Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Duke
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
Jupiter
Im sure our many posters will join me in wishing the Duke a speedy recovery. rolleyes.gif
Jim D
I hope he recovers well, I not a royalist but I love it when he makes his gaffs. lol He is just like any old pensioner when he does that.
GG
Queen visits Prince Philip in hospital

The Queen has visited the Duke of Edinburgh in hospital in Cambridgeshire, where he has been treated for a blocked coronary artery.

A "minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting" was successfully performed after he was taken to hospital suffering chest pains.

The duke, 90, is in "good spirits" but remains under observation at Papworth Hospital, Buckingham Palace said. ... read more

I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

The Queen, unlike pensioners in Glasgow who have to rely on public transport, will, of course, have no problems with transport to and from their loved one in hospital at this important time of the year.

GG.
Rab-oldname
I must admit that I at last warmed to the Duke in a documentary the other evening, and I laughed out loud when he described the Garter Ceremony as 'lunatic, but it pleases a lot of people' - now thats honesty! He doesn't suffer fools gladly, unlike most of the Royals. His gaffes make him a laughing-stock, but does he care? He was very pleasant to me when I was introduced to him a very long time ago. ( I nearly said, 'when he was introduced to me!' biggrin.gif )
mlconnelly
I think he's a facinating man and wish him a speedy recovery. His gaffes are hilariously legendary and are probably what a lot of other people are thinking but too scared /polite to say. Mary biggrin.gif
Jim D
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 24th Dec 2011, 03:19pm) *
I think he's a facinating man and wish him a speedy recovery. His gaffes are hilariously legendary and are probably what a lot of other people are thinking but too scared /polite to say. Mary biggrin.gif

I agree. He is not part of the politically correct world. Just like many of his age group. I'm sure his gaffs were not meant to offend.

I saw a documentry on him and the work he does in running the Windsor Estate. He came across very well. He is right into conservation aswell as modern methods of managing such a large Estate. He was also very humourous.

Before I am bombarded, I know he does not run it on a day to day basis but he is obviously are of the ongoing work and is heavily involved in the main decisions regarding it's upkeep and improvement.
pumps100
I like do him for his oddball-ness. But I cannot help but wonder just how many 90 year-olds would be getting a stent put in today at the Western Infirmary had the same thing happened to them?

Regards

Ian
glasgow lass
Good point Ian, lets hope so.
TeeHeeHee
I hope the hospital was RAF Hospital Ely in Cambridge.
When I was there in '68 they treated everyone like royalty tongue.gif laugh.gif
glasgow lass
arr yoo on some kind of high tongue.gif laugh.gif
Jim D
It was papworth hospital.

I suspect it was actually pre-arranged, regardless of what the media say. It is one of the few times of the year when all of the royals are together at Sandringham. If it went wrong they would all be at home.

I remember about 2 months ago, he and the queen called off on a visit to Italy. The official reason given was that he had a chest infection or virus.

The fact that he is a very fit 90 year old goes in his favour.
benny
Ah don't wish the man any harm, but if aw oor pensioners received the same level of care, many more of them could live to be healthy 90 year olds. As for one of the poster's remarks on his interest in conservations, it's kinda hard tae swally aboot a man who's slaughtered his fair share of grouse and other assorted wildlife in his time.
Rab-oldname
Benny: There seems to be me to be more 90+ around these days than ever before, for whatever reason. My wife went to a coffeee morning at a block of flats near us for the first time this week and she told me that there were 7, 90+ residents in 20 of the flats! In the Close of 7 bungalows where I live, there are 3 90+ers! Seems Phil the Greek may not be as unusual as you think.
BTW - wildlife conservation cannot be equated with farmed game-shooting.
Heather
I wish him well as I always enjoy his gaffes, it gives us all a laugh.

I agree with Mary as well, he says what a lot of people are thinking

My bro-in-law who is in his 60s sixties, had the same treatment a few weeks ago after a heart scare. He had two stents put in.
Rabbie
Ach nothing wrang wi thet tough auld goat that horse linament, sticky plaster and a cauld shower cannae sort oot.

Worse things happen in this hoose after mah Missus hus "cooked" Xmas denner.

