Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donald Trump
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
ashfield
Mr Trump (well named if you ask me) has said he will sue the Scottish Government if they go ahead with proposals for a windfarm off the coast of Scotland. He said we (the Scottish), would look foolish in the eyes of the world. Does this guy own a mirror rolleyes.gif

I sort of knew that letting this man start a development in Scotland would all end up in tears but I did think it would take a little longer. Billy Connelly had the measure of Trump in his programme about Route 66.

Regardless of how anyone feels about windfarms, has this clown got the right to dictate to the people of Scotland?

I'll sue the Scottish Government
bilbo.s
He´d be better suing his wigmaker ! laugh.gif
ashfield
Or advertising Shredded Wheat rolleyes.gif
Melody
Ye wonder who these people think they are. mad.gif
irrie
Seem to remember our First Minister intervened personally on this mans behalf. Now he is in bed with another person of lets say dubious reputation. I am beginning to seriously doubt his judgement. Cheers
wombat
QUOTE (Melody @ 1st Mar 2012, 10:29am) *
Ye wonder who these people think they are. mad.gif

he's a big ego wie a big mooth tae match melody,mind when he wis "speculatin" the presidency of US.
sez he wid tell the chinese tae get stuffed,over US debts tae china(billions)and not pey,idiots like this start wars,and "profit" from wars jist like the rothschilds did wie war bonds. mad.gif
Scotsman
Well said!!

We have a great history and live in a great country and part of that greatness is that we dont bend over to some rich loudmouth who starts shouting the odds because things happen that he disnae like. Grow up son, the worlds not just about you!!
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 2nd Mar 2012, 01:52pm) *
Well said!!

We have a great history and live in a great country and part of that greatness is that we dont bend over to some rich loudmouth who starts shouting the odds because things happen that he disnae like. Grow up son, the worlds not just about you!!

Unfortunitly Scotsman, Politicians dont live in our world they live in a world of compromise a world of political expediency that most average people cant understand, myself included

Dont be suprised if he gets what he wants.
Dylan
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 1st Mar 2012, 09:01am) *
He´d be better suing his wigmaker ! laugh.gif

It's a Wig ?
lindamcf
serious questions,
Why does he think he is allowed any say in what goes on here ?
We all know that he doesn't want he view from his little golf course spoiled, but what would be his "legal rights" in trying to interfere with the decisions and workings of a foreign country?.
linglis
He can take his Golf course and stick it where the sun dont shine.
He is not dealing with some tinpot Dictator impressed with his money.
Rabbie
Donald Who?
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (lindamcf @ 2nd Mar 2012, 02:43pm) *
serious questions,
Why does he think he is allowed any say in what goes on here ? ...

Money Talks ... and people listen to what it says.
Isobel
in a letter last week, Mr Trump told the First Minister that he was "hell-bent on destroying Scotland's coastline" with wind turbines, which he described as "ugly monstrosities" and "horrendous machines".

I don't like the man at all. However this statement is in my mind true.
angel
tee says

Money Talks ... and people listen to what it says.

-------------------------
An thats a fact !
If the price is right .

ashfield
Can anyone tell me from what planet this guy hails from confused2.gif

Having watched his performance at the Scottish Parliament today I am convinced he is Trump by name, bag of wind by nature yes.gif
Jupiter
I didnt watch Trump in Parliament today but saw his noisy exit with pro and anti wind turbinists(for want of a better word).The wind farms are an emotive subject but as I dont know much about them I wont comment except to say I do think they are a blot on the landscape.
Re Trump,appearance aside ,he is a wealthy ,wealthy guy who has identified an opportunity for investment in the north east.He has put his money down and plenty of it to create a golf complex and new housing.He will create jobs,futures and wealth.His plans have caused controversy but are as far as Im aware are going ahead.A number of people will be rehoused and probably a few birds nests destroyed and that is extremely unfortunate but I suggest it is a small price to pay for the benefits being brought to the country.I initially took the view that Trumps comments were out of order but now knowing he was told(according to him) by the government that no wind farms would be built in the vicinity of his development and finding this is about to happen Im sure he is entitled to air his opinion on the matter.
I just wonder what other would be investors/entrepreneurs would make of this.
ashfield
Jupiter, I have no doubt this guy has influence........and possibly money. As far as the golf course goes, I have no idea how much employment it will bring to the area but, if it is anything like the last course built (Loch Lomond) it won't be much. It won't be a course for the ordinary Joe either.

I have mixed views on wind turbines, the site at Whitelee is fine as far as I'm concerned but there are other places where I'm sure they would spoil the landscape (or seascape). There are also the arguments about how efficient they are, to be honest I don't know.

