Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donald Trump
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
carmella
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 16th May 2014, 02:32pm) *
Carmella,

As a former employee (1962-74) of British Transport Hotels, I worked at 13 hotels in the group, including Turnberry on 2 short postings. Your reference to railway station hotels seemed to jar a tad, as Maybole and Girvan were the closest stations. On investigation, however, I turned up this information, of which I was completely ignorant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnberry_railway_station

I looked at the link - isn't that interesting. You know the Glasgow Central Hotel was the place to go in its time also.

I also love Gleneagles, although I am not mad keen on their new part which was built roughly from memory around 6 years ago. But I love the hotel, and as famous as it is, and as good as the food is, I still prefer Turnberry.

Dylan all of that is still there, but greatly upgraded and I thought there was nothing wrong with it before - spas are my thing, I absolutely love them, and when my house is finished, I'm going to take myself off for a Spa weekend (unless I get a better offer meantime

I need a wee bit of R and R.

Campbell if you and that wee lady who makes the lovely desserts ever come to South Ayrshire, I'll treat you to a wee dram at the Ailsa Bar, after we have our High Tea in the Grand Tea Lounge - which overlooks the helipad, and Ailsa Craig. Of course, this doesn't apply if I get a better offer before you get here
bilbo.s
QUOTE (carmella @ 16th May 2014, 04:37pm) *
I looked at the link - isn't that interesting. You know the Glasgow Central Hotel was the place to go in its time also.

I also love Gleneagles, although I am not mad keen on their new part which was built roughly from memory around 6 years ago. But I love the hotel, and as famous as it is, and as good as the food is, I still prefer Turnberry.

Carmella I worked at the Central in its heyday for 5 years, also at the "Glen" for 3 seasons. I liked the Glen better as Turnberry was so isolated. Different point of view working there and being a guest. Incidentally, the staff food at Gleneagles was the worst I have ever eaten.
Dylan
It is not my intention to mislead anyone.

I must have seen Douglas Bader fall over and the Ambulance come on to the green.

On learning of his later death I have confused both incidents as being related.

My apologies to Members.

carmella
Oh jings, imagine the staff food being awful. But, in a way I'm not surprised because all of these hotels earned their reputation on their standards and quality of service, so the paying public wouldn't see half of what it was like behind the door, or staff facilities etc.

carmella
QUOTE (Dylan @ 16th May 2014, 03:47pm) *
It is not my intention to mislead anyone.

I must have seen Douglas Bader fall over and the Ambulance come on to the green.

On learning of his later death I have confused both incidents as being related.

My apologies to Members.

I don't know what age you are Dylan, but if you're anywhere near my age, you forget things, and get confused about circumstances - so dinny fash yurself laddie, we all make mistakes (except me of course)
bilbo.s
QUOTE (carmella @ 16th May 2014, 04:50pm) *
I don't know what age you are Dylan, but if you're anywhere near my age, you forget things, and get confused about circumstances - so dinny fash yurself laddie, we all make mistakes (except me of course)

Perfectly understandable. He is even older than I , after all ! rolleyes.gif
Dylan
QUOTE (carmella @ 16th May 2014, 03:50pm) *

Thank you Carmella.

You have made an old man very happy. biggrin.gif
bilbo.s

QUOTE (carmella @ 16th May 2014, 04:47pm) *
Oh jings, imagine the staff food being awful. But, in a way I'm not surprised because all of these hotels earned their reputation on their standards and quality of service, so the paying public wouldn't see half of what it was like behind the door, or staff facilities etc.

The thing was, that in a big hotel like Gleneagles( 300+ staff) or the Central ( 500+ staff), there were dedicated ( ?) staff cooks and cheap rubbish was used, whereas in smaller hotels like Dumfries( 28 staff) this was not economical and we enjoyed similar (almost) fare to the guests.
ashfield
See the effect this man Trump has, Dylan has become confused, Carmella is already dreaming of better days and everybody is talking about hotels tongue.gif

As for Jupiter, have you recognised a kindred spirit rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 16th May 2014, 06:38am) *
I had a few beers there, Wellfield - but in the staff bar ! A puckle o' drams as weel, in the staff quarters.
Ya' lucky bugger ye'
wellfield
Saw your earlier post Carmella.....through the years I've been back to Scotland dozens of times...moreso your area!.....too bad ah' didnie' ken ye' then hen!.....but what a lovely invite!!
Dylan
There is a disused Airfield at Turnberry.

