow and there is a photo from a different angle on their site. It is in the Glasgow part 1 section.
wee davy
It would have been King's Pawn.

I vaguely now recall it might have been with an auntie who lived just up from the Church, almost on the corner of Bilsland Drive. It was probably a wedding ring to her first husband, which I don't believe was ever retrieved lol
Yes, it was a veritable Aladdin's cave of a place - with all kinds of 'goodies' in its display windows.
(Bowie knives, chibs etc laugh.gif )
ashfield
Very good Davy, going to see "uncle" wi' yir Auntie laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.