Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dugshots: Glasgow's War On Terriers
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GG
Click to view attachment

City bosses have been getting hot under the collar after their latest attempt to clean our streets was branded "farcical". Bosses want the city's housing officers to keep a photographic record of all tenants' dogs, together with pet's name, age, breed, colour, sex and a written description of each animal.

The 'dugshot' (dog mugshot) policy, adopted by Drumchapel Housing Cooperative and encouraged by the council, is intended to allow enforcement officers to identify dogs who foul on the city's streets. The officers have often complained that dog walkers frequently use hats and scarves to disguise themselves, making it difficult to identify them and trace them back to a housing association's property.

Attention now, though, is turning to the dogs themselves, and council bosses hope a doggie photo database will allow Clean Glasgow staff to check photographs of dogs against CCTV stills to help identify irresponsible owners. Offending dog owners will face a fine and possibly risk losing their homes in the crackdown.

A council executive spokesman said:
"[Photographic] animal registers are another weapon in the battle to change people’s habits and force them to act responsibly."

Nick Pickles, a civil liberties activist, branded the plans over-the-top:
"While it may seem farcical, the serious implications of this kind of surveillance cannot be understated. It is a grossly disproportionate response to the issue to adopt the kind of surveillance not seen since the fall of the Berlin Wall to tackle dog fouling.

It's hardly surprising that between managing these databases of pet mugshots and hiding in hedges taking surveillance photographs the council struggle to find the time to clean the streets."

Since the beginning of August, 109 40 fixed penalty notices have been issued in the city for dog fouling as part of action designed to reduce the 10 tons of dog mess the council clears every day.

Click to view attachment

GG.
angel
A better chance of getting the 40pounds fine from the dogs .!
Rabbie
Wit next dug prints, biometric dugports and DNA samples

Its sad to think that some scat brained eegits get paid a wage to come up with keech like this.

jakka13
Who wid want the job of collectimg the DNA from wee dugs dain ther business .Better gettin mug shots of the owners who don't pick it up .Mer chance o'gettin money from them than the dug . rolleyes.gif
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (GG @ 9th Dec 2011, 12:37am) *
The officers have often complained that dog walkers frequently use hats and scarves to disguise themselves, making it difficult to identify them and trace them back to a housing association's property.

It presumably hasn't dawned on them that a dog-walker who uses a hat and scarf to mask his identity while roaming the roads with Rover, will be savvy enough to put a hat and scarf on the dug too, and keep them both incognito while pooch paces the pavements for a place to pee and poo.
campsie
QUOTE (GG @ 8th Dec 2011, 11:37pm) *
City bosses have been getting hot under the collar after their latest attempt to clean the city was branded "farcical". Bosses want the city's housing officers to keep a photographic record of all tenants' dogs, together with pet's name, age, breed, colour, sex and a written description of each animal. ...

As a dog owner I really cannot understand those dog owners who let their dogs foul the pavements and don't pick it up. I wonder how quick those self same people would be if a toddler in their family were to fall over in the pavement and loose their sight from a parasitic infection left behind from a dogs shit. They would be squealing blue murder no doubt. THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES. As for those who want to spout about civil liberties and the such, GROW UP and get some common sense. Dog owners like these should be shamed into cleaning up their act why should clean innocent people have to put up with this filth.
The Callands Rebel
Yes, this Colonist has a word on this, too.

I have pondered for years, now, who has the market share of idiotic government leadership.

Sorry, but as we Colonists sprung from the Isles, the UK wins the DoDo award for government leadership, DID I SAY LEADERSHIP from either?

But we probaly corner the market on paying these fools.

If you serve just one term you are afforded a pension FOR LIFE to the tune of 80,000 pounds and the higher in politics you go, the higher the
pension , AGAIN, FOR LIFE.

Jerry
campsie
I appreciate where you are coming from Jerry, but fools they might be stupid they are not, not when they are inline for 80,000, think I might become one of those fools.
one time weegie
So its only tenants dogs that foul the streets now is it? I can't see many truly anti-social owners letting a housing officer ID their dog in the first place and some of the hounds I have seen I wouldnt want to without a very long lens anyway! What do the housing Dept Staff have to say about this one?
daddymuzza
10 tons of dog mess the council clears every DAY ......... My Dugs Arse !!!!!
Where does the ten tons of dog mess go each day ? where is yesterdays ? or last weeks 70 ton for that matter.
Is it always dumped (lol) by the council in the same place cause i'm sure we wouldn't need a sniffer dog to find it.
Or do they have some kind of muck spredder to ease the burden.
youngsy
Surely this is a wind up. Please tell me that this is a joke because if there are people getting paid to come up with these sort of suggestions then please someone step in and show the people of Drumchapel the idiots that are making decisions on their behalf.