I understand it was owned by the MOD and used in WW2.?

I seen it used for Helicopters and light Aircraft during The Open.

I wonder if it is now owned by the Hotel/Golf Club and if Trump will develop it . ?
Jupiter
Ashfield, I always speculate to accumulate.Doesnt always work especially at Ayr and Hamilton race courses but seriously beneath the bluster and hair Trump is a major player making a mega investment and in so doing is spreading the jam around the local economy.What is there to not like about that?
ashfield
Jupiter, I get that, the money thing that is. Along the line he has insulted Scotland and run rough shod over the community around his golf development. He has no taste and has a track record of knocking down beautiful old buildings in America and replacing them with horrible monstrosities. Do I trust him, do I believe him, do I like him..........naw.

I will be happy to be proved wrong but I think the folk who live or work around Turnberry should be worried.
Daft Jimmy
Is that yon bloke that hus a died cat oan his heid????
wellfield
I remember the 'Yanks' stationed at Prestwick......They spent tons of money in the town of Ayr and local area's.....Let 'Trump' spend his money!
carmella
QUOTE (wellfield @ 17th May 2014, 04:36am) *
Saw your earlier post Carmella.....through the years I've been back to Scotland dozens of times...moreso your area!.....too bad ah' didnie' ken ye' then hen!.....but what a lovely invite!!

But as long as I'm aboot Campbell, the offer still stands, whether it's a beer or a wee hauf - it's yours.

carmella
The Helipad is on the green right in front of the Grand Tea Lounge. It takes various celebrities only a few minutes to get from the Open wherever it is in Scotland, or Celebrities who are either staying at Turnberry or just want to drop in for a little while for whatever reason.

I've been in the hotel, either in the Grand Tea Lounge or bar or restaurant, and have on several occasions sever some famous people get out of the helicopter.

I remember one time specifically in fairly recent years, being there with my cousin, and watching a helicopter coming in to land, and of course, one always wonders who is on it - might be no-one we know, or might be a celeb. Oh my goodness, I nearly choked on my dainty wee sandwich - none other than that heartthrob, my very own favourite George Clooney got out, after he entered the hotel, don't know where he went, but I never saw him again, if only (I thought) he knew what he was missing!!

I could do a few name drops, but I only saw them leaving the helicopter. You just never know who you might see.

But that George, now he should have been looking for me. Too late now George you've missed your chance and gone and got engaged to that other lady who's nearly as gorgeous as me. laugh.gif

wellfield
Christ' Carmella!...ah' telt' him where ye' lived!!....that bugger!!
carmella
Campbell, he never listens. And, to make matters worse he was in Troon last year, did he give me a call - naw!

Mibeas I'll look elsewhere tongue.gif
DavidT
Click to view attachment
Heir to the Trump empire tongue.gif
ashfield
I was surprised that Scotland didn't vote for independence, I was disappointed that the UK voted to leave the EU, I'm really worried that man will become President of the USA. I guess those guys predicting the end of the world is nigh', should get their sandwich boards out.

Anyone know where I can buy a nuclear bomb shelter around here unsure.gif
bilbo.s
http://newsthump.com/2016/09/27/global-stu...upidest-nation/

I would hate to be a satirist these days. Some things are just beyond satire.
carmella
I'm saddened by the news that this man Trump and his huge ego will become the next US President.

I have a friend in Connecticut who reminded me last week that the majority of his supporters were non college educated blue collar workers, who see him as their Saviour.

Apparently the vote was carried by about 67% of the blue collar non college educated voters, the media coverage informed us last night.

I listened this morning to some of the interviews with his supporters, and I thought poor souls, he's really taken them in.