My complaint about Trump is his believe he can dictate to our country and, by definition, our people, on issues of national policy. He has held up work on his golf course, supposedly as a threat to the Scottish Government, I would be happy to wager that the real reason is more to do with funding issues.
Jupiter
Ashfield all I can see that Trump is doing is asking some hard questions about the development.
I wouldnt call it dictating policy.
As for your doubts on his funding capability have a wee look at www.trump.com and tell me your jaw didnt drop.
rolleyes.gif
Jim D
As much as Trump is a pain in the butt, he made a lot of sense.

I have no doubt he spoke with Jack McConnell and Alex Salmond regarding his concerns a a possible wind farm being built.

I have no doubt they both gave him assurances.

With the potential for such a carbunkle to blot the landscape, it makes sense that he would have queried it.

The golf development has already cost 10s of millions. The Clubhouse will cost a fair amount also. If the course is being rated as "The best in the World" then you can be assured it will bring big money to the area. Especially if it get on the list for future venues for The Open. Tell me that Turnberry or Troon doesn't bring massive income to Ayrshire.

His investment is a large some for Scotland but as he says - not for him and his business interests.

He also quoted facts regarding the efficiency of wind energy. About Scotland getting them supplied from China! A country which is massively polluting the environment.

He also stated the fact that he could have chosen Ireland instead of Scotland. I believe him. We lose out of people looking for film locations in Scotland because the countryside is spoiled by Pylons as it is. The new one is windfarms. This is worse as they are much taller and in larger clusters.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Jim D @ 26th Apr 2012, 03:03pm) *
I have no doubt he spoke with Jack McConnell and Alex Salmond regarding his concerns a a possible wind farm being built.

I have no doubt they both gave him assurances.

He also stated the fact that he could have chosen Ireland instead of Scotland. I believe him. We lose out of people looking for film locations in Scotland because the countryside is spoiled by Pylons

How do you know he spoke to Jack Mc Connell and Alex Salmond?

How do you know they both gave him assurances?

And the only reason Scotland loses out to Ireland when it comes to attracting filming and other industries is that, unlike Scotland, Ireland has control of it's own taxation and can offer far better rates of corporate tax for overseas investors.
ashfield
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Apr 2012, 03:40pm) *
Ashfield all I can see that Trump is doing is asking some hard questions about the development.
I wouldnt call it dictating policy.

So you wouldn't call threatening to hit the Scottish Government with lawsuits trying to dictate policy?
Jupiter
JAGZ1876,the fact that Trump spoke to Messrs Salmond and McConnell is on the record(although I will stand corrected) therefore when it comes to the rest of his assertions we have one thing to look at..his credibility as a businessman and entrepreneur and Im in no doubt he was given certain assurances.Why else would he and his entourage come halfway round the world to raise the issue.
Clearly he has no say in what goes on offshore from Mennie but if two First Ministers gave him assurances which are then reneged on I do think he has a beef and he is not the kind of guy to invest millions to get messed about in this manner.
For some reason there seems to be some sort of agenda against Trump and I dont know why.The guy is making a massive investment in Scotland and we could do with more of it.
Melody
He seems to be a total stranger to the hairdressers. huh.gif
Jupiter
So was Yul Bryner and he was a star. rolleyes.gif
Comb over, comb under, comb round about.
Whose got the hair spray?
Jim D
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 26th Apr 2012, 04:30pm) *
How do you know he spoke to Jack Mc Connell and Alex Salmond?

How do you know they both gave him assurances?

And the only reason Scotland loses out to Ireland when it comes to attracting filming and other industries is that, unlike Scotland, Ireland has control of it's own taxation and can offer far better rates of corporate tax for overseas investors.

McConnell and Salmond have both admitted they had talks with Trump! Until recently, Salmond and him appeared to be bosom buddies! Trump has the reputation of being a very creditable business man around the world. He would have done thorough homework prior to making the investment. He would have known of any talk of a windfarm. He has stated that the subject of a potential windfarm had been spoken about. He's says both 1st Ministers dismissed it. Why then should he invest mega bucks then kick up a storm????

Are our politicians trying to keep their heads down in the event that they get embroiled in another "Murdoch" type enquiry? Just a thought.

Mr Salmond was also bosom buddies with Murdoch not that long ago. There is no doubt that his party benefitted from the attention the Scottish Sun, who avidly supported his election campaign.

As for Trump saying that he could have invested in Ireland if he thought windfarms would be a problem? Yes, they have a great amount of unspoiled land and coastline. If we go back to the film Braveheart, they had to film in Ireland. The landscape is similar to Scotland but Scotland is spoiled by Pylons (and windfarms now). The Scottish Government even sanctioned more pylons over the central belt of Scotland, in sight of Stirling Castle and the Wallace monument while others were advocating that the cables should be buried.

It wasn't that decades ago when the oil industry were forced to bury oil pipes from the North Sea down to Grangemouth and beyond.
GG
Salmond: Trump knew about wind farm

First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond says Donald Trump knew about a potential wind farm when he agreed to build a golf course in Scotland.