Well I guess I am cooking next years, thets if ah live that long. Anshallah and a bucket of rats...

Gaun yerself yer Grace!
benny
Yes, there's no doubt that more people are living to an advanced age than they did 50 or 100 years ago, Rab. Ma ain auld Da lived till he wis 90 - an that wis withoot any o the luxuries that Phil is accustomed tae. My point was, though, that if everyone received the same level of treatment as Phil, many more ordinary punters would live to an advanced age.

BTW I don't call shooting wee birds that have been raised for that purpose "farmed game shooting". I call it slaughter for pleasure - known to Phil and his ilk as "sport".
Jupiter
Merry X,Benny.
Like you Im not to keen on birds getting shot after I lost a tooth on a lead pellet whilst getting stuck into
a pidgeon but thats just the way they reach the table and I suppose they have a better life than battery chickens.
Im sure medical advancements,but Ive no figures facts or data has prolonged many a life but I believe that for many people,your dad included,there has to be a deeper reason for their longevity.
"Its in the genes",is a phrase bandied about.I dont know anything genetic but Im sure there must be something in it.
For example members of my own family on my mothers side lived to their mid seventies and that was it.
On my fathers side,my grandad my father and two of his brothers all fell prey to one particular form of cancer.
So to the Duke.I cannot deny he has lived a life of priviledge but also believe in the old adage,"Whats for you wont go by you." rolleyes.gif

tombro
Coronary stenting is not a dangerous procedure, being regularly used to open up blocked arteries throughout the world. That Phillip (despite his advanced age) has had it makes me feel good as it is the same procedure as the one that saved my life late in 2006 when I had a heart attack.

It is a procedure, though, that should be readily available to all in cardiac hospitals, irrespective of their socio-economic standing.

Tombro smile.gif
ashfield
I wish no ill on the chookie, I care about what happens to him as much as he cares what happens to me rolleyes.gif
benny
Well, ma table obviously isnae as replete as yours wi luxuries, Joop. Ah cannae remember the last time ah had grouse an chips. Pigeons, ah' ve never tried, but ah believe a handful o corn an a hammer might work as well as a shotgun if ah wanted pigeon pie. tongue.gif

Ah think ye're certainly right as far as genetic factors influencing longevity goes, but lifestyle also plays a big part. Ma Da lived in the days of fry ups, full cream milk and hot buttered toast, but he also lived in the days when most working class people had tough manual jobs. The saturated fat didnae hiv a chance tae settle in their arteries, because they burned it aw up when they went tae work.

And - before ah forget - a merr Christmas an Happy New Year tae yoursef an family, an everybody on the board.
Dylan
QUOTE (tombro @ 26th Dec 2011, 08:10am) *
Coronary stenting is not a dangerous procedure, being regularly used to open up blocked arteries throughout the world. That Phillip (despite his advanced age) has had it makes me feel good as it is the same procedure as the one that saved my life late in 2006 when I had a heart attack.

It is a procedure, though, that should be readily available to all in cardiac hospitals, irrespective of their socio-economic standing.Tombro smile.gif

It is available to all Cardiac Hospitals ??
Rabbie
QUOTE (ashfield @ 26th Dec 2011, 10:13am) *
I wish no ill on the chookie, I care about what happens to him as much as he cares what happens to me rolleyes.gif

Awe come on noo, huv a heart. laugh.gif
tombro
Dylan,

It is a procedure that SHOULD be readily available TO ALL IN cardiac hospitals ...

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Dylan
It is available in all Cardiac Hospitals.

It is available to all in Cardiac Hospitals.

Why the mocking eyes ?

Am I missing something ?
TeeHeeHee
One of our members, LindaMac, has been admitted this morning for the same procedure. Her doctor let her have Christmas day and boxing day at home with her family first. (probably wanted Christmas and boxing day with his family rolleyes.gif ) but Linda has been very worried about the whole thing.
Hope she's OK now. Get well soon Linda. wink.gif
Dylan
Best wishes Lindamac.