Now personally I don't like dogs, never have since two bit me as a young lad, but as for fouling the srteets this is down to irresponsible people who should have a lot more consideration for the public.

I can understand the need to take action on people whose dogs foul the street but a photo database on dogs, who's kidding who. Perhaps a designated dog patrol, maybe on similar lines to what the police had in the sixties/seventies, the untouchables,whose sworn duty would be to hunt down and handcuff, or maybe pawcuff is a better word, these dogs that have flouted the law of the canine world.
beth
Youngsy, that is what I thought, a kid on, it is surely?
zascot
What goes " Woof Woof Bang"? A terrierist.
cocotkd
Another waste of taxpayers money. If it wasn't for dog poo half of us will have no luck! tongue.gif
Austinstaff
What about a dug Bar-L ? We could have dug courts and lawyers defending innocent dugs ! I know ; a dug identity parade ! Wa this the dug you saw sir ? Lol dug police ? Dug parole board and rehabiitation too ! Brilliant lol. The list is endless. I am up for it . There are a lot of dangerous dugs oot there ; let's be careful.
*Jungle Jim*
So, we are to believe that this "farcical" - I'd have went further - policy is somehow to make our streets cleaner? Didn't we go down this road before for people who dropped a fag end and then putting their details in the local rag? How long did that last? How effective was that? Are Glasgow's streets any cleaner for having spent millions on that particular waste of time?

Perhaps someone - if there is anyone - among the council "bosses" who knows what they are doing should ask WHY Glasgow has the dirtiest streets in Europe? Civic Pride? And how can we have any civic pride when we see the our leaders shame the city at any and every opportunity?
tamhickey
You'd think we'd nothing better to spend our money on. Are they all barking mad?
ashfield
I like a good laugh in the morning, can you get whoever thought this one up to produce more ideas to keep us going laugh.gif

I suppose if people don't pay their fines they will call in the retrievers rolleyes.gif

There is good reason to try and stop some owners from allowing their dogs to foul public areas and pavements. This "plan" isn't the way to do it.
Rabbie
Wit dea ye call a dug wi a lisp....Ruth!
TeeHeeHee
Jeez ... Ye need eyes at the back o' yer hied noo. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Rabbie
Haw haw, very good! Noo then, this has to be a wee bit of wind up but it's no April 1st yit.

Right enough dug mess is a problem thats afoot in many areas but it trancends all elements of our society, it's no jist the domain some cooncil tenents. Fookwits and the socially challenged hail from all walks of "life"; classes, creeds, colours and genders, 4 of them at last count.

One cheap and easy solution would be to package up the offending goodies and then pop the present through the letter box of the unsuspecting owner. It's Christmassss efter all, the time to give.

Now theres a real joab opportunity, any takers for a Scoop and Post Operative?

"Dug shit is a problem, together we can stamp it out!"
Rabbie
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Dec 2011, 08:49am) *
Jeez ... Ye need eyes at the back o' yer hied noo. laugh.gif

Now waash yer paws!
ashfield
Great idea Rabbie but................we had a serial dropper round our way, problem was we had no idea when it was happening. By the size of the evidence we all thought we were looking for a guy wi' an elephant on a lead rolleyes.gif I would have been happy to "return to sender" but it would have to gone back parcel post.

Which takes me to the futility of the cunning plan outlined at the beginning. People who let their dugs foul pavements rarely do it near their own house.

