Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riley's - Nanson St. Garscube Road
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
garbeta
Went back to Nanson Street on one of my trips and was a bit Shell Shocked to discover what was left of Riley's corner store. Back in the 40s it used to be the Hub of the street where you could buy almost anything from Groceries- (Ration Books)-Hardware-Toys-Clothes, I can still see the shop windows all lit up at Xmas time full of Toys with all us little kids picking out what we hope we were getting via Santa, funny old days but worth remembering. Cheers and a Merry Xmas. Bill
irrie
Morning all. Garbeta is that Willie Rileys shop your talking about?. If it is I went there nearly every day for my grandas papers n ciggies [woodbine]. I remember Willie well he had a brother who worked there I believe it was Frank. Cheers
Jupiter
I well remember this shop.It was an Aladdins cave.It was stashed from floor to ceiling with every conceivable household item.I dont think it sold food.I always remember at the back of the shop there was a small counter where they had things like socks and handkies buttons ribbons and other notions rolleyes.gif haberdashery no less .It really was a treat to go to Willie Reillys.I recall he was a big, beefy cheery man.I think his brothers name was Freddy...that seems to ring a bell.
irrie
Morning Jupiter. Believe your right it was Freddy. Just had a senior moment. Cheers
Dimairt
I took these snaps in May 2008 when the shop was being refurbished.

Durachdan,

Eddy
Jupiter
Dimairt,you have managed to capture the original hand painted signs over the shop which is great.After the Reillys retired the shop was taken over and turned into a general store but a world away from what it for was.The window displays were just magic especially at this time of year and many a kids Xmas toy came from there .I can still picture the big buckets,brushes and mops.There was always a smell of bleach and soap and the shelves were just jam packed.I suppose it was a mini Asda/Tesco of its day. rolleyes.gif
garbeta
QUOTE (irrie @ 18th Dec 2011, 05:19am) *
Morning all. Garbeta is that Willie Rileys shop your talking about?. If it is I went there nearly every day for my grandas papers n ciggies [woodbine]. I remember Willie well he had a brother who worked there I believe it was Frank. Cheers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.