Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeremy Clarkson
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
ashfield
Isn't it time that this buffoon was removed from our television sets. This is the latest in a long line of his outrageous insults and loutish behaviour. His pal, the other buffoon, David Cameron thought there was nothing in it.

Jupiter
I agree that Clarkson is a buffoon,unfortunately when you give the likes of him air time on live TV this sort of thing happens.Whilst what he said was unpalatable to many Im sure he has every right to state his opinion.Will he get the bump?I wont miss him.
rolleyes.gif
wombat
dry.gif he shood seek treatment wacko.gif
GG
I think Clarkson's comments are very important as they tell us exactly what his class thinks of public sector workers, at least the non-management kind who are the ones who effectively had no choice but to strike to try to protect their meagre pensions.

No doubt there will be many such comments around middle- and upper-class dinner tables at the weekend, with public sector workers being the blamed for everything that the priviliged think is wrong in their sheltered worlds.

GG.
GG
This US TV guy's got Clarkson sussed ...

GG.

Heather
Clarkson has now apologised, saying it was meant as a joke!!!!!!

Cameron also took a hit at the strikers by saying the strike was a damp squid. I wonder if his Pension will be affected, but being a millionaire he won't know the difference.

Those people need to try living in the real world and try to manage living on the wage's the strikers earn which will be even less with more money being deducted off to pay for the lower Pension.
wombat
blink.gif his show TOP GEAR sends the wrong message to new drivers IMO, theres enuff nutters on the roads without these toss..s
pumps100
He always was an idiot in my opinion. It is unfortunate that the BBC have given him such leeway in Top Gear. The motorheads allegedly love it, and I read some staggering statistic that Top Gear and Clarkston make up the vast bulk of profit for BBC Enterprises, in relation to overseas sales - it is tens of millions.

I also have an issue with the BBC. They put Clarkston on at 7 pm on the One Show with two young autocue divvy presenters, who have no editorial control, and lack the experience to have any savvy common sense . It is a live show. Most people know the SP of Clarkston - who in their right mind would have suggested that they ask him about the public sector strike. The BBC should have known better!

I think also about children of generally low paid public sector workers who might happen to have been watching TV at 7pm - getting ready for bed and watching TV. They would know that their parents had not been working that day. And then they see a man on TV saying that striking public sector workers should be shot in front of their own family. No further words necessary.

Steve Coogan did a piece for the Guardian in February which is worth reading in the context of this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/201...ve-steve-coogan

Regards

Ian
bilbo.s
Iain,
Excellent piece by Steve Coogan. I am not a great fan, but he has gone up considerably in my esteem.

As for Clarkson - another one for the tumbril.
Melody
I wonder, was Clarkson's remarks not timed perfectly to take the heat off Cameron's damp squib remark? Cameron and his cronies underestimate the intelligence of the workers to their peril........I hope. After all, while Clarkson's remarks were a complete outrage, we all know the calibre of this buffoon. To me it is a lot more concerning that we are to accept the calibre of our buffoon of a Prime Minister whose retort is almost as horrific as his buddy's.
Rabbie
Well me old cheps and chepesses afore hinging JC oot wi the waashin let's face it, JC is not bestest known for being PC savvy. This gets my vote, as PC is a just a load of unfathomable rubbish.

Perhaps JC's remarks would have been better received if they had been directed at the inept collection of phuds that are allegedly try to "manage" the UK.

pumps100
Rather like Marmite & A Question of Sport not everyone likes Top Gear.

Stewart Lee is one of my favourite comedians - he also is not a fan!