As for our problem, well it just stopped but we never caught the culprit.
chas1937
What about folk who just open door and let dog out unlike me and my neighbours who take our dogs out no matter whether it was a day as bad as yesterday.It's these dogs that foul on pavements and elsewhere.We clean up our dog poo and where do we have too put it.In the litter bins as there is no designated dog bins in my area.Then we come to all this carry on about making children go blind etc.Can anyone on the site put their hand up and honestly say yes they know someone which I very much doubt.There already are wardens who come out regularly here with cameras and yes I do know folk who have fell foul and been caught.Guess what they gave out false names and addresses so where do they go from there.At least the weather isn't shitty today.
mlconnelly
As someone who regularly has to walk a slalom course down my street to avoid dog shit , I'm open to any suggestions as to how to get inconsiderate and irresponsible dog owners to pick up after their dogs. My local housing association sends out regular letters to everyone, including homeowners who are factored by them, explaining the consequences of dog fouling and offer poop scoops free to anyone who asks. They also encourage the public to report and, if possible, to photograph anyone they see not picking up after their dogs. So until someone comes up with a better idea, anythings better than nothing. Mary
PS. As it was pointed out to me ages ago, there's not point putting up "No Dog Fouling" notices, dugs cannae read. laugh.gif
sumac
I have laughed and laughed at all your comments! And the wee jokes are brilliant! It's all almost as funny as the idea of "dugshots". I don't want to appear "racist" (or should that be "doggist"?) but, to most people, one lab looks like another lab, one terrier looks like another, etc. You can see from my avatar that I am a doggy person and I can't tell the difference! What chance a Dug Patrol.

"Is this your dug, mister? Naw, Ah'm lookin efter it fur a freen an anywye, ma dug's only goat 3 legs, honest."

There are several dog-owners near us who live in "the big posh hooses" who never pick up. I get mad at having to Dodge the Do to pick up after my dog. I think the idea of posting it back sounds great but - - - - one of the huge Newfoundland dogs' owners is Man Mountain like his dug. I don't fancy posting anything through his door!!!

As for 10 tons of dogs**t? I'd believe it! I think it's all lying on the pavements of Ayrshire!
Rabbie
Another simple solution, smack the dug owner on the snort with a rolled up newspaper.

Su for the appropraite renumeration <winks>, I will post the package though the man mountains door. I am a black belt in Origami, if he starts on me I will fold him in haulf.

jack j
don't these people have more to do with thier time than sitting on thier backsides thinking up ways and means of controling people (and thier dogs) it'll be thier cats next . why don't they get a life?

jack j
anyway who separates and wieghs the stuff?
james mchugh
QUOTE (beth @ 9th Dec 2011, 04:08am) *
Youngsy, that is what I thought, a kid on, it is surely?

sumac
Oh thanks, Rabbie! If you fold him in half, I might just be able to reach his nose to punch it!!! rolleyes.gif
droschke7
Housing officers are to keep dugshots of tennants dogs? What about those who own their houses or flats? Can their dogs foul the streets with impunity?
thunder badger
This looks like a job for.....FENTON!!!
RobBob
QUOTE (zascot @ 9th Dec 2011, 05:31am) *
What goes " Woof Woof Bang"? A terrierist.

Sounds more like a terrierist chasing a parked car.

The war on Terrier droppings could be easily solved if the city decides that it is not going to pickup doggie droppings for the next month. After 30 days of ten tons a day, 300 tons of it lying around is sure to catch the attention of everyone. I think then that the people who let their dogs drop will soon get the message when they have to fight the mess while walking their dogs, being the ones whose terriers created it. People will continue to walk their dogs on the same pathways each day and when they have to fight the problem themselves they will come to understand what is causing it. Next the city can put up free baggies on a telephone pole at the worst spots with a notice to the dog owners so the people get the idea of what they are expected to do. Sometimes you have to just let things happen the way nature decided them to happen to help people get the message. It isn't the dog's fault.
dot21
I am a dog owner and I think it is disgusting that owner's leave the mess anywhere, I for one never have I alway's clean up after my pet it is not the dog's fault but the owner's and anyone doing this should be fined on the spot.

We live beside a beach and most people are responsible owner's but one lady did not pick up after her dog unknown to her the dog warden was watching and fined her 40 which she had to pay there and then. She assured me it would be the last time she would not pick up after her dog so maybe this policy work's.
Rabbie
Unfortunately, I have seen a wee issue with leaving wee bags, certain dug owners scoop and bag. Yet, they then bollox it by then hanging the bags of duggie doings in nearby bushes, including those in other fowks gardens. There are places that resemble a duggie poo bag Xmas tree.

Surely, dunnderhieds of this ilk that engage in the above offence practice are potentially berift of life from the neck upwards. Indeeed I would submit that serial offenders should be banned from keeping dugs.

Sadly, it appears in some instances dugs have more intelligence their owners.
dot21
I quite agree with you Rabbie but responsible owners can take the wee bag's home with them and dispose of them there, the one's who don't are worse than their pet's who only know what their owner teaches them.
Austinstaff
What about a dug Bar-L ? We could have dug courts and lawyers defending innocent dugs ! I know ; a dug identity parade ! Wa this the dug you saw sir ? Lol dug police ? Dug parole board and rehabiitation too ! Brilliant lol. The list is endless. I am up for it . There are a lot of dangerous dugs oot there ; let's be careful
Rab-oldname
Two men are approaching each other as the walk down the street. Both
are dragging their right foot as they walk. As they meet, one man looks
at the other knowingly, points at his foot and says, "Vietnam, 1973."