Perhaps I shall be proved wrong; perhaps he will turn out to be the greatest US President we have ever seen.
bilbo.s
Parallels with the electorate in UK!
ashfield
Ok, if nobody knows of a nuclear bunker for sale I'll try moving to Turnberry. Surely he wouldn't bomb his own golf course............would he wacko.gif
Dykejumper
Mr Trump used to be an honorary Scottish Ambassador until he was stripped of it, being US President elect will perhaps be some consolation.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 9th Nov 2016, 03:27pm) *
Mr Trump used to be an honorary Scottish Ambassador until he was stripped of it

You can thank your hero Jack McConnell for bestowing Trump with that title and the rest of us will thank the SNP government for stripping him of it. yes.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th Nov 2016, 02:58pm) *
Ok, if nobody knows of a nuclear bunker for sale I'll try moving to Turnberry. Surely he wouldn't bomb his own golf course............would he wacko.gif

No, but the Russians or Chinese (or anyone else he rattles his sword at) would as it is within the fallout area of Faslane. angry.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 9th Nov 2016, 02:45pm) *
Parallels with the electorate in UK!

You mean Dumb and Dumber 2? unsure.gif
wombat
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
The only comment I would make is to express my amazement that someone who has absolutely no experience in politics can become the USA President.

Donald Trump has a lot to learn.

God help the USA and the rest of the world too.

Dykejumper
SKL every school kid in the US is told they can become President.It will of course be a tad easier if
they are a multi millionaire first.

I liked this

http://www.buchanobserver.co.uk/
Scots Kiwi Lass
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 9th Nov 2016, 11:14pm) *
SKL every school kid in the US is told they can become President.It will of course be a tad easier if
they are a multi millionaire first.

I liked this

http://www.buchanobserver.co.uk/

This is absolutely true in New Zealand too - anyone can become Prime Minister but that's where the similarity ends.

While we all tend to groan about the incumbent government, the many political parties elect their leader, usually someone who has the necessary skills, attitude and experience for the job.

Interesting times ahead in America!
ashfield
Yes, all the children in UK schools are told they can become Prime Minister. Oh wait, that's only the ones who go to Eton rolleyes.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ashfield @ 10th Nov 2016, 09:06am) *
Yes, all the children in UK schools are told they can become Prime Minister.

They might have to add on "unless they represent a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish constituency".
john.mcn
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Nov 2016, 07:41pm) *
You can thank your hero Jack McConnell for bestowing Trump with that title and the rest of us will thank the SNP government for stripping him of it. yes.gif

Stripping of it is one thing but it went further here, there was calls to have him banned and our parliamentarians lined up to criticize, ridicule him and openly support his rival. This person company employs more people in Scotland than all of them and is now going to become the most powerful individual person on the planet.
If certain politicians cant hold their tongue when it comes to foreign poltician/regimes then maybe instead of bleating about lost deals MoU they should criticize the undemocratic and authoritarian countries they do business with.

BTW i think the guy is a blubbering fool and having to choose either Clinton or him is a choice i wouldn't like to make, but i'm not a politician who is supposed to act diplomatically

I hope that Trump does not hold grudges and that trade between our two countries is not harmed because our politicians cant shut their damn gub.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 10th Nov 2016, 09:26pm) *
Stripping of it is one thing but it went further here, there was calls to have him banned

maybe instead of bleating about lost deals MoU they should criticize the undemocratic and authoritarian countries they do business with.

I disagreed with calls to have him banned for the reasons you state at the time.

When you say "criticize the authoritarian countries they do business with" you mean like the Tory government do?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/no...y-north-england

Oh wait..... unsure.gif
john.mcn

No Jagz i expect them to be diplomatic but well done for trying to divert. What Scottish politicians, inc our current and previous FM did was to openly criticise a person who was running for President of the US, they did so because they in their misguided view thought he would not win, well he did and you would think our FM would learn her lesson but no i see that she has stated she will continue to open her gob all the while not uttering a peep to those undemocratic countries she's willing to sign deals, memorandums and probably christmas cards as well. She is supposed to be a statesperson but is acting like a spoilt wee wean when she disnae gets whit she wants. Alright for her i suppose her wee pension is guaranteed and no doubt would still get some wages if we kicked her out but the same cant be said of those Scots whose jobs are reliant on Trump or trade with the states.
Dave Grieve
Dont know if this is true, if it is, it is one helluva propecy.