I assume you are younger than " The Chookie " and recovery will be somewhat quicker.
Alex Saville
Phil the Greek, the original asylum seeker, has done well for himself thanks to the UK taxpayer.
Dont suppose his wife had parking problems when she visited him.
No scraping up the parking fee or worrying about the fixed penalty ticket, unlike those patients and visitors, at the Royal.
Guess he wouldn't have to eat the re-heated frozen rubbish served up by Greater Glasgow & Clyde Health Board either

Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Alex Saville @ 28th Dec 2011, 12:31am) *
Phil the Greek, the original asylum seeker, has done well for himself thanks to the UK taxpayer.

He doesn't, you know. The UK taxpayer gives no personal income to members of the royal family.

Rabbie
Who pays to ferry thier royal carcasses around in RAF Transport? Have ye seen the price of AVTUR these days!?
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 28th Dec 2011, 12:52am) *
Who pays to ferry thier royal carcasses around in RAF Transport?

That'll come out of the Civil List, which, of course, isn't personal income.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 28th Dec 2011, 12:03am) *
That'll come out of the Civil List, which, of course, isn't personal income.

Indeedy mundo. Yet, I feel, in these straitened times that this still is a direct drain on the public purse. As far as I understand only Queenie receives a direct income to help her "defray" the costs of running the Royal Household and keeping the flunkys content. I understand that she receives iro 8 000 000 per annum. That's a fair amount of hoose keeping money and my Missus is getting ideas above her station and is demanding a pay rise!

Flip, I believe, as Consort receives some form indirect income from the public purse to the tune c300k per annum. After consideration, I feel this is a mere spit in the ocean for the quality of the entertainment he provides, a much cheaper option than say; Jonathon Woss.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 28th Dec 2011, 01:48am) *
Indeedy mundo. Yet, I feel, in these straitened times that this still is a direct drain on the public purse.

Well, if you want to abandon the agreement by which the government funds the Civil List, it would be necessary to return the revenues of the Crown Estate to the Crown, instead of the Treasury, which is how the Civil List came about. Since the Treasury receives vastly more from Crown Estate revenues than it pays in the Civil List, the net result is that the Treasury, and hence the taxpayer, would be far worse off financially.

After consideration, I feel this is a mere spit in the ocean for the quality of the entertainment he provides, a much cheaper option than say; Jonathon Woss.

I have to admit that my opinion of the Chookie Embra has mellowed over the years, and I rather like the way he refuses to be a po-faced ambassador for Political Correctness in these strait-jacketed times.
tombro
Sorry Dylan,

Your original statement had question marks so I thought you were suggesting that I said the procedure was available in all Cardiac Hospitals.

Mea Culpa,
Tombro
Alex Saville
Isn't the Civil List paid for by the taxpayer? Or perhaps it's the Good Fairy!
Who needs personal income when they live off the fat of the land!
These deadbeats lead privileged lives at our expense.
Time they got themselves got themselves a new job.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Alex Saville @ 28th Dec 2011, 05:07pm) *
Isn't the Civil List paid for by the taxpayer?

It's a partial compensation for the Crown Estate revenues that were transferred to the Treasury by George III. Crown Estate revenues which go to the Treasury exceed the Civil List by a huge margin. Crown Estate portfolios are worth over 7 billion. The Civil List is about 7 million per annum. In common parlance, this is a taxpayer bargain par excellence.

benny
Aye, it's a real bargain. It's like somebody muggin ye fur a wallet wi a coupla grand in it, then only chargin ye fifty quid fur it's return.
Mathieson
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 28th Dec 2011, 02:01am) *
I have to admit that my opinion of the Chookie Embra has mellowed over the years, and I rather like the way he refuses to be a po-faced ambassador for Political Correctness in these strait-jacketed times.

I don't have any great love for Ra Chookie either but on balance think I would rather put up with his un-PC manner than that of smarmy creeps like Tony Blair.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 29th Dec 2011, 10:06pm) *
I don't have any great love for Ra Chookie either but on balance think I would rather put up with his un-PC manner than that of smarmy creeps like Tony Blair.

