Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canada Isolated - For Now
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
wee davy
The 1997 Kyoto agreement on climate change, is clearly about to totally unravel, after Canada starts the ball rolling, by kicking it into the long grass.

Although I'm not entirely confident Cameron & Co will take the same (prudent and timely) step, we will no doubt see a whole host of countries taking a similar posture due to economic climate conditions.

In 1997, the world was a different place.

Canada will save billions by this measure, in the short term - by not paying fines for defaulting on targets.

Good for them, I say.

Anybody else with a view?
anonymous
Agree totally Davy, the world's biggest polluters, China are signed up to it so I doubt the validity of the Kyota Protocol.

What I think would help is for people to stop buying goods that are not manufactured under the same environmental, health and safety and staff welfare conditions as the UK.

We walk out of TESCO with our environmentally friendly bags filled wirh goods that have been transported half way round the world, conned into the belief that we're saving the planet.

zascot
QUOTE (red rooster @ 14th Dec 2011, 06:43am) *
Agree totally Davy, the world's biggest polluters, China are signed up to it so I doubt the validity of the Kyota Protocol.

What I think would help is for people to stop buying goods that are not manufactured under the same environmental, health and safety and staff welfare conditions as the UK.

We walk out of TESCO with our environmentally friendly bags filled wirh goods that have been transported half way round the world, conned into the belief that we're saving the planet.

The trouble is we all want the cheap goods and if the cheap countries have to comply with health and safety then they will not be cheap anymore.In my opinion health and safety is a great thing but it is often taken to far.
Mathieson
I just wish all these green issue do-gooder disciples would stop polluting the earth by gadding about from continent to continent on comfy jets, (while making a tidy sum out of it), to lecture us about how we're polluting the earth.
zascot
Agreed Mathison, they have all just left Durban and what did they agree after a week, not much.
anonymous
QUOTE (zascot @ 14th Dec 2011, 06:37am) *
The trouble is we all want the cheap goods and if the cheap countries have to comply with health and safety then they will not be cheap anymore.In my opinion health and safety is a great thing but it is often taken to far.

That's very true, people have great principles as long as it do'nt cost them money, they hate pollution and slavery but don't hesitate to buy a toaster for a fiver thats been made by a slave in some sweatshop and shipped halfway round the world.

I believe the Chinese scupperd the meeting in Durban because they want to hold on to Kyota, dont suppose a fine for exceeding the limits matters when you have trillions of dollars in the bank.
wee davy
Bingo!! lol

Money Talks wink.gif
zascot
QUOTE (red rooster @ 14th Dec 2011, 11:18am) *
I believe the Chinese scupperd the meeting in Durban because they want to hold on to Kyota, dont suppose a fine for exceeding the limits matters when you have trillions of dollars in the bank.

I once had a Toyota Kyota and could`nt get a fine for exceeding any limits.lol wink.gif
wee davy
Whats this about fines? rom what I've heard, you able to drive around like bliddy lunatics anyway, over there zascot. tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Zascot moved over here has he? laugh.gif
anonymous
QUOTE (zascot @ 14th Dec 2011, 10:51am) *
I once had a Toyota Kyota and could`nt get a fine for exceeding any limits.lol wink.gif

And you wi' yer trillions o' dollars in the bank!
zascot
Used to be in the good old days now the speed traps are everywhere. Don`t think I`ve got to trillions yet but I`ll check.lol biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.