Speaking at a parliamentary meeting on renewable energy sources Wednesday, Trump spoke out in opposition to the wind farm, saying he was "lured to the country" and led to believe there would be "absolutely no wind farm," The (Glasgow) Herald reported.

Trump is opposed to the wind farm, saying it would ruin tourism.

Salmond, who met with Trump during the development of the golf course, denied he had failed to tell the real estate mogul about a possible wind farm.

"Absolutely no assurances have been given at any time by the first minister or anyone in this administration to Mr. Trump or his organization, and any claims to the contrary are wrong," a spokesman for Salmond said.

GG.
Jupiter
I think when alls said and done we should applaud Donald Trump and his Organisation for putting their faith and finance into Scotland.This venture is long term and will be providing jobs,opportunity and wealth for a good number of people in the north east and will also be pumping money into the local economy.
Is that not what the country need at the moment?
rolleyes.gif Arise Sir Donald..?
Jim D
QUOTE (Melody @ 26th Apr 2012, 06:02pm) *
He seems to be a total stranger to the hairdressers. huh.gif

On the contrary, I think he spend a great deal of money employing a hairdresser to sort that hair every couple of hours. clown.gif
Melody
laugh.gif I think it's the wind that causes it. Boris has the same problem. laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 27th Apr 2012, 12:03pm) *
I think when alls said and done we should applaud Donald Trump and his Organisation for putting their faith and finance into Scotland.This venture is long term and will be providing jobs,opportunity and wealth for a good number of people in the north east and will also be pumping money into the local economy.
Is that not what the country need at the moment?
rolleyes.gif Arise Sir Donald..?

I would be interested to know what financial benefits you think his golf course will bring the people living around the area, assumng you base this on something more than pure guess work.

As for crowning him, I would happily assume that task although I think someone has beaten me to that with a hedgehog ohmy.gif
Jupiter
Ashfield by coincidence I was at Gleneagles last Saturday.Not exactly the same as Trumps new development but if you use it as a comparison you will see hotel staff,gardeners,greenkeepers,caddies,maintenence electricians,plumbers etc all contributing to make the place tick over.In addition there is the myriad of suppliers who keep the place going in food drink and all the ancillery services that are required.
One of the staff at the golf equipment room told me that the majority of staff came from the immediate area making it one of the biggest employers.
I think the Trump development will be similar.Jobs for locals=created wealth being ploughed into the economy.Hardly guesswork..simple economics,Ashfield.
ashfield
Ok ok, don't shout, I only asked tongue.gif

I see what you're saying but I don't think there is any comparison, folk will go to the Gleneagles Hotel without ever having an interest in golf. Of course (sorry) there will be new employment but I doubt the long term enrichment of the area, what I don't doubt is the short term enrichment of Donald Trump. He is not doing this as a favour to Scotland, he is not doing it because of his alleged Scottish ancestry, he is doing it for number one. He remains, in my view, a chanty wrassler, a rich one, but nevertheless a chanty wrassler.
Jupiter
Ashfield I never raise my voice.I was merely trying to draw a comparison.Of course Trump isnt doing this for no return,he isnt running a charity.He sees a business opportunity and is taking the risk.I would put money on this being a first class development and a success.He is obviously got his eye on big money North Sea oil/gas workers and the big tournaments.Aye he`s a chanty wrassler all right.
Doug1
I would agree that the Trump development will probably bring more money into the area and that can only be a good thing not only for Aberdeen but Scotland as a whole but i wonder if he would still have continued if had had only been allowed to build the golf course without all the housing and hotel developments. I might be wrong but i believe it was the "other" developments that caused much of the controversy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-nort...etland-22540249

Lord Sugar has become my new hero yes.gif (starts about a minute in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57z0wn3H4LQ
Dylan
Donald Trump seems to think he had a deal with Alec Salmond , which they shook hands on..

Who do you believe ?.

Trump or Salmond. ?

I go with Trump !!

His project would give the area a much needed cash injection and give employment to a lot of unemployed people.

I think that at sometime in the Future the Windmills will be found to be white elephants.

However why could they not be implemented a few miles round the coast. It's a big coastline.

Out of sight out of mind ?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th May 2013, 02:34pm) *
Donald Trump seems to think he had a deal with Alec Salmond , which they shook hands on..

Who do you believe ?.

Trump or Salmond. ?

I go with Trump !!

I think that at sometime in the Future the Windmills will be found to be white elephants.

However why could they not be implemented a few miles round the coast. It's a big coastline.

I go with Salmond.

I don't think major companies would be pumping £millions into a white elephant.

I would also like to know why they couldn't be positioned further along the coast, but from what i've read they will be barely visible from his golf course, unlike the numerous super oil tankers that lie in anchor waiting to enter Aberdeen harbour.