Quite a long clip, but if you have time:-

Regards

Ian
Alex Saville
Clarkson is another shining example of the 'No talent and big mouth brigade' who either enter politics or get a job on radio or TV.
He has the cheek to suggest he works for a living! He wouldn't know a hards days work if he fell over it in broad daylight.
Alex
wellfield
Big mouth talentless bufoon indeed...I'm glad he's been exposed!....this fella' is so cocky and arrogant,and here was me thinking I was the only guy that couldn't stand him....funny thing is I'd go out of my way to buy his auto magazine he had years ago over here in California,but when I saw him and listened to how he talked to his minions on his show among other things,well that did it,I mean,WHO IN THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!
tamhickey
He's a good pal of David Cameron and perhaps he let slip the mask of what's being said behind closed doors at Number 10 and at Conservative H.Q. Maybe because of this association he thinks he's untouchable and can do what he likes. Well, he may well be right. The comments about Mexicans were nothing less than racism and his comment about Gordon Brown was dreadful as well; "In England we have this one eyed Scotsman running our country". He gets away with remarks like this time after time. It makes you wonder just who runs the show at the BBC, perhaps people of his ilk are running the show and if so, whatever happened to their so called impartiality? This could be a very serious question should they take no action against him.
davidhendry
QUOTE (wellfield @ 3rd Dec 2011, 05:39am) *
Big mouth talentless bufoon indeed...I'm glad he's been exposed!....this fella' is so cocky and arrogant,and here was me thinking I was the only guy that couldn't stand him....funny thing is I'd go out of my way to buy his auto magazine he had years ago over here in California,but when I saw him and listened to how he talked to his minions on his show among other things,well that did it,I mean,WHO IN THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!

His rendition of Scotland Forever is brilliant.

Better than yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davie.
Tommy Kennedy
He's madly in love with himself - has all the attributes that makes a good tory ; arrogance and a superiorty complex
pumps100
QUOTE (davidhendry @ 3rd Dec 2011, 08:30am) *
His rendition of Scotland Forever is brilliant.

Better than yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davie.

Davie,

What is your point? Is this Honey Bee induced?

Regards

Ian
ashfield
The latest from this galoot huh.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/03..._n_1126869.html
wombat
laugh.gif latest foot in mooth from this toss.r "suicides victims are selfish"?
where dae they find these scumbags "oops fergot ETON laugh.gif
Alex MacPhee
Clarkson's entitled to a point of view and to express it -- that's what freedom of speech is about -- but he can't avoid the consequences of expressing that speech. It's ironic that Carol Thatcher, whom I found myself liking despite loathing the politics of her mother, was sacked for a relatively innocuous comment on someone's hairstyle -- which wasnt' even broadcast, it was off-air -- yet Clarkson doesn't lose his job for telling me that my daughter should be dragged into the street and executed in front of me.

He'd have a fatter lip than he already has if he met me.
pumps100
The whole debate about Jeremy Clarkston (JC) does throw up a number of issues. The main one for me relates to corporate governance of the BBC which is a state organisation funded by the British Public.

BBC Worldwide is the commercial arm of the BBC which is responsible for the sales and licensing of BBC products. In its latest figures it turns over something like 1.2 bn with a profit of over 200 m per annum. Top Gear together with Doctor Who and a couple of others generate something like 30-40% of these figures. Bedder 6 Limited is a company which is 50% owned by BBC - the balance held by JC (30%) and his producer pal (20%) which hold the rights to Top Gear. In the last year of audited accounts JC pocketed 800,000 in dividends from Bedder 6 in addition to his 1m salary from the BBC. JC and the BBC also hold shares in another 'Top Gear' company which deals with the Top Gear Live and exhibition stuff which generates significant additional revenue.

The question really should be asked of BBC Trust whether it is fit and proper for a state organisation to support and promote private interests through such money laundering vehicles such as Bedder 6 Limited.

Regards

Ian
wellfield
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 3rd Dec 2011, 09:39am) *
Davie,

What is your point? Is this Honey Bee induced?

Regards

Ian

That's Davie bein' Davie!
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 2nd Dec 2011, 04:51pm) *
Rather like Marmite & A Question of Sport not everyone likes Top Gear.
Stewart Lee is one of my favourite comedians - he also is not a fan!
Quite a long clip, but if you have time:-

http://www.youtube.com/embed/w0i0RXMvzMs

Ian, all that this guy says is what I have been saying for years about Clarkson, his clown co-presenters and his ridiculous Top Gear. And I am not joking! Click to view attachment
*John*
Yes indeed Clarkson should be fired, how dare he have a sense of humour. How could that be tolerated if he's not running down the tories at every turn he shouldn't be permitted to say anything.

