Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twittering (and Facebook)
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
wee davy
Apparently people who tweet on twitter think two thirds of tweets are a load of twaddle.

Does this make someone who tweets a tw*t? (substitute whichever letter you feel is most appropriate)???

What a funny old world we live in, right enough.
TeeHeeHee
Have a T, Davy and stop witterin'. laugh.gif
ashfield
Does anybody remember when we used to just talk to each other rolleyes.gif
wee davy
Don't speak in tongues, ash! laugh.gif

That is jist whit am gonnae dae, THEE - a cuppa wi a choccie biccie - might even treat masel tae an apple efter that, fer lunch ohmy.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (ashfield @ 3rd Feb 2012, 12:15pm) *
Does anybody remember when we used to just talk to each other rolleyes.gif

Naw. laugh.gif

Twatter is just shorthand method of delivering inane drivel that is of total inconsequence to anyone other than the corresponding drivelers.
wee davy
Ahhh,... THIS is why the great Auntie BEEB seems to reference it so much on their topical programmes these days!
Their researchers obviously cannot cope with anything more in depth. I've noticed a very definite dumbing down, on Question Time, ... whilst at the same time, the quality of the guests leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone else noted how the 'big boys' (other than Mr Salmond) always give it a wide berth?
Rabbie
Aye the quality of the guests really has gone doon on QT, I got an invite but due to a previous drinking engagement and darts match, had to turn it doon.

wee davy
Ah wunner if there are any 'twatterers' oan here?
bilbo.s
Quite a few but I won´t name names. cool.gif
wee davy
(wee davy takes one step backwards - has been in enough trub lately lol)
mellow.gif
Elma
I am on facebook but I have never 'tweeted' or even played games on my cell phone. For one thing I'd rather talk to someone and more important my thumbs don't work quickly enough laugh.gif
Tricia281
QUOTE (Elma @ 3rd Feb 2012, 10:52am) *
I am on facebook but I have never 'tweeted' or even played games on my cell phone. For one thing I'd rather talk to someone and more important my thumbs don't work quickly enough laugh.gif

'Ditto' for me Elma! Hate those wee buttons on the phone!
Tricia
tombro
I've joined Facebook and I'm now looking for an instruction book on how it works ! It's a wugger being in your sixties !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
angel
No Tombro , It isnt a wugger being in your sixties . the problem is face book , I've tried , and I don't feel comfotable with it , however other's do , so , asi es la vida ! .
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (tombro @ 4th Feb 2012, 08:37am) *
I've joined Facebook and I'm now looking for an instruction book on how it works ! It's a wugger being in your sixties !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

It's eezy-peezy, Tombro. You collect a thousand facebook friends then insult, libel and cajole all but the first three ... then start all over again. tongue.gif laugh.gif
GG
Glasgow Guide has its very own Twitter page where the headlines and links of the latest Glasgow news stories appear automatically:

http://twitter.com/glasgowguide

That said, I don't use it for any other purpose, and have no interest in following anyone to read – as THH writes – mundane drivel that spans no more than a sentence. I think Twitter is massively over-hyped because it is new and it allows people to be lazy when expressing their opinions.

Another over-hyped tool, IMHO, is Facebook. GG doesn't have a FB page!

I'm always amazed at how people refer to Facebook as a social network, when in reality it is just a gathering place for people who prefer not to be social. As far as I can see, people on FB spend most of their time talking about themselves, rather than thinking socially about others.

GG.
GG

GG.
wee davy
Your the man, GG!

Couldn't have put it any better LOL unsure.gif

Mark Zuckerberg would do well to watch this young man - oh,... wait a minute,... didn't he say he's been 'facebook free' for over 5 months? Mark will have to use Anonymous to track him, perhaps!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Feb 2012, 12:12pm) *
...I'm always amazed at how people refer to Facebook as a social network, when in reality it is just a gathering place for people who prefer not to be social ...

GG.

just saw a good example of that this morning. Remember Kim Bishop? (Art and Painting Topic). She posted this picture; a continuation of a current work in progress, for those of us who take an interest in her work ...

Click to view attachment

... then came the abuse. unsure.gif

There are a lot of folk who feel that the use of such tack (in dressage) is a form of cruelty to horses and they fired into Kim for doing a painting of the Photo sent to her by a client to be painted.
If I'd sent her a photo of my mate on duty in Afghanistan would she/we have been pilloried on facebook for supporting the war out there?