Phoney Blair, that's an insult to smarmy creeps!
tamhickey
Shouldn't the headline have been "Millionaire immigrant gets the finest treatment available on the NHS despite never working a day in his life!"
"This scrounger has been living here for almost SIXTY years, yet has never worked for ONE day in the U.K. He has lived amongst us all, yet never assimilated into the general population and has lived in PALACES at the expense of the British taxpayer to the tune of Millions of pounds every year and is flown worldwide at public expense.
Neighbours complained that he got his house fully furnished with wide screen t.v.'s, mobile phones and free Nana Mouskouri DVD's to remind him of home!
One was quoted as saying "What's he ever done, yet he gets all these benefits? All he's done is marry that girl down the road and had four kids with their subsequent grandkids and we're to pay for it all? Makes you wonder why we pay our taxes"
A supporter of Philip disagreed saying, "It's unfair to attribute nothingness to his worth to British society, I mean think of the good work the Duke of Edinburgh Awards do. And he's married to our lovely queen, gawd bless her."
On being informed of his monarchial connections, we will of course kow tow to this lovely man despite his racist overtones and say that he's wonderful for the country, has a great sense of humour, kills game to protect the countryside and can speak Greek as well as English. It's hoped he hasn't put any of his (our) money into Greek bonds and we shall of course be as servile as ever.

The Daily Wail.
anonymous
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 28th Dec 2011, 12:48am) *
Indeedy mundo. Yet, I feel, in these straitened times that this still is a direct drain on the public purse. As far as I understand only Queenie receives a direct income to help her "defray" the costs of running the Royal Household and keeping the flunkys content. I understand that she receives iro 8 000 000 per annum. That's a fair amount of hoose keeping money and my Missus is getting ideas above her station and is demanding a pay rise!

Rabbie, she gets the 8mil giro from the civil list and another 22mil giro housing benefit.

Our Dear Leader( her 5th,cousin) has scrapped that and is bunging her 15% from the Toffs Piggy Bank (Crown Estate) revenues.

The piggy bank revenue is declared at 210mil so her giro will be iro 31mil.

As the Crown Estates owns more than 50% of the British coastline the revenue will grow as licences are sold for alternative energy and offshore windfarms go up like mobile phone masts.

They're even putting one in front of Donald Trumps Golf Course , the hairdo is beelin!

As we plebs know all about the civil list this is a good way of increasing the royal giro every year on the fly.

RR
Rabbie
Well, perhaps wan thing is likely; many decent, honest fowks ain't going to benefit in any tangable aspect from the income generated by the Crown Estates. Of horse, a certain breed of out-moded, foosty upper echelons may just benefit a wee bittie more than yer average Malky and Senga.

A golf course. Tsk.. the bane of all planning committees.

Now it beggers to be mentioned, that I consider any private golf course as a utter waste of a potential nuclear waste fillsite or even an alternative (wind) energy site. The latter choice being due the over abundance of hot air and manure that naturally pervades the fairways; greens and drinking holes of said establishments.

Honestly, ye wid think by the noo that Trump wid have scrimped and saved enough pennies the gither to go oot and purchase a haulf decent rug fur his napper.

I wonder the RAF(MOD) are sending Plip the bill for his wee Heli jolly intea the hospital. I doubt they wid helivac any of us lot intae The Royal cause of a wee pain in the chest.. No doobt a few sympathtic words would be proffered, along the lines of "Git aff yer fat erse an' hike it ya big lazy effer, the walk will dea yer ticker good."

Aye. wan rule right enough.

Come the revolution, Comrades Brother and Sisters. I will leave ye lot to it, as I am aff to the Bahama's fur a wee break. tongue.gif cool.gif

anonymous
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 30th Dec 2011, 12:04pm) *
Honestly, ye wid think by the noo that Trump wid have scrimped and saved enough pennies the gither to go oot and purchase a haulf decent rug fur his napper.

Exactly what I've been saying for years Rabbie, I wonder if his minnions are feart tae tell him he's severely challenged napperwise!- does he have the same barber as Archie MacPherson?