What he does prove is just how deep the political agenda has ingrained itself in everyday life, now humour is banned. It's absolutely pathetic and every person who whinges or has bleated on to the bbc is full well in the knowledge it was said tongue in cheek but then the bleating hearts living in the dream world believing that we can spend our way out this mire are trying to brainwash the rest of us. BLAME THE NASTY TORIES, BLAME ANYONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE WITH US, EVERYONE IS WRONG, KEEP OUR PENSIONS, GET EVERYONE ELSE TO PAY BUT DON'T EXPECT US TO PAY.

And of course get the witch hunters out against anyone with a sense of humour that does not appeal to our narrow minded, blind to the real world perspective of life and demand they be sacked.

People of all ilks are sick to the back teeth of such constant bleating, Jermey Clarkson is entitled to make a joke, if you don't like it don't watch it, yet another fantastic invention for democracy, the change the telly over button. I bet most of people who complained never even seen it but hey let's go for him because he's not some half-baked leftie wittering on about it all being someone else's fault.

THOSE WHO WRITE INTO THE BBC SOUND LIKE THE TOON COONCIL OF ATHENS.... WE STILL WANT IT ALL FUR NOTHING, LET THE EU PAY US IT ALL WHILE WE GIVE NOTHING!

JOIN THE REAL WORLD!
wombat
mellow.gif from the above rant ahm guessin your wan of jeremy's fans then? laugh.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (*John* @ 4th Dec 2011, 08:17pm) *
JOIN THE REAL WORLD!

Ah think I will pass on that wan, I doobt it could cope with me. laugh.gif

Dinnea get me started on PC <DILLIGAF>
Alex Saville
I take it your a Tory, then?
Alex
Rabbie
QUOTE (wombat @ 4th Dec 2011, 09:09pm) *
:mellow:from the above rant ahm guessin your wan of jeremy's fans then? laugh.gif

It could even be JC under a Nom de Plum!
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (*John* @ 4th Dec 2011, 09:17pm) *
Yes indeed Clarkson should be fired, how dare he have a sense of humour. How could that be tolerated if he's not running down the tories at every turn he shouldn't be permitted to say anything.

Yes indeed, how dare anybody take offence at boorish idiocies. I can't think why I should be dismayed he should tell me my daughter should be shot dead in front of her children. Silly me.

It's absolutely pathetic and every person who whinges or has bleated on to the bbc is full well in the knowledge it was said tongue in cheek

Lucky us we have you to know what everyone else thinks and to speak on our behalf. Good job you appointed yourself.

EVERYONE IS WRONG, KEEP OUR PENSIONS, GET EVERYONE ELSE TO PAY BUT DON'T EXPECT US TO PAY.

They do pay for their pensions.

People of all ilks are sick to the back teeth of such constant bleating

Thank heavens, once more, you've appointed yourself to speak on behalf of everybody else.

I bet most of people who complained never even seen it

I saw it.

JOIN THE REAL WORLD!

Luke 4:23.
GG
Looks like John read comedian Dom Joly in the Sun yesterday!

I did too because WH Smith literally forced it on me at the checkout by saying that if I bought the Sun (in addition to my other purchases) my bill would actually be 40p cheaper! Skipping through the trash, I stopped at Dom's peiece and I must admit that it made me think a bit. However, in the end, I can't really see much similarity between Clarkson's comments and Basil Fawlty's 'Don't Mention The War' sketch. Sometimes anodyne stupidity is just that ... and there's really not much else to say about it!

We need to keep a sense of humour about 'Executegate'
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/featu...tegate-row.html

GG.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Dec 2011, 11:50pm) *
Sometimes anodyne stupidity is just that ... and there's really not much else to say about it!

Quite so. Jeremy Clarkson is media-aware, so he can't blame his gaff on a mere thoughtless lapse. Indeed, there's some suggestions that the incident was contrived. Whilst I have a lot of sympathy for the observation of Dom Joly that people can be oversensitive to offence, I don't share the view that this therefore means a free-for-all where anything goes as long as you call it 'comedy'. If it's all about crossing lines and mentioning the unmentionable, how many comedy routines can Dom Joly rustle up about murder victims, that would make him a riot of laughter at parties?