The other points his thumb behind him and says, "Dog s**t, 20 feet back."

Click to view attachment'Not me!'
nakimaki
Ah think the fine should be in relation to the size of the dirt not the size of the dug coz have seen some wee dugs ....

--
GG Edit: okay, naki, I think I'll stop you there!
GG
This story came back to bite the council's bum a wee bit after a disgruntled resident at Lancefield Quay wrote into to the Evening Times to complain about the mess left behind by domesticated animals ... only this time it was horses, police horses!

The unhappy resident living near a walkway overlooking the Clyde complained that the sheer scale of horse mess made it a more potent danger than dog dirt:

"The walkway has been done up really well by the city council in anticipation of the Commonwealth Games. It is well used by residents and by people going to and from the SECC and other venues and offices.

It is now a beautiful area, but it is being spoiled not by dogs but by police horses. I frequently see police horses cantering along the walkway and they leave a trail of manure behind.

Joggers, cyclists, tourists and people walking have to negotiate their way round a lot of horse dung.

The horses soil pavements and roads so why don't the police carry poop scoops for the horses, because they leave a much bigger mess than any dog would."

A police spokesman replied:
"As all horses are vegetarians their excrement is completely biodegradable and breaks down very quickly into powder form.

Where required, we contact the local council in the area the horses are in to organise to clean up."

A council spokesman responded to the complaint:
"There is a legal requirement for people to clean up after their dogs and that is what Clean Glasgow is enforcing. There is no law requiring riders to clean up manure left by their horses on public pathways.

Horses are vegetarian, so their manure does not present the same health risks as dog faeces."

GG.
Rabbie
"As all horses are vegetarians their excrement is completely biodegradable and breaks down very quickly into powder form."

Aye true enough. Now, if only the excrement politicains / think tank numpties produce was of some use. Hot air.... hmm alternative energy, could be on to a winner there. Mind ye, ye heard it from me first!

I havnea heard of horse joabbies harming anywan, wid ye fertilise yer prize roses wi dug doings or gee gee droppings, should be a no brainer tae maist fowks. wink.gif
glasgow lass
o' for a minit there Rabbie a though'y were going to say powdered milk biggrin.gif
DannyH
I am sorry, but I don't agree with some of the contributors to this discussion who seem to think this is a laughing matter. For some reason or others many Scots accept dog fouling and litter as just a way of life. Sadly, in Scotland it is accepted as such. We as a nation have lost pride in our country. Oh yes we will sing "Oh Flower of Scotland" at football matches and other events, throwing our chests out with pride, while at the same time dropping tons of litter at our feet.

I cite as an example of how low we have sunk as a nation when Japanese students and other Japanese nationals went around the streets of Glasgow cleaning up the litter, as a way of thanking Glaswegians for their support for the Japanese who suffered during the Tsunami. Our newspapers printed photos of these goodhearted Japanese at work on our behalf. Welcome to the city that is going to host the Commonwealth Games!

It is too late now for Glasgow Councillors to reverse dog fouling or the litter problem. It is part of our culture whether we like it or not. Some of the responses on this discussion confirm this. It is a big joke. Travel on any train or bus in Glasgow and surrounding areas and by the time you reach your destination you will see litter all over these vehicles. Look out the windows during your journey and what do you see? Litter everywhere.

I went to school in Canada when I was evacuated during World War Two. We lived outside the City boundary, so there was no refuse collection service. Every household had to dispose of its own rubbish. This was done by incinerating what would burn, and burying everything else. The streets were spotless. It was drummed into us at school that we must take pride in our commuinity.

I went back five years ago for a short visit. I walked down the same streets. There was no litter to be seen.

So the moral of that ending is that pride in the community has been passed on through the generations in the community where I lived in Canada. It is also obvious that the same thing has happened in Japan. Sadly, pride in the community has not been passed on through the generations in Scotland. This discussion would not be treated as a joke in those two countries, or indeed in many other parts of the world.