Mathieson
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 30th Dec 2011, 05:50am) *
Shouldn't the headline have been "Millionaire immigrant gets the finest treatment available on the NHS despite never working a day in his life!"
"This scrounger has been living here for almost SIXTY years, yet has never worked for ONE day in the U.K. He has lived amongst us all, yet never assimilated into the general population and has lived in PALACES at the expense of the British taxpayer to the tune of Millions of pounds every year and is flown worldwide at public expense.
Neighbours complained that he got his house fully furnished with wide screen t.v.'s, mobile phones and free Nana Mouskouri DVD's to remind him of home!
One was quoted as saying "What's he ever done, yet he gets all these benefits? All he's done is marry that girl down the road and had four kids with their subsequent grandkids and we're to pay for it all? Makes you wonder why we pay our taxes"
A supporter of Philip disagreed saying, "It's unfair to attribute nothingness to his worth to British society, I mean think of the good work the Duke of Edinburgh Awards do. And he's married to our lovely queen, gawd bless her."
On being informed of his monarchial connections, we will of course kow tow to this lovely man despite his racist overtones and say that he's wonderful for the country, has a great sense of humour, kills game to protect the countryside and can speak Greek as well as English. It's hoped he hasn't put any of his (our) money into Greek bonds and we shall of course be as servile as ever.

The Daily Wail.

Very good. smile.gif
dondon
So the old yin has never done a days work, so being by Liz's side while suffering fools across the world is not hard work.
What a bitter, twisted and indeed racist rant, a rant that should be tackled by the in place legislation.

So the old yin has never done a days work, so being by Liz's side while suffering fools across the world is not hard work.
What a bitter, twisted and indeed racist rant, a rant that should be tackled by the in place legislation.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (dondon @ 30th Dec 2011, 02:53pm) *

As someone who could probably teach the majority on the board what a real Racist Rant sounds like I always get amused when the Racist card is brought up to belittle another persons point of view.
What is racist about a Scot talking about a Greek or are Western Europeans a different race from Eastern Europeans?
bilbo.s
That´s the stuff ! Get right tore in there on your first post on your second day. I see why you keep your profile empty. laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 30th Dec 2011, 03:09pm) *
That´s the stuff ! Get right tore in there on your first post on your second day. I see why you keep your profile empty. laugh.gif

It reminded me of something Auld Butcher would have said, only I dont see him defending the Duke. laugh.gif
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 30th Dec 2011, 05:50am) *

He served with distinction in the British Navy from the age of eighteen, and served on a British battleship during the war ; unless of course you're arguing that ratings and officers in the British Navy are workshy scroungers.

"This scrounger has been living here for almost SIXTY years, yet has never worked for ONE day in the U.K. He has lived amongst us all, yet never assimilated into the general population

What do you call active service in a British naval destroyer during the war, and commander of a British frigate?

All he's done is marry that girl down the road and had four kids with their subsequent grandkids and we're to pay for it all? Makes you wonder why we pay our taxes

Certainly not to pay for his grandchildren. They get nothing from the Civil List.

can speak Greek as well as English. It's hoped he hasn't put any of his (our) money into Greek bonds and we shall of course be as servile as ever.

He is of Danish descent and born into the Greek royal family. He has said he can understand some Greek, but doesn't speak it. Hardly surprising, as the military Greek government force the Greek king to abdicate and had the entire Greek royal family banished for life when he was a small boy.
dondon
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 30th Dec 2011, 04:50am) *

The Daily Wail.

I think Alex encompasses all that needs to be said to kill such an ill conceived and bitter post.

I would have to cede the point "What is racist about a Scot talking about a Greek or are Western Europeans a different race from Eastern Europeans?" Now if you could explain to us why the Irish can be racially abused by anyone on the British mainland then I may just think that you see this 'non-racism' as exactly that rather than it being nothing more than racist only if it works one certain way. If I don't agree with your racism then I'm racist, it's good but, as they say, not good enough. No doubt using your inverted racism Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King would not have been racist for speaking disparagingly about any other black person or voicing derogatory terms of black people.

What you posted is racist and done without you even having the facts of Phillip's life to hand. What you have aired is biased, untrue and unwarranted. I don't think claiming that someone complaining about you posting racist comments makes them racist will wash with anyone. It is however a very novel approach and I must congratulate you on your ingenuity.
ashfield
I don't know about you guys but the by line at the bottom suggests to me that Tamhickey has cut and pasted this from a well known internet site.

Apologies if I'm wrong Tam rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.