Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whitney Houston Dies
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
GG
One of the greatest female singing acts in recent years, Whitney Houston, has been found dead in the a Beverly Hilton hotel room just hours before she was due to attend a prominent music ceremony. Ms Houston was the cousin singer to Dionne Warwick and goddaughter to Aretha Franklin.

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died in Los Angeles at the age of 48.

Police said she died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where she had been staying as a guest.

Houston was one of the most celebrated female singers of all time, with hits including I Will Always Love You and Saving All My Love For You.

But her later career was overshadowed by substance abuse and her turbulent marriage to singer Bobby Brown.

Ms Houston died on the eve of the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. She had been due to attend a pre-awards party in the Beverly Hilton Hotel organised by her long-time mentor and record industry executive Clive Davis on Saturday evening.

He went ahead with the party, holding a minute's silence and telling the audience he was "personally devastated by the loss of someone who has meant so much to me for so many years". ...

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17001548

GG.
Dylan
A wonderfull talent.

A sad loss.
Gemini
Amen to that Dylan very sad loss
Jupiter
Did she ever come to Glasgow?
Isobel
She has a new movie coming out later this year. It has two new songs .
So sad at such a young age.
GG
Yesterday's Sun has a terrible photo of Whitney Houston in which she looked dazed, angry and sad as she left an LA nightclub. It's sad to see that someone who was obviously in deep emotional distress was still being hounded by the press as she tried to hang on to her disintegrating life.

A really tragic story and a sad loss to the music business.

GG.
GG
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 12th Feb 2012, 04:52pm) *
Did she ever come to Glasgow?

A far as I can see, Whitney's only concert in Glasgow was a disastrous one in 2010, which was part of a fairly dismal UK tour beset with many problems on and off stage.

The best that was written about the Glasgow performance came from the closing paragraph of a Scotland on Sunday review of the SECC concert:

... Eventually, the audience was forced to wrestle back control by taking over vocal duties on The Greatest Love Of All.

In her favour, she seemed to be enjoying herself as she hoofed gamely but laboriously around the stage with her dancers during the upbeat numbers. But even with a ten-minute break – during which her brother Gary minded the shop and her backing singers tore into Queen Of The Night – she still looked and sounded knackered by the time she was gasping through her closing number called (oh, the irony!) I Didn't Know My Own Strength.

GG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.