Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 60th Jubilee
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
wee davy
I've started this thread for everyone to enjoy posting their observations/musings of the proceedings, throughout the year.
(Not specifically for royal 'bashing' note, for the more naughtier amongst you!)

This picture made me immediately think 'is there NOTHING people will not stoop to, in order to get that Knighthood (THEE?)'

Click to view attachment

Cute, all the same.

Please show respect when posting, for, lets face it, a pretty amazing eighty one year young lady, who, despite some very 'dodgy' ancestors - has for the most part, done a lot to 'clean up' image when it comes to Monarchy.

Some of you may have memories you wish to post, regarding the past 60 years of her reign - or specific memories of 1952 - when she (HRH) became our Queen

Show the girl a bit of love - I think she deserves it wub.gif
wee davy

Click to view attachment

Jupiter
That wee boy will go far.These things get noticed in certain quarters.
rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
I hope he has better luck with his knighthood aspirations than I have. rolleyes.gif
Even being a facebook friend of HM doesn't help much, Davy. I tried. laugh.gif
wombat
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 7th Feb 2012, 06:33pm) *
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif a performance definately worth a packet of smarties rolleyes.gif
angel

Wombat
a performance definately worth a packet of smarties ,

Angel

Yes Wombat , a performance seen in many so called classes ,
Even on these boards . !
Heather
That wee lad is really cute. laugh.gif
GG
Palace reveals 5-day Scotland leg itinerary of Jubilee tour

The Queen will spend five days visiting parts of Scotland during her Diamond Jubilee tour of the UK, Buckingham Palace have announced.

The monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh will travel to every region of the country as they celebrate the historic milestone.

During Holyrood week, from 2-6 July, the royal couple will visit Edinburgh, Glasgow Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire and Perth.

The dates were published as part of the itinerary for the tour, which will see the royal couple travel around the whole of the UK, from March to July, by a variety of means – car, royal train, aircraft and the ship Leander.

GG.
ashfield
Drat, I think I'm busy on those dates.................if I can't get something booked up rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
wee davy
ash - she's no coming tae see YOU lol
their jist making sure yer able tae hiv the best china oot.
(mibbe hiv some pineapple cakes in - or a victoria sponge, jist in case!)

(don't think she'll be coming to see you either,THEE - but you'll hive party tickets no doubt - being her facebook friend, and all!)
TeeHeeHee
Her Madge and I have made a private arrangement Mr Davy. tongue.gif
wee davy
laugh.gif wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
Her other son, Airmiles Andy, has offered me a bunch of tickets which he swears fell off the back of a lorry bringin' them from the printers. cool.gif
wee davy
Make sure you get up early for your copies of the Daily Mail, to get your FREE coupons for a commemorative tree planted in 'Jubilee Wood' (somewhere in England).

(Me and THEE are getting a whole COPSE between us - though he doesn't know it yet laugh.gif )
TeeHeeHee
A'm twiggin' on tae you M8. Glad you're no' branchin' oot oan yer ain. biggrin.gif
... and don't say, "Wood eye?" tongue.gif
Isobel
60 year's quite something ,don't you think? and we moan about not being able to retire at 60.I don't have much time for the royal family.However I have to be honest here she has worked all her life and done a pretty good job. I think there should be some rule that when they reach a certain age they should retire. How great would it be if she could live long enough to see her son being crowned.
Rab-oldname
Click to view attachment
TeeHeeHee
tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Jupiter
Great to see Her Majesty today in York handing out Maundy Money greeted by thousands of wellwishers.
Weel done Ma`am.
rolleyes.gif
Alex Saville
Roll on the Republic of Scotland!
Dylan
QUOTE (Isobel @ 11th Feb 2012, 03:20pm) *
60 year's quite something ,don't you think? and we moan about not being able to retire at 60.I don't have much time for the royal family.However I have to be honest here she has worked all her life and done a pretty good job. I think there should be some rule that when they reach a certain age they should retire. How great would it be if she could live long enough to see her son being crowned.