Funny how he doesn't have a problem with them.
Lobbeydosser
"What doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own hair."
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Lobbeydosser @ 22nd May 2013, 03:32am) *
"What doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own hair."

Maybe he walked too close to a wind farm and it blew his hair over to the one side laugh.gif
ashfield
Well, the balloon with the weetabix haircut lost his legal challenge to the Scottish governments proposal to support a windfarm in the sea off the coast near his golf course. He reacted with his usual "dignity" by saying he would not go ahead with a proposed new course in the area, threatening to appeal the decision and saying that the world was laughing at Scotland because of it's perusal of green energy policies, before leaving in a huff.

This week he has returned and bought Turnberry golf course. Now, I really believe the world may well be laughing at us huh.gif

Will we never be shot of this clown.
wellfield
QUOTE (ashfield @ 15th May 2014, 10:22am) *
Well, the balloon with the weetabix haircut lost his legal challenge to the Scottish governments proposal to support a windfarm in the sea off the coast near his golf course. He reacted with his usual "dignity" by saying he would not go ahead with a proposed new course in the area, threatening to appeal the decision and saying that the world was laughing at Scotland because of it's perusal of green energy policies, before leaving in a huff.

This week he has returned and bought Turnberry golf course. Now, I really believe the world may well be laughing at us huh.gif

Will we never be shot of this clown.

Does it really matter,after all he bought it from the Arabs....who I think bought it from the Japanese.....he said he won't change it...just tweak it!....lol
Jupiter
Once again I applaud Trump for his decision to take over Turnberry.There will be changes no doubt but as someone with a global hospitality business he knows when he is on a winner.
carmella
Turnberry is my favourite place to go, and I go there frequently, as it is right on my doorstep. The Victorians knew how to build Railway Stations with Hotels, as did the Edwardians, and this one is without doubt, one of the most beautiful and graceful in Scoitland.

I have no qualms whatsoever with Donald Trump owning it. It was always beautiful, and so it was when the Japanese owned it. In the past 2 years it has undergone some beautiful renovation.

It has an ambiance all of its own, and I thank goodness that those who can best afford to own and run it, are going to be in charge. It employs a lot of local people, as it has always done.

A great treat, is dining there, but also a visit to The Grand Tea Lounge, where at a price, you can enjoy a bonnie wee afternoon tea - as it used to be served in Victorian times, where you can have little dainty sandwiches, cake and pastries, we don't get in many places these days. Or a wee sip at the Ailsa Bar, which serves excellent food, and perhaps (like me) a wee glass of Champagne - oh aye, I could do that right now if I didn't have the builders in.

"Where could they find such a glorious combination of picturesque grandeur by land and sea? Every mile, there was some hallowed spot, immortalised by the heroism of Bruce or the genius of Burns." - Station Hotel dedication speech, Turnberry, 17 May 1906.

I often think of Trump as brash and OTT with his own buildings, but I do not think he will spoil Turnberry. There would be a public outcry locally if he did.
bilbo.s
Carmella,

As a former employee (1962-74) of British Transport Hotels, I worked at 13 hotels in the group, including Turnberry on 2 short postings. Your reference to railway station hotels seemed to jar a tad, as Maybole and Girvan were the closest stations. On investigation, however, I turned up this information, of which I was completely ignorant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnberry_railway_station
wellfield
Ah'.....an enlightening post!.....I could just picture myself sitting there.....though it would be a Scottish beer for me Carmella.
bilbo.s
I had a few beers there, Wellfield - but in the staff bar ! A puckle o' drams as weel, in the staff quarters.
Dylan
We had a " Static Caravan " at Redgates , Maidens, in the 70's.

For a fee, cannot remember how much, we took Temp. Membership of their Leisure Club, which gave us use of Pool

, Sauna, Steam room and Gym.

We shared the facilities with the Scottish World Cup Team , 1978. My son, age 7 did not have a clue who they were.

Wonderful place and we enjoyed many Cream Teas and cold beers and happy memories.

Also mingled with many Golfers at the open.!

Sad thing, we witnessed Douglas Bader die on the Golf Course. It was terrible. At first we just thought he had fallen over.

I hope Trump retains the ethos and character.

Makes me want to have a visit again !
bilbo.s
Dylan,

Loath though I am to correct you , lest I be accused of abuse, I fear your account of the death of Douglas Bader is at odds with the records. Perhaps you are thinking of some other notable person who met his end at Turnberry golf course, or is it possible that Bader had indeed just fallen over?
Jupiter
Very interesting post Carmella.I think it is fair to say that Donald Trump is savvy enough to realise that Turnberry as it is is what made it and what clients want.He is a golfer,probably a traditionalist so I dont think anyone would need worry about the hotel in his ownership.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.