I'm away over to add to the Art and Paintings topic ... in the knowledge that I wont be "Poked" there. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Tricia281
Love the video GG. I will post it on my Facebook! tongue.gif
bilbo.s
THH beat you to it. laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
I'm hopeless at multi-taskin' Bill. rolleyes.gif

(Miss-read your meanin'. Thought you meant You had beat me to it) laugh.gif
ashfield
Great video GG, I don't have a facebook account and never will have. I have heard all the stuff about families keeping in touch but it seems to me that it's just like the newsletter folk stick in their Christmas cards. If people are really important in your life, they deserve more than that rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
I, like countless others, use FB to keep in regular touch with my family - both my immediate family back in Scotland and my many relations all over the globe. If it were not for the internet - FB , Skype and emails, thiat contact would be greatly reduced, amounting to greetings cards and the odd expensive telephone call.

I have also renewed acquaintanceship with long-lost friends from various stages of my life, some from my early childhood, who are now on the other side of the world. This would not have been possible without sites like Facebook and, yes, this site too. These contacts enrich my life and I hope the feeling is mutual. I am at a loss as to what I could do to make those people feel more important , other than packing up here and moving in with them, perhaps on a rotating basis.

Aside from keeping abreast of important events, we naturally indulge in a wee bit of banter and exchange funny and not so funny information, as well as photos, both recent and more nostalgic ones of shared memories. I have constructed my family tree with the invaluable aid of some cousins.

Through these media we have recently visited old friends and relations not seen for years and also newer acquaintances, and we in return have received them as guests.

Certainly there is a load of inane rubbish written on FB- is that not true also of the Glasgow Boards?

The whole spectrum of humanity uses these sites and I am sure that the many GG members on FB must be a bit miffed at some of the comments on here. If you do not like the idea, that is your business, but do not class us, who do, as lazy, mindless idiots.
Alex MacPhee
I've never really got the hang of Twitter, and I never saw enough of a prize to make me want to pay it attention. I have a Facebook account, and I find it useful and engaging ; or rather, I would find it more engaging if the Facebook people would give a break from constant tweaking and changing of the interface. The value of a Facebook account is entirely down to what you make it.

I use it to keep in touch with a widely distributed family and set of friends. It allows me to share photographs with them, small pieces of news, some frivolous, some rather less so, and to keep in touch with what they're doing. I don't 'collect friends' on it ; my list numbers about a hundred or so, and I don't believe anyone with a list numbering 700 (which I've seen) can possibly use Facebook to keep in touch with even half of them in any non-trivial way.

There are some rules I follow in my Facebook activity : I don't use any of the online games or the like, and ignore every invitation to help someone build a sardine farm in Outer Mongolia. Neither do a copy and paste other people's status entries, including those with the irritating pleadings of the type 'most peope won 't care enough to copy this but I think I know the ones that will'.

Within these fairly simple restrictions, I make good use of Facebook, and find it useful. Its privacy policy is labyrinthine, sometimes makes me feel uneasy, and it's the one feature that is likely to cause me to abandon it in favour of an alternative.
bilbo.s
I am in complete agreement, Alex. The "applications " are completely idiotic, although I know some people derive pleasure from them. Mind you, I am not a games person at all.
Melody
I don't have a Facebook account it just doesn't appeal to me at all. My girls use it and they seem to enjoy it and get all their friends news and things on it though.

Somehow I feel that it's a shame that young ones feel the need to keep in touch in this way these days. It just seems to me that they'd be better employed actually living the fun that they find on Facebook. I understand how busy they all are these days and it must be convenient but it's a bit sad somehow.

It's not for me though.
kenb
i dont get this twitter tweets etc i do use fbook to keep in touch with drumchapelonians
but not to tell people i am at the bus stop etc
rolleyes.gif tongue.gif unsure.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (kenb @ 5th Feb 2012, 11:19am) *
i dont get this twitter tweets etc i do use fbook to keep in touch with drumchapelonians
but not to tell people i am at the bus stop etc

Are you at the bus stop then ? unsure.gif
TeeHeeHee
And which bus stop. x

Rabbie
Farcebook has it's positive aspects and is quite functional if one understands how to ignore eegits, filter out the general jibberish and dross application such as the Crapville genre etc.