I agree with you isobel, she has done a marvelous job.

However she can abdicate in favour of her Son at any time.

Her choice.!
wee davy
Might well be in 'favour' of Charles - but would it really be in favour of her maj's subjects??
beth
Maybe that is why she has not abdicated. Seems from a distance that in general,folk would prefer William
Jupiter
Unless Charles dies before the Queen then he will, in my opinion be King despite the fact that he is getting on a bit.One factor which I think is important is the longevity of members of the Royal Family.
Irrespective of who it is Ill be out with my flag.
Heather
I remember a few years ago reading that one of those people who think they can forecast the future said Harry would one day be King after Charles.

No mention was made of what would happen to William that he would not be King. rolleyes.gif

Jupiter
What an incredible sight watching the Royal opening of Parliament.The Queen and the Duke looking resplendant and all the pomp and ceremony.
Makes you proud to be British and Im sure Tommy Kennedy would just have loved the whole spectacle.
rolleyes.gif
wee davy
smile.gif
taurus
Nice work if you can get it,it`s hardly back breaking stuff being royal is it?
GG
You can celebrate the Queen's Jubilee in style:
Queens Jubilee Celebrations - 5th June

By Royal appointment.. join us to celebrate this momentous occasion at One Ten Bar and Grill, Marks Hotel in Glasgow.

Enjoy..coverage of the jubilee in our bar area and traditional ‘High Tea’ of fish and chips with a pot of tea for only 8.50 per person.
Royal cocktails also available.

To book call 0141 354 7705.

GG.
mlconnelly
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought high tea was wee posh sandwiches (crusts cut off), cakes and a pot of tea not fish anad chips. Did I miss something? When did it change? Mary unsure.gif
wee davy
Your quite right Mary - however I seem to recall fairy cakes on a stand as well.
We obviously didnae go tae the SUPER High Teas lol wink.gif

As a child, it made absolutely NO difference tae me - awe a wanted wiz the cake wie the biggest dod ai icing sugar oan it laugh.gif
GG
Prince Charles broadcast the weather from Glasgow today:

Made news as far away as New Zealand:
http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8465695/pr...an-shines-on-tv

GG.
Jupiter
For the info of our posters I thought Id let you know our favourite German supermarket Lidl is having it Jubilee event this Thursday when you will be able to buy everything for your Jubilee celebrations,tea towels,mugs,coasters et al.Its certainly shaping up well.
rolleyes.gif
wee davy
The first Lidl store opened here in 1994 - what jubilee are they celebrating?

Ach,... get me a towel then - coz am a bit of a mug lol wink.gif

petit davie
Jupiter
Re the Jubilee I think there is a general apathy surrounding the forthcoming event and the only interest I see is on the TV and newspapers.I must be missing something. rolleyes.gif
Jim D
Lets face it, it's not as popular here just now as it is in England, as she is touring England. Once she appears in Scotland in July it will probably take off. I know she is visiting Glasgow, Dumbarton and Greenock on 4th July, 2012
wee davy
Forecast for Sunday (Pageant on The Thames day 1.30pm dont miss it!) is rain, rain, ... and more rain! (Check the title of this thread).

I would like to make it clear, I am NOT doing tea leaf, hand, or any other such readings. phsycic mumbo jumboing i will leave up to the pros lol laugh.gif
Doug1
QUOTE (wee davy @ 10th May 2012, 02:43pm) *
Your quite right Mary - however I seem to recall fairy cakes on a stand as well.
We obviously didnae go tae the SUPER High Teas lol wink.gif

As a child, it made absolutely NO difference tae me - awe a wanted wiz the cake wie the biggest dod ai icing sugar oan it laugh.gif

Aye and dinnae forget the.......... empire biscuits!!
Doug1
QUOTE (Jim D @ 22nd May 2012, 03:59pm) *
Lets face it, it's not as popular here just now as it is in England, as she is touring England. Once she appears in Scotland in July it will probably take off. I know she is visiting Glasgow, Dumbarton and Greenock on 4th July, 2012

Its nice to see your an optimist jim shock3.gif
tamhickey
I am a republican and therefore anti monarchy. Hundreds of millions of pounds are being spent on this charade as the most disadvantaged in society are forced to struggle. I really don't think it's appropriate for the Queen to enjoy all this largesse at our expense when the economy is knackered, millions unemployed, the poor getting poorer etc. To me, it's a travesty that so much goes to inflate an old lady's ego when we have many elderly ladies struggling to get by on their meagre pensions.
I also find it distasteful in the extreme that no voices of dissent have been shown on television. It's like Pravda in 70's Russia, only here we have EVERY newspaper, magazine, tv station telling us how wonderful old Betty is for having survived so long. They've got short memories, I remember the Queen being shown as a heartless sod after Diana's death by the same people.
As to working for sixty years, wouldn't we all love a job where you do nothing and all the arrangements are laid on for you? That's not a job, it's a lifetimes holiday
I do think it's important to share another viewpoint and hope that people respect my opinions just as equally as they respect others.
Jupiter
Tam Just as well for you the seditious libel laws were repealed but you are still free to wash out your mouth with soap then stand in the corner.
rolleyes.gif
Joop.
Happy and Glorious!
Alex Saville
Tam!

Very well said!
I agree with every word you say.
Roll on the Republic!!

Alex
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 3rd Jun 2012, 03:17am) *
I am a republican and therefore anti monarchy. Hundreds of millions of pounds are being spent on this charade as the most disadvantaged in society are forced to struggle.

Noble sentiment, Tam, but would any of that money go to those most disadvantaged if the Queen's wee do was cancelled in the name of good taste?
wee davy
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 3rd Jun 2012, 07:25am) *
Tam Just as well for you the seditious libel laws were repealed but you are still free to wash out your mouth with soap then stand in the corner.
rolleyes.gif
Joop.
Happy and Glorious!

Don't worry Joop - I think it unlikely Tom's head will finish up on a spike,... but nonetheless they DID dig up auld Cromwell, and behead him, unceremoniously - thereafter leaving his cranium on said spike for another 3/4 years!

Ahhh what price, progress lol

Good luck to you, and bucketfuls of respect, all you Roundheads but somehow I do not think you will EVER win the day. The truth is, 'we' (the majority) like our Queen - despite her imperfections.

I suspect a helluva lot of others do, around the world.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wee davy @ 3rd Jun 2012, 01:35pm) *
I suspect a helluva lot of others do, around the world.

Let them pay for her and her brood.
wee davy
May Traitors Gate, await, JAGZY lol
Jupiter
Wonderful images of the Queen and the Royal family on the Thames and what a turnout of hundreds of thousands loyal subjects.Magnifique!
Dimairt
Despite the official line - where "everyone, everywhere" is celebrating, there is an obvious lack of interest in this tosh in Glasgow. Locally, there is only one pub, the aptly named Royalty Bar, with any bunting on display. There's nothing in any other pubs, the schools, churches, community centres, no shop displays. It's much the same in Partick, though I did find this in a shop in Byres Rd.
My daughter has just called from London to say that the streets are packed and almost everyone is wearing some red,white and blue symbol. It's clear that the further away from London, the less interest there is.

Durachdan,

Eddy
Jupiter
I was in Partick myself and noticed the Rosevale and the pub next door were well buntinged up and getting into the spirit of this magnificent achievement.As John Barrowman has just said,makes you proud to be British.Aye!
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 3rd Jun 2012, 02:24pm) *
I was in Partick myself and noticed the Rosevale and the pub next door were well buntinged up and getting into the spirit of this magnificent achievement.As John Barrowman has just said,makes you proud to be British.Aye!

I wouldn't read too much into that Joops, it's only because they didn't get a chance to put the bunting out to celebrate Rangers winning a trophy this season, seemed a shame to let it go to waste tongue.gif

As for the quote from Mr Barrowman, did he say it in his native Glaswegian accent or his ridiculous American accent?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.