Danny Harris
Rabbie
Poodered mulk Lass. Never touch the stuff!!
Rabbie
QUOTE (DannyH @ 10th Dec 2011, 12:35am) *
We as a nation have lost pride in our country. Oh yes we will sing "Oh Flower of Scotland" at football matches and other events, throwing our chests out with pride, while at the same time dropping tons of litter at our feet.

I disagree!

For one, speaking for myself, as it were. I have not lost pride in the UK, yet. This once fine nation can be saved from losing its unique identity.

However, I am jolly well miffed at the way we are mismanaged and about all PC wiffle we are bombarded with. PC, for me is far worse than any amount of dog fouling or wee nyaffs littering the streets with cider bottles and fag ends.

Oh, for the record, I do not possess a sense of humour. In fact, it has been remarked by top scientists that I have no sense at awe; lead and mercury posioning apparently.

Thankfully, in my favour I cannea and willnea sing. Also, ah certainly do not drop litter or foul the streets. I am properly hoose trained and free to a guid hame, just contact Missus Rabbie ;()

tongue.gif
GG
QUOTE (DannyH @ 10th Dec 2011, 12:35am) *
I am sorry, but I don't agree with some of the contributors to this discussion who seem to think this is a laughing matter. ...

It is too late now for Glasgow Councillors to reverse dog fouling or the litter problem. It is part of our culture whether we like it or not. Some of the responses on this discussion confirm this. It is a big joke. Travel on any train or bus in Glasgow and surrounding areas and by the time you reach your destination you will see litter all over these vehicles. Look out the windows during your journey and what do you see? Litter everywhere. ...

Danny, thanks for your very interesting comments on dog fouling and litter in general. We have had a bit of fun here with our replies, but I think that this is typical of Glaswegian humour ... laughing in the face of adversity, or, perhaps in this case, stupidity?

I am sure everyone knows how serious the litter problem is in Glasgow. You only have to walk down any street: from the city centre to the peripheral housing estates, to see streets filled with discarded rubbish and other dirt.

I think we have to look at the underlying reasons, and I would certainly agree that pride in the community (or civic pride, as another poster refered to it) is a major factor. But who/what sets the tone for pride in a community? You mention Glasgow councillors, and I would agree: I think they bear a heavy burden of responsibility for allowing a generational slide in Glaswegians' pride in their own community. Similarly, other city politicians also carry that burden. But to what extent have politicians set an example likely to promote pride in one's community?

Very rarely do politicians even live in the communities which they claim to care so deeply for? Take the case of the ex-MP for Springburn, he represented the poorest constituency in the country while living in one of the most affluent, even then he spent most of his time in London. For many people, the only time they see a politician in their community is when they come knocking on doors looking for a vote ... then another four or five years pass.

Of course, people make their own choices in life. However, those choices are largely determined by their environment, upbringing and, according to the latest social research, overwhelmingly to the levels of inequality in a society. Is it any wonder that pride in our communities has plummeted at exactly the same time that levels of inequality have reached Victorian proportions? It was mentioned that Canadians have more pride in their communities ... is it surprising that Canada is a much more 'equal' country that the UK? Take the least unequal countries in the world: Finland, Norway, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Austria and Germany. Can anyone imagine their streets over-flowing with litter?

I'm just inviting people to look at the underlying reasons as to why Glasgow is such a dirty city. I'm not saying that I have all the answers ... but I do suspect that photographing dogs is not one of them.

GG.
GG
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 10th Dec 2011, 01:05am) *
I disagree!

For one, speaking for myself, as it were. I have not lost pride in the UK, yet. This once fine nation can be saved from losing its unique identity. ...

I refer the learned member to the response I gave some moments ago. wink.gif

GG.
TeeHeeHee
The streets in German towns and cities certainly do not overflow with litter, GG, but I'm starting to wonder how long that might last. Even though we have very many litter bins on the local mountain and surrounding beauty spots (I've even got a film of the refuse collection on the mountain and the guys sweeping and blowing the leaves off the gravel by the BBQ) but in the last few years I've seen too that littering is creeping in around here. We regularly have to take tetra-pacs and bottles out of the hedge, yesterday a broken umbrella, and on the riverside this week I found a wardrobe door complete with mirror. Who drives out of town and then walks along the river to dump a wardrobe door?
As for Sooper Dooper Pooper Scoopers, maybe the dog owners are on benefits with sore backs and can't Stoop t' Scoop, in which case ... I've found the answer.
The No-Stoop Poop Hoop. laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuHFgJM1BU...player_embedded
ashfield
I would bend over backwards for one of them tongue.gif (and if I had a dug of course)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.