Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National Cup Semi-final
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Queenslie1957
Great Advert For Scottish Football and a Local Derby
GG
And, unfortunately, the people who did actually pay their money to support their teams were treated disgracefully by private 'security' guards, while the police looked on. All in the name of the London Olympics!

Furious fans have perfume and make-up confiscated at Hampden

... Supporters heading to the Scottish Communities League Cup semi-final between Ayr United and Kilmarnock were furious at the heavy-handed seizures as the police rehearsed security for this summer’s Olympics.

Laura Black, 26, from Kilmarnock said: “Security took a bottle of perfume from me. It was Chanel Coco Mademoiselle and cost nearly 100.

“Nobody notified us beforehand. There was no warning and nothing on our tickets. This isn’t an airport and we’re not criminals. I always carry perfume in my bag.”

Nicola Lindsey, 26, also of Kilmarnock, said: “A woman behind me asked if she could pick up her perfume after the match but they said no. She was so upset.” ...

Full story here:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...-86908-23725744

GG.
Jupiter
The POLICE are the only organisation with powers to stop and search at designated sporting events so why has this happened and why were the public not made aware prior to the event.
I would like to know who conferred these powers on a "Security"firm.
It would appear that the event being prepared for is a womans football match in August and while I have to problems with that it will not in my view attract a big crowd as it is being held on a Friday afternoon.
I would object strongly to being searched by someone,dressed in a cap and high viz jacket with security written on it.It is an invasion of privacy.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Queenslie1957 @ 29th Jan 2012, 09:53am) *
Great Advert For Scottish Football and a Local Derby

Sadly Scottish football attendances are in free fall, (even the mighty jags) however i think yesterdays attendance was quite good for a mid table SPL side playing the team at the bottom of the first division.

Over the last five years (maybe more) crowds of this size and even lower are the norm for cup semi finals, even for semis involving one half of the old firm, in fact today's tie between Celtic and Falkirk will probably only attract a similar number.

Whether this is only happening in Scotland, i don't know, maybe someone can produce attendance figures for European countries of a similar size, at this stage of their national cup competitions.
GG
The Herald today reported that only 10% of tickets to the Olympic football matches in Glasgow have been sold, whereas all the London-based events are all but sold out. Looks like the Olympics in Glasgow could be a damp squib!

GG.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (GG @ 2nd Feb 2012, 08:17am) *
The Herald today reported that only 10% of tickets to the Olympic football matches in Glasgow have been sold, whereas all the London-based events are all but sold out. Looks like the Olympics in Glasgow could be a damp squib!

GG.

No real surprise there, i think most of the games involve women's matches, most fans i have spoken to have little or no interest for Olympic football.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.