I can see the substance of the defence that Clarkson didn't really mean it, but if he wants to throw the cat among the pigeons, he's going to have to accept the risk of a ton of birdshit from a great height.
*John*
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Dec 2011, 10:50pm) *
Looks like John read comedian Dom Joly in the Sun yesterday!

GG.

I don't buy the Sun, don't buy any papers.... after all we have heard a thousand times about the papers being wrong and if you do read them you're misinformed.
tamhickey
Dom Joly is totally wrong with this article, if indeed he actually wrote it. Clarkson, despite what many people may believe, has never been a professional comedian and it shows. How would he like it if others were to say he should die in a horrendous car crash in front of his family? To me, this just shows a complete lack of respect to others whether you agree or disagree with their actions.
2 million people took strike action and lost a days pay; something you don't do lightly especially with Christmas and New Year coming up.
Public sector workers have paid for their pensions and the Government are simply robbing their funds and blaming it all on the workers! You couldn't make it up. It's like something out of Yes Minister. They also tried the divide and rule tactic saying private sector workers didn't have access to such "gilt edged" pensions. That's a laugh. I worked in the Civil Service for 15 years and my pension is estimated to be just under 3,000 a year. So much for gilt edged pensions. I will also have to wait longer until my pension accrues due to this lot changing the retirement and pensionable age requirements, so my question would be, what's so funny Jeremy? You front a show for the BBC on 1.2m per year of our license fees. Why? What makes this idiot believe he's worth this amount of cash yet the "greedy strikers" deserve to be executed? No, it's not funny, it's an affront to ordinary people struggling to get by.
He should go now.
anonymous
Here's a motoring related item big brave Jeremy should comment on, maybe he could do a Top Gear Special from Riyadh.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/201...97311322832741/

ashfield
If the comments he made on the "One Show" had been the first itme he had used offensive and insulting language, there might have been a case for his defence. He is, in this context, a serial offender. What he thinks is "edgy" comedy is nothing more than a lack of humanity and common human decency. The biggest insult is that the bulk of those 2m strikers probably pay for their licence fee and by so doing conribute to his income.

There are those in the public eye who have said less and lost their jobs, money talks right enough.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (ashfield @ 5th Dec 2011, 09:18am) *
If the comments he made on the "One Show" had been the first itme he had used offensive and insulting language, there might have been a case for his defence.

The irony here is that Carol Thatcher was sacked from The One Show for remarks made when the show wasn't even on air. One can draw conclusions about the reasons why they were treated so differently when arguably Clarkson's 'offence' was the greater.

TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 4th Dec 2011, 11:04pm) *
... but if he wants to throw the cat among the pigeons, he's going to have to accept the risk of a ton of birdshit from a great height.

laugh.gif Laughed all the way to coffee pot ... and back. laugh.gif
tombro
Having a retired train driver as a friend and unfortunately one who has been placed in the position described by Mr Clarkson (who I am completely ambivalent about), I would ask those who feel Mr Clarkson has overstepped the mark to reconsider.

I am driving a train and, as I come around a bend in the track, there is a person lying on the tracks (maybe even smiling at me) who wants to end their life !

Suicide is not nice and the ones most affected by it are the innocents involved, whether they be family or totally unconnected.

Tombro huh.gif
ashfield
Tombro, you raise a good point. As it happens I think Clarkson underestimated the number of people who commit suicide this way every year. It must be the most dreadful incident for any driver to cope with.

Notwithstanding that, Clarkson no doubt thought he was being funny, he was complaining about the "inconvenience" to the travelling public and the real trauma suffered by drivers got trivialised in the process. Even less thought was given to what despair pushes people into such an act, or the thousands of relatives and friends of those who have died this way in the past.

He is crass, disrespectful and not in the least funny.
tombro
As I said, Ashfield, I am completely ambivalent about Mr Clarkson. Like most television personalities he thinks he is above reproach.

Tombro
wombat
rolleyes.gif thankfully theres 14 other channels tombro,wunner if its just the money/wealth that changes a personality,as we're not born crass and disrespectful like jermy and im sure jermy wasnt either biggrin.gif So ?
proudmaryhiller
He's just a PLONKER mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.