Click to view attachment
ashfield
Great prediction he made, but (more appropriately) so did The Simpsons rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
A classic case in today's Herald with a headline and story that Nicola Sturgeon has " snubbed an olive branch " proffered by Trump. Both the olive branch and the snub only exist in the twisted mind of the author of the piece.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 10th Nov 2016, 10:53pm) *
No Jagz i expect them to be diplomatic but well done for trying to divert.

Alright for her i suppose her wee pension is guaranteed and no doubt would still get some wages if we kicked her out but the same cant be said of those Scots whose jobs are reliant on Trump or trade with the states.

As do i (not for Salmond though, he's not the FM) so no diversion here.

Trumps a businessman, he won't let verbal attacks on himself get in the way of making money.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 10th Nov 2016, 10:26pm) *
Stripping of it is one thing but it went further here, there was calls to have him banned and our parliamentarians lined up to criticize, ridicule him and openly support his rival. This person company employs more people in Scotland than all of them and is now going to become the most powerful individual person on the planet.
If certain politicians cant hold their tongue when it comes to foreign poltician/regimes then maybe instead of bleating about lost deals MoU they should criticize the undemocratic and authoritarian countries they do business with.

BTW i think the guy is a blubbering fool and having to choose either Clinton or him is a choice i wouldn't like to make, but i'm not a politician who is supposed to act diplomatically

I hope that Trump does not hold grudges and that trade between our two countries is not harmed because our politicians cant shut their damn gub.

Maybe time to shut your own gub, methinks. Your mind is so twisted that you are tying yourself in knots.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/there...and-china.24645
angel
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/10/donald-trum...n-election.html

Trump as usual , shooting from the mouth before his brain has loaded !
john.mcn
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Nov 2016, 09:50am) *
As do i (not for Salmond though, he's not the FM) so no diversion here.

Alex Salmond was the FM and is the Foreign affairs spokesman for the SNP, the SNP are the government of Scotland, do the maths.
Trumps a businessman, he won't let verbal attacks on himself get in the way of making money.

Better a friend, than someone who through careful use of words can affect Scottish produce being left sitting on shelves. If certain Scottish politicians want to be taken seriously then it's time they acted like it.
john.mcn
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Nov 2016, 03:14pm) *
Maybe time to shut your own gub, methinks. Your mind is so twisted that you are tying yourself in knots.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/there...and-china.24645

My mind is perfectly fine, yours though, well if i gave a jobby i might be concerned.

It would seem that once again(getting to be a habit) you dont seem to quite grasp what is being discussed, Jagz had already posted the news of a China deal so i dont know what you've brought to the table other than your usual ill thought out crappy views. The issue is that our Scottish politicians, inc current and previous FM lined up to criticise Donald Trump, who apart from being 'half Scottish' also has sufficient holdings in Scotland through his company. He has won the presidential race and will now have quite considerable power, anyone with any ounce of sense would accept the result and move on, not our wee nippy nic, no she has stated she will continue to open her gob towards the west all the while not uttering anything eastwards.
My point that no doubt you will still have missed is that she is willing to keep schtum in order to get deals or memorandum of understanding(depending on the month) with China but feels it her womanly duty to criticise Trump and openly support Clinton.. If she is not going to criticise one then it should be the same for the other, if its fine for Trump and his office then she should do it for the rest. My personal opinion is she should shut it and act diplomatically, if she cant do that then maybe she's the wrong person for the job.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 11th Nov 2016, 05:46pm) *
Alex Salmond was the FM and is the Foreign affairs spokesman for the SNP, the SNP are the government of Scotland, do the maths.

Better a friend, than someone who through careful use of words can affect Scottish produce being left sitting on shelves. If certain Scottish politicians want to be taken seriously then it's time they acted like it.

Well Alex Salmond seems to have done a Boris Johnson and done a u turn on Trump now claiming he (Trump) should be given a chance, but i thought you'd be more concerned with the present Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs previous comments about Trump not being fit for office.

After all, UK affairs are of far more importance. unsure.gif

You worry too much John.
Dykejumper
Smells like !
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 11th Nov 2016, 07:10pm) *
Smells like !

Teen Spirit? cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.