Remember Farcebook only exists to lure and hook people into parting with real currency in exchange for virtual property, like a strippy green coo for your virtual farmyard. In addition, to generate masses of advertising revenue for the owners. After all, it is a profit making business concern behind all the fluff and eye candy.

Also, this application also databases a wealth of personal information, basically everything that is input.

Shameless employers and surreptitious governmental organisations [councils / polis / you name it] are spending increasing amounts of time trawling Facebook and other online sources, data mining.

Why?

Simple, they engage in this form of surrviellance in the hope that less than surreptitious employees / claimants can be caught with their knickers doon, in a manner of speaking.

As an example, if yer claiming the JSA, Hoosing Benefit, Cooncil Tax and Disabilty Benefits, dinnea go posting piccies of yer 25 000 luxury cruise, golfing and skiing holiday on Farcebook. Oh it happens, blatant eejitery knows of no bounds. biggrin.gif

Twatter is simply glorified IM's, IM's have been around for as long as the internet, it's nothing new. There is bugger awe there to get intae a lather aboot.

Aye, not everyone that uses these apps are utter drongos. However, that is not to say some are not. rolleyes.gif

Bottom line:- Nearly~

These apps are free (at source) to use. However, if you don't like them, have concerns, you know the drill. El rampant digitus!

Also, these and their clones have privacy and security concerns. It is paradoxical in that the more complex these appications become the more weaknesses they present to be exploited.

In conclusion, I would never trust Farcebook or Twatter to be secure with any personal data. The pages ain't even HTTPS protocol.

You don't have to be completely paraniod, just informed and cyber savvy!
GG
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 4th Feb 2012, 06:37pm) *
... The whole spectrum of humanity uses these sites and I am sure that the many GG members on FB must be a bit miffed at some of the comments on here. If you do not like the idea, that is your business, but do not class us, who do, as lazy, mindless idiots.

Hi bilbo,

While I didn't refer anyone as an idiot, I would certainly agree that you have a very valid point regarding my own contribution to this debate. I was taking into consideration only my own experience of how young people use Facebook (and Twitter) in a shallow, egotistical manner – something which I have genuine concerns about – and generalising this to all users. I am sure there are many users, like yourself, who do use FB as a valuable way to keep in touch with people whom otherwise they/you would not be able to.

Regarding this topic, I think also we are conflating two quite different services: Twitter and Facebook. Again, this is a bit of my fault, as I changed wee davy's topic title to include Facebook after some posts referred to it.

GG.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 5th Feb 2012, 10:37pm) *
... I was taking into consideration only my own experience of how young people use Facebook (and Twitter) in a shallow, egotistical manner – something which I have genuine concerns about –
GG.

Can only agree there. I find it deeply concerning. It would seem to be a sort of "Get me into here, I'm a wannabe celebrity" complex. No names, no pack-drill but one of my younger family members has 1,776 friends ... at last count. I just can't get my head round that. Every comment shared is shared with at least 1700 complete strangers IMO. unsure.gif

I changed wee davy's topic title to include Facebook

He'll get his head round that ok. laugh.gif
wee davy
Ah'll admit a wee double take - but then quickly decided it reflected my intention rather well. My frustration with Farcebook has been ever increasing just lately. Although I too have used it, it would NEVER be my primary 'mode of transport', in relation to keeping in touch.
Although we each have our preferences (phone, letter, fax, email, skype, or even FACE TO FACE lol), it (FB) will always come in a pathetic last.

To those who get something from it (FB) - good luck to you.
For those who use it to backbite, slur & slander, bully, and behave like 2yr olds, they will always be beneath my contempt.

Like THEE suggests, you are only (apparently from good sources) able to handle between 120-140 friends from ALL walks of life (at any given time), during that life. So as he says - the rest are just total strangers.
Would you send out your personal details (with live updates) by air mail in the past? I think not.
Would you express your likes/dislikes to all in sundry, for the purpose of DIRECT targetted advertising? (Those ADS you see, do not attract your attention/eyesight by MAGIC!)

Nosebook - though a very clever concept - will fall flat on its face one day - I for one will not shed any tears.

We have more than enough ways to get in contact these days IMO.
Does it encourage you to check up on your neighbour, whom you haven't seen for 5/6 days? Nope
Does it prove your love?

Good luck to young Mark - but I won't be buying any shares.
bilbo.s
Ah, but what would you do without GG to twitter on ? tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Some things you might need to know about Facebook. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dave Grieve
I dont do facebook, takes me all my time to do GG laugh.gif
But on sunday I was listening to a radio programme in which an internet 'expert' predicted that when the banks cotton on to what facebook can offer namely 'individuals personal history' they will join up with facebook and it will be impossible to bank by internet unless you have a facebook presence.

Dont know if his prediction was on the money but I woulden't be surprised.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 6th Feb 2012, 02:56pm) *
it will be impossible to bank by internet unless you have a facebook presence.

Dont know if his prediction was on the money but I woulden't be surprised.

I missed that but it would be interesting to hear his reasoning. I suspect it's going to be one of those predictions that sink without trace. It's not that the logic is wildly out ; after all, it's the same logic behind 'loyalty cards' in shops and supermarkets, and Amazon is extremely good at targetting ads based on your buying and browsing history ; but I'd have thought the banks were more interested in how they could keep my funds in their accounts, than in my 'likes' and 'dislikes' and spending habits.

I removed all my 'favourite films' and 'favourite pastimes' type stuff from my Facebook account. It's not that I have any objection in principle to sponsored ads appearing, but I got fed up finding ads telling me the world was crying out for maths tutors or trying to sell me fencing gear. It seemed more psychologically 'intrusive' than ads for romantic cottage breaks. Just checking this very minute, I see an ad for 'advanced food supplements', so I might have to alter my year of birth too.

I also use Google+, possibly the major competitor to Facebook. It took me a little while to crack that it's not designed as a Facebook clone, but has a different perspective. It's more conversation oriented, and one can include in the 'stream' of conversations those of other topics of interest being discussed by people who aren't 'friends'. My interests include photography, some areas of mathematics, and stuff like genealogy. On G+ I can 'stream' these conversations by interest topic, and pick up some fascinating things with a depth you just don't get on Facebook, which is post- rather than conversation-orientated. Once you crack the essential difference between Facebook and Google+, it may well appear that, as it does to me, Google+ is a better 'social networking' medium.
wee davy
You make a strong case for Goggleplus, might jist hiv a gander. I could do my 'twittering' on there, bilbo - trouble is, theres only so much, one can do in a day LOL
I believe Her Maj has a twitter account.
For those of you who are anti-independence, seems like an appropriate day to become a member - what with it being 60 years since she acceeded
You can 'follow, follow' to your hearts content - but I don't think one is oan it very much! tongue.gif
GG
Here's what not to do on Facebook and Twitter:
Council media chief suspended over Facebook ‘spy account’

A communications manager working for Argyll and Bute council has been suspended following claims that they activated fake social media accounts to monitor opposition groups.

Jo Smith made the admission, which she later denied, at a social media event in Glasgow, claiming that she had set up so called ‘spy accounts’ on both Facebook and Twitter.

Smith’s suspension pends a full investigation into the affair after local MSPs, including Education Secretary Michael Russell, reacted furiously to the news.

In a letter to the council leader Russell wrote: “I cannot remember being as angry. The thought that my constituents have been 'spied on' by a senior member of your staff is truly outrageous. And when I consider the likelihood that I was one of these people, then words almost fail me.”

Smith faces disciplinary action if found guilty. ...

Full story here:
http://thedrum.co.uk/news/2012/02/11/argyl...ook-spy-account

GG.
GG
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 6th Feb 2012, 03:14pm) *
... I removed all my 'favourite films' and 'favourite pastimes' type stuff from my Facebook account. It's not that I have any objection in principle to sponsored ads appearing, but I got fed up finding ads telling me the world was crying out for maths tutors or trying to sell me fencing gear. It seemed more psychologically 'intrusive' than ads for romantic cottage breaks. Just checking this very minute, I see an ad for 'advanced food supplements', so I might have to alter my year of birth too. ...

Alex, can you imagine if a company had been able to monitor your changing preferences and activities over the course of your life? I think this is particularly worrying for young kids, as data mining will allow, say HR departments, to build a character profile of a young job candidate because they have been on Facebook for years using their real name.

Already, there are many stories of job applicants being vetted and rejected because of what they have put on Facebook, and even stories of potential employers demanding usernames and passwords for applicants' social network accounts. I don't think even George Orwell could have imagined this kind of intrusion, especially into the lives of people who have not yet matured and who are probably experimenting with their own personality before it has fully developed. Frightening stuff